Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Suarez's replacement

Read 22571 times
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,730 posts |
      Suarez's replacement
      Jul 10, 2013 12:05:29 pm
       Considering OUR player's recent comments we can clearly see he's no longer interested to wear the red jersey (maybe he'll be wearing a red and white one come next season  :f_steam:). He can f**k off right now if we get an acceptable offer (and I mean 45M+). No one is bigger than this club so it's important we move on from this and don't let another waste of money coming from a big sale happen. We have to use those funds in the best possible way and go for the very best in continent (the ones intereseted in coming here anyway). Just have a look at Napoli, they're selling Cavani and got Mertens and are very close on Leandro Damiao and Callejon. That's a new forward line and a really good one.

My question to you is: Consider you've got 45M. Who would you go after that you consider good enough to fill the void in our team left by his predecessor?

IMO with that sum of money we can cover 2 positions. Get someone like Jovetic or Lamela and Eriksen would be my favorite (don't know how realistic it is though). Another interesting player is Bernard, but Diego would have to tell us more about him.
      « Last Edit: Jul 12, 2013 11:19:15 am by JD »
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Re: Suarez's replacement
      Reply #1: Jul 10, 2013 12:32:38 pm
      Lukalua and jovetic wouldn't be to shabby,a mixture of pace power skill.

brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #2: Jul 10, 2013 12:56:09 pm
      Still a Liverpool player and I can see him still being here next season, so not going to speculate on a replacement just yet.
      come on mate he,s off the charm offensive is well and truly up and running .
      So come on who do you fancy to fill the void?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #3: Jul 10, 2013 01:10:20 pm
      Is it beyond comprehension that the owners will go for a cheap and cheerful replacement as is their way telling us it is a long term prospect?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #4: Jul 10, 2013 01:12:20 pm
      I've a hunch we already have him at the club. Danny Sturridge has to at some point either prove himself good enough to be the main man at a top team or finally admit that he is never going to realise his full potential. He did the business when e played last season, has everything in his locker, so why not give him a proper go? I also like Borini, and assuming Aspas is a good player we may be better served spending the cash elsewhere.

Alonso in midfield and the Greek fella at the back wouldn't be a bad place to start. Alonso in particular as our holder over having to select Lucas would make a gigantic difference to us.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #5: Jul 10, 2013 01:26:14 pm
      I'd love Lamela and Muriel/Benteke. I think we'll get an Eriksen type of player whether Suarez stays or goes.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #6: Jul 10, 2013 01:31:45 pm
      I've a hunch we already have him at the club. Danny Sturridge has to at some point either prove himself good enough to be the main man at a top team or finally admit that he is never going to realise his full potential. He did the business when e played last season, has everything in his locker, so why not give him a proper go? I also like Borini, and assuming Aspas is a good player we may be better served spending the cash elsewhere.

Alonso in midfield and the Greek fella at the back wouldn't be a bad place to start. Alonso in particular as our holder over having to select Lucas would make a gigantic difference to us.

As with my previous post, this again is the most economic option, irrespective of how it affects the strength of the squad.
      Suarez right now is head and shoulders above anyone currently available, our failure to sign quality players because of our none CL status was clearly displayed recently exacerbating our predicament yet further.
      Things do not bode well while FSG padlock the purse strings.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #7: Jul 10, 2013 01:48:13 pm

There are tons of quality players out there that we could go after with the Suarez money, and if we add the Downing cash and our regular transfer budget to the 45M (total of roughly 70M) we could easily get 3-4 top players.  I'd like a CF (Higuain, Soldado, Rodrigo, or Jovetic), RW (Lamela, Ben Arfa, or Menez), CM (Strootman, Boateng, Cabaye, or Guarin), and CB (Garay, Sakho, or Astori)  please :)
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,291 posts | 237 
      Reply #8: Jul 10, 2013 02:03:34 pm
      Jovetic and Muniain.
      Plantman
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts |
      • Youll*Never*Walk*Alone
      Reply #9: Jul 10, 2013 02:15:19 pm
      Remember that the players that are "out there" are not in Luis league, and even if they were would they go to a team who finish mid-table and last won the league 15 years ago?

