Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

"We Need To Talk About Gerrard."

Read 151136 times
      Paisleydalglish
      Re: "We Need To Talk About Gerrard."
      Reply #23: Sep 25, 2013 11:13:57 pm
      Just want to say I think Gerrard is great.  Nothing more needs saying really.

I agree

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #24: Sep 25, 2013 11:14:08 pm
      Just want to say I think Gerrard was great tonight.  Nothing more needs saying really.

now it's fixed :)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #25: Sep 25, 2013 11:16:12 pm

Really mate?

Strange how different we all see games though.
      Paul_LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 256 posts | 10 
      Reply #26: Sep 25, 2013 11:17:29 pm
      Drop Gerrard? Sounds like a desperate answer to me. If anything, Lucas or Henderson should be dropped, they've been equally as sh*t. Lucas hasn't been as good as people say he has, he looks like a spectator at times too. Henderson works his arse off but that's about it. At least when Gerrard gets the ball he has the threat of a long defence-splitting pass. He retains possession the best out of all three of them as well. The reason Gerrard's been poor is because of the lack of quality around him. I feel as if Gerrard has to hold back on his own performance to compensate the poor performers around him, almost as if he's doing the job of two men but he's getting stuck in the middle and doing neither which is making him look sh*t.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #27: Sep 25, 2013 11:17:31 pm
       Thought he had a good game tonight. I thought the whole team played pretty well TBH, even Lucas. 
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #28: Sep 25, 2013 11:19:00 pm
      Funny how this wasn't being mentioned last season when he was right up with the players at the top in terms of number of assists and putting in some really good performances yet less than 10 games into our new season, because we have failed to win our last 3 games it is now being mentioned.

Let's see how many replies this thread gets when we start winning again.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #29: Sep 25, 2013 11:21:35 pm
      At least when Gerrard gets the ball he has the threat of a long defence-splitting pass.

Once or twice a game that I don't think has led to anything this season.

He retains possession the best out of all three of them as well.

He doesn't. Lucas is easily the best of our midfielders at getting the ball and moving it to another Liverpool player. Not as flashy as Gerrard but better.

I feel as if Gerrard has to hold back on his own performance to compensate the poor performers around him, almost as if he's doing the job of two men but he's getting stuck in the middle and doing neither which is making him look sh*t.

I think it's the complete opposite and it's Lucas who is doing the work of two at times, not all the time mind, and then is knackered come 60 mins.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #30: Sep 25, 2013 11:22:04 pm
      Thought he had a good game tonight. I thought the whole team played pretty well TBH, even Lucas. 
      Well done Mick! Finally someone who puts it into perspective, sometimes you can play well and lose!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #31: Sep 25, 2013 11:22:47 pm
      I'd play Lucas as the DM and have Allen in his best position. The one that just happens to be Gerrard's position.

But the manager is playing two DMs so if he ain't playing Gerrard in his better midfield position for the love of how he wants us set up at the moment then why woud he play Allen there?

Don't get what you are trying to say. Just seems that you've started the thread to be a bit sensationalist.

Everybody knows Stevie isn't the player he used to be but he has just had a great year playing where he is now. Now, on the back of two defeats we need to talk about him getting the chop even though he has done aswell as most until Saturday and as bad as others since Saturday.

He shouldn't be 'undroppable' but he shouldn't be dropped just for the sake of dropping Steven Gerrard.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #32: Sep 25, 2013 11:23:33 pm
      Drop Gerrard? Sounds like a desperate answer to me. If anything, Lucas or Henderson should be dropped, they've been equally as sh*t. Lucas hasn't been as good as people say he has, he looks like a spectator at times too. Henderson works his arse off but that's about it. At least when Gerrard gets the ball he has the threat of a long defence-splitting pass. He retains possession the best out of all three of them as well. The reason Gerrard's been poor is because of the lack of quality around him. I feel as if Gerrard has to hold back on his own performance to compensate the poor performers around him, almost as if he's doing the job of two men but he's getting stuck in the middle and doing neither which is making him look sh*t.

Probably the single worst post I have seen on this forum. Probably from somebody used to 1970's English football.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #33: Sep 25, 2013 11:24:02 pm
      I'd continue with or 3 at the back and hope we can address the midfield in January.

That or adapt a defender to DM.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #34: Sep 25, 2013 11:25:45 pm
      I'd continue with or 3 at the back and hope we can address the midfield in January.

That or adapt a defender to DM.

