Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Tiago Ilori (Liverpool -> Reading)

Read 99986 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Tiago Ilori Player Thread
      Reply #69: Dec 02, 2013 11:20:40 pm
      Come to think of it, Assaidi too. Not a Rodgers signing from all indications.

Who did sign him then??
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #70: Dec 03, 2013 02:45:47 am
      Yesil shouldn't be lumped in. He's still young and had to sit out for awhile thru injury.

Come to think of it, Assaidi too. Not a Rodgers signing from all indications.

I am aware of his age.

There was a period prior to his injury 6 odd months where Rodgers promised he would be "fast tracked" through Europe League and cup runs he made a total of 2 appearences.

Assaidi situation was nothing but bizzarre.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #71: Dec 03, 2013 08:10:14 pm
      Rodgers' targets for January window

Brendan Rodgers will take inspiration from his transfer dealings in January of this year when the next window opens and he renews the search for the 'right' players to strengthen his squad.

The boss' two signings at the beginning of 2013, playmaker Philippe Coutinho and striker Daniel Sturridge, have both proved an unqualified success throughout their opening year at Liverpool.

Rodgers reiterated his philosophy from the summer that the club will not only target players capable of enhancing the Reds' starting XI, but also recruit talented individuals for the future.

"We are always trying to build for the future with a sense of the present, which is to strengthen where we can," the manager said.

"You can only do that if you can bring in players who will enhance the team or you just stockpile players.

"We will always look to improve the team in the windows. I have regular communication with the owners so it's not a case of sitting down.

"It is always evolving. What we can't afford to do is to spend for the sake of it. If the money is there and the right player is available, I have no doubts the owners would spend that money.

"It has to be one that can come in and help us. We saw last January with the two boys who came in and helped the team straight away, there was no hesitation with that.

"It was something that they did. If that can be the case in January again, that would be brilliant for us. We want to keep improving. I am privileged to be here and I know the conditions that I have to work in.

"We are trying to grow something here and develop it. We are not going to be in a position to improve it all ways straight away.

"The only frustration comes after performances and results like against Hull. That is the challenge of us trying to grow this thing here and develop it all the time."

The Northern Irishman used defender Tiago Ilori, who switched to Liverpool on transfer deadline day in September, as a perfect example of adding players to build for the future at Anfield.

"Signing Ilori was about looking after the future of the club. Centre-halves are very hard to get," he continued.

"I know as well as anyone, especially working with young players, that they need time in that area. He was one that became available. He wasn't overly-priced.

"I see the price that is quoted and it is nowhere near the mark to be honest. He has come in, he will have six months to adapt and then he will go out and get experience.

"Hopefully in the future, maybe long after I am gone, he can prove to be a talent. That is the responsibility of myself and the club going forward to nurture it.

"Of course I have to focus very much on the here and now, but I always have to respect the club and have one eye on the future."

The bit Italicized had me raise my eyebrows. With Brendan on the verge of possibly, according to the media, given a 5 year contract extension, does he expect this kid to become good then? I know he's only young and he's one for the future but do you think Ilori really wants to wait that long before he gets his chance?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #72: Dec 03, 2013 08:28:11 pm
      Tiago Ilori, who switched to Liverpool on transfer deadline day in September, as a perfect example of adding players to build for the future at Anfield.

Unless he starts significantly adding players to build the first team he wont be part of that future.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #73: Dec 03, 2013 08:36:04 pm

Unless he starts significantly adding players to build the first team he wont be part of that future.

Agreed mate. Let's see what this kid has to offer. He doesn't look like he's going to get any League game time, althought I think he should come on as a sub at some stage, but I hope he's going to be given a crack in the FA Cup at the very least.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #74: Dec 03, 2013 08:41:39 pm
      Agreed mate. Let's see what this kid has to offer. He doesn't look like he's going to get any League game time, althought I think he should come on as a sub at some stage, but I hope he's going to be given a crack in the FA Cup at the very least.

FA Cup and a few sub appearances could have been a good started for him, it's not like he isn't used to playing first team football and Sporting are far from a push over team. Sounds like he is set to go out on loan though

He has come in, he will have six months to adapt and then he will go out and get experience.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #75: Dec 03, 2013 08:44:32 pm
      That but you highlighted frustrates me 7KK&, 6 months to adapt to liverpool lifestyle, gameplans, tactics and then shoved out on loan, what's the F***ing point?  :mad: :mad: :mad:
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #76: Dec 03, 2013 08:48:54 pm
      That but you highlighted frustrates me 7KK&, 6 months to adapt to liverpool lifestyle, gameplans, tactics and then shoved out on loan, what's the f**king point?  :mad: :mad: :mad:

You couldn't make this sh*t up could you?! It really is laughable the state our dealing with transfers and players in Ilori's position has become. In all honesty we may as well have just loaned him back to Sporting for the season, as least then the lad would be involved with first team football more. By what Rodgers has said it appears he has no plans to be putting Ilori even so much as on the bench anytime soon over the next season or so at least!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #77: Dec 03, 2013 08:57:13 pm
      Sounds like £7M wasted on a future punt, would have been cheaper to do the lottery.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #78: Dec 03, 2013 09:02:55 pm
      I don't even remember what he looks like, let alone what he could bring to our side. FFS.

yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Reply #79: Dec 20, 2013 12:05:43 pm
      has to start against Oldham, and we ll take it from there. Or go to Napoli on loan. Or something
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #80: Dec 20, 2013 12:48:52 pm
      has to start against Oldham, and we ll take it from there. Or go to Napoli on loan. Or something

Why go on loan to Napoli? He won't get a game there either...
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #81: Dec 20, 2013 12:56:55 pm
      Brendan recently said we didn't pay "anthing like" 7 million quid for him, and personally I'm not too impatient to see him play. He's only a boy, and I've got a long enough memory to recall that whenever we bought players they almost always disappeared for six months. We've got a good centre half pairing right now, give this kid time.
      yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Reply #82: Dec 20, 2013 01:09:28 pm
      because when we pay 20 million or so for him, aspas and alberto and they play a total of less 500 minutes per season between them you wonder if they are Borinis in the making. Worth noting that him and aspas were not ones for the future in the former clubs. Neither was coates. I think that's code for underwhelming in anyone over 18
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #83: Dec 20, 2013 01:30:40 pm
      Since when did every signing, especially kids, have to be an instant success?  I like that we try and plan for the future and yes it may fail but how many signings for 'the now' failed?

