Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Mamadou Sakho (Liverpool > Crystal Palace)

Read 206166 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,174 posts | 4402 
      Re: Mamadou Sakho Player Thread
      Reply #1725: Sep 02, 2016 10:43:38 pm
      Just reading Ring Of Fire by Simon Hughes and came across this in the Alonso chapter:

Instantly I think of one of the reasons we love Sakho so much, those last ditch tackles, where he throws his long frame behind everything to get a toe on the ball. Then I think about the first few weeks under Klopp where every analysis was dominated by the discussion of our shape and discipline in playing the selected shape.

Maybe we're all over thinking the Sakho thing too much, maybe after nearly a year Klopp has just decided that position wise Mama just isn't up to scratch. Not for a regular place at least? Maybe this is the shared quality Matip and Klavan had that made Klopp decide they were the ones he wanted. Klavan may have been a head scratcher but so was Sami Hyypia some years ago. Sami never had the legs to deal with the forwards he came up against, but his reading of the game was incredible, he was in the right place at the right time.

Like Benteke, Sakho is not a bad player, but maybe he just doesn't suit exactly what we want to do?

Note: I am not comparing Ragnar Klavan to Sami Hyypia before I get murdered here! :)

I doubt Lovren is any better at reading the game than Sakho, hell I reckon he is worse.

I think it all comes down to his  attitude, Playing the clown just doesn't impress Jürgen.

The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #1726: Sep 02, 2016 10:48:40 pm
      I doubt Lovren is any better at reading the game than Sakho, hell I reckon he is worse.

I think it all comes down to his  attitude, Playing the clown just doesn't impress Jürgen.

I understand where you're coming from mate but is that coming from playing with Skrtel and then (if we are to assume that this is his issue) Sakho, that he is the one doing the recovering. I am just trying to rationalise why he has been the one left in the starting XI.

You're probably right about the attitude anyway. I have had three different theories in three days about the lad, think I just need to accept he's a pain in the arse and drop it! :D
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,174 posts | 4402 
      Reply #1727: Sep 02, 2016 11:13:47 pm
      I understand where you're coming from mate but is that coming from playing with Skrtel and then (if we are to assume that this is his issue) Sakho, that he is the one doing the recovering. I am just trying to rationalise why he has been the one left in the starting XI.

You're probably right about the attitude anyway. I have had three different theories in three days about the lad, think I just need to accept he's a pain in the arse and drop it! :D

Not sure exactly what the issue is in regard to Sakho but it seems like similar reasons why PSG let him leave.

He is prone to the odd 10 minutes of madness every so often which would make any manager think along with his bad attitude he is not worth the effort which is a shame as when he is on his game he is a great defender.

PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,526 posts | 719 
      Reply #1728: Sep 03, 2016 03:23:28 pm
      If Sakho, Benteke, Sturridge doesnt 'fit our style' who does? cause we've been midtable fodder for a hot minute. And this 'fit our style' talk has been happening since Rodgers was here and we seem to keep buying players that 'arent our style' for big money.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Reply #1729: Sep 06, 2016 11:12:28 am
      Took part in training with the first team, hopefully see him back in our back 4.....
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,267 posts | 6368 
      Reply #1730: Sep 06, 2016 03:42:34 pm
      Took part in training with the first team, hopefully see him back in our back 4.....

I thought Klopp didn't rate him, if that's the case, why would he be back in his graces already?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,172 posts | 4907 
      Reply #1731: Sep 06, 2016 05:08:52 pm

I only think we'll see him if others get injured mate.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #1732: Sep 06, 2016 05:25:44 pm
      I only think we'll see him if others get injured mate.

Legally he has to play in a minimum 10% of the games this season. Not sure if that includes games off the bench.

Sakho is better than Lovren and Klavan, possibly Matip as well as I haven't seen enough of him yet to judge his quality.

I think Big Mama will work his way back in to the first team before January.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1733: Sep 06, 2016 05:54:55 pm
      Legally he has to play in a minimum 10% of the games this season. Not sure if that includes games off the bench.

