Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Europe, Transfer priorities and Spurs

Read 1374 times
      oscarlee
      • Forum Youth Player
      • Started Topic

• 13 posts |
      Europe, Transfer priorities and Spurs
      Aug 15, 2013 10:11:32 am
      I just joined.

As we go through the transfer window, does anyone else other than me think that us missing out on Europe this season has hurt our ability to bring in the players?

Rumours aside, there seem to be more players that we did not get or would not get. And it would seem that despite the history, we are no longer the dream club that players fight to join. Rather, we have players (Suarez, Agger) that have their heads turned.

Also, with the retirement of Carragher, and the blip we suffered when Lucas was out and lost form, I would have thought that apart from attacking players, the defensive midfield and centreback reinforcements would have been high priority.

Apart from Toure, who is a good player but still a stop gap, we have yet to bring in any form of solidity, especially with Coates' BPL quality being questionable, Wisdom who is still a work-in-progress, Agger and Skrtel constantly on the brink of leaving for Barca and Napoli respectively... we may end up being really thin on the position most likely to see injuries and suspensions.

When I read that Paulinho had joined Spurs, I wondered if we did look at the player... he seemed like a good deal for 17M... and do we need a strong player there to challenge, replace and sub for Lucas - for me that is our soft belly since Mascherano's departure.

And when Soldado joined Spurs, I wondered if we are as good as the chaps at White Hart Lane in scouting and getting the players in?

And that brings me back to the point... is Spurs more attractive because they are still in Europe? 

YNWA.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Re: Europe, Transfer priorities and Spurs
      Reply #1: Aug 15, 2013 01:54:43 pm
      To an extent, yes but it's also a double edged sword. Remember, the Europa League is formerly three competitions rolled in to one and could have meant up to another 21 games to win the competition. Depending upon how serious Spurs take the competition, it could work in our favour by us being fresher towards the business end of the season. They also run a potentially higher risk of injury to key players. Personally I think a player looking at a club like ours or Spurs will look at the quality of the squad and determine their chances of progressing to the Champion's League and/or mounting a title challenge, as well as how much money is being waved under their noses and whilst you can potentially earn more at Liverpool than Spurs, it's all performance related pay at us as opposed to the traditional guaranteed wages plus standard win bonuses (as far as I'm aware).

A mod will probably want to move this as well because this forum is for transfer gossip :)
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #2: Aug 16, 2013 12:07:36 am
      Welcome to the forum oscarlee.  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

Just so you know mate, it is always a good idea to check the forum for similar topics before starting new ones. Something must be wrong, i'm pretty sure you had to have 24 posts before you could start a topic before?.

As the above person said, this topic will be moved, probably into the Kop section.

Enjoy your time here and educate yourself in The Liverpool Way.

Happy posting.
      oscarlee
      • Forum Youth Player
      • Started Topic

• 13 posts |
      Reply #3: Aug 16, 2013 04:00:29 am
      thanks all... noted and happy to have this transferred to the right place...
      mod - if you would please.
      still learning my way around...
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #4: Aug 16, 2013 07:33:48 am
      Welcome.

Echo HardCore's advice.

(Not PC to put another EPL team in a thread title)

Quick Reply