Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Mamadou Sakho (Liverpool > Crystal Palace)

Read 206149 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Mamadou Sakho Player Thread
      Reply #552: Jun 17, 2014 02:42:56 pm
      Varane & Sakho is quite a CB partnership.

I agree. Would be terrific to see it at club level… :D
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #553: Jun 17, 2014 03:28:40 pm
      Best at the World Cup possibly.

One of the best surely, but I also think Thiago Silva & David Luiz is a brilliant partnership.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,174 posts | 4402 
      Reply #554: Jun 17, 2014 04:30:57 pm
      Sakho and llori will be best CB pairing in the prem in the next couple of years.

You heard it here first.
      yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Reply #555: Jun 20, 2014 10:22:37 pm
      If you adopt the frencj example It's so clear that we can build the defence around Sakho. Sakho plus mobile CB (varane equivalent) and you can get away with not the best full backs providing you can a good shield from your midfielders
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #556: Jun 20, 2014 10:59:52 pm
      Sakho and llori will be best CB pairing in the prem in the next couple of years.

You heard it here first.

I hope that partnership gets given the opportunity to thrive at some point.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #557: Jun 21, 2014 08:20:38 am
      Let's hope he carries his world cup form into the new season for the mighty REDS.
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #558: Jun 22, 2014 09:28:11 pm
      One of the best surely, but I also think Thiago Silva & David Luiz is a brilliant partnership.
      David Luiz is fairly comical as a defender imho. He is positionally very poor and has frequent lapses in concentration at crucial times, which is why Shitcoat decided to get rid (well, that and the ludicrous transfer fee).

And as much as I love Agger and Skrtel, I have to agree that Sakho and Varane would be an awesome CB pairing. Who knows, with Varane appearing not to be first choice at Real, there may even be a very small chance of it actually happening in the future.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #559: Jun 23, 2014 03:24:16 pm
      David Luiz is fairly comical as a defender imho. He is positionally very poor and has frequent lapses in concentration at crucial times, which is why Shitcoat decided to get rid (well, that and the ludicrous transfer fee).

And as much as I love Agger and Skrtel, I have to agree that Sakho and Varane would be an awesome CB pairing. Who knows, with Varane appearing not to be first choice at Real, there may even be a very small chance of it actually happening in the future.

Aren't Varane's knees supposed to be very suspect?  I think I remember reading somewhere that he can hardly handle more than 1 game per week because his knees are made of glass.... 

On Sakho, I think he will become one of the most dominant CB's in the league this next season.  He has all of the athleticism (size, strength, & speed) and ability (good passing, tenacious in the tackle, and a few tricks on the ball) to be an absolute world class CB.  Just need to get him a bit more experience and find a partner who he has a good understanding and chemistry with. 
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #560: Jun 23, 2014 03:52:14 pm
      Aren't Varane's knees supposed to be very suspect?  I think I remember reading somewhere that he can hardly handle more than 1 game per week because his knees are made of glass.... 

On Sakho, I think he will become one of the most dominant CB's in the league this next season.  He has all of the athleticism (size, strength, & speed) and ability (good passing, tenacious in the tackle, and a few tricks on the ball) to be an absolute world class CB.  Just need to get him a bit more experience and find a partner who he has a good understanding and chemistry with. 

That is key. Even after impressing in many games last season I'm still not inspired about Martin Skrtel's place in the squad. He has put in good individual performances but he seemingly has no ability to forge confidence in his fellow defenders or goalkeeper. If a solid offer came in for him tomorrow I'd sell Skrtel in an instance.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #561: Jul 02, 2014 12:50:44 pm
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #562: Jul 02, 2014 02:11:55 pm
      I saw the first couple of WC games but I've missed quite a few [at Glastonbury] -

Initially I heard 'commentators' mention Mama was picked because of his "leadership qualities" in defence (which I found strange, given "that's what we were missing" last season) but can anyone fill me in as to why he's he's been dropped: rest, injury, suspension?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,264 posts | 6367 
      Reply #563: Jul 02, 2014 02:12:56 pm
      I saw the first couple of WC games but I've missed quite a few [at Glastonbury] -

Initially I heard 'commentators' mention Mama was picked because of his "leadership qualities" in defence (which I found strange, given "that's what we were missing" last season) but can anyone fill me in as to why he's he's been dropped: rest, injury, suspension?
      Injury, but not sure how bad it is.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #564: Jul 02, 2014 02:16:05 pm
      Injury, but not sure how bad it is.
      Thanks FL... poor Mama seems to pick up injury quite regularly. Let's hope it's not too serious and we can benefit from his leadership proper next season.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,264 posts | 6367 
      Reply #565: Jul 02, 2014 02:22:13 pm
      Thanks FL... poor Mama seems to pick up injury quite regularly. Let's hope it's not too serious and we can benefit from his leadership proper next season.

From what I saw of France before his injury he was quite the beastly CB that we all are longing to see. Does underscore though why pushing out Agger would be a bad move IMO. He is excellent cover in the event Sakho turns out to be injury prone.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #566: Jul 02, 2014 02:57:57 pm

He was the captain of PSG at 17 years old!

He is known for his leadership but BR is very poor when it comes to defending. We miss Clarke.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8543 
      Reply #567: Jul 02, 2014 04:15:46 pm
      Picked up a knock in the second group game, hope he keeps the form he has shown at the World Cup going into the new season, easily been France's best defender.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #568: Jul 04, 2014 06:31:25 pm
      Jaysus he was bloody horrendous for France today.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,484 posts | 231 
      Reply #569: Jul 04, 2014 06:33:04 pm
      Maybe he is not good as we hope he would be? I think he could turn into a world class defender, but he has not shown that during last season and the World Cup so far.

Think he will still come good, but might not reach the lofty heights which people have predicted.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,174 posts | 4402 
      Reply #570: Jul 04, 2014 11:41:11 pm

Just exactly how was he horrendous?
      From the games I have seen he has been one of their best defenders.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8543 
      Reply #571: Jul 04, 2014 11:47:28 pm

Playing through an injury today, which is why he was replaced in the second half.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #572: Jul 04, 2014 11:49:20 pm
      Sakho played excellent at the world cup so I can't even comprehend the heavy handed criticism in here ffs wtf
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #573: Jul 05, 2014 09:12:03 am
      Playing through an injury today, which is why he was replaced in the second half.

Did you watch the Germany match? Even if he was injured his passing, his touch, position and header  were all very poor. So much so that Germany were leaving him unmanned so he would be the player distributing as opposed to varane. Hey I'm a big fan and hope it was down to his fitness but wither which way, he had a shocker.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #574: Jul 05, 2014 12:33:57 pm
      Did you watch the Germany match? Even if he was injured his passing, his touch, position and header  were all very poor. So much so that Germany were leaving him unmanned so he would be the player distributing as opposed to varane. Hey I'm a big fan and hope it was down to his fitness but wither which way, he had a shocker.

What the hell are you talking about?
      They only lost by one goal and it wasn't Sakho's fault. He was as big a presence as ever.

Quick Reply