Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Mamadou Sakho (Liverpool > Crystal Palace)

Read 205021 times
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Re: Mamadou Sakho Player Thread
      Reply #713: Sep 28, 2014 11:33:55 pm
      The ranking of our CBs misses the point. It's not about overall ability of the individual but what's the best pairing. Skrtel and Lovren is our best pairing but Sakho is the most talented IMO of the three. If we get a real solid partner that can bring out the best out of Sakho, however, then maybe things will be different. Until then, Skrtel and Lovren it is.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #714: Sep 29, 2014 12:10:46 am
      Shocking attitude.

There's a reason he is third choice should be professional about it, put up and prove other wise.

Makes me want to slap him carrying on like that given he's been at the club for 5 minutes, based on the same merit Agger should have been chasing Brendan around Anfield with a cricket bat.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #715: Sep 29, 2014 09:43:28 am
      Sakho has apologised to the club and supporters for his actions:

https://www.facebook.com/mamadousakho
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #716: Sep 29, 2014 10:56:10 am
      In defence, I'll admit it's ever since Carra and Neville highlighted it on a Monday Night Football, that I have seen his propensity to just back off endlessly. He's a nervous type, because the few times where he doesn't back off he makes rash tackles and rash decisions to rush out, twice already we've seen him rush out and get passed either between the legs or by whatever means to people running in behind him, those have resulted in goals. Lovren has shouldered some of the blame for those goals and while he is meant to cover for his CB partner, he also shouldn't be expect to carry the entire burden of defending.
      Just goes to show how we all view football from different angles and viewpoints.
      I don't see any of this backing off from Sakho that you mention he is usually a front foot defender who tries to anticipate the danger and admittedly in his aggression to cut out the danger has made errors. I think you have confused Sakho with Skrtel who is the back off master and quite often looks like he will end up in the back of the net backing off.

We do indeed see the game from different angles and your's as you've admitted is skewed by your belief that Sakho, a left-sided centre half, is better than Skrtel who plays on the right. Sakho played a lot last season [on merit?] but to get into the team [on merit], this season, he needs to be better than Lovren, not Skrtel,  ;)...

Anyhow, on the subject of "backing off" - my take on it [yet another 'different angle'  ;D] -

What I saw was a defence who just weren't comfortable together at times and seemed not to trust each other as a unit [keeper, back four and holding/defensive mid'].

For me the problem starts with Simon - when we play a high line, leaving a lot of space behind and little cover in front of the centre halves - he just doesn't sweep or command that space [even vocally] in a manner which breeds confidence. And, if I'm being honest, Stevie too offers less cover than a dedicated defensive midfielder.

Lack of cover, on the flanks, in front and behind the centre-halves, has (in my opinion) often left our two centre halves with little option other than to drop off the ball/attacker or, when it's played over the top, to defend facing their own goal. Neither of which are conducive to good defending practice.

I don't 'do' Sky TV, so I'm not sure what they said but I'm glad to see that the pundits have, finally, twigged on to the glaringly obvious.   ;D

Oh... and... as for own goals - well the chances of that happening are always enhanced when you're having to defend facing your own net or covering the 'space' behind and carrying the burden for your defensive 'partner'.  ;)

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #717: Sep 29, 2014 11:18:13 am
      Very unprofessional reaction.
      He played a lot in the last couple of weeks.

If Brendan rotated him, like he has done quite a few players, then suck it up.
      No time for that type of childishness.
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,860 posts | 165 
      Reply #718: Sep 29, 2014 05:07:38 pm
      Sorry but I'd take Skrtel over Sakho any day!
      Agreed.

lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #719: Sep 29, 2014 06:59:05 pm
      I though Martin played pretty well in the derby.
      Mamadou totally picked the wrong moment to loose his sh*t....Skrtel played well enough to deserve to be picked ahead of him for the coming games and i rate Sakho.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #720: Sep 30, 2014 01:13:24 pm
      Not to condone his actions but 2 things strike me here

1) HOW FOOKING PISSED OFF WOULD YOU BE IF TOURE GOT PICKED AHEAD OF YOU

2) It shows that he actually gives a fook where a lot of lads be happy to just get there wage
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #721: Sep 30, 2014 02:05:15 pm
      Not to condone his actions but 2 things strike me here