I can't even see DangerMouse helping our midfield Race

Far more than that needed
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #35: Sep 25, 2013 11:28:33 pm

Penfold?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #36: Sep 25, 2013 11:28:48 pm

Nice.

I'd try Toure or Dagger in midfield.
      That or 3 at the back with Agger forward.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #37: Sep 25, 2013 11:30:09 pm
       How can we sensibly compare Lucas "pass success" rates with Gerrards without at least considering the difficulty of the passes they attempt? If ever there was a ludicrous use of stats, it's there.

Seriously, if you said to any fan of any other club that after tonights performance you were considering dropping Gerrard in favour of Lucas/Allen/Moses (I'm not kidding, someone said Moses) they would think you were completely off your rocker. They'd be right too.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #38: Sep 25, 2013 11:30:39 pm
      But the manager is playing two DMs so if he ain't playing Gerrard in his better midfield position for the love of how he wants us set up at the moment then why woud he play Allen there?

I think, and I may well be wrong, that it is still supposed to be a more staggered two, if you like, than it appears. Just that Stevie is more inclined to move back deeper these days which moves him more into Lucas more natural position.

Don't get what you are trying to say. Just seems that you've started the thread to be a bit sensationalist.

Far from it but as I, and a few others, have said, I don't see why one player is singled out as the 'problem' when it couls just as easily be the other or even both. Much easier to pick out his partner though and I could have said nothing and left it. Just thought it was a debate worth having properly no matter what way people view the issue.

Everybody knows Stevie isn't the player he used to be but he has just had a great year playing where he is now. Now, on the back of two defeats we need to talk about him getting the chop even though he has done aswell as most until Saturday and as bad as others since Saturday.

I'm not saying that he definitely has to be dropped or is definitely the problem but there is 100% an issue with our midfield tow and it is a big factor in our second half peformances in partiuclar. Now I have said that out of the two personally I'd try Gerrard out of the side , or even in a different position, for at least one game to see if that solves it as I see Lucas as the best DM we have and we have to build from there and get what works.

He shouldn't be 'undroppable' but he shouldn't be dropped just for the sake of dropping Steven Gerrard.

I never said this either mate but it's much more easy to keep in him because he's Steven Gerrard than have the courage to leave him out.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #39: Sep 25, 2013 11:30:41 pm
      Nice.

I'd try Toure or Dagger in midfield.
      That or 3 at the back with Agger forward.

Thought that for a while mate, think Dagger would make an outstanding Defensive midfielder.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #40: Sep 25, 2013 11:31:31 pm
      How can we sensibly compare Lucas "pass success" rates with Gerrards without at least considering the difficulty of the passes they attempt? If ever there was a ludicrous use of stats, it's there.

Seriously, if you said to any fan of any other club that after tonights performance you were considering dropping Gerrard in favour of Lucas/Allen/Moses (I'm not kidding, someone said Moses) they would think you were completely off your rocker. They'd be right too.

Moses?

Get the F**k.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #41: Sep 25, 2013 11:36:56 pm
      Thought that for a while mate, think Dagger would make an outstanding Defensive midfielder.

I think Agger may be a bit too one footed for the role mate. Watch him when he makes runs forward and the number of times he has to run into trouble because he can't get a pass off with his right foot.

Worth a try though.... at this stage anything seems worth a go.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #42: Sep 25, 2013 11:37:46 pm
      All's I'm saying is that our midfield looked fine last season for the large part.

I don't think our second half performances are down to the midfield but more to how we are all of a sudden playing deeper. Keep playing as we are, whilst putting round pegs in square holes and we'll continue to get overrun.

Its no coincidence that our inability to get the ball up the pitch and the fact that there is even more pressure on Lucas and Gerrard has stemmed since Johnno has been out of the team.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #43: Sep 25, 2013 11:40:23 pm
      All's I'm saying is that our midfield looked fine last season for the large part.

It did but last season has been and gone. I think the blend with the two isn't quite right at this point and is showing as the season has went on even at this early stage.

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #44: Sep 25, 2013 11:44:03 pm
      It did but last season has been and gone. I think the blend with the two isn't quite right at this point and is showing as the season has went on even at this early stage.

Probably because we are playing differently now. I'm more worried that our manager isn't getting the best out of the players he has at his disposal.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #45: Sep 25, 2013 11:47:12 pm
      Probably because we are playing differently now. I'm more worried that our manager isn't getting the best out of the players he has at his disposal.

I am as well and that is another debate.

Quick Reply