Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Simon Mignolet Player Thread: > Club Bruges

Read 308190 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: Simon Mignolet Player Thread
      Reply #1909: Feb 09, 2016 06:50:33 pm
      Cut out the personal abuse, there's absolutely no need.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1910: Feb 09, 2016 07:34:35 pm
      David James saying Mignolet has played well, surprise surprise :D One sh*t keeper backing another. He's basically said most of the goals we've conceded have been lucky, penalties or at the fault of the defence. Who the F**k thought it'd be good to give this idiot a job as a pundit who is supposed to be an 'expert'?
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #1911: Feb 10, 2016 01:29:10 am
      David James saying Mignolet has played well, surprise surprise :D One sh*t keeper backing another. He's basically said most of the goals we've conceded have been lucky, penalties or at the fault of the defence. Who the F**k thought it'd be good to give this idiot a job as a pundit who is supposed to be an 'expert'?

He's as much an expert on goalkeeping as he is on finance.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #1912: Feb 10, 2016 02:03:14 am
      He just seems shell shocked.
      I don't think he will ever be a top class keeper but I do think his lack of self confidence and in his defence is startling.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #1913: Feb 10, 2016 02:47:23 am
      Whenever he comes out for a ball I hold my breath. Frightening how bad he is in the air.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #1914: Feb 10, 2016 08:19:55 am
      His biggest issue is that he doesn't set himself properly - I have seen this a few times...

When a keeper 'bounces' on the line and moves about it allows them to spring for a save. A few times, Migs is in mid air when the ball is struck, so when he lands he a second behind where he needs to be. He should, being a premiership keeper, be able to see the flight of the ball and be on the floor ready to jump when the ball is struck. He leaves himself no chance so it always looks like he is wrong footed...

Could he have done a lot about the goal yesterday - perhaps not. But I would love a keeper who see's that ball coming in and goes for it - it was a free kick so pretty obvious what they were going to do. Could he have made the area his and attacked the ball?
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1915: Feb 10, 2016 08:23:26 am
      Could he have done a lot about the goal yesterday - perhaps not. But I would love a keeper who see's that ball coming in and goes for it - it was a free kick so pretty obvious what they were going to do. Could he have made the area his and attacked the ball?
      The thing is good keepers do save the expected ones and some of the ones you wouldn't expect.  A bad keeper lets the ones in he shouldn't and saves none of the ones you wouldn't expect a save from. We just don't expect good saves anymore so we are saying things like, "that one was not mignolets fault".. doesn't make his performances any better.
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #1916: Feb 10, 2016 09:01:03 am
      What drives me mad , is the way he watch's the ball go past him without his body reacting. His  M O is to fall on one knee , a broken , dejected , pitiable figure.
      The second save after the free kick hit the post , was so excruciating , i actually for a second felt sorry for the sap. He was actually scared of the ball. A tame shot that ANY goalkeeper should just catch , was reacted to like a bomb with the fuse burning.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #1917: Feb 10, 2016 09:06:21 am
      What drives me mad , is the way he watch's the ball go past him without his body reacting. His  M O is to fall on one knee , a broken , dejected , pitiable figure.
      The second save after the free kick hit the post , was so excruciating , i actually for a second felt sorry for the sap. He was actually scared of the ball. A tame shot that ANY goalkeeper should just catch , was reacted to like a bomb with the fuse burning.

Hes' a timid fellow who just shits his pants in any tense situation, he may seem calm on the outside but I bet you his heart rate must be in the danger zone anytime a high ball comes into the box.
      DanRed44
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 121 posts | 18 
      Reply #1918: Feb 10, 2016 09:51:49 am
      Agree mate, his footwork must be all over the place too, as the amount of goals that go past the geezer without him even moving, or just going down on his f-ing knee is embarrassing, his distribution was at its best again, rolled one out near the corner flag and then hoofed one into row z under no pressure, this is the main position JK needs to address, a decent goalie will give the defence more confidence, someone who can claim crosses and communicate, please Jürgen
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1919: Feb 10, 2016 09:58:47 am
      I said before Mignolet is scared of the ball. Glad someone else picked up on it. It's like he judges the danger to himself before thinking about if he wants to move to the ball or not.. he does just watch it go past him it's like... this guy would be good at dodgeball.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1920: Feb 10, 2016 03:52:00 pm
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #1921: Feb 10, 2016 07:01:33 pm
      Did anyone notice the attitude from Lucas towards Mignolet when he passed the ball back and he couldn't control a flat ball rolling at 3mph and almost screwed up the pass out to one of our defenders.
      Lucas gave him a deathly stare and after that decided screw this I'm just going to kick it out rather than pass it back to this idiot.

That's the sort of confidence Migs instills in our defenders is it any wonder they cock up so often if at the back of their mind they have to have one eye on the dunce at the back.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #1922: Feb 10, 2016 09:33:00 pm
      Did anyone notice the attitude from Lucas towards Mignolet when he passed the ball back and he couldn't control a flat ball rolling at 3mph and almost screwed up the pass out to one of our defenders.
      Lucas gave him a deathly stare and after that decided screw this I'm just going to kick it out rather than pass it back to this idiot.

