Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Simon Mignolet Player Thread: > Club Bruges

Read 308236 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,225 posts | 2805 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Simon Mignolet Player Thread
      Reply #644: Sep 17, 2014 06:37:29 pm
      "Federer-Liverpool football club" one does not belong with the other
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #645: Sep 17, 2014 07:38:03 pm
      I think he can learn though and hone in on his decision making skills and communication. Surely that's up to John Achterberg to instill that in Mignolet.

In the last few games I've seen things that have impressed me, such as him being much louder at corners for example when coming to claim the ball. But what he was thinking last night for their goal is beyond me, Lovren was also at fault for being the wrong side of the striker but why Mignolet didn't go back towards goal, I don't know.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #646: Sep 17, 2014 07:50:15 pm
      The lad needs competition. Valdes could be good option.
      Still rate Migs, though he has still plenty to learn.
      He has improved his distribution, and with ball at his feet - initially he was very slow on the ball, heart in mouth stuff. Not so much anymore.
      But crosses/decision making can still be off.

In fairness to him, think he's suffering from general lack of defensive attention and organization of not just the defenders, but through side in general. Though am probably in the minority.
      LFC Dynamo
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      Reply #647: Sep 19, 2014 08:09:06 pm
      Hopefully we will get Valdes because this guy isn't good enough.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,184 posts | 832 
      Reply #648: Sep 20, 2014 06:29:36 pm
      Another cock up today
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #649: Sep 20, 2014 07:48:17 pm
      Only his reflexes are good. Apart from that, his positioning is poor, poor in the air, poor in crosses, poor in one on ones. Was he acquired for £10m? Seems like we overpaid.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #650: Sep 20, 2014 07:50:37 pm
      Said it a few weeks ago how I didn't think he was very good.

Some people replied saying they thought he was one of the best in the PL.

After the last few performances, I still haven't seen anything to improve my opinion. Mignolet is not good enough for liverpool.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,916 posts | 820 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #651: Sep 20, 2014 07:51:01 pm
      His nervousness spreads out to the team i feel. Maybe i am being harsh but if he commanded his box for their 1st goal maybe our defense would of pushed on in performance, instead he watched it go over him like he did the second goal.

Needs to get his act together, for me his performances if improve will help our defense improve, until he starts showing some confidence in the air i can't see any defensive improvements from set pieces.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #652: Sep 20, 2014 07:51:15 pm
      Only his reflexes are good. Apart from that, his positioning is poor, poor in the air, poor in crosses, poor in one on ones. Was he acquired for £10m? Seems like we overpaid.

I don't think his reflexes and shot stopping are even that good, just seem it because he is so bad at everything else because even when he stops a shot he still looks uncomfortable. I can't believe we pushed Reina out for this guy, he's F***ing useless for a team that's supposed to be competing on all fronts. I'd have much preferred Begovic.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #653: Sep 20, 2014 08:15:48 pm
      Dire again, doesn't know where his feet should be and we're now seeing why he doesn't come off his line, because he hasn't got a single clue when he does.

If I'm honest, I don't think this is "just a spell" I think we absolutely need an improvement in goal.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #654: Sep 20, 2014 08:20:46 pm
      If I'm honest, I don't think this is "just a spell" I think we absolutely need an improvement in goal.

It's vital because IMO, despite the defence not playing well themselves, I don't think they are filled with any confidence at all by the keeper.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #655: Sep 20, 2014 09:02:18 pm
      What Mignolet is going through reminds me of what happened to Reina, just at a quicker pace. Having zero competition has made him so complacent that his performances dip tremendously and (guessing here) he feels he doesn't have to train as hard.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #656: Sep 20, 2014 09:04:20 pm
      we spent a fortune on him and let Pepe go for next to nothing to Bayern. Ego's should be put aside when it comes to what is best for the club and Brendan wanted him out and we are left with a goal keeper who is not a patch on Pepe or even Dudek for that matter
      welshy7777
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 155 posts |
      Reply #657: Sep 20, 2014 09:59:00 pm
      He's average got away with it last year seeing as we were scoring more than we were conceding.Inspires uncertainty amongst defenders,doesn't command his box or come for corners,his distribution is poor,too slow at setting up counters,panics with the ball at his feet....need I go on,get Victor Valdes in
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,184 posts | 832 
      Reply #658: Sep 20, 2014 11:45:08 pm
      I don't think his reflexes and shot stopping are even that good, just seem it because he is so bad at everything else because even when he stops a shot he still looks uncomfortable. I can't believe we pushed Reina out for this guy, he's f**king useless for a team that's supposed to be competing on all fronts. I'd have much preferred Begovic.

He makes a lot of camera saves mate, his positioning is average
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #659: Sep 21, 2014 12:00:48 am
      It's vital because IMO, despite the defence not playing well themselves, I don't think they are filled with any confidence at all by the keeper.

But does our defence give our keeper any confidence?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #660: Sep 21, 2014 12:43:29 am
      But does our defence give our keeper any confidence?

You know that is a good question mate and a fair point. The shaky defending could well be making him feel a lack of confidence but the fact that we have had so many defencive combinations;

Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Enrique
      Johnson, Agger, Sakho, Enrique
      Johnson, Skrtel, Sakho, Enrique
      etc
      etc
      etc

Surely he wouldn't be feeling a lack of confidence across them all. You know, Rodgers has given probably every combination available to him a go and I remember doing quite a detailed post about every single combination and results a couple of months ago that showed that they are all providing about the same results.

It's a strange one because we have games where Migs is dire but the defence does reasonably well and then games like Spurs where we have Lovren and Sakho getting in each others way and but not for Migs they'd have scored. I think they probably feel a lack of confidence in each other.

Either way Rodgers needs to address the problem and quickly because however well we may do with Balotelli, Sturridge and Sterling, I doubt it will produce as many goals as Suarez and Sturridge so it's vital we start getting a better approach to our defending because we wont get away with just outscoring the opposition regardless of how many they score like we did last season (i.e the 5-3 win over Stoke).
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #661: Sep 21, 2014 12:47:21 am
      You know that is a good question mate and a fair point. The shaky defending could well be making him feel a lack of confidence but the fact that we have had so many defencive combinations

It's difficult to say for sure mate but I just have a feeling Migs is a guy who will be more confident behind a settled back four.

federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #662: Sep 21, 2014 08:29:12 am
      if Mignolet is interested in committing any crimes then now would be the time as it seems that no matter how awful he is, some will never think anything is his fault.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #663: Sep 21, 2014 09:36:29 am
      Attack this keeper with crosses. One of them will go in over 90 min of play.
      Exploit space behind Skrtel and Lovern, you will get a one on one. He doesn't know where to stand. Any striker will bury it.
      emsy28
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 545 posts | 12 
      Reply #664: Sep 21, 2014 05:10:31 pm
      Distribution is a big problem with him too. Balloons every clearance, lack power in every way
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #665: Sep 21, 2014 05:19:44 pm
      Confidence breeds success... Simon is low on this - which is worrying the defence and causing them to 'over work / over play' and make mistakes. What he needs to work on is managing crosses and commanding the area, this has cost us a few goals lately and he really needs to sort it out.

Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #666: Sep 21, 2014 05:49:41 pm
      I know this is going back a bit but when we signed him did anyone recognise him as particularly exceptional?
      I think he came as an average keeper, he's taken a dip and became a poor keeper.
      Least with Pepe he arrived exceptional, took a dip after 6 years and became average. There's no return for this keeper Valdes will be our no 1 as soon as he signs

Quick Reply