Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

"We Need To Talk About Gerrard."

Read 150920 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: "We Need To Talk About Gerrard."
      Reply #115: Sep 27, 2013 01:36:33 pm
      Partly why I think he is sitting back more and forcing Lucas a bit out if position.

I think Gerrard is genuinely worried about injuring himself.

I think he's already injured ;D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #116: Sep 27, 2013 03:11:40 pm
      I think he's already injured ;D

Could well be.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #117: Sep 27, 2013 04:14:50 pm
      He really needs to be rested and I dont believe Rodgers is afraid to drop him. Our manager is strong enough to make these decisions. He has surely seen how himself and Lucas are struggling in midfield together. For now I would put Henderson in for Stevie and when Allen is back he should start. We might have to get used to our seeing our captain spend more time on the bench. The plus side of course is having a great impact sub.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #118: Sep 27, 2013 04:27:58 pm
      He really needs to be rested and I dont believe Rodgers is afraid to drop him. Our manager is strong enough to make these decisions.

I remain to be convinced about this.

Afraid to drop him might be the wrong way of putting it but I do feel Brendan likes to have Gerrard as an ally.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #119: Sep 27, 2013 06:37:41 pm
      So one of our few players who can change the game in our favour in an instant isn't deemed an automatic name on the teamsheet. Fair enough if a player is out of form a bit its right that they drop out the team but look at this way, when players like Gerrard drop out of the team everyone's head drops in the team, he is still very much viewed as a leader and the one they all look to when things are not working out. When he was out injured everyone was crying about how we need him back because we were struggling so what difference is it going to make dropping him out the team now? Last season he only missed the last few games and he had a very good season and was part of the team that was probably the best playing team in the league after Christmas and only up until the Saints game the question about him being an automatic name on the team sheet has reared its head again. We have a much better chance with him on the pitch than off it. I hate to use this pr**k as an example but look at Fat Frank, whenever he's out the Chelsea team they look a lot more disjointed and really have to grind a result out and more often than not they lose and its the same with Gerrard, he's a leader on the pitch and we are much more together as a team.

Its not a question of whether or not Gerrard should be starting every week but IMO its more a question of is he being utilised properly by Rodgers? You get a player to play a different role to where they prefer and to what they prefer doing on a pitch and they won't play as well, we see it with Coutinho when he plays out on the left as opposed to when he plays central, we see it with Sturridge if he is playing wider.

Gerrard needs to be given more freedom and more of a license to get forward and get right in on the attacks. I think our defensive vulnerabilities over the last few years has seen Rodgers try and take more of a cautious approach and because of the player Gerrard is and the quality he has, he has been the one who has had to sit more.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #120: Sep 27, 2013 07:40:08 pm
      I remain to be convinced about this.

Afraid to drop him might be the wrong way of putting it but I do feel Brendan likes to have Gerrard as an ally.
      spot on he dare not drop him, he shouldn't be playing every game now and certainly not midweek cup games..He'll be shagged out by Jan
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #121: Sep 27, 2013 07:43:18 pm
      The problem here is that fickle fans on here are demanding that Rodgers is weak for not dropping Gerrard. But I can bet you when he does there will be uproar over the 'disrespect' he has shown to our captain.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #122: Sep 27, 2013 08:05:32 pm
      Gerrard is fine, people forget about how he gets everyone is position, motivates, inspires, drives the team forward and time and again comes up with a pass, goal or big tackle to really sway momentum for us. His defensive work this year has been amazing, tell me the last time you seen someone get past him? You can't. Just because he's not screaming them in from 35 yards and breaking into the box all day doesn't mean that he's not one of the best around. Still the first name on the team sheet, don't be ridiculous and think he should be dropped.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #123: Sep 27, 2013 09:28:49 pm
      Gerrard is fine, people forget about how he gets everyone is position, motivates, inspires, drives the team forward and time and again comes up with a pass, goal or big tackle to really sway momentum for us. His defensive work this year has been amazing, tell me the last time you seen someone get past him? You can't. Just because he's not screaming them in from 35 yards and breaking into the box all day doesn't mean that he's not one of the best around. Still the first name on the team sheet, don't be ridiculous and think he should be dropped.

Big fat F***ing hairy bollocks fanboy.

Rarely have I read such a pile of over the top bullshit.

