Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Simon Mignolet Player Thread: > Club Bruges

Read 308100 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Simon Mignolet Player Thread
      Reply #621: Aug 28, 2014 09:56:40 am
      As we have improved in  all areasnow  I think Simon is now under the spotlight somewhat. He just seems a bit timid to me when you compare his presence with the likes of Neuer the German goalie or in the past the big lump UTD had he just doesn't command his area very well. Good shot stopper but lots of goalkeepers are good shot stoppers.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,682 posts | 3702 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #622: Aug 28, 2014 11:27:38 am
      All this criticism is not justified. I'm not saying that he is top top keeper but he is more than decent. He has a lot to work on but he is on the right track.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,172 posts | 4906 
      Reply #623: Aug 28, 2014 11:39:04 am
      All this criticism is not justified. I'm not saying that he is top top keeper but he is more than decent. He has a lot to work on but he is on the right track.

I agree.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,171 posts | 829 
      Reply #624: Sep 16, 2014 09:46:18 pm
      Valdes anyone?
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,171 posts | 829 
      Reply #625: Sep 16, 2014 09:47:05 pm

He is Jerzy Dudek MKII
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,146 posts | 2780 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #626: Sep 16, 2014 09:48:31 pm
      Don't know where he was going for there goal but overall done well
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #627: Sep 16, 2014 09:50:07 pm
      Get Begovic in .
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #628: Sep 16, 2014 09:52:45 pm
      Don't know where he was going for there goal but overall done well

Think his head has completely gone Bri, he's getting caught in no-mans land due to judging if he can come out or not too often at the moment. It's clear it's something he's working on in training but for now he's getting it completely wrong and I'm worried if we want to persist with it we could have more times like this and some will probably cost us.

The safe thing would be to tell him to stop coming out at all, but then we'll all go back to slating him for not coming for the ball at all.

Thought he was all at sea a couple of times today though, like after they hit the post he completely lost his positioning. Have to say I have little confidence in him at the moment, but Sakho can't be helping.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,146 posts | 2780 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #629: Sep 16, 2014 09:56:59 pm
      Think his head has completely gone Bri, he's getting caught in no-mans land due to judging if he can come out or not too often at the moment. It's clear it's something he's working on in training but for now he's getting it completely wrong and I'm worried if we want to persist with it we could have more times like this and some will probably cost us.

The safe thing would be to tell him to stop coming out at all, but then we'll all go back to slating him for not coming for the ball at all.

Thought he was all at sea a couple of times today though, like after they hit the post he completely lost his positioning. Have to say I have little confidence in him at the moment, but Sakho can't be helping.

I wonder do our centre backs and Mignolet communicate at all? Doesn't look like they do to me. Go old school and  send Mignolet Skrtel Sakho Lovern and Toure out together on a night on the ale just the 5 of them no wives or girlfriends. Start off in a nice quiet pub get chatting then on to a more lively venue have a bit of a laugh then on to a club and let loose have a bit of craic and get to know each other for real! Next game wont have any communication problems!!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #630: Sep 16, 2014 10:01:44 pm
      I wonder do our centre backs and Mignolet communicate at all? Doesn't look like they do to me. Go old school and  send Mignolet Skrtel Sakho Lovern and Toure out together on a night on the ale just the 5 of them no wives or girlfriends. Start off in a nice quiet pub get chatting then on to a more lively venue have a bit of a laugh then on to a club and let loose have a bit of craic and get to know each other for real! Next game wont have any communication problems!!

Worth a try Bri, agree the communication looks weak at the moment. Lovren came in and started off on the right foot with that, haven't seen as much of it recently.

On that note though I despise switching CB sides, it screws them up so often. Makes things less natural and you can see they over think things and end up in the wrong position way more than usual.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #631: Sep 16, 2014 10:02:16 pm
      Don't know what he was thinking tonight!
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #632: Sep 17, 2014 01:28:08 am
      Really hope it's true that Valdes is coming here next month. Ming is fast becoming our new Westerveld - great shot-stopping but atrocious decision making. That wasn't rashness that he displayed with that goal...it was stupidity.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #633: Sep 17, 2014 02:25:58 am
      "Simon Mignolet; Liverpool Football Club."

one of the above does not belong with the other.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #634: Sep 17, 2014 02:31:12 am
      If you take his shot stopping skills and put it on Pepe Reina, my oh my, you would have one solid goalkeeper.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #635: Sep 17, 2014 02:50:53 am
      He really is struggling at the moment, looks like he is one back pass away from a major comedy cock up hopefully it's not this weekend.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #636: Sep 17, 2014 02:59:17 am
      he is one back pass away from a major comedy cock up hopefully it's not this weekend.

that goal he totally misjudged was a major comedy cock up.

same thing happened on the Aguero goal at City.

what more is it going to take for people to realize he's not good enough?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #637: Sep 17, 2014 03:38:18 am
      "Simon Mignolet; Liverpool Football Club."

one of the above does not belong with the other.

The name in bold, that's my guess..

:)

federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #638: Sep 17, 2014 07:03:38 am
      The name in bold, that's my guess..

yes!  with only one tiny, slight, negligible difference:

I am not paid tens of thousands of pounds per week to be the starting goalkeeper for Liverpool Football Club; Simon Mignolet is.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #639: Sep 17, 2014 09:19:11 am
      I've not been impressed with Mignolet since he arrived.  He is a good but not great shot-stopper but his decision making has been poor from the off.  I think I banged on last season about the number of times he tips things around the post, giving away corners etc when it was easier to actually catch the ball.  Just invites pressure - especially as we are sh*t at defending corners.

However I think we haven't helped by failing to give him any competition whatsoever.

Competition for places is what drives that extra 10% in a players performance and we have made a mistake here that still hasn't been rectified.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #640: Sep 17, 2014 11:10:05 am
      Sooner he replaces Jones on thhe bench the better, with a quality first choice. sh*t myself everytime Migs has to do something.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,601 posts | 3841 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #641: Sep 17, 2014 11:19:50 am

Images of Brendan
      ‏@ImagesofBrendan
      "I want you to start using your hands to try and stop the ball from going in the goal."
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #642: Sep 17, 2014 05:33:25 pm
      All the athleticism to be a top keeper but one of the worst footballing minds out there. Has potential to be a hero or a zero and rarely inbetween... He's basically Dudek
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,174 posts | 4402 
      Reply #643: Sep 17, 2014 06:19:14 pm
      All the athleticism to be a top keeper but one of the worst footballing minds out there. Has potential to be a hero or a zero and rarely inbetween... He's basically Dudek

You mean calamity James.

Quick Reply