Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Simon Mignolet Player Thread: > Club Bruges

Read 307760 times
      jtrollip
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 192 posts |
      Re: Simon Mignolet Player Thread
      Reply #598: Aug 18, 2014 11:17:54 pm
      Yeah I'm not sure why some people give him so much grief.

Shot stopping and reflexes can't be taught. Whereas distribution and coming for crosses can be improved upon.

I do think we need backup, but I think Simon is fine for now.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #599: Aug 19, 2014 07:24:39 am
      Was an unbelievable save at the death. Had that been Courtois or De Gay, they´d have it on the MOTD opening credits.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #600: Aug 19, 2014 07:40:43 am
      Yeah I'm not sure why some people give him so much grief.

Shot stopping and reflexes can't be taught. Whereas distribution and coming for crosses can be improved upon.

I do think we need backup, but I think Simon is fine for now.

If we need back up we need back up; irrespective of Mignolet's greatly improved form the fact remains if he is unavailable for whatever reason there is no like for like replacement, have we learned nothing? Such false economies cost us dearly in the final game last season.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,689 posts | 6691 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #601: Aug 19, 2014 08:47:18 am
      3 Brilliant saves from Simon, saved us. Two of those were World Class the other got caught in the wind but he was clever enough to turn it around the post.

Opening day heroics just like last season.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #602: Aug 26, 2014 01:11:16 pm
      thought he could have done better last night what was going on with him and Glen with the second goal.Remember clean sheets it seems so long ago
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,897 posts | 816 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #603: Aug 26, 2014 01:19:46 pm
      thought he could have done better last night what was going on with him and Glen with the second goal.Remember clean sheets it seems so long ago

Maybe he could of shouted Glen out the way but in all honesty I expected Glen to clear it.

The 3rd goal worried me, his positioning put him im jeopardy and then he didn't get down quick enough, maybe being too critical (which is hardly always the case with me and mignolet) but I thought he could have done better.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #604: Aug 26, 2014 04:41:12 pm
      Probably should have done better with the 3rd goal having seen the replays but I don't think he cost us the match. There again 2-0 down makes it easier to get a result instead of 3-0?

I'm not going to be too harsh as he did win us the points the previous game.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #605: Aug 27, 2014 11:31:50 am
      Can I ask a question. Does anyone here think Simon Mignolet is one of the best goalkeepers in the premier league? I think he's decent but I can think of 7-8 goalkeepers in the PL that I would rather have, certainly not the best in PL or close to it IMO. Teams like Chelsea have two keepers that are significantly stronger than Migs.

I'm not blaming him for our defeat, he should have done better for that third goal but he wasn't the worst player, just a thought I've had for a while.

He can pull off amazing saves at times, I give him that, some phenomenon saves however he makes some silly mistakes, especially against big teams, his dominance in the box is questionable and his distribution, while improved, still isn't a patch on top goalkeepers around.

Not saying we need to sell him, but I still think the jury's out on him.

When I look at our strongest first team, I think he's the weakest player on that team (bar Johnson). Perhaps it just shows how good our outfield players are or maybe I'm just underrating Mignolet. I don't keeping Reina was the viable alternative either.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #606: Aug 27, 2014 12:20:48 pm
      Can I ask a question. Does anyone here think Simon Mignolet is one of the best goalkeepers in the premier league?

I do.
      jtrollip
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 192 posts |
      Reply #607: Aug 27, 2014 12:28:23 pm

It would be interesting to see who people rate above him

Lloris, De Gea, Thibault. Does anyone think Hart?
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #608: Aug 27, 2014 12:28:28 pm

Can I ask a question, as a query, where would you rank Mignolet when in comparison to to the other top goalkeepers in the PL? As I'd rate Cech, Coutrois, De Gea and Lloris as 4 keepers that I'd have over Mignolet any day. I think Hart, Howard and Begovic are slightly better too.  Szczesny being the only keeper from a top 7 club I wouldn't rate as highly as Migs.

I just feel like I'm not seeing something in him that other people do. Not having a go at Migs, just want to know what I'm missing.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #609: Aug 27, 2014 01:39:56 pm
      It would be interesting to see who people rate above him

Lloris, De Gea, Thibault. Does anyone think Hart?

Hart? Not for me.

The other three I'd say were the top three but I'd have Mig in a group just behind along with Begovic.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6356 
      Reply #610: Aug 27, 2014 01:45:59 pm
      Personally don't think Hart is anywhere near one of the best keepers. I also don't rate Lloris. I would however rate Howard possibly above Mignolet for one big reason being his leadership on the field and they way he directs his defense. And I'm a little biased because he's the keeper for the national team but I've always thought he's been an upper echelon keeper.

