Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Organisations could face manslaughter charges

Read 2848 times
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Organisations could face manslaughter charges
      Sep 12, 2013 03:33:25 pm
      Hillsborough: Organisations could face manslaughter charges

Manslaughter charges could be brought against organisations over the deaths of 96 fans in the Hillsborough tragedy, an inquiry boss has said.

Jon Stoddart said he was looking at the actions of South Yorkshire Police, Sheffield Wednesday FC, Sheffield City Council and the FA.

The retired officer said they were all being investigated for possible gross negligence manslaughter.

His team have found new evidence while going through thousands of documents.

The first priority for Mr Stoddart's inquiry, called Operation Resolve, is to provide evidence for the new inquest, which is set to start by 31 March 2014.

Unlawful killing
      Once the inquest concludes they will concentrate on the criminal side of the investigation and eventually hand their findings to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) for consideration.

Mr Stoddart, a former Durham Police Chief Constable, said: "We are here to try and prove or disprove the unlawful killing of 96 people and clearly the DPP will have to make a very important series of decisions on this."

He said the coroner had given them three things to consider as a priority: the safety of the stadium, the movements of the deceased and the response of the emergency services.

Forensic scientists, pathologists, structural engineers and the Health and Safety Executive were among experts being consulted, he added.

He said: "We have definitely identified a significant number of people who we know have got a story to tell but who haven't provided us with a statement or an interview so clearly they are part of the priority, that we make sure that we are going to find these people.

"We have to go through all of the investigation and interview them and if necessary we'll take statements as well, but clearly we have got [to consider] the families, the police officers on the day, the work beforehand in the stadium, the design, the engineering, the changes that were made to the stadium, they're all part of the inquiry.

"The Football Association, why they decided to award the match, the semi-final, to Sheffield Wednesday, and the club, have got a certain responsibility as well so it's a very wide inquiry."

Mr Stoddart said the team was nine months into an inquiry which could take up to three years.

"It's a massive, massive investigation, it's the biggest criminal inquiry in the history of the English and Welsh police services.

"Some people have criticised the pace of the inquiry but we can't afford to rush anything here.

"This is so important. It's so important for the families, we have got to get this right."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-24064118

I hope / prey this is the beginning of Justice being served on those who are responsible and have squirmed away from the charges they deserve to face.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Re: Organisations could face manslaughter charges
      Reply #1: Sep 12, 2013 03:40:33 pm
      Is.  F***ing.  Right
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #2: Sep 12, 2013 03:50:02 pm
      They could, and I hope they will.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #3: Sep 12, 2013 04:38:17 pm
      After the endless, tormenting years of delay for the families there is a glimmer of Justice, and for the guilty liars their exposure draws ever near.
      Bring it on.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,341 posts | 1620 
      Reply #4: Sep 13, 2013 09:02:10 pm
      There will be a lot of people not sleeping so easy for the next couple of years i hope they squirm and suffer every night until the grim reaper knocks on their door ,rip the 96 .
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #5: Sep 15, 2013 12:33:14 am
      I expected this, still it's excellent news. Hopefully all who are culpable are brought to justice, it's the minimum those involved deserve.

JFT96
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #6: Sep 15, 2013 12:17:34 pm
      I can understand any frustrations for the families about the length of time this may take but as Stoddard says it's got to be done thoroughly this time.  How many times previously have things been rushed, albeit in an effort to keep the truth hidden. 

I'm sure the families want to know that this time every investigation, by all the different organisations, covers every eventuality and draws their conclusions from clear, hard facts, rather than supposition, lies, rumours and inuendo.

For the families, survivors, Liverpool Football Club and the fans, getting this right is as big, if not bigger than winning the title.  This is above football, this is about justice for those who suffered and retribution for those who didn't.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #7: Sep 15, 2013 05:45:53 pm
      They could face manslaughter charges. They should face manslaughter charges. But will they? I really, really hope so.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #8: Sep 15, 2013 06:57:30 pm
      They could face manslaughter charges. They should face manslaughter charges. But will they? I really, really hope so.

Just remember it would be corporate manslaughter, and the vast majority of the individuals involved will be dead now.

Those involved at Sheffield City Council, Sheffield Wednesday, and the FA at that time would have been ancient, and I guess they would have died by now.

I suspect the main thing here is the fact that Hillsborough did not have a safety certificate and all groups mentioned knew this and still sanctioned games with capacity gates.

Guilty on this account alone.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #9: Sep 17, 2013 10:05:18 pm
      Apparently there was a press conference today from the IPCC requesting people to come forward to make new/further statements.  It was supposed to have been on the BBC but the live feed went down and Sky didn't even cover it.  Not sure if FLC.tv covered it but I didn't see anything at 5pm.

Links here if anybody's interested in coming forward.

http://www.ipcc.gov.uk/page/hillsborough-witness-appeal

Quick Reply