They dont care for Liverpool and its history like us, its a job and they want to be at the highest level they can. Unless we can find another diamond like luis i think we are struggling to attract anyone of high calibre.

Maybe Aspas is another luis and we wont miss him :)
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #10: Jul 10, 2013 02:36:21 pm
      There isn't a like for like replacement for our Luis, he's a unique individual.

Personally can't see us getting a 'big name' player, not because we won't have the money but simply because they wouldn't come to a non CL Club, no matter how much cash we throw at them.

Can see a couple of up and coming youngsters arriving (if they haven't already) with the bulk of the money being spent on defensive improvements. 

I guess that so long as the whole squad is strengthened giving us an alround better quality 1st 11 and improved options on the bench, that's the best we can hope for.

It's a very sad state of affairs that Liverpool Football Club can no longer keep it's star players, nor replace them with similar quality  >:(
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,352 posts | 2819 
      Reply #11: Jul 10, 2013 02:46:40 pm
      Benteke and Jovetic please.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #12: Jul 10, 2013 02:50:21 pm
      Out: Suarez, Downing, Coates, Spearing

In: Griezmann, Eriksen/Pastore, Alderweireld, Schneiderlin
      harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #13: Jul 10, 2013 02:50:25 pm
      There isn't a like for like replacement for our Luis, he's a unique individual.

Think Jovetic is the closest thing to a like for like replacement as he can play in the #9 or #10 roles effectively and is great with the ball at his feet.  Perhaps Rodrigo as he has a similar skill set, just not as effective as Luis. 

Personally can't see us getting a 'big name' player, not because we won't have the money but simply because they wouldn't come to a non CL Club, no matter how much cash we throw at them.

This is where I disagree.  There are plenty of quality players who are currently playing for clubs who aren't in the CL and would be willing to come play for us.  The likes of Lamela, Ben Arfa, Taraabt, Jovetic, Guarin, Soldado, Cabaye, Astori, and Ogbonna all currently play for clubs outside the CL and would likely be available for the right fee.  The key is to get players who will improve us but are flying just under the radar of some of the other big clubs like we did with Coutinho and Sturridge in January. 
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #14: Jul 10, 2013 02:50:56 pm
      Not too keen on Benteke, if I am honest. Would love to get Lukaku or Jovetic. Doubt either will happen, to be honest. Struggling to see who we will be able to get, realistically.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #15: Jul 10, 2013 03:10:29 pm
      Think Jovetic is the closest thing to a like for like replacement as he can play in the #9 or #10 roles effectively and is great with the ball at his feet.  Perhaps Rodrigo as he has a similar skill set, just not as effective as Luis. 

This is where I disagree.  There are plenty of quality players who are currently playing for clubs who aren't in the CL and would be willing to come play for us.  The likes of Lamela, Ben Arfa, Taraabt, Jovetic, Guarin, Soldado, Cabaye, Astori, and Ogbonna all currently play for clubs outside the CL and would likely be available for the right fee.  The key is to get players who will improve us but are flying just under the radar of some of the other big clubs like we did with Coutinho and Sturridge in January. 

It's not so much there aren't quality players already at non CL Clubs it's that those quality players when they do move nearly always want CL.  Yes we got Coutinho and Sturridge without CL but if we still don't have CL in a couple of years they will be off too.

Just like Luis!!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #16: Jul 10, 2013 03:16:31 pm
      It's not so much there aren't quality players already at non CL Clubs it's that those quality players when they do move nearly always want CL.  Yes we got Coutinho and Sturridge without CL but if we still don't have CL in a couple of years they will be off too.

Just like Luis!!

Bang on Debs, until FSG match the ambition of ambitious, success hungry players the cycle will continue and unfortunately I don't think they have the mindset to truly care, their priorities seem to lie elsewhere. I'm sure though they'll have a nice pension fund when the time comes to sell up and when they do they will have won in their eyes but not in ours.

