Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Simon Mignolet Player Thread: > Club Bruges

Read 306100 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Re: Simon Mignolet Player Thread
      Reply #759: Oct 24, 2014 10:49:47 pm
      Practising giving away a penalty with his hands up!

EDIT:

This is the next photo

Kolo Toure knocked Dejan Lovren out for a few seconds in training.

:lmao: :lmao:  Classic Kolo

Mind you a few Reds have wanted to do that recently.............

GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #760: Oct 24, 2014 10:58:09 pm
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #761: Oct 24, 2014 11:33:35 pm
      Not a montage mate but this picture was posted on FB last night and I had to cringe.

You can tell by Lovrens eyes where the ball is coming in from .....what's Migs doing? He's got his f**king eyes closed. It's like what I feel like doing everytime the ball goes in our final third.

Good grief. It looks like Sterling is glancing round at Migs and wondering what the hell he is doing like.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #762: Oct 25, 2014 03:38:32 am
      Personally, Migs has got a smahed nose, think he has memories of when it happened and it puts him in two minds coming out in the box.
      Am I on the right track with this?
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #763: Oct 25, 2014 04:45:03 am
      Personally, Migs has got a smahed nose, think he has memories of when it happened and it puts him in two minds coming out in the box.

smashed nose?

Petr Cech had his f***ing skull cracked in a challenge.

you don't see him being a shithouse when coming out in the box.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #764: Oct 25, 2014 08:36:55 am
      smashed nose?

The man makes a great point here!

If Migs is holding back because he is scared or whatever then he really does have problems because what happened to Cech is about as bad as it could possibly get.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #765: Oct 25, 2014 08:50:23 am
      Just has to do much, much better.

Like Mario he isn't the entire problem - but I do think this lad got away with it a bit last season and without the goals is now being exposed.

Strikes me as an athletic kid with good reflexes who ended up as a goalkeeper rather than someone who loves keeping goal and foiling the opposition.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #766: Oct 25, 2014 10:36:29 am
      At 26 I have to wonder is he actually going to improve any more?
      We really are missing that beast of a Centre half to protect his weakness in the air, and we need to cut out the through balls to stop his u nesessary rushing out and misjudging.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #767: Oct 25, 2014 11:02:02 am
      smashed nose?

I'm not making excuses for him, just wondering if that's a psychological hurdle, you don't have to sell me on Cech because even when Migs first came Cech was in my top 1 or 2 goalies in the world.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #768: Oct 25, 2014 11:13:34 am
      He's the new Dudek. Very good in some areas and very bad in others.

And I should add... Ultimately not good enough
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #769: Oct 25, 2014 11:20:05 am

I thought Dudek was a cracking keeper. Miles ahead of Migs IMO.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #770: Oct 25, 2014 11:25:40 am

When you look at Courtois for instance and see the gulf in quality between him and Mignolet, it's there to see, blatantly.
      I thought Migs was gonna be a beast, coming out and threatening anyone entering his domain, he's a more am I allowed to come out type person.
      It's a vicious circle though; the cb's and him have little faith in eachother.
      If they had faith... whoever went for the ball would be trusted so that the other could keep their shape or positional discipline.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #771: Oct 25, 2014 08:30:26 pm
      another thing i forgot to mention about mings is the fact that he doesn't inspire confidence in our defenders or this is the way it plays on tv, and this is another reason for how insecure our defence is, let alone his occasional blunders
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #772: Oct 25, 2014 10:47:03 pm
      He's generally pretty awful and clearly not good enough but he wasn't to blame for anything today against Hull.  Not his fault we can't score.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #773: Oct 25, 2014 11:19:52 pm
      He was barking out the orders today alright  but will take a lot to forgive for shitting out on Wednesday .
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #774: Oct 26, 2014 09:28:52 am
      Siding with his fellow shot-stopper rather than his one-time Old Trafford colleague, Schmeichel said Neville was guilty of a “character assassination” after claiming the Belgian should have kept out Phil Jagielka’s long-range late equaliser for Everton in the Merseyside derby.

In the wake of the September 27 match, which finished 1-1, Sky Sports pundit Neville made his feelings clear in a five-minute critique of Mignolet.

While Neville acknowledged the “amazing strike” from England defender Jagielka, he argued a “top-level goalkeeper” should save such a shot, and questioned Mignolet’s positioning, suggesting he crouched too low to give himself a chance of reaching a ball that went in just beneath the crossbar.

