Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Suarez's replacement

Read 22570 times
      caboodlems
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 29 posts |
      Re: Suarez's replacement
      Reply #46: Jul 24, 2013 05:44:38 pm
      I wouldn't be rushing to spend the Suarez money on a striker. We have to give Sturridge, Aspas and Borini a chance. I would rather hold onto it and starting finding the man who is going to replace Gerrard in 2 years cos that replacement is going to cost the earth to get anywhere near matching Stevie !  :f_wah:
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #47: Jul 24, 2013 06:12:13 pm
      How about Papiss Cisse or Djemba Ba?

Both very different players to Suarez but as Oldred suggested, Brendan may not want to sign a like-for-like player anyway. If we signed another creative attacker along with either of these finishers, I'd be confident of a decent goalscoring rate this season.

Cisse has fallen out with Newcastle after refusing to play with a certain sponsor on his kit. Now this may suggest that he is something of a troublemaker but I believe this specific incident is down to his religious beliefs. Toure and Assaidi are both Muslim, as well as members of our staff (Dr Iqbal, for example) and I haven't heard any rumours about them being displeased with any aspect of our club so maybe we could take advantage.
      The only downside is having to deal with Newcastle again!!

As for Ba, it may be that he is part of Mourine's plans but there are a lot of rumours flying around that he is not particularly wanted there. Perhaps Brendan could have a word with his old pal.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #48: Jul 24, 2013 06:12:29 pm
      Lets just be tw*ts and try and unsettle Walcott,  Mr  Wenger £40m and £1 plus Theo Walcott and you've got a deal.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #49: Jul 24, 2013 06:54:50 pm
      In the situation we are in is there anyone who can replace his 30 goals?
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #50: Jul 24, 2013 07:19:40 pm
      Just typed a reply, here's a shortened version (it disappeared). I think Swansea will want daft money for Michu. I'd stick with Danny Sturridge, from what I've seen of Aspas and the like he's the best we've got by miles. Maybe we buy Ericcsson, a top centre half and that Bernard bloke from Brazil, strengthen elsewhere.

On that note a few Brazillians use the pub who know their football, one told me today Bernard is a "frickin brilliant player". He reckons 25 mill would get him and he'd rip it up.

I know someone like Michu would be crazy money BUT let's be honest, any bid in excess of £25 million is pretty much crazy money and the marquee signing you referred to in your Febregas thread is generally gonna be in the same category. My worry with possibly relying on Sturridge is his injury record which (if you scan his career) isn't particularly good. I'm not sure he has managed a full season at any of his clubs? If he were to get injured for a few months we would well and truly up the swanny.

At least a player like Michu would also give us a different dimension to the on the shoulder/pace dynamic that Sturridge provides. He's a big lad, he's superb in the air and he is also creative. In fact he is all the things Morientes should have been.
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #51: Jul 24, 2013 09:47:46 pm
      Lets just be tw*ts and try and unsettle Walcott,  Mr  Wenger £40m and £1 plus Theo Walcott and you've got a deal.

I like this idea...never going to happen, but i like it.

I would take Muniaín myself, but thats never going to happen either.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #52: Jul 24, 2013 10:07:18 pm
      In the situation we are in is there anyone who can replace his 30 goals?

Can't see it myself mate, unless we can pull off something similar to what Arsenal did with RVP.
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #53: Jul 24, 2013 10:16:14 pm
      Cabaye,cissokho,soldado,Bernard,papa

60m spent 50m in
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #54: Jul 24, 2013 10:18:46 pm
      Can't see it myself mate, unless we can pull off something similar to what Arsenal did with RVP.
      doesn't that make you really concerned for the new season taking all those goals out of a side that was fragile last season anyway.Having seen the fantastic support in Australia imagine how much more support we would have in the world if we won the league but that's going to take INVESTMENT.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #55: Jul 24, 2013 10:22:09 pm
      I like Walcott but who will score the other 15 goals.I like the idea of getting Ayre and Brendan to get on their knees and kiss his feet because without him we are in serious trouble.
      Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #56: Jul 24, 2013 10:24:13 pm
      http://www.caughtoffside.com/2013/07/24/top-ten-replacements-for-liverpool-striker-luis-suarez/

A few decent ideas in this article. There were suggestions the club have been looking into replacements in case Luis went so hopefully they've got some contingencies in place
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #57: Jul 24, 2013 10:25:37 pm
      http://www.caughtoffside.com/2013/07/24/top-ten-replacements-for-liverpool-striker-luis-suarez/

A few decent ideas in thisd article. There were suggestions the club have been looking into replacements in case Luis went so hopefully they've got come contingencies in place
      and as soon as we sell Luis their price goes up by 33% or higher.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #58: Jul 24, 2013 10:26:21 pm

Think we need to be bigger tw*ts than that. Not a fan of Wenger, when Kenny told him to F**k off i went ecstatic.
      Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #59: Jul 24, 2013 10:45:10 pm
      and as soon as we sell Luis their price goes up by 33% or higher.

Yeah that's about the truth of it unfortunately. It's either that of sit on the money so I guess there's not much choice just so long as the club don't repeat a monumental mistake of Carroll proportions.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Reply #60: Jul 24, 2013 10:57:05 pm

So is Luis Suarez.

Contracts don't mean F**k all anymore.