I tell you what though if we do sell Suarez and Reina in this window the tea lady better look out as her wages will be creeping near the top and you know what happens when you earn the most at our club.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #17: Jul 10, 2013 03:19:57 pm

Agreed about Sturridge. The issue's Downing will also most likely be sold (even if not we need improvement there). So we've basically got only Sturridge and Coutinho for the first team, and considering we'll play 4-2-3-1 we'll need another attacking midfielder(or left winger depending on where will Coutinho be played) and right winger for the first team.
      harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #18: Jul 10, 2013 03:41:55 pm

Just like Luis!!

I do agree with you to an extent, but you are already assuming that we will not be back in the CL anytime soon.  The form we showed through the 2nd half of the season was damn near good enough for a top 4 finish.  If we can add a little more quality and depth to the team ahead of the coming season then I don't see any reason why we won't finish in the top 4. 

We also have a few other factors helping us like the managerial changes at United, City, and Chelsea and the player turnover at those 3 clubs.  Chelsea and United both have a lot of aging players in their starting 11 and they will start to decline sooner than later.  There will need to be a "changing of the guard" at those clubs soon (possibly even this year) and it could open the door for us to capitalize on their transition just as others did to us over the past few years.  If we can get off to a good start then I really think we could jump back into the top 4 this season. 
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #19: Jul 10, 2013 04:54:48 pm
      Bang on Debs, until FSG match the ambition of ambitious, success hungry players the cycle will continue and unfortunately I don't think they have the mindset to truly care, their priorities seem to lie elsewhere. I'm sure though they'll have a nice pension fund when the time comes to sell up and when they do they will have won in their eyes but not in ours.

I tell you what though if we do sell Suarez and Reina in this window the tea lady better look out as her wages will be creeping near the top and you know what happens when you earn the most at our club.

Maybe that's why they're wanting to recruit some LFC legends mate, they're secretly hoping they'll step in to cover any vacant posts on a voluntary basis and cutting the wage bill at the same time  ;D

I do agree with you to an extent, but you are already assuming that we will not be back in the CL anytime soon.  The form we showed through the 2nd half of the season was damn near good enough for a top 4 finish.  If we can add a little more quality and depth to the team ahead of the coming season then I don't see any reason why we won't finish in the top 4. 

We also have a few other factors helping us like the managerial changes at United, City, and Chelsea and the player turnover at those 3 clubs.  Chelsea and United both have a lot of aging players in their starting 11 and they will start to decline sooner than later.  There will need to be a "changing of the guard" at those clubs soon (possibly even this year) and it could open the door for us to capitalize on their transition just as others did to us over the past few years.  If we can get off to a good start then I really think we could jump back into the top 4 this season. 

But if we're losing the quality/experience of players like Luis, Pepe, Skrtel and Downing this summer then adding 'a little more quality and depth' will take us backwards not forwards mate.

As for the other Clubs you've mentioned the only one I can see struggling (by their standards) is the scum.  They will still be in the top 4 though maybe not challenging for the title.  Chelsea change managers at the drop of a hat and that hasn't hurt them in the past and City still have far more depth and better quality than we could even hope for.

We then have Spuds, who have already improved their starting 11 and the Arse who rarely fail even when they sign relative nobodies.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,191 posts | 1274 
      Reply #20: Jul 10, 2013 06:38:45 pm
      A head in my hands moment, this is a headache and ballache at the same time.

I honestly don't know who would replace Suarez. That said, the performances without him this season, when the likes of Sturridge and Coutinho put in sterling efforts, gives me optimism that Rodgers can cope without him.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #21: Jul 10, 2013 06:53:02 pm
      A head in my hands moment, this is a headache and ballache at the same time.

I honestly don't know who would replace Suarez. That said, the performances without him this season, when the likes of Sturridge and Coutinho put in sterling efforts, gives me optimism that Rodgers can cope without him.

True enough mate but there was a viable lifting of spirit when Luis was unleashed, we need the same quality to enhance an already potent strike force.
      Tadders

• 6,768 posts | 570 
      Reply #22: Jul 10, 2013 07:03:14 pm
      BR needs to be the manager we all hope\think he can be as Liverpool is now a selling club and if we don't stop the rot now we will simply have to grow our own and become a new Aston Villa....unless of course the owners make a statement of intent.

Quick Reply