That's the sort of confidence Migs instills in our defenders is it any wonder they cock up so often if at the back of their mind they have to have one eye on the dunce at the back.

I think it is quite clear everyone has lost faith in Migs. You build your team from the back and GK has become a problem not a resolution for us. We need to fix it in the summer.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1923: Feb 10, 2016 09:37:33 pm

Also, not sure if it was the same pass you're referencing giving Brad Smith a bollocking signalling 'use your head' to him as if he was somehow at fault Migs couldn't just launch it.

A poor form of deflection to blame others for your own deficiencies especially the young lads from a senior squad member, not a surprise though.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1924: Feb 10, 2016 09:52:21 pm
      Simon is capable of putting in a 9/10 performance and making worldly saves.

Unfortunately

He is even more capable of putting in a 2/10 performance the 3 weeks after his 9/10.

We don't need a world class shot stopper at this time, what we need is a steady eddy 7/10 keeper whose back 4 have confidence in to make the stops that need to be stopped.

Easy to see that nobody on the defensive side of the ball has any faith in him...get somebody in there who will install some confidence in the back four and that alone would make a world of difference.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #1925: Feb 11, 2016 09:01:05 am
      Started to worry he'd do something or should I say nothing when he kicked a simple up field ball out for a throw in, you can sense how uneasy he is and it spreads to the defenders.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #1926: Feb 11, 2016 11:28:02 am
      There is an unfairness to the Mignolet situation that isn't talked about. Bogdan comes in, makes an unholy mess of things and is given a second chance. His next game he makes an even bigger mess and is dropped with the unspoken acknowledgement that his time at the club is at an end and that he'll be moved on in the Summer.

Mignolet makes a pigs ear of things most weeks and has done most weeks since being bought from Sunderland and rather than being dropped, at least for a match to test our third keeper, there is no unspoken acknowledgement of his time at the club being at an end, on the contrary, he's rewarded for his perpetual failure with a new contract and a pay rise.

Some serious double standards are being applied here and it's wrong. If Ward comes in and clearly isn't the answer then fair enough, we grin and bear it until the end of the season. You don't penalise failure in one player and reward it in another whilst failing to look for an interim solution.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #1927: Feb 11, 2016 12:08:40 pm
      Last season he still averaged less than 2 saves per goal conceded. He doesn't win us games, he just doesn't. When someone has a shot on target one in every two of those will go in against him... That's not good enough no matter how many clean sheets he has. The fact we had to go to 5 at the back last year because Migs couldn't be trusted to bail us out if our back 4 didn't defend speaks volumes. Now we have 4 at the back again and he's called on more we can see what's happening clear as day. Game costing mistakes and club crippling abilities to save even the most basic of shots. Those coincide with a command of an area that can only be likened to a dog on ice.

Essentially...

He's. F***ing. Sh*te.

Right - so the goalkeeper with the most clean sheets is now sh*te

The defender who was a captain of PSG at 17 is now sh*te.

The midfielder who was our player of the season last year is now sh*te

The striker who has been banging goals in on a reglar 1 in 2 basis and is unplayable on his day is now also sh*te.

Is it really that simple?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1928: Feb 11, 2016 12:30:04 pm
      It's simple really, he is a very good keeper at a certain level, he isn't a good keeper for us. It happens, been lots of very good players who failed at one club or another,  for a variety of reasons. Personally, I feel that he lacks the concentration to be truly top notch and his hesitations occur because of this. Put him in a team with lower to mid-table expectations, he'll be solid again, just don't see that happening with us.
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #1929: Feb 11, 2016 12:37:10 pm

The defender who was a captain of PSG at 17 is now sh*te.

The midfielder who was our player of the season last year is now sh*te

The striker who has been banging goals in on a reglar 1 in 2 basis and is unplayable on his day is now also sh*te.

Is it really that simple?

Golkeeper - yes, he is sh*te and always has been. Did he KEEP those clean sheets? Why don' t you go back and see what He DID to have a clean sheet against his name. A Goalkeeper can have a string of clean sheets on his Cv without having to do much of any note in a match.

The Defender who was Captain of PSG when he was 17 - Big F***ing Deal

The Midfielder who was our Player of the season last year? -Did you watch us last year? A case of  " the best of a truly awful bunch "
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #1930: Feb 11, 2016 01:19:33 pm

As I explained in this thread, clean sheets is not an indicator of goalkeeping ability since it also takes in to account defensive and defensive midfielder ability as well as the opposing team's ability to score goals. For a truer measure (for there is no 100% test that fans can apply) of his ability, look to the saves per match statistic and as is shown in the official Premier League stats, he ranks bottom. He is sh*te, he always was sh*te and always will be sh*te. We should never have signed him and the people who did are sh*te and, along with Mignolet, should be departed from the club with post haste.
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #1931: Feb 11, 2016 01:35:46 pm
      He is a "calamity James" type of keeper. He makes some fine saves and then gifts easy goals

Quick Reply