Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

"We Need To Talk About Gerrard."

Read 151137 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: "We Need To Talk About Gerrard."
      Reply #805: Apr 14, 2014 01:32:38 pm
      I've noticed something new about Steven Gerrard recently, not sure when the change happened, if it was a gradual one or just suddenly started but whatever it is, I like it.

The first thing is he seems more confident not just on the pitch but off it too.  His interviews are usually quite reserved, always respectful and professional, following party lines if you like but he seems more open, affable and he's lost that anxious look he sometimes has.

The main thing I've noticed though is when he's talking about the young players.  He's always praised them when they've played well but there's always been an air of caution about his praise.  Don't let them get above themselves, don't over do it, always keep their feet on the ground, let them know there's still a lot of work to be done.  Now though he can't praise them enough.

He also seems more vocal on the pitch, he's really come into his role as Captain but not in the old gung ho way but in a calm, commanding way.

We've talked a lot about how Brendan has changed the mentality throughout the team/squad and praised his coaching of the younger players to get them performing like they are but the change in Stevies demeanor has been the biggest surprise.

100%.

His positioning and vision are exceptional. Sometimes you don't even notice he's on the pitch, in a good way. He just gets everything ticking and then all of a sudden hits a 40 yarder on a six-pence and we score. Then you sit back and pick your jaw from the floor.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #806: Apr 14, 2014 01:36:44 pm
      100%.

His positioning and vision are exceptional. Sometimes you don't even notice he's on the pitch, in a good way. He just gets everything ticking and then all of a sudden hits a 40 yarder on a six-pence and we score. Then you sit back and pick your jaw from the floor.

Absolutely mate.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #807: Apr 14, 2014 02:18:26 pm
      Some think he's playing the best football of his career right now.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/287619/analysis
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,191 posts | 1274 
      Reply #808: Apr 14, 2014 02:35:21 pm
      I've noticed something new about Steven Gerrard recently, not sure when the change happened, if it was a gradual one or just suddenly started but whatever it is, I like it.

The first thing is he seems more confident not just on the pitch but off it too.  His interviews are usually quite reserved, always respectful and professional, following party lines if you like but he seems more open, affable and he's lost that anxious look he sometimes has.

The main thing I've noticed though is when he's talking about the young players.  He's always praised them when they've played well but there's always been an air of caution about his praise.  Don't let them get above themselves, don't over do it, always keep their feet on the ground, let them know there's still a lot of work to be done.  Now though he can't praise them enough.

He also seems more vocal on the pitch, he's really come into his role as Captain but not in the old gung ho way but in a calm, commanding way.

We've talked a lot about how Brendan has changed the mentality throughout the team/squad and praised his coaching of the younger players to get them performing like they are but the change in Stevies demeanor has been the biggest surprise.

Credit for this might go to Rodgers - he's encouraged all the players to speak up and let their voices be heard in the dressing room. Even the likes of young Flanagan were motivating the team with some words before Everton. The mentality of the squad has never been stronger.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #809: Apr 14, 2014 02:46:43 pm

A stat in the article shows his passing % is at the highest of his career.

And it's not like he's just rolling it across the back. These are constant cross field passes and through balls.

He's beyond words. Whatever I say to describe him is an injustice.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #810: Apr 14, 2014 02:53:44 pm
      Credit for this might go to Rodgers - he's encouraged all the players to speak up and let their voices be heard in the dressing room. Even the likes of young Flanagan were motivating the team with some words before Everton. The mentality of the squad has never been stronger.

I think it's more than just the mentality even though that's a big part of it.  It's the confidence and freedom to express themselves, they're playing without fear.

I know Brendan mentions it all the time but it was interesting listening to the Carra interview on Sky last week.  He talked about the fear of making mistakes, the fear of losing which in itself is a great quality to have as it pushes you to be better but it can psychologically restrict you.

I know Stevie is renowned for his long range passing, it's phenomenal but we're seeing more of the team trying it and succeeding.  I'm not saying they'll ever be as good at it as Stevie but they aren't afraid to try and that's an amazing thing to see.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1029 
      Reply #811: Apr 14, 2014 04:38:45 pm
      Most noticeably with Hendo. He always seemed reluctant to pass the ball more than a few feet from where he was standing (usually to Gerrard).

Now, particularly during the second half of this season, I've seen him attempt more ambitious and useful passes. Granted he doesn't always pull them off but it doesn't stop him from trying. There was one pass he made yesterday that was sublime, the ball was still bouncing and he switches it about 40 yards to Johnson (?), even my bro (who is a manc) appreciated it.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #812: Apr 14, 2014 04:43:48 pm
      Most noticeably with Hendo. He always seemed reluctant to pass the ball more than a few feet from where he was standing (usually to Gerrard).