Sakho is better than Lovren and Klavan, possibly Matip as well as I haven't seen enough of him yet to judge his quality.

Legally?
      Why?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1734: Sep 06, 2016 06:05:24 pm

Can leave on a free if he doesn't.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1735: Sep 06, 2016 06:08:30 pm

Never heard of that before.
      Some kind of contract clause?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1736: Sep 06, 2016 06:28:42 pm

So a manager has to play all players in a club then?? I'm fairly sure that is not the case but if that is the case then it will be interesting to see how many games Schweinsteiger gets at Manure this season. ;-)

I would however imagine there might be a condition that a player has to be allowed to train at the club.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,174 posts | 4402 
      Reply #1737: Sep 06, 2016 06:41:18 pm
      So a manager has to play all players in a club then?? I'm fairly sure that is not the case but if that is the case then it will be interesting to see how many games Schweinsteiger gets at Manure this season. ;-)

I would however imagine there might be a condition that a player has to be allowed to train at the club.

Yeah I imagine it would be tantamount to bullying be getting him to train away from the rest of the team.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1738: Sep 06, 2016 06:45:57 pm
      Yeah I imagine it would be tantamount to bullying be getting him to train away from the rest of the team.

Would infringe on his human rights and all that crap, but who a manager chooses to put on his team sheet is entirely up to the manager, unless Sakho has some kind of bizarre clause in his contract and knowing Ian Ayre like we all do anything is possible!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,267 posts | 6368 
      Reply #1739: Sep 06, 2016 07:04:03 pm
      Would infringe on his human rights and all that crap, but who a manager chooses to put on his team sheet is entirely up to the manager, unless Sakho has some kind of bizarre clause in his contract and knowing Ian Ayre like we all do anything is possible!

It's not a clause. It's something to do with the players union or whatever it's called. Same thing as we were going to run into with Benteke.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,172 posts | 4907 
      Reply #1740: Sep 06, 2016 07:08:55 pm

So you're saying if a club as a painting of CB, for example, who are bang in form all season they would have to break that up so these another player plays 20% of games?

I've never heard of that before.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1741: Sep 06, 2016 07:22:35 pm
      Never heard of that before.
      Some kind of contract clause?

It's already been mentioned, it's a PFA thing, but the player has to choose to enforce it and it only covers games a player was available for.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1742: Sep 06, 2016 07:25:30 pm
      It's already been mentioned, it's a PFA thing, but the player has to choose to enforce it and it only covers games a player was available for.

Fair enough.
      Hadn't come across it before, so thanks for the info :)
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,174 posts | 4402 
      Reply #1743: Sep 06, 2016 07:30:22 pm
      I suppose the get out clause is always making the player available to play in the reserves I assume that would count toward the 10%
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1744: Sep 06, 2016 08:49:24 pm
      It'll include sub appearances. I guess it's the reason why Wasilewski played just 4 games last season, Inler 5 games, Amartey 5 games & Benalouane 4 games.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #1745: Sep 07, 2016 01:38:24 am
      Heard he's back training with the first team today. This is good news. Glad he stuck to his guns and resisted a temporary move. I hope the alarm bells have rung and he knuckles down, even if he doesn't feature for a fair few fixtures.

Whereas he may have a few behavioural/attitude problems off the pitch, I don't believe for a second that he's another Mario Balotelli.

Moral of the story, don't go on loan...

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1746: Sep 07, 2016 10:04:37 am
      I thought Klopp didn't rate him, if that's the case, why would he be back in his graces already?

What I want to know is, do the cultist guardians of this forum allow us to support Sahko now in his effort to get back into the team?

:confused-smiley-013:

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1747: Sep 07, 2016 11:11:20 am
      Heard he's back training with the first team today. This is good news. Glad he stuck to his guns and resisted a temporary move. I hope the alarm bells have rung and he knuckles down, even if he doesn't feature for a fair few fixtures.

Whereas he may have a few behavioural/attitude problems off the pitch, I don't believe for a second that he's another Mario Balotelli.

Moral of the story, don't go on loan...

Hmm, so you're glad he disrespected the wishes of his manager, I'm not sure I am.

Quick Reply