Migs is a good keeper, on some nights he's amazing on other nights pedestrian. Overall he doesn't seem quite suited to the vocal, sweeper role that Rodgers seems to prefer which makes it head scratching as to why Rodgers picked him up.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #611: Aug 27, 2014 01:57:27 pm
      I thought Mignolet was pretty poor against Citeh, excellent against Southampton. I am not quite ready to admit I was wrong in believing him to be a top goalkeeper but I am starting to have real doubts.

I would take Cech in a heartbeat above him and I don't believe Cech is what he once was.
      Bosnian_Red
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 50 posts |
      Reply #612: Aug 27, 2014 01:59:24 pm
      When we signed Mignolet last year, I personally feared whether he is a significant improvement on Reina. This season it is very unlikely that we will reach the 100th goal mark or even be close to it, so there will be all eyes directed to Mignolet and his form.

I know we have spend much money already, but I would so like that we bring in a keeper that can be a real competition to Migs.
      emsy28
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 545 posts | 12 
      Reply #613: Aug 27, 2014 04:46:42 pm
      His distribution is really poor from the ground, doesn't fill me with confidence at all in any part of his game. I'd be surprised if he's our no 1 keeper next year.

Don't rate him at all
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2765 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #614: Aug 27, 2014 05:27:21 pm
      Can I ask a question. Does anyone here think Simon Mignolet is one of the best goalkeepers in the premier league? I think he's decent but I can think of 7-8 goalkeepers in the PL that I would rather have, certainly not the best in PL or close to it IMO. Teams like Chelsea have two keepers that are significantly stronger than Migs.

You have named 2 name the rest out of interest.

And no shame being second best to the 2 Chelsea lads. Cech is probably one of the 3 best to ever play in the premier league and Courtois will become the best in the world
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #615: Aug 27, 2014 05:33:29 pm
      Should of done better for the third, but the other two can't fault him.

Let's not forget he saved us two points last week against Southampton with what was the save of the season for me so far.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #616: Aug 27, 2014 05:37:34 pm
      You have named 2 name the rest out of interest.

And no shame being second best to the 2 Chelsea lads. Cech is probably one of the 3 best to ever play in the premier league and Courtois will become the best in the world

I'd rate Cech, Coutrois, De Gea and Lloris as 4 keepers that I'd have over Mignolet any day. I think Hart, Howard and Begovic are slightly better too.  Szczesny being the only keeper from a top 7 club I wouldn't rate as highly as Migs.

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,288 posts | 2806 
      Reply #617: Aug 27, 2014 05:41:03 pm
      Must say his dip in form over the since that Everton game last year (where he conceded three but still had one of the best games I've seen a Liverpool keeper have) is starting to get a bit worrying. Yes he's had a couple of great games like Southampton but overall it hasn't been great. Maybe signing a keeper before the window shuts might do the trick and bring the best out of him because let's face it right now he's got to have a few absolutely terrible games to get dropped for Brad Jones!

Also a bit surprised that people rate Simon over Hart, would have Hart everyday of the week personally.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #618: Aug 27, 2014 05:49:17 pm
      I'd rate Cech, Coutrois, De Gea and Lloris as 4 keepers that I'd have over Mignolet any day. I think Hart, Howard and Begovic are slightly better too.  Szczesny being the only keeper from a top 7 club I wouldn't rate as highly as Migs.

Almost exactly the same as I see it too mate.

I'd rank them currently as:

Courtois
      Cech
      Lloris
      De Gea
      Howard
      Begovic
      Mignolet
      Hart

Migs on his day can be an exceptional shot stopper and that's why I was most worried about the 3rd goal we conceded. It was caused by him trying to come out and narrow an angle that didn't need narrowing. It was awful keeping and for now I'll put it down as an error of judgement but if more of those appeared he would become a real liability.

Certainly highlights a worry of him playing in a high-line defence.

I have seen him trying to improve some of the things he's weak at, so that's encouraging but the basics can't fall apart while you're at it.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #619: Aug 27, 2014 06:11:24 pm
      Courtois
      Cech
      De Gea
      Lloris
      Mignolet
      Howard
      Begovic
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #620: Aug 27, 2014 06:15:49 pm
      Can I ask a question. Does anyone here think Simon Mignolet is one of the best goalkeepers in the premier league?

Not a chance, nowhere near IMO. One of the best shot stoppers but aside from that he doesn't have many qualities you'd expect him to have being at a team that's looking to compete on all fronts.

Quick Reply