Now, particularly during the second half of this season, I've seen him attempt more ambitious and useful passes. Granted he doesn't always pull them off but it doesn't stop him from trying. There was one pass he made yesterday that was sublime, the ball was still bouncing and he switches it about 40 yards to Johnson (?), even my bro (who is a manc) appreciated it.

I was going to mention Hendo mate but I've seen Flanno, Glen even Skrtel doing it too this season.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #813: Apr 14, 2014 05:51:38 pm
      He's playing the best football I've seen him play since 2005-2006.
      I genuinely thought he was getting to the stage that he knew he'd
      never win the league, couldn't see us improving and was winding down.

This season Rodgers has breathed live back into him.
      He's been immense, once he's learnt the new role.
      So credit to Rodgers and Gerrard himself.
      He wants this, more than anything in his life he F***ing wants this.

Four games left.
      Stevie can taste it.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #814: Apr 14, 2014 05:54:32 pm
      He's playing the best football I've seen him play since 2005-2006.
      I genuinely thought he was getting to the stage that he knew he'd
      never win the league, couldn't see us improving and was winding down.

This season Rodgers has breathed live back into him.
      He's been immense, once he's learnt the new role.
      So credit to Rodgers and Gerrard himself.
      He wants this, more than anything in his life he F***ing wants this.

Four games left.
      Stevie can taste it.

It's why I have him as our most important player in the run in mate.

I think Stevie can taste it and I think he simply won't allow himself to let it slip and this in turn will get the others to increase their own levels as well as to a man they all respect Gerrard and will want to win it for him as much as themselves.

He's been fantastic and I simply didn't see this level of performance coming earlier in the season and not for such a sustained amount of games either.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #815: Apr 14, 2014 05:58:52 pm
      It's why I have him as our most important player in the run in mate.

I think Stevie can taste it and I think he simply won't allow himself to let it slip and this in turn will get the others to increase their own levels as well as to a man they all respect Gerrard and will want to win it for him as much as themselves.

He's been fantastic and I simply didn't see this level of performance coming earlier in the season and not for such a sustained amount of games either.

I think the win at City put it firmly in the players hands
      and my god they F***ing know it.

He might not admit it live on TV, but deep down they
      know this is a massive opportunity.

Focus on the next game.

My nerves will be F***ing gone by the end of this season.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #816: Apr 14, 2014 06:07:17 pm
      some say he needs to win a title to be considered a great. What a load of bollox. The lad has dragged this club along for a decade he even won the CL with Jimmy Traeore and Igor Biscan.
      I believed he was still worthy of being first on the team sheet but I was concerned about his new position because of his instinctive way of playing.
      I saw enough yesterday when he still was able to get from box to box to know he will still be with us for a few more years at least.
      It was the most emotional I have ever seen him and his team talk at the end was inspirational.
      Nobody deserves a EPL medal more than Stevie but he will earn it and has earned for 14 years hard work
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #817: Apr 14, 2014 06:39:12 pm
      I wonder how long Stevie could go on for?

Perhaps he's looked at how Gary McAllister and Lothar Mattheus kept going til was it 38(?) and THIRTY NINE respectively.

One thing thats helped is that he's had an easier balance around him. Lots of pace infront. Henderson playing better and moving round the pitch. The defence looking more settled. And perhaps most importantly, he hasn't had the niggling draining injuries of previous years. Ofcourse, less fixtures has helped too.

I think, too often in the past, Gerrard was played when he should have been recuperating. Which led to a vicious circle of tiredness and niggling strains etc. I think Gerrard's footballing brain is still maturing, which is very good to see. He really looks a different player to the one we'd seen a while back.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #818: Apr 14, 2014 07:35:36 pm
      I think the win at City put it firmly in the players hands
      and my god they f**king know it.

He might not admit it live on TV, but deep down they
      know this is a massive opportunity.

Focus on the next game.

My nerves will be f**king gone by the end of this season.

They won't let it slip on TV how much it means, but it was for all to see when you saw his emotions at the end. He knows he has one hand on that title, and it's just the other hand he needs to get on it now with these last four.

I love this thread. It's gone from "he's done" to "he's the key" and just a pure love-in. Brilliant.

His emotions at the end of the match were just a blubber-fest for me. My entire time as a Liverpool fan has mirrored his career, starting out as youthful with all in front of me. Winning the CL was fantastic and so emotional, but still young and with "so much time for more" - now? He knows this is a great chance that he thought, and I believe he'd accepted, had passed him by. I had accepted two years ago that Gerrard will never have a chance at the title. Of course, I always hope - but we all know we were so far behind the pack that it would take a miracle to get there in the next few seasons.