Neville acknowledged he was a “harsh” judge, but also picked out further examples from last season before returning to the Jagielka goal and saying: “I think he should save that and I think he’s got a technical problem.”

Former Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher was also critical, but less forcefully so. Schmeichel, the former Manchester United and Denmark goalkeeper, took issue with both.

“I was shocked a couple of weeks back when it was a character assassination that Gary Neville did to Simon Mignolet,” Schmeichel said on BBC Radio 5 Live.

“I have to say I don’t think the boy has done too bad since that night where he was taken apart by Carragher and Neville.

“It’s very difficult to go on the pitch, everyone will be watching him, and everyone will be saying ‘Oh this is what Neville’s said, and this is what Carragher’s said’.”

Schmeichel added: “I’m looking at the goals and I’m thinking, ‘What do you expect? Do you really honestly expect him to save everything?’.

“I just think what was done on Monday Night Football was out of order because it was a really, really good shot, and it was demonstrated how low he was, but by someone who’s played right-back all his life.”
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #775: Oct 26, 2014 11:34:33 am
      Mid way through first half came out for cross and called it loud enough for cameras to pick up, Skrtel simply ignored the call and went through with clearing the ball with his head.

LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #776: Oct 26, 2014 11:50:57 am
      Mid way through first half came out for cross and called it loud enough for cameras to pick up, Skrtel simply ignored the call and went through with clearing the ball with his head.

Which is encouraging to see our defenders being decisive for a change.

Mignolet's terrible aerial ability is a real strain on our defence. They have to clear every cross that comes in knowing they have Flappy Migs between the sticks, and people wonder why we concede from so many set pieces! Set pieces and crosses are percentages, but ours are stacked against us without the factor of a goalkeeper that can command his box and actually clear/catch crosses himself.

It seems his days here are numbered. Why oh why did we sell Pepe! What's the point of saving wages to be uncompetitive?
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #777: Oct 26, 2014 03:12:43 pm
      Get Rid.

Bought as a cheap alternative to get rid of Pepe on loan ......      then sale.

You pay peanuts you get monkeys.

Now ....... where is Valdes ?   

Oh Yes.   

Training @  Carrington Manchester ...
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #778: Oct 27, 2014 09:25:23 pm
      Which is encouraging to see our defenders being decisive for a change.

No its not being decisive. I was in the main stand and clearly heard that call being made. Skrtel ignoring the call highlights the shambolic set up that is our defence. Keeper called defender should have left it simple as that.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #779: Oct 27, 2014 10:11:04 pm
      No its not being decisive. I was in the main stand and clearly heard that call being made.

I heard that too.  Embarrassing that it's so quiet at the games nowadays you can hear the lads yelling at each other but there's a whole other thread for that discussion.  It was indeed interesting, Mignolet yelled "KEEPER" and Skrtel just ignored him and headed it clear.

I don't think it's clear what the right way is to analyze it; is it better that Mignolet was loud for a change, was it better that Skrtel took initiative for a change, etc.  Despite the fact that I think Mignolet is dross, the one thing I will say is this: that ball came in, and Skrtel was already moving to head it away; Mignolet yelled "keeper" about half a second before it landed on Skrtel's head.  I think it's pretty clear that the defence doesn't have much confidence in Mignolet, but I highly, highly doubt that in the half second between when Mignolet yelled "keeper" and when Skrtel headed it away anyway, that Skrtel somehow thought "well, Simon just yelled 'keeper,' but I don't trust him, so I'll just clear it myself."  I think Mignolet had probably just yelled it too late, and Skrtel had already committed to it. 
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #780: Oct 27, 2014 10:14:39 pm
      I think it's pretty clear that the defence doesn't have much confidence in Mignolet 

The feeling could be mutual Fed.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #781: Oct 27, 2014 10:14:59 pm
      No its not being decisive. I was in the main stand and clearly heard that call being made. Skrtel ignoring the call highlights the shambolic set up that is our defence. Keeper called defender should have left it simple as that.

Was in the same stand mate remember that incident as we all commented on it been  critical of migs but he was very vocal on sat defenders chose not to listen now either they don't trust him or they deaf but been as I heard him make the call from the stand it must be they have no faith sad state of affairs to be in

Quick Reply