Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Suarez's replacement

Read 22563 times
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Re: Suarez's replacement
      Reply #23: Jul 10, 2013 07:35:30 pm
      Is it beyond comprehension that the owners will go for a cheap and cheerful replacement as is their way telling us it is a long term prospect?

It isnt beyond  Stu.

There isn't a like for like replacement for our Luis, he's a unique individual.

Personally can't see us getting a 'big name' player, not because we won't have the money but simply because they wouldn't come to a non CL Club, no matter how much cash we throw at them.

Can see a couple of up and coming youngsters arriving (if they haven't already) with the bulk of the money being spent on defensive improvements. 

I guess that so long as the whole squad is strengthened giving us an alround better quality 1st 11 and improved options on the bench, that's the best we can hope for.

It's a very sad state of affairs that Liverpool Football Club can no longer keep it's star players, nor replace them with similar quality >:(

True Words Debs   True Words .
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #24: Jul 10, 2013 07:57:35 pm

Personally can't see us getting a 'big name' player, not because we won't have the money but simply because they wouldn't come to a non CL Club, no matter how much cash we throw at

I actually think even without CL we could get some massive names into the club. The problem for me is no player is convinced that we are not a selling club and that our owners are willing to invest to get us there.

City got massive names without CL but players could see they were a club on the up and willing to invest. Fsg have shown no signs of investing money into lfc.

I personally believe mkhi could've been sold on the lfc project.. If we had actual project to be invested in not just austerity and balancing the books. Probably thought he'd be playing alongside suarez til his agent informed him we have no plans to invest without selling suarez.

Til fsg can convince fans they are more interested in on field success than keeping their investment plumped top players won't be forming a queue to get in here
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #25: Jul 10, 2013 07:59:59 pm
      If I was the owner, unless 50m came in I wouldn't even consider it

The problem is our owner is an investment banker not an lfc fan. He sees 40m in cash and a way to bring in several new players looking like he's moving us forward when in reality he's plumping up the business and spending less of his own cash than the casual lfc fan.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #26: Jul 10, 2013 08:18:09 pm
      There isn't a like for like replacement for our Luis, he's a unique individual.

Personally can't see us getting a 'big name' player, not because we won't have the money but simply because they wouldn't come to a non CL Club, no matter how much cash we throw at them.

Can see a couple of up and coming youngsters arriving (if they haven't already) with the bulk of the money being spent on defensive improvements. 

I guess that so long as the whole squad is strengthened giving us an alround better quality 1st 11 and improved options on the bench, that's the best we can hope for.

It's a very sad state of affairs that Liverpool Football Club can no longer keep it's star players, nor replace them with similar quality  >:(

You reading my mind Debs?

We can only hope that in the new signings one of them fulfils their potential and makes a similar impact to Luis (without the attempts to eat the opposition).  This however leaves me with the worry that we will fall short of the top four again and more of our better players look to leave.  The loss of Luis' goal contribution will be difficult to replace but we will need to do it if we are to progress.

This id Brendan's task and he and we will in serious sh*t if he fails. 
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #27: Jul 10, 2013 08:21:20 pm
      However you wish to label the owners, one thing for sure, they may not know about "soccer" but they are not stupid. They will know they can get the same money for Luis next year, so no pressure to sell, having said that, 50m is hard to turn down for anyone.

No guarantees we get that money at all next year, maybe he plays poorly not wanting to be here, the team underperforms,does something else even more crazy where we are forced to suspend him, then we let him go for 25m to be rid of the problem

Henry is a money man not a football man. If he sees 50m like Torres hel take it every time. He invests nothing, illusion is we are in a new project for the fans and meanwhile his investment gRows til he can profit
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #28: Jul 10, 2013 08:41:59 pm
      We (and I) have been talking and focusing on who will replace Suarez if (when?) he leaves.

But a thought has just struck me.

