Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Simon Mignolet Player Thread: > Club Bruges

Read 308403 times
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Re: Simon Mignolet Player Thread
      Reply #690: Sep 30, 2014 09:10:25 pm
      Really interesting watching MNF last night. Really worrying that those kind of technical issues in his game weren't picked up long ago, who is our goalkeeping coach and what's he been up to?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #691: Sep 30, 2014 10:02:52 pm
      ho is our goalkeeping coach and what's he been up to?

Must be the one organising all the head tennis.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #692: Sep 30, 2014 10:02:58 pm
      Would have been the best save I've ever seen to stop that shot on Saturday.
      jtrollip
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 192 posts |
      Reply #693: Sep 30, 2014 10:29:54 pm

True that
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #694: Sep 30, 2014 10:46:27 pm
      Really interesting watching MNF last night. Really worrying that those kind of technical issues in his game weren't picked up long ago, who is our goalkeeping coach and what's he been up to?

Neville made some excellent points and something the average fan wouldn't notice. But you're right, it is something I'd expect our goalkeeping coaches to notice!
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #695: Sep 30, 2014 11:08:31 pm

I dunno it's not plub in the corner. Still would've been an excellent save but save able
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #696: Oct 01, 2014 12:11:03 am
      Neville made some excellent points and something the average fan wouldn't notice. But you're right, it is something I'd expect our goalkeeping coaches to notice!

I haven't seen MNF with Neville but I'm just wondering was he really as 'right' as everyone seems to be saying as I'm not sure how much of an expert Gary Neville is on goalkeeping.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #697: Oct 01, 2014 12:58:36 am
      I haven't seen MNF with Neville but I'm just wondering was he really as 'right' as everyone seems to be saying as I'm not sure how much of an expert Gary Neville is on goalkeeping.

Didn't you know.. bag of lemons face has got a big computer to play on when he's on Sky Sports and everyone takes his word as gospel.
      Mr hindsight Neville, who worked wonders with coaching of England right?
      I don't listen to the guy or watch his show with Carragher, I've seen it before so I know what it consists of.
      Cringe tv.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #698: Oct 01, 2014 08:42:29 am
      Didn't you know.. bag of lemons face has got a big computer to play on when he's on Sky Sports and everyone takes his word as gospel.
      Mr hindsight Neville, who worked wonders with coaching of England right?
      I don't listen to the guy or watch his show with Carragher, I've seen it before so I know what it consists of.
      Cringe tv.

Is correct, Mr Replay Neville has done F**k all to demand we drop our ale, gasp in amazement or accept as gospel his comment.
      His prowess in his favoured position was nothing to write home about and now all of a sudden he is qualified to advise on every aspect of on field activity, assorted mascots be warned.
      F***ing manc gimp.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #699: Oct 01, 2014 10:42:11 am
      Is correct, Mr Replay Neville has done f**k all to demand we drop our ale, gasp in amazement or accept as gospel his comment.
      His prowess in his favoured position was nothing to write home about and now all of a sudden he is qualified to advise on every aspect of on field activity, assorted mascots be warned.
      F***ing manc gimp.

He did qualify by saying he was no goal keeping expert but the little he did learn about the position doing his badges was in contrast to parts of Migs technique. The damning indictment was comparing to Neuer. Migs is like a little cowering school boy in comparison
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #700: Oct 01, 2014 10:50:13 am
      Just because he wasn't a goalkeeper doesn't mean he wasn't right. Most that disagree with him are doing so because he used to play for United.  When you see a split screen comparison between his stance and Neuer's when shots are coming in on goal it is obvious that Mignolet isn't performing to a high enough standard. He struggles to catch in crowds, he offers no communication to his defence, he's scared to rush out and he constantly tries to tip shots all over the place before attempting a catch. 

