Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

"We Need To Talk About Gerrard."

Read 150186 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Re: "We Need To Talk About Gerrard."
      Reply #46: Sep 25, 2013 11:49:16 pm
      I am as well and that is another debate.

Its not really as I think Gerrard is wasted where he is.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #47: Sep 25, 2013 11:52:23 pm
      Its not really as I think Gerrard is wasted where he is.

Fair enough and you could well be correct mate.

Do you think he can still be as influential further forward?

Do you think the manager will ever play him further forward?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #48: Sep 25, 2013 11:55:31 pm
      Fair enough and you could well be correct mate.

Do you think he can still be as influential further forward?

Do you think the manager will ever play him further forward?

I'm surprised 3 at the back didn't give Gerrard more licence to roam forward.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #49: Sep 25, 2013 11:57:51 pm
      I'm surprised 3 at the back didn't give Gerrard more licence to roam forward.

It should have done Racer but from what I seen Lucas was getting foward more and made a couple of pressing interceptions on their centre backs.

If Stevie wants to be the sitting player in front of the back four and the manager thinks he's the one he can't drop then we can't play Lucas with him.

Simple as that.
      Paul_LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 256 posts | 10 
      Reply #50: Sep 26, 2013 12:13:39 am
      Probably the single worst post I have seen on this forum. Probably from somebody used to 1970's English football.

Why is it? What's your point? I think Gerrard's getting unfair criticism, he's still our best midfielder by a country F***ing mile. If he was dropped for one game and we lost, then everyone would be shouting for him to be the first name on the team sheet again. The team are collectively playing sh*t as a unit and Gerrard, the captain and heartbeat of this club for the past decade may I add, to be suggested as the player to drop out is pathetic. I can guarantee we'd be worse off without Gerrard than with him, dropping Stevie wouldn't solve anything and no player could come in and do a better job tbh. I think Henderson needs to contribute more going forward, he should be the one being dropped IMO.

To add to that, Gerrard does need to pick his game up though, I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement. I just don't see how we'd be better off by dropping the captain.
      Dancho
      • Forum David Johnson

• 231 posts |
      Reply #51: Sep 26, 2013 12:16:23 am
      On his worst day, he is still class, while Hendo for instance is so poor on his best. I see no point in the discussion really. Gerrard is getting all this criticism because of the world class standard that he has built for himself.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #52: Sep 26, 2013 12:21:31 am
      Gerrard, the captain and heartbeat of this club for the past decade may I add, to be suggested as the player to drop out is pathetic.

Posing a question for debate isn't pathetic.

But just so I get it right your saying that just because Gerrard is 'the captain and heartbeat of this club for the past decade' we should ignore form up to now and really any form, or lack of, in the future just because he is Steven Gerrard?

I would consider that foolish.

I can guarantee we'd be worse off without Gerrard than with him, dropping Stevie wouldn't solve anything and no player could come in and do a better job tbh.

No idea how you can possibly gurantee this but I'm open to being convinced.

To add to that, Gerrard does need to pick his game up though, I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement. I just don't see how we'd be better off by dropping the captain.

Fair enough but if his form doesn't improve, it obviously has to according to your own quotes, then what do we do?

Do we still play him because of who he is and what he's done?

Or does he then become the one to drop out and it isn't then 'pathetic'?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #53: Sep 26, 2013 12:21:48 am
      I don't know why he's "undroppable"....Carragher got dropped last year and had it not been for Skrtel's horrendous form, likely Jaimie wouldn't have gotten back in the lineup. I'm glad he did, he gave himself a good sendoff to the season, but I think Gerrard could do with some time on the bench to "rest". Maybe it would do him good to watch the games from the sidelines to see exactly where best he can slot back in to help the club and maximize his talents the most.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #54: Sep 26, 2013 12:22:56 am
      Maybe it would do him good to watch the games from the sidelines to see exactly where best he can slot back in to help the club and maximize his talents the most.

I agree but it should be the manager who decides where he slots in best not the player.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #55: Sep 26, 2013 12:24:32 am
      I agree but it should be the manager who decides where he slots in best not the player.

Yep, I guess I was thinking more along the lines of "selling" it to him by having him understand where he's needed the most (which may not be where he currently is playing).

While no player is bigger than the club, Stevie is pretty darn close as a legend so I'd be willing to give him a little leeway in that respect.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #56: Sep 26, 2013 12:25:14 am
      Yep, I guess I was thinking more along the lines of "selling" it to him by having him understand where he's needed the most (which may not be where he currently is playing).

It shouldn't need 'selling' but I do get your point.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #57: Sep 26, 2013 12:25:53 am
      I just want Joe Allen to be given a run of games next to Lucas and have Gerrard at the top of the 3 Midfield positions.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #58: Sep 26, 2013 12:27:42 am
      I just want Joe Allen to be given a run of games next to Lucas and have Gerrard at the top of the 3 Midfield positions.

A definite possible solution Lester.

And Gerrard is much more suited to that role than Moses was tonight.

But I really don't see it happening as Gerrard plays deep in midfield under Brendan and that's that.
      Paul_LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 256 posts | 10 
      Reply #59: Sep 26, 2013 12:45:45 am
      Posing a question for debate isn't pathetic.

