Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Simon Mignolet Player Thread: > Club Bruges

Read 308293 times
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Re: Simon Mignolet Player Thread
      Reply #943: Dec 04, 2014 01:54:32 pm
      He cost the same as ter Stegen, more than Courtois and Cech. His wages would be similar to Courtois, too.

So we aren't "getting what we paid for". We're getting sh*te from a lad bought for a price in the lower-top echelon of prices for keepers.
      I get your point on what we have spent vs how much has been delivered. But that's a judgement call our deal makers have to make. How much to pay vs how error prone the player will be. Our transfer model involves not overpaying, but we bear an element of risk of the player not performing.

It's all judgement vs valuation. We probably do not have as good judgement as Chelsea. But FSG is definitely no financial fool. Who is to say that there won't be a clawback on Simon's contract if he doesn't deliver certain milestones?

Fans are difficult to please. We complain when we can't get a deal done. We also complain when we get our player but they rear their ugly head. FSG is more interested in making money than pleasing the fans, I last checked. We may have to pay more for tickets soon.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #944: Dec 07, 2014 08:17:48 am
      For us not to have up and coming goalies (at least) in our ranks whether it be on loan or whatever is unforgivable.
      Haven't got a problem with Miggo today obviously.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #945: Dec 07, 2014 09:08:59 am
      For us not to have up and coming goalies (at least) in our ranks whether it be on loan or whatever is unforgivable.
      Haven't got a problem with Miggo today obviously.

Another instance where the ''long term'' interests of the club and ''seeking out potential'' sound bytes from our owners are shown up for what they are.
      Unqualified bullshit at best designed to stifle calls for immediate financial input.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #946: Dec 07, 2014 09:43:32 am
      He cost the same as ter Stegen, more than Courtois and Cech.

that's F***ing depressing.
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 496 posts | 80 
      Reply #947: Dec 09, 2014 11:54:48 pm
      Did nothing wrong today. Yes such a scapegoat it's unreal.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #948: Dec 09, 2014 11:56:12 pm
      He's the worst first choice keeper I can remember at Anfield in my time. At least David James could kick a ball to his team-mates.

federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #949: Dec 10, 2014 12:08:57 am
      He's the worst first choice keeper I can remember at Anfield in my time..

Still think James just nicks Migs to the worst keeper trophy but indeed Mignolet is truly utter, utter sh*te.

Nonetheless he wasn't at fault for what happened against Basel.  He didn't do anything stupid like against Leicester or kick it into touch like against Palace.

Might be harsh but I did wonder why he didn't at least dive for it on the goal, I didn't see a replay from behind the goal, maybe his view was blocked or something.  But him just standing there while the ball rolled in reminded me of Pepe's last season when he stopped trying for balls too.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #950: Dec 10, 2014 12:11:30 am
      Did nothing wrong today. Yes such a scapegoat it's unreal.

Very true. It's funny sometimes how even when EVERYONE is playing sh!te, only one or two players will be made scapegoats. That was the best team we've played against since Madrid and Chelsea, and to be fair I thought the defence by and large did pretty well (including Mignolet).
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #951: Dec 10, 2014 10:30:41 am
      The lad is lacking in confidence, which is affecting all the players in front of him.

Distribution = poor
      Confidence = low
      Decision Making = awful

He didn't even dive for their goal, I expect a Liverpool goalkeeper to try to save all shots or at least make an effort!!

We're getting to a stage where defenders are going to have to take Goal Kicks for him.

I for one expect us to review this in January and correct the mistake.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #952: Dec 10, 2014 10:33:18 am
      I can't agree with the "he didn't even dive for the goal" line (although obviously he didn't dive for it but you get my drift). He was unsighted and it was a crisply struck shot which he had absolutely no chance of getting. What he did do in all probability is do what most goalkeepers do in that situation, pray like f*** it goes wide.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #953: Dec 10, 2014 11:47:35 am
      Very true. It's funny sometimes how even when EVERYONE is playing sh!te, only one or two players will be made scapegoats. That was the best team we've played against since Madrid and Chelsea, and to be fair I thought the defence by and large did pretty well (including Mignolet).

You're watching a totally different game.

He made a couple of decent stops but overall he was sh*te as usual.

Enrique was awful, Johnson not much better, Skrtel was poor and Lovren played pretty well.  Baffled to how you think our back four played well.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #954: Dec 10, 2014 12:44:10 pm
      Lovren was garbage. Lucky to stay on in all honesty.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #955: Dec 10, 2014 12:44:15 pm
      I wouldn't say he was sh#te but for me he was classic Migs - I wanted him roaring at the defenders not looking disconsolate.

Ultimately I fear that it'll be his choice of goalie and centre backs that puts most pressure on BR......unless we start scoring like Warren Beatty in the 1970's sometime soon.....
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #956: Dec 10, 2014 12:48:31 pm
      I wouldn't say he was sh#te but for me he was classic Migs - I wanted him roaring at the defenders not looking disconsolate.

Ultimately I fear that it'll be his choice of goalie and centre backs that puts most pressure on BR......unless we start scoring like Warren Beatty in the 1970's sometime soon.....

There was one moment that highlighted what mentality he has. They played a through ball to about 8 yards out that he had to come scrambling out for in a rush (where most keepers would have just need to walk a yard). He then screamed at some defenders as if to say look at the sh*t you put me in and proceeded to roll the ball out to Lucas who had 3 men around him, absolutely stupid decision making and distribution allied with very poor positional play.

Should be upgraded as soon as possible as he quite simply is not good enough.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #957: Dec 10, 2014 12:59:33 pm
      Can't believe Migs is keeping Jones out of the team :D
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #958: Dec 10, 2014 01:21:06 pm
      SSN reckon we're looking at both Cech and Begowic for January. I hope we get both tbh. F**k off Migs and let those two battle it out for number 1 spot. I would be tempted to start with Cech. He's a proven winner and will have an excellent mentality, and Begowic pushing hard will make both play to their best.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #959: Dec 10, 2014 02:50:58 pm
      Nah, Mignolet natural level isn't that of his most recent performances, and he's hardly the only underperformer whose confidence is as low as it gets.

I do hope we get another keeper but Migs is more than good enough to be a good backup and eventually fight for his place.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #960: Dec 10, 2014 03:46:42 pm
      Tommy Lawrence might be worth a call.
      Its a bit of a chicken and Egg situation though is Mig poor or is it the defence that is poor or both
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #961: Dec 10, 2014 03:48:14 pm
      Tommy Lawrence might be worth a call.
      Its a bit of a chicken and Egg situation though is Mig poor or is it the defence that is poor or both

Our defense wasn't stellar last year and neither was Migs, seems to be a trend that hasn't been addressed. That's a bit worrying.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #962: Dec 10, 2014 08:21:25 pm
      The kop cheered him on after his first take... then he plays a dodgy ball to Skrtel to groans from the fans. I though that moment summed him up completely.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #963: Dec 10, 2014 10:13:41 pm
      He may not have done anything wrong last night, but he's still sh*t and needs to go.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #964: Dec 15, 2014 04:37:57 am
      this is a bit of an awkward photo:

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #965: Dec 15, 2014 10:30:42 am
      After the performance from Jones yesterday, please please come back Simon. All is forgiven.

Quick Reply