I'm an old git and have seen a lot and I suddenly remembered that this has happened before in an almost identical manner.

In the previous situation we were a top team with a prolific striker.  The striker left and we wondered how we would get on without him.

What happened is we didn't any longer rely on a gifted striker to carry the side.  We brought in other strikers but also developed a side where everybody was capable and indeed did score goals.

To repeat a quote from Jim Smith (a first division manger)at the time  It used to be balls in channels for Rush, now its balls into channels, balls to feet, balls into space, balls every bl**dy where.

Maybe this is Brendan's vision.  A team playing total football.  I hope so.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #29: Jul 10, 2013 10:03:13 pm
      If Cavani is worth 55 million then Suarez is worth 65.

Make him stay or draw a 60m line in the sand just like Napoli did.

leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #30: Jul 10, 2013 10:07:50 pm

I like the ideals and principles of this but theres just so much competition out there now and it's worldwide. Money is the deciding factor in football now.

Total football is also wengers vision. He's being doing it longer and better than we have and he still can't win a trophy. We need financial investment
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #31: Jul 10, 2013 11:13:10 pm
      Tell him he's staying put the same way The Spuds told Modric , it's time we got tough on contracts . No more sh*t like we don't want players who aren't happy blah blah blah .We stood by this man and our greatest ever player lost his job backing him up . I know there was a lot more to why Kenny got sacked but Suarez didn't help . He owes us big time end of .
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #32: Jul 11, 2013 09:45:15 am
      If Cavani is worth 55 million then Suarez is worth 65.

Make him stay or draw a 60m line in the sand just like Napoli did.
      The reason Cavani is worth more than Suarez in my humble opinion, is that he dont get banned every season or do anything contraversial each year. i think we will be greatful to get 40Mil and if that is offered by marid i would try and chuck in Alonso and take 35mil
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #33: Jul 11, 2013 03:27:54 pm
      40 million? F**k no, I want every penny they have. We do not need to sell, I would hold out for 55 in my eyes. Even 50 is pushing it for me.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #34: Jul 11, 2013 03:31:55 pm
      We (and I) have been talking and focusing on who will replace Suarez if (when?) he leaves.

I'm an old git and have seen a lot and I suddenly remembered that this has happened before in an almost identical manner.

In the previous situation we were a top team with a prolific striker.  The striker left and we wondered how we would get on without him.

What happened is we didn't any longer rely on a gifted striker to carry the side.  We brought in other strikers but also developed a side where everybody was capable and indeed did score goals.

To repeat a quote from Jim Smith (a first division manger)at the time  It used to be balls in channels for Rush, now its balls into channels, balls to feet, balls into space, balls every bl**dy where.

Well said, OldRed and his sensible OldHead
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #35: Jul 11, 2013 06:58:52 pm
       So one of possible replacements seems to be Yilmaz. Move on...
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #36: Jul 11, 2013 07:26:28 pm

It's like Moneyball, but pre-dating it by about 15 years :)

Ok, so Suarez wants CL football. So does Bale. Difference seems to be a chairman / chief exec who has got balls and is prepared to say to players 'Give me one more year - if we don't get CL football, you can go'

Convinced Rodgers & Ayre do have a plan with Suarez - but couldn't tell you what it is though !

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #37: Jul 12, 2013 03:25:01 pm
      Convinced Rodgers & Ayre do have a plan with Suarez - but couldn't tell you what it is though !

Get on the ground, hug one leg each, and beg Suarez not to leave? ;D
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #38: Jul 12, 2013 04:14:42 pm
      Ok, so Suarez wants CL football. So does Bale. Difference seems to be a chairman / chief exec who has got balls and is prepared to say to players 'Give me one more year - if we don't get CL football, you can go'
      You do get the feeling other clubs will go that extra mile to keep or get players

We don't know what is happening behind the scenes, but it does feel as if we are just waiting to get the right offer, and that is the end of Suarez so far as LFC is concerned.