1) HOW FOOKING PISSED OFF WOULD YOU BE IF TOURE GOT PICKED AHEAD OF YOU

2) It shows that he actually gives a fook where a lot of lads be happy to just get there wage

While I do think he was unprofessional it's easy to see where he's coming from.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #722: Sep 30, 2014 05:36:17 pm
      Although nobody would condone Sakho's action of the weekend but leaving him out of the squad. What if either of Skrtel or Lovren get injured? The replacement on the bench is TOURE!
      I hope this doesn't backfire on us big style.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #723: Sep 30, 2014 05:40:23 pm
      Unprofessional yes but a bit blown out of proportion I think.

Probably does deserve to stay at home this week but needs to be back in the squad against WBA so Kolo isn't our only option from the bench!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #724: Sep 30, 2014 05:42:04 pm
      Has a thigh strain and will be out for 2-3 weeks.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #725: Sep 30, 2014 05:51:54 pm

Has thigh strain got two meanings then?

I only ask because an anagram (sp) of thigh strain
      Is 'a shhiting rat' and I was wondering if that is the punishment for being a shitting rat?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #726: Sep 30, 2014 05:53:21 pm

Was that from running out of the stadium? I doubt there's anything wrong with him. That's his punishment for the weekend reaction.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #727: Sep 30, 2014 06:17:48 pm
      Has thigh strain got two meanings then?

I only ask because an anagram (sp) of thigh strain
      Is 'a shhiting rat' and I was wondering if that is the punishment for being a shitting rat?

Was that from running out of the stadium? I doubt there's anything wrong with him. That's his punishment for the weekend reaction.

Possibly is a punishment as it means he's unavailable for France next week.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #728: Sep 30, 2014 06:44:31 pm
      Have to question the decision making of Brendan lately though. He's got team selections wrong on a couple of occasions already this season and leaving Sakho out for Toure is a complete joke!!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #729: Sep 30, 2014 10:06:16 pm
      Wonder if he is actually injured or if that's just what they are saying when it's in fact a punishment for walking out the stadium at the weekend.

There was talk that Agger wasn't injured at one point, just used as an excuse.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #730: Sep 30, 2014 10:24:37 pm
      It is always good to have competition for places in the side, although not condoning, on him walking out. Let's be thankful it was not Ballotelli, who walked out, or all hell would have been let loose by the press and media.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #731: Oct 01, 2014 12:07:28 pm
      Have to question the decision making of Brendan lately though. He's got team selections wrong on a couple of occasions already this season and leaving Sakho out for Toure is a complete joke!!

Fill us in on the full story then....
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #732: Oct 07, 2014 06:31:21 pm

Sakho is really injured not as many suggested that he was punished.
      Lethal Legacy
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts |
      Reply #733: Oct 08, 2014 09:28:31 am
      To be perfectly honest, I think Mamadou is the best central defender we have. He gets in the way, wins most 50/50s, puts great forward passes to the midfielders and really does try his hardest. I would have him as captain over hendo, although we all love Jordan.

Sakho has experience of being a captain with a big club (PSG). He's F***ing huge, black and scary looking, hes every strikers nightmare. Abit more work to do with this guy as he is only 24 but I honestly can see him be a fatal player for us, imo i think he already is.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #734: Oct 08, 2014 03:06:09 pm
      To be perfectly honest, I think Mamadou is the best central defender we have. He gets in the way, wins most 50/50s, puts great forward passes to the midfielders and really does try his hardest. I would have him as captain over hendo, although we all love Jordan.

Sakho has experience of being a captain with a big club (PSG). He's F***ing huge, black and scary looking, hes every strikers nightmare. Abit more work to do with this guy as he is only 24 but I honestly can see him be a fatal player for us, imo i think he already is.

Wouldn't disagree, watching him for France with his parter (was it Varane?) looked almost perfect.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #735: Oct 08, 2014 10:54:50 pm
      but I honestly can see him be a fatal player for us, imo i think he already is.
      Yep I think its pretty fatal when he has one of them panic attacks not good enough at the moment .

Quick Reply