But just so I get it right your saying that just because Gerrard is 'the captain and heartbeat of this club for the past decade' we should ignore form up to now and really any form, or lack of, in the future just because he is Steven Gerrard?

I would consider that foolish.

No idea how you can possibly gurantee this but I'm open to being convinced.

Fair enough but if his form doesn't improve, it obviously has to according to your own quotes, then what do we do?

Do we still play him because of who he is and what he's done?

Or does he then become the one to drop out and it isn't then 'pathetic'?

I'm not ignoring his form, I just don't see why it should be Gerrard who needs to drop out. He hasn't been great, but Lucas and Henderson have been no better. I still think Gerrard's more important to how we play than both of them players too. And yes, he's the captain of the team which should mean something. He shouldn't be dropped over two players that have been equally as sh*t. Simple.

If you think we'd be better off by dropping Gerrard for Allen for instance, then you need your head testing. What Allen would offer that Gerrard doesn't is beyond me. However I understand dropping Gerrard could maybe buck his ideas up, he could raise his game if he realised his position was under threat. I just don't think Gerrard should be the one dropping out at this moment in time.

I think the manager has a big part to blame though. He should grow some bollocks and tell his team that they haven't been good enough the past three games instead of coming out after every game praising his players. Weak man management that is, Brendan needs to learn fast about constructive criticism to get the best out of an underperforming bunch of players. That's another debate though.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #60: Sep 26, 2013 02:44:15 am
      Gerrard's been pretty poor this season but what can we do? He has to play, we have no other quality players who can play in his position. Joe Allen hasn't even proved himself to say he deserves that position and Henderson could do a job in central midfield, but he's being played on the right at the moment.

Gerrard probably should be dropped, or rested in other words if we had another quality midfielder to choose from. We don't have that luxury so we have to keep playing Gerrard.

I think Lucas has been better than Gerrard this season. Even though Lucas has been poor too.

Our lack of central midfield options was mentioned all throughout the summer though. We all knew we needed a central midfielder (or two).

Also, I think Gerrard will come good soon.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #61: Sep 26, 2013 03:21:08 am
      What do we do to drop him? Leave Lucas on his own in the deeper position in midfield and bring in Allen to play his preferred role in a more advanced role?

It pains me to say this about Gerrard, but he can't carry on like this.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #62: Sep 26, 2013 03:44:21 am
      I genuinely thought he was decent last night?
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,627 posts | 128 
      Reply #63: Sep 26, 2013 05:58:55 am
      Gerrard's been pretty poor this season but what can we do? He has to play, we have no other quality players who can play in his position. Joe Allen hasn't even proved himself to say he deserves that position and Henderson could do a job in central midfield, but he's being played on the right at the moment.

Gerrard probably should be dropped, or rested in other words if we had another quality midfielder to choose from. We don't have that luxury so we have to keep playing Gerrard.

I think Lucas has been better than Gerrard this season. Even though Lucas has been poor too.

Our lack of central midfield options was mentioned all throughout the summer though. We all knew we needed a central midfielder (or two).

Also, I think Gerrard will come good soon.

Spot on! With our current squad Gerrard is more or less the only option for a "decent" midfield. Gerrard is not that 25,26 midfielder who is able to burst all over the pitch for the whole 90 minuts. However Steven Gerrard has other abilities Henderson, Allen and Lucas dosen't have. Gerrard has great vison and is able to pass the ball very well. Furthermore he can slow down the game when it is necessary. 

But the most important thing is just his presence on the pitch, we shouldn't underestimate this fact. My solotion would that we give Steven Gerrard a rest after a couple of games.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #64: Sep 26, 2013 09:59:37 am
      Well over used & needs a break, problem we have we can't replace him with better.

I would shift Hendo in the middle with Lucas & drop Stevie in the 10 role,Danny up front with Suarez & Coutinho on wings.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #65: Sep 26, 2013 10:06:29 am
      Joe Allen is not the answer - unless the question is "Who is the worst buy (so far) of Rodgers reign as Liverpool Manager"

He can only seem to pass the ball sideways, and less than 10 yards. Other than that, about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #66: Sep 26, 2013 10:07:56 am
      My problem is that we can't really carry on with Stevie and Lucas together as it stands so for me long term it's one or the other if BR wants to play like he does. The biggest issue is the lack of strength in depth, it's allright talking about Jan but they should have though about it in the summer.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #67: Sep 26, 2013 10:25:19 am
      Stevie should be further forward chipping in with goals. If we want a midfield that holds the ball and works it forward, Stevie isn't it.
      He can still get goals and assists. I think at moment we would be better off with Lucas and Henderson in the middle but I really think we need a better option than Henderson for bringing the ball forward. Stevie can play with Coutinho, Suarez and Sturridge in the 3 1
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #68: Sep 26, 2013 10:26:48 am
      Well over used & needs a break, problem we have we can't replace him with better.

I would shift Hendo in the middle with Lucas & drop Stevie in the 10 role,Danny up front with Suarez & Coutinho on wings.
      Thats what I think but we need Henderson to be smarter with the ball and he may not be that player.

Quick Reply