He does none of that "gets everyone is position, motivates, inspires".
      Carra did, Gerrard doesn't.

He's not at all vocal, and when things aren't going his way, he ambles around with a face like a slapped arse.

An excellent player he may be: a leader of men he is not.

The last time I saw someone go past him?
      Against utd, then before that, against southampton, and before that, against swansea.

For the record, I think he's struggling physically at the moment, and could benefit from a rest, which is not the same as being dropped.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #124: Sep 27, 2013 10:07:49 pm

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao::what a load of Jackson Pollocks

H
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #125: Sep 27, 2013 11:24:02 pm
      The problem here is that fickle fans on here are demanding that Rodgers is weak for not dropping Gerrard. But I can bet you when he does there will be uproar over the 'disrespect' he has shown to our captain.

Not from me and I'm sure many others would say the same.

I want a strong manager who makes the big calls and dropping or resting Gerrard for a game or two is as big as it gets. Especially if he's on the bench whcih proves it's not a decsison because he's injured.

Gerrard is fine, people forget about how he gets everyone is position, motivates, inspires, drives the team forward and time and again comes up with a pass, goal or big tackle to really sway momentum for us.

When is the last time this really happened?

Still the first name on the team sheet, don't be ridiculous and think he should be dropped.

This is part of the problem Mags.

Why is he, or should he, be the first name on the teamsheet?

Because of how well he's played?

Or because he's Steven Gerrard and he used to be something like you describe him?
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,290 posts | 1514 
      Reply #126: Sep 27, 2013 11:46:13 pm
      Jan Molby controlled games with his astute passing. Can't remember him sprinting anywhere other than to be at the front of the queue at the chippy.
       Gerrard would be far more effective for us playing a more advanced roll, thats plain to see, but it doesnt have to be box to box. He's still got enough in his locker to influence games, but not from where Brendan is playing him.
       The miserable look on his face is similar to when Hodgeson was managing. Personally I think its because he doesn't agree with the roll he's got, but just gets on with it for the team.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #127: Sep 27, 2013 11:53:57 pm
      Jan Molby controlled games with his astute passing. Can't remember him sprinting anywhere other than to be at the front of the queue at the chippy.
       Gerrard would be far more effective for us playing a more advanced roll, thats plain to see, but it doesnt have to be box to box. He's still got enough in his locker to influence games, but not from where Brendan is playing him.

I've just had a post about this in the Squad Discussion thread mate.

Possibly a formation that gets Gerrard into a more advanced position.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #128: Sep 28, 2013 10:48:18 am
      So one of our few players who can change the game in our favour in an instant isn't deemed an automatic name on the teamsheet. Fair enough if a player is out of form a bit its right that they drop out the team but look at this way, when players like Gerrard drop out of the team everyone's head drops in the team, he is still very much viewed as a leader and the one they all look to when things are not working out. When he was out injured everyone was crying about how we need him back because we were struggling so what difference is it going to make dropping him out the team now? Last season he only missed the last few games and he had a very good season and was part of the team that was probably the best playing team in the league after Christmas and only up until the Saints game the question about him being an automatic name on the team sheet has reared its head again. We have a much better chance with him on the pitch than off it. I hate to use this pr**k as an example but look at Fat Frank, whenever he's out the Chelsea team they look a lot more disjointed and really have to grind a result out and more often than not they lose and its the same with Gerrard, he's a leader on the pitch and we are much more together as a team.

Its not a question of whether or not Gerrard should be starting every week but IMO its more a question of is he being utilised properly by Rodgers? You get a player to play a different role to where they prefer and to what they prefer doing on a pitch and they won't play as well, we see it with Coutinho when he plays out on the left as opposed to when he plays central, we see it with Sturridge if he is playing wider.

Gerrard needs to be given more freedom and more of a license to get forward and get right in on the attacks. I think our defensive vulnerabilities over the last few years has seen Rodgers try and take more of a cautious approach and because of the player Gerrard is and the quality he has, he has been the one who has had to sit more.