Now we have a shot. It's in our hands. Gerrard I think finally had his moment of "F**k me lads, its ours if we want it AND we have the ability to do it." The speech at the end with "Don't let it F***ing slip" was him imploring his realization on the lads. It's no longer "we're in the race" it's "we lead the race" and Gerrard knows now more than ever how important it is.

I love this man. So F***ing much. Lets go and get it, Stevie.
      harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #819: Apr 14, 2014 07:47:40 pm
      A stat in the article shows his passing % is at the highest of his career.

And it's not like he's just rolling it across the back. These are constant cross field passes and through balls.

He's beyond words. Whatever I say to describe him is an injustice.

This was the pass of the season for me:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvOQZbSoPPI&noredirect=1
      LFCexiled
      Reply #820: Apr 14, 2014 08:15:42 pm
      Steven Gerrard's Top Five Premier League Passing Averages (since 2008)

Season   Passing Accuracy (%)
      2013/14   86.1
      2012/13   85.5
      2011/12   83.2
      2010/11   80.4
      2008/09   80.5

« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2014 08:26:33 pm by LFCexiled »
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,153 posts | 1284 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #821: Apr 15, 2014 01:34:26 am
      Steven Gerrard's Top Five Premier League Passing Averages (since 2008)

Season   Passing Accuracy (%)
      2013/14   86.1
      2012/13   85.5
      2011/12   83.2
      2010/11   80.4
      2008/09   80.5

Those stats are all the more astonishing when you consider the complexity of his passing range. He is more accurate with 40 yard passes than most players are with 5 yard passes. He is still the best all round central midfielder in the League, that's not being biased either, even mates of mine who support other teams are just in awe of him. There isn't a supporter or manager in the land who wouldn't want Stevie in their side and that includes Mourinho, Wenger and Pelligrini.

As much as i miss Alonso, Gerrard dropping back has given us that platform that Alonso used to give us.

You could put Stevie anywhere on that pitch and he'd be the best player out there.

In this position he's got five years left, that's five years to teach Hendo the ropes and any other new additions that we get in the Summer or future.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #822: Apr 15, 2014 01:40:16 am
      Whenever he does eventually retire - which I hope isn't anytime soon - it'd be great if we could add him to the backroom staff as one of the main first team coaches. Fingers crossed having Champions League football doesn't affect us too much and we continue to improve, that way Brendan could still be in charge when he retires.

1 step at a time though. Think we need to appreciate him even more - if that's even possible - while we still have him in his prime.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #823: Jul 20, 2014 09:40:26 am
      Great servant to the club, but he looked horribly exposed in a two man midfield at the WC. Jordan had to carry him in both games. I'm hoping we can somehow continue to get the best out of him without hurting other areas of the team. Our defence was pretty shoddy last season and he didn't do a great job in protecting that back four. At 34 he is not getting any younger and I'd be tempted to ease him out of the team gently. I'll be interesting to see how he can now handle two big games a week.

Cannot believe Can is his replacement. He will not be at the required standard for a top top club for at least another two or three years. Shame we don't go in for Vidal.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #824: Jul 20, 2014 09:44:13 am
      Great servant to the club, but he looked horribly exposed in a two man midfield at the WC. Jordan had to carry him in both games. I'm hoping we can somehow continue to get the best out of him without hurting other areas of the team. Our defence was pretty shoddy last season and he didn't do a great job in protecting that back four. At 34 he is not getting any younger and I'd be tempted to ease him out of the team gently. I'll be interesting to see how he can now handle two big games a week.

Cannot believe Can is his replacement. He will not be at the required standard for a top top club for at least another two or three years. Shame we don't go in for Vidal.

Two words. Roy Hodgson.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #825: Jul 20, 2014 09:46:25 am
      Great servant to the club, but he looked horribly exposed in a two man midfield at the WC. Jordan had to carry him in both games.

Cannot believe Can is his replacement.

1, You can't and shouldn't judge Stevie based on a team running under the management of an owl.

2, You haven't even seen Can play yet.

Trust in BR as regards Stevie, he'll manage his fitness and control which games he's essential for.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #826: Jul 20, 2014 10:06:38 am
      Sorry guys, I know Woy isn't a tactical genius and Stevies performances shouldn't be judged on those two games alone but if something showed up, it was his age. His legs have gone. BR just does an incredible job to hide it. I'm wondering how he'll do against some of the big European teams out there. IMO we need a Mascherano type player here.
      Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #827: Jul 20, 2014 11:08:13 am
      I'd throw a big chunk of the Suarez money at Paul Pogba and see of Juve are willing to sell, he would be the mainstay of our midfield for the next 10 years. Not the same player as Gerrard but if we're talking about players who could step in and make a big impact for many years he is for me head and shoulders above the rest. I'd actually throw 50 (even 60) mill on the table to make it happen.

Quick Reply