Best price on Suarezs being a Liverpool player next year is 5/2
      Best price on Bale being a Spurs player is 5/18
      « Last Edit: Jul 12, 2013 04:41:53 pm by Eddieo »
      Dancho
      • Forum David Johnson

• 231 posts |
      Reply #39: Jul 12, 2013 05:55:59 pm

This, or the difference is that Bale has not been on the radio and in the press all summer bit**ing about how much he wants to leave and putting pressure on the club.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #40: Jul 12, 2013 08:02:03 pm
      You do get the feeling other clubs will go that extra mile to keep or get players

We don't know what is happening behind the scenes, but it does feel as if we are just waiting to get the right offer, and that is the end of Suarez so far as LFC is concerned.

Best price on Suarezs being a Liverpool player next year is 5/2
      Best price on Bale being a Spurs player is 5/18

He is a big boy making big boy money, he was more than happy 12 months ago to sign a new 4 year deal.

The club, gaffer and supporters have made it clear we want him to stay.

No more ball licking needed.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #41: Jul 13, 2013 11:07:11 am
      He is a big boy making big boy money, he was more than happy 12 months ago to sign a new 4 year deal.

The club, gaffer and supporters have made it clear we want him to stay.

No more ball licking needed.
      Cant say I am surprised you think we are doing enough.

Scottbot

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      If and when it happens, are there many options out there?
      Reply #42: Jul 24, 2013 05:11:44 pm
      I'm bored stupid with the rumour thread, the deliberation and the fear of losing our best player to a close rival. It's hard to see Luis still being at the club in October or whenever his ban runs out. I'm already wondering who the club might look to get in if he goes. It's all very well having £40-50 million to spend but it seems to me that a good proportion of the players you would consider to be marquee have already gone this window. You had the likes of Negredo, Levezzi, Falcao, Cavani etc who were already out of bounds for us (i'd say) but players like Damaio, Villa, Jovtevic and (by the looks ofd it) Higuain are also off the market. Even Benteke (not someone I would necessarily want) is tied down to a new contract.

My knowledge of the European market isn't brilliant and I really don't know who is out there and capable of filling even half the gap that losing Luis would/will leave?

From the EPL the only player I can think of who might fit the bill would be Michu. I always liked the lad Pato who played for AC Milan but I don't know where he is plying his trade these days.

Obviously when Torres was sold we had the seamless transition to a new star in suarez, I'm not so sure the options are out there this time.

Sorry I know this is speculative (feel free to move it mods) but I'd rather talk about how we might replace Luis than waste any more time on the 'will he stay or will he go now' talk.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #43: Jul 24, 2013 05:37:08 pm
       Just typed a reply, here's a shortened version (it disappeared). I think Swansea will want daft money for Michu. I'd stick with Danny Sturridge, from what I've seen of Aspas and the like he's the best we've got by miles. Maybe we buy Ericcsson, a top centre half and that Bernard bloke from Brazil, strengthen elsewhere.

On that note a few Brazillians use the pub who know their football, one told me today Bernard is a "frickin brilliant player". He reckons 25 mill would get him and he'd rip it up.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #44: Jul 24, 2013 05:38:58 pm
      Just typed a reply, here's a shortened version (it disappeared). I think Swansea will want daft money for Michu. I'd stick with Danny Sturridge, from what I've seen of Aspas and the like he's the best we've got by miles. Maybe we buy Ericcsson, a top centre half and that Bernard bloke from Brazil, strengthen elsewhere.

On that note a few Brazillians use the pub who know their football, one told me today Bernard is a "frickin brilliant player". He reckons 25 mill would get him and he'd rip it up.

Sorry Mick, you probably lost it when I merged the topics.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #45: Jul 24, 2013 05:39:47 pm
      Sorry Mick, you probably lost it when I merged the topics.

No bother mate. It was bollocks anyway.

Quick Reply