Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Simon Mignolet Player Thread: > Club Bruges

Read 308048 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Simon Mignolet Player Thread
      Reply #713: Oct 22, 2014 11:00:58 pm
      He just isnt commanding enough  the more and more I watch him the more it makes getting shot of pepe look like a momumental mistake by BR id take Pepe any day of the week  Between him and the centre backs we look fvkin cronic.

Pepe went for £1 million ? its a F***ing joke
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #714: Oct 22, 2014 11:03:53 pm
      I remember not knowing what we would get from Jamo, Brucie before him, but both were far better keepers than this lad..

Westerveld was a clown, but this fella could be the worst of the lot
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #715: Oct 22, 2014 11:04:36 pm
      Not good. Very not good.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,345 posts | 1620 
      Reply #716: Oct 22, 2014 11:08:36 pm
      Pepe went for £1 million ? its a F***ing joke
      Trouble is mate the joke is on us , the same problema still exist from last season and absolutely fvk all has been done to address the problem  to say its a joke is an understatement .
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #717: Oct 23, 2014 12:08:48 am
      As time goes on the more I think he isn't cut out for a team in the top 10 let alone a team that's meant to be competing on all fronts.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,171 posts | 829 
      Reply #718: Oct 23, 2014 12:41:46 am
      As time goes on the more I think he isn't cut out for a team in the top 10 let alone a team that's meant to be competing on all fronts.

Absolutely

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #719: Oct 23, 2014 12:47:51 am

I know, without a single shred of doubt I'd prefer Reina there.

When the defence is F***ing up at least he lets them F***ing hear it is a start. Mistake after mistake by Skrtel and Johnson yet Johnson still has time to have a laugh and a joke with his mate Cristiano.

We need an animal that people fear to stop the self pity and acceptance of mediocrity that's abound back there. I don't know, someone like a Mascherano or Carragher, who if you made a mistake you wouldn't want to go in for the half-time team talk for the fear he might just chin ya. None of that, they all look scared of the football let alone the opposition.

Souness backpeddled a little on calling Mignolet a coward, I wouldn't. Put a Reina/Grobs/Clem in that situation tonight for the 3rd and they'd have taken a boot to the head to ensure the Madrid lad doesn't get a touch.

Seems we're coached to not tackle too, not have fight, win pretty but if you can't win don't try every means necessary to win ugly. As much as I don't think Flanno is the best defender his passion tonight would have been exactly what we needed some kid who lives and dies for the club would have shown up some of these pretenders at the back for what they truly are, hard men, don't make me F***ing laugh.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #720: Oct 23, 2014 02:58:16 am
      funny how it was called "trolling" when I said over the summer that Mignolet wasn't good enough.

Now that it's abundantly clear it's apparently okay to say it.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #721: Oct 23, 2014 03:24:59 am
      One of the worst displays of cowardice I have seen on a football pitch for a long time.

Wouldn't want to be in a trench with this lad that's for sure.

What are the consequences for him though not like he will be dropped for Jones on the weekend?
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #722: Oct 23, 2014 03:41:31 am
      What are the consequences for him though not like he will be dropped for Jones on the weekend?
      Was saying exactly the same to my mate on the way to the game, I believe it was one of the problems with Pepe's drop in high standards aswell. If you've no proper competition behind you, you're not been pushed to your maximum potential I'm afraid.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,721 posts | 6707 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #723: Oct 23, 2014 07:00:10 am
      Lad is to scared to come out to ther edge of his box, stands there and invites all sorts of pressure on us. He has no communication with the Defenders and his kick outs are atrocious. I really do hope we get a new keeper come January or sooner if possible. Apart from his shot stopping he has nothing else to his game and that's not good enough for a Club like LFC.
      Redmen
      • Forum Ian St John

• 429 posts | 61 
      Reply #724: Oct 23, 2014 09:13:23 am
      Really poor again and although he's a good shot stopper we just can't afford him to throw one in as often as he does.

His ability with the ball at his feet is as poor as his lackadaisical attitude when he has it. He constantly puts people in trouble with his distribution which makes me wonder what BR saw before he bought him considering he likes teams to build from back.