As for Suarez's replacement? We don't need one as we proved last year with a record of played:10 won:7 drew:2 lost:1. A 70% win ration without him in the side proves that we can cope just as well, if not better, without him. So a replacement isn't something we drastically need and don't need to go and spend the money for the sake of spending it like we did on Carroll.

We can take the time, assess the situation and come up with the right result that our replacement is sitting in the reserves called Adam Morgan. The same place we got both Fowler and Owen from. Or we can go to Southampton and test them with a bid for their number 7 - Rickie Lambert.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #61: Jul 24, 2013 11:01:11 pm
      Much like when Rush left, it'll take two players to replace him and if they turn out to be half as good as Barnes & Beardsley :)
      Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #62: Jul 24, 2013 11:12:10 pm
      As for Suarez's replacement? We don't need one as we proved last year with a record of played:10 won:7 drew:2 lost:1. A 70% win ration without him in the side proves that we can cope just as well, if not better, without him. So a replacement isn't something we drastically need and don't need to go and spend the money for the sake of spending it like we did on Carroll.

I'd refer you back to Sturridge's injury record fella, it's not particularly good over the years, particularly for a young pro. I personally think we'd be crazy not to replace Suarez properly as and when he leaves. The thought of Borini and the untested Aspas don't fill me with confidence should Sturridge miss more time through injury.
      Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #63: Jul 24, 2013 11:16:30 pm
      We can take the time, assess the situation and come up with the right result that our replacement is sitting in the reserves called Adam Morgan. The same place we got both Fowler and Owen from. Or we can go to Southampton and test them with a bid for their number 7 - Rickie Lambert.

Have to take you up on both suggestions mate. I can't see morgan ever getting there, he's a bright player with clever movement and is a decent finisher but at the next level it won't be enough, not by a longshot. As for Lambert, not for me either. I work with Saints (we run their 2nd chance football academy program) and get to see Lambert 3-4 times a season. He's a good pro but again, I think he has pretty much found his level and if Rodgers didn't like Carroll's skill set then there is very little chance he would go for Lambert.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #64: Jul 24, 2013 11:17:46 pm
      I have a feeling we wont replace him!

Sturridge, Aspas, Borini and we'll buy someone like Morata. Add Eriksen to the mix and id say that's how we'll go into the season attacking wise. The rest of the money will go towards other positions.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #65: Jul 24, 2013 11:22:39 pm
      Don't see Morgan making it as a Championship striker even mate even though it would be nice to see a local lad get a chance. Bit of a romanticised tint on reality in my opinion unfortunately :(

My gut is still telling me that Suarez is going to stay for some reason... Can't put my finger on it.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #66: Jul 24, 2013 11:23:58 pm
      Totally agree with Scottbot. Not a snow ball's chance in hell will Adam Morgan become a first team regular let alone Suarez's replacement.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Reply #67: Jul 25, 2013 01:25:45 am
      I'd refer you back to Sturridge's injury record fella, it's not particularly good over the years, particularly for a young pro. I personally think we'd be crazy not to replace Suarez properly as and when he leaves. The thought of Borini and the untested Aspas don't fill me with confidence should Sturridge miss more time through injury.

But when you look at the players with bad injury records we've got then the lack of injuries they've had since Brendan and his training methods have turned up, the number of injuries has decreased. Agger got through a full season unscathed last year, as did Johnson. Both of whom have had injury plagued seasons for the last couple of years. Gerrard who was going through injury spell after injury spell ended up playing every minute of every match for 36 straight Premiership games.

Whatever Brendan is doing in terms of preparation or fitness coaching or the medical staff he has at hand, it's working in terms of players with bad injury records not being injured a) as often b) for as long. Hopefully with a full year working with Sturridge, it can keep him fit for the season.

I agree that Borini doesn't give me much hope if he's picked and Aspas I don't know much about but given his goal earlier today, he looks like he could be a poacher, which is what we need.

Have to take you up on both suggestions mate. I can't see morgan ever getting there, he's a bright player with clever movement and is a decent finisher but at the next level it won't be enough, not by a longshot. As for Lambert, not for me either. I work with Saints (we run their 2nd chance football academy program) and get to see Lambert 3-4 times a season. He's a good pro but again, I think he has pretty much found his level and if Rodgers didn't like Carroll's skill set then there is very little chance he would go for Lambert.

To be fair it was more a tongue in cheek comment at those who believe I'll only be happy when I see eleven Scousers in the side. Though I do believe Morgs should be given a go, he's got a god given talent in his finishing. As I said, we need a poacher in my eyes and Morgan is just that. Unfortunately for him when he got his chance in the first team he was asked to play on the wing, which is not the position a goal poacher should be playing but there you go. I agree he won't make it here but for me that's as much about being given the opportunity as it is talent. Given the number of games Borini got last year, I would guess that Morgan would of scored more than a mere 2 goals. (I do understand Borini ended up playing on the wing a lot of the time as well)

Lambert, again I agree he wouldn't be first choice on Rodgers' transfer list. But the fella scores goals. 15 Premiership goals last year in a team that was struggling for the most part. But given his age, his style of play and the fact that the Saints play around him which we wouldn't, it's not a viable option.

As I said though, it was more just a poke at those who think I only want Scousers in the team.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #68: Jul 25, 2013 12:03:07 pm
      I'd throw a £15/£20 million bid at Michu.

Quick Reply