I wish this instant gratification crowd would F**k off to their respective bedrooms and toss themselves to death.

yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Reply #84: Dec 20, 2013 01:35:51 pm
      I see that mature debate isn't really an option in this case
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #85: Dec 20, 2013 02:23:50 pm
      because when we pay 20 million or so for him, aspas and alberto and they play a total of less 500 minutes per season between them you wonder if they are Borinis in the making. Worth noting that him and aspas were not ones for the future in the former clubs. Neither was coates. I think that's code for underwhelming in anyone over 18

There is always the possibility with any signing that they won't work out, or be "Borini's in the making" as you put it. On the case of Borini, my guess is if he continues to play like he has been doing for Sunderland, by the end of the season we'll get most of our money back in any case. If only all "failures" were as good as that one.

As for Alberto and the like. Well there was a debate a few weeks ago (rightly in my view) about whether or not Brendan was backing his own judgement enough and playing his own players enough. Since then of course Joe Allen has come into the team and looked a very good player indeed, and Sakho looks like a monster too, so that debate has gone a bit quiet.

FWIW I think Alberto will probably turn into a decent player for us. I don't think Aspas will (although once again we won't lose a fortune on him) and as for Llori, I've no idea what he even looks like. If the manager is telling the truth though that we paid nowhere near 7 mill for him, even if he doesn't work out we aren't going to lose much.

Given we've got a chance of going top of the league almost at the half way stage tomorrow, I can't really understand peoples impatience to stick a kid into the team though. That's the bit I don't get.   
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #86: Dec 20, 2013 02:28:07 pm
      Brendan seems to have managed the youngsters well to this point. I'm going to go ahead and trust his instincts on this one over my own (or anyone else on this forum) as he knows a hell of a lot more about football than any of us.

yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Reply #87: Dec 20, 2013 03:13:34 pm
      I don't think that the suarez contract, potentially going top ..etc should hinder debate. After we lost at hull there was a lot of debate, and rightly so, and this should continue. If we win tomorrow we will still be a couple of points of 5th place, going into city and Chelsea away. It is possible to do well and question aspects going less well simultaneously.

We didn't sign sequiera because of money. Sissokho has been poor. Flanagan has got us out of a hole which has been surprising. We didn't sign a left winger because of money. Moses has been poor. We have committed lots of money into the suarez contract. Therefore, aspas in, borini out, ilori in, wisdom out, alberto in/suso out (ok to get experience in some circumstances), all of which seem unnecessary currently, are gambles. They are 20 million pounds worth of gambles. If we had stuck with wisdom, suso, and borini given that their replacements or equivalents aren't getting much game time (yes I know alberto plays further forward) we would have had 20 million more to spend. If we finish top 4, and suso &Co come back more experienced, great. If we miss out because we haven't strengthened in centre mid and left wing, or chosen cheaper options then not so great.

Ilori is 21 in 6 weeks and has played in the Europa. He is not strictly speaking a kid. Not compared to say sterling who plays a lot more

TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #88: Dec 23, 2013 11:09:23 am
      The difference with Sterling is : Ilori is a CB, and you don't risk using an unproven young CB when you aren't forced to, especially when you already have to developp new partnerships with the addition of Sakho and Toure.

Now I think Ilori was mostly signed because Brendan couldn't be sure we'll get Sakho or that we could keep Agger, Barcelona looked interested in at this stage (now of course BR could have waited more, but perhaps only worse players would have been available past July).
      So the Portuguese is now a bit surplus to requirements (on the other hand would we have failed to get Sakho and lost Dagger, it was very needed to recruit a third CB as Toure is a bit too old to play all games, and Coates is only set to return around May - and also doesn't seem a player Brendan rates).
      Best thing that can happen to him and us is a loan to an english club, allowing him to developp but also learn more about this league, and eventually become useful for us in a year or two.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #89: Dec 23, 2013 01:29:46 pm
      I could have sworn when we signed this boy that the boss said "hes for the future" that could be 2015 could be next March, but why the panic that he hasnt played? Skrtel Agger Toure and Sakho all ahead of him so why the surprise he hasnt played?

yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Reply #90: Dec 23, 2013 01:49:20 pm
      I am more interested in making sure we finish top 4. City Spurs United Chelsea are in transition. Suarez is on cracking form. We're only 2 points ahead of 5th and we have an average bench. My point purely was that I hope the 20 million spent on him Aspas and Alberto (when we have loaned out 3 similar players) doesn't stop us strengthening in January. If it does, and we don't finish top 4, then the 3 signings which hardly play will seem pretty pointless. We don't appear to have a bottomless pit of money otherwise cissokho and moses won't have been signed for their 'value for money'.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #91: Jan 07, 2014 12:11:20 pm
      Oh tiago.....where the f**k are you?

I know he was on the bench at the weekend but he's like the mystery man in first team terms.
      Very expensive to be kicking about the reserves

Quick Reply