So basically, some are saying people can't question Mignolet's performances unless they were a goalkeeper themselves? baffling! He's been sh*t for a long time.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #701: Oct 01, 2014 10:53:14 am
      He did qualify by saying he was no goal keeping expert but the little he did learn about the position doing his badges was in contrast to parts of Migs technique. The damning indictment was comparing to Neuer. Migs is like a little cowering school boy in comparison

Not sure why its' damning, he was showing a comparison between one level of technique to Mignolet's. Who he compared him to has no relevance. It could have been Courtois for example...
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #702: Oct 01, 2014 11:04:39 am
      He did play for the scum and he is a n*b.
      Did Neuer have the shield at Bayern that Mignolet contemplates at LFC?
      No.
      The analogy, comparison, bollocks is what it is - untenable and empty comment.
      He could compare him to any 'keeper in the last 50 years and the same point would apply - it would not be an entirely feasible proposition.
      How confident would you feel in a flood situation below flood level with all the doors open?
      A better analogy than the Neuer one.
      No great admirer of Mignolet but can do without that arsehole's negativity all F***ing day.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #703: Oct 01, 2014 12:51:10 pm
      Not sure why its' damning, he was showing a comparison between one level of technique to Mignolet's. Who he compared him to has no relevance. It could have been Courtois for example...

He was comparing a good technique and a sh*t one. He was comparing a good keeper and a sh*t one. When it's put in front of you clear to see that's why it's damning
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,242 posts | 2818 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #704: Oct 01, 2014 01:11:57 pm
      If we ignore the fact its Gary Neville who raised the issue, it could have been Ray Clemence, its not important, whats important is what he highlighted was spot on.

Some things are obvious particularly with keeprs examples with Mignolet

. Too stuck to his line
      . Communication weakness
      . not great at commanding the area
      . Good shot stopper

Not so obvious was this strange starting position of hunched down. Neville highlighted it and backed it up with evidence. Amazingly it shows how close Mignolet got to Jagielkas shot on Saturday, not far off at all and had he stood tall his reach would hve increased and he would most likely have palmed it over or out. Ditto the goals v City and Arsenal last year.

As I said yesterday the annoying thing about Neville picking it up is not that he picks it up but it appears a pundit is better at finding weakness in our keeper then our keeper coach!
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #705: Oct 01, 2014 01:16:41 pm
      I've never played in goal, and have little idea about the nuances of the position past the basics, but to address the "crouched down" aspect of the criticism, is it easier for him to actually see what's going on in front of him in a crowded area if he crouches?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #706: Oct 01, 2014 07:36:34 pm
      If we ignore the fact its Gary Neville who raised the issue, it could have been Ray Clemence, its not important, whats important is what he highlighted was spot on.

Some things are obvious particularly with keeprs examples with Mignolet

. Too stuck to his line
      . Communication weakness
      . not great at commanding the area
      . Good shot stopper

Not so obvious was this strange starting position of hunched down. Neville highlighted it and backed it up with evidence. Amazingly it shows how close Mignolet got to Jagielkas shot on Saturday, not far off at all and had he stood tall his reach would hve increased and he would most likely have palmed it over or out. Ditto the goals v City and Arsenal last year.

As I said yesterday the annoying thing about Neville picking it up is not that he picks it up but it appears a pundit is better at finding weakness in our keeper then our keeper coach!

This.
      TheRedPanda
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 362 posts | 82 
      Reply #707: Oct 20, 2014 04:12:43 am
      Surprised no one has come in to praise the lad. Credit where it's due, I think was very good yesterday, saved us the points. xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #708: Oct 20, 2014 04:20:03 am
      Had one horrible moment that should've cost us a goal, but he then made I think 3 really good stops, just needs to keep working on his decision making because his shot stopping is brilliant
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,349 posts | 1622 
      Reply #709: Oct 22, 2014 08:40:30 pm
      Never thought id say this about a Liverpool player but I thought thst was pretty gutless by migs for that 3rd gosl could have easily pounced on that  instead of trying to jump in with feet right pissed about that .
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #710: Oct 22, 2014 09:11:52 pm
      The sooner he's replaced the better. Clearly not a top level keeper.

LiverpoolCornhusker
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 656 posts | 24 
      Reply #711: Oct 22, 2014 09:43:11 pm
      Never thought id say this about a Liverpool player but I thought thst was pretty gutless by migs for that 3rd gosl could have easily pounced on that  instead of trying to jump in with feet right pissed about that .

unbelievably soft there, fuming about that myself mate
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,349 posts | 1622 
      Reply #712: Oct 22, 2014 10:58:33 pm
      unbelievably soft there, fuming about that myself mate
      He just isnt commanding enough  the more and more I watch him the more it makes getting shot of pepe look like a momumental mistake by BR id take Pepe any day of the week  Between him and the centre backs we look fvkin cronic.

Quick Reply