I wasn't convinced last year but he seems to have went backwards since then.
      I just don't understand why we havnt strenghened the competition for his place. BR has had plenty of time to do it.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #725: Oct 23, 2014 09:53:23 am
      Worst goalkeeper I can remember us having (first team GK, of course).

Cannot distribute the ball, makes awful decisions to attack the ball and constantly fails to connect with it. The guy is a shambles. He is as bad as the four defenders that play ahead of him.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,601 posts | 3841 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #726: Oct 23, 2014 10:59:00 am
      Yeah F**k it. Glad we let Pepe go so that there is no genuine competition for this guy.
      Mignolet's form has dipped severely from the middle of last season.
      Yet still Jones steals a living on the bench.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,264 posts | 6365 
      Reply #727: Oct 23, 2014 12:53:07 pm
      Yeah f**k it. Glad we let Pepe go so that there is no genuine competition for this guy.
      Mignolet's form has dipped severely from the middle of last season.
      Yet still Jones steals a living on the bench.

I've never thought Jones was of the quality to lead us in the back but at this point I think I'd rather see him starting games if for no other reason to show smush face that he can't continue to play like 12 year old girl between the sticks.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #728: Oct 23, 2014 12:58:30 pm
      I'd love to see a montage of every corner or cross from the wings we've faced and how many Mignolet has come out and caught.  Say what you like about Reina - he used to catch a football.

Big problems for me with him:

1. Either punches the ball back into dangerous areas or tips them round the post for an unnecessary corner when he has the opportunity to catch. Invites loads of pressure on to us.

2. Poor distribution - noticed he likes to 'float' his kicks to just before the half-way line giving opposing players extra time to try and win the ball.

3. Useless at the quick throw out - starting counter-attacking moves (something he actually did manage a few times last season but this season..)

4. Doesn't know whether to come off his line or not - frequently ends up in no mans land.

5. Hasn't got the strength of character to ever bollock players in front of him - nowhere near as vocal or commanding as I expect an LFC goalkeeper to be.

6. Got a quiff.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Reply #729: Oct 23, 2014 01:28:57 pm
      No pressure for the staring slot as Jones is the only competition he has, needs a rocket up his arse.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #730: Oct 23, 2014 01:36:24 pm
      I don't think you are allowed to have artificial aids to help you get your fat arse of the ground.

ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #731: Oct 23, 2014 01:42:07 pm
      Like every player, he does some things right and gets some things wrong, and that's fine. But at the moment, he is committing more wrong than right. Some silly mistakes time and again.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #732: Oct 23, 2014 01:53:50 pm

Made me laugh that JD!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,170 posts | 4904 
      Reply #733: Oct 23, 2014 06:27:07 pm

Me too.

I know I'm in the minority, possibly of one, but I still think he can be good enough for us and a lot if his issues stem from the shaky defense in front of him.

I know both need to blend together but it can't be easy having to keep goal in such an open team.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #734: Oct 23, 2014 06:33:15 pm

Me too.

I know I'm in the minority, possibly of one, but I still think he can be good enough for us and a lot if his issues stem from the shaky defense in front of him.

I know both need to blend together but it can't be easy having to keep goal in such an open team.

I agree Si...I see a player that has all the physical talents to get the job done, I also see a player now that has lost confidence in himself and has no confidence with those tasked to defend in front of him.
      CHOW87
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 53 posts |
      Reply #735: Oct 23, 2014 09:41:01 pm
      Since it looks like Valdes won't be joining, Mignolet will continue as first choice for the foreseeable future. I'd like to think BR would see the need for a new keeper in January, but how often do you see a top-class keeper switch clubs in January? I'd love to see Liverpool make a move for Cech but can't see Chelsea selling him to a rival.

It's often said that a decent keeper is worth fifteen points a season, but Mignolet's costing us points rather than winning them.

I know he isn't helped by a shaky defence but the one thing that helps a new back four to gel is a commanding goalkeeper behind them, and commanding he ain't.

Quick Reply