Sorry but its this mentality that is wrong, the thought that Gerrard is untouchable and is still the fantastic game changing player he was 5 years ago. The reality is that more often than not he is a passenger these days but because of the great respect he still garners, deservedly, almost all play still goes through him. The times when Gerrard hasn't played in the last few season I think we've actually looked better and more confident as a team.
      Brendan Rodgers has to be brave here and take a chance. You can still have Stevie as an impact sub but he should not be starting games. He should be used in the same way that Giggs is at Man Utd.
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #129: Sep 28, 2013 03:21:57 pm
      Sorry but its this mentality that is wrong, the thought that Gerrard is untouchable and is still the fantastic game changing player he was 5 years ago. The reality is that more often than not he is a passenger these days but because of the great respect he still garners, deservedly, almost all play still goes through him. The times when Gerrard hasn't played in the last few season I think we've actually looked better and more confident as a team.
      Brendan Rodgers has to be brave here and take a chance. You can still have Stevie as an impact sub but he should not be starting games. He should be used in the same way that Giggs is at Man Utd.

I can't believe you're treating Stevie and Ol' 5o'clock shadow as the same player. What you get from each is hardly one and the same.

By the way Giggs plays in a side where there are several first-teamers who could expect to start in his position. Could the same be said for us? Do we have anybody who offers what Stevie does?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #130: Sep 28, 2013 11:04:29 pm
      Do we have anybody who offers what Stevie does?

Old Stevie of a few years back?

Not even close.

Stevie of the here and now?

We won't know until we try.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,161 posts | 829 
      Reply #131: Sep 28, 2013 11:29:03 pm
      Old Stevie of a few years back?

Not even close.

Stevie of the here and now?

We won't know until we try.

We don't, Allen, Lucas and Henderson don't offer what Gerrard offers

Get him quality players around him and you will see a better Gerrard
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #132: Sep 28, 2013 11:34:44 pm
      I actually don't think Stevie out of the side automatically means an inferior team at the moment. Agree we should try some more combinations; I like the notion of him sitting behind the from two also. That was where he started most of the time in '08-09 when we finished second. Sure he's not Stevie of 4-5 years ago but it would surely be worth a go on account of coutinho being out.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,684 posts | 6690 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #133: Sep 29, 2013 08:48:41 am
      Was thinking about this last night and for all the ones saying drop Gerrard and put Hendo in his place. Seriously  ??? as much energy as Hendo has got, can you honestly see Hendo putting a through ball into the feet of Luis or Daniel? Can you see him whipping balls in to the box or any trickery from him that sets our forwards on their way. I can't, for me Hendo plays it as safe as he possibly can, you won't get any flair out of him and you won't get the tracking back, defending that Stevie does.

Sure Stevie is off form but I'll back him to come good any day over Hendo playing in that role. He's been our Leader and our Inspiration for a long, long time and I'm sure that no one more than Stevie himself knows he hasn't been at his best and he'll be doing everything in his locker to rectify the problems he's having at the moment.

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #134: Sep 29, 2013 09:40:19 pm
      Look at all of the important stats of the midfielders in our league and you'll find Lucas and Stevie right up there with both looking pretty good on interceptions and tackles and Stevie way up on the important passes, etc.

Put that up with the fact that we are 2nd and these two haven't been playing that well it makes me think how many on here are just wanting a F***ing good moan for the sake of moaning or just agreeing with others with out knowing what they're talking about.

Stevie and Lucas can only get better no? And we're not doing too bad now?

Half full and all that.

Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #135: Sep 29, 2013 10:24:49 pm
      Didn't we have this thread last season? I'd direct people back to it and then to the way Gerrard played from there on in.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #136: Sep 29, 2013 10:48:30 pm
      Put that up with the fact that we are 2nd and these two haven't been playing that well it makes me think how many on here are just wanting a f**king good moan for the sake of moaning or just agreeing with others with out knowing what they're talking about.

They haven't been playing that well as you say mate which is why the debate came about in the thread Mick started abd this one started by myself.

The whole point of a discussion forum is to debate such issues and many of us see a problem in the two as far as how well they have blended together this season and how an apparant lack of fitness and mobility has been very obvious against a few teams in the last few weeks.

I don't see it as moaning for the sake of it from Mick, myself or anyone else who's questioned the two together but what I will say is that I'll be delighted to be proven wrong as both are two of my favourite players in the squad.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,684 posts | 6690 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #137: Sep 30, 2013 07:24:20 am
      I don't know any other midfielder in our side that would have put a ball like that onto Sturridges foot to set up Luis. That was F***ing amazing and great control from Daniel.

Quick Reply