Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

"We Need To Talk About Gerrard."

Read 151127 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: "We Need To Talk About Gerrard."
      Reply #851: Jul 21, 2014 03:15:13 pm
      Brilliant news. According to the BBC Gerrard has quit international duty.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #852: Jul 21, 2014 03:16:20 pm
      Good decision, owes England nothing more.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #853: Jul 21, 2014 03:17:54 pm
      time for JT to make a comeback then.Well done Stevie the correct decision made for the right reasons.
      Bubonic
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 634 posts | 25 
      Reply #854: Jul 21, 2014 03:24:57 pm
      Great news for Liverpool
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,531 posts | 1769 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #855: Jul 21, 2014 03:52:41 pm
      Brilliant news SG retiring !
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #856: Jul 21, 2014 04:19:57 pm
      Defrost the right decision Stevie lad, has down his stint for the national side and with Hodgson in charge there really was no point in continuing on to yet another disappointing finals in two years time. Great to know he will be Abel to get soem rest and recuperation every time the internationals kick in next season. Great news for LFC
      Redangel

• 8,313 posts | 1006 
      Reply #857: Jul 21, 2014 04:52:12 pm
      Although I think this is the right decision, both for Stevie and Liverpool FC, I am sure that it was a heart wrenching decision and I do feel for him. Whatever we think, he took enormous pride in playing for and leading his Country.
      One thing is for sure they'll miss him, they'll have to put up with 'err, err, err'.
      One more reason not to give a toss about the National Team!
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #858: Aug 08, 2014 11:51:27 am
      Big season coming up for Stevie G.

Wonder if there will be many "lovely cushioned headed, for GERRAAAARD!" moments this season.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #859: Aug 08, 2014 12:26:39 pm
      Big season coming up for Stevie G.

Wonder if there will be many "lovely cushioned headed, for GERRAAAARD!" moments this season.

I doubt it.
      As I've said before, injuries have taken their toll, and he no longer drives through the ball as he used to.
      He even passes it differently.
      He uses the side of his foot these days instead of really leathering it with the laces if you see what I mean.
      I think it was the infections he got rather than the injuries themselves which forced this change.
      His adductors can't take the strain of really putting his foot through it.
      I think the days of Gerrard hammering a shot from 30 yards with both feet off the ground when following through are gone it's sad to say.

We'll see less of this:

Fantastic technique, and just look at the extension.
      I believe the problem is when he has hit the shot and is following through. It is placing massive strain on his adductor, which is where he had a bad injury and subsequent infection. (he also lost some tissue on this and another occasion when he got post operative infections)

and more of this:

Here you can see how he has modified his shooting, and hits it less hard and more with the side of his foot.

We'll see him belt it on the odd occasion, but those times will become increasingly rare, as has already happened.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,916 posts | 820 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #860: Aug 08, 2014 12:29:08 pm
      Didn't he score a screamer against city a season or two ago?

I think he has it in him, just needs to take the chance when it comes.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #861: Aug 08, 2014 12:33:03 pm
      Didn't he score a screamer against city a season or two ago?

I think he has it in him, just needs to take the chance when it comes.

Of course he has it in him.
      Sometimes instinct takes over, and he hits it how he wants to, but watch him grimace afterwards.

We know he played with pain killing injections last season and has done before, but he will do less and less of hitting the ball how he really wants to.
      I feel for him, because I suspect he sees exactly how he wants to hit it, but holds back.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,916 posts | 820 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #862: Aug 08, 2014 12:38:49 pm
      Of course he has it in him.
      Sometimes instinct takes over, and he hits it how he wants to, but watch him grimace afterwards.

We know he played with pain killing injections last season and has done before, but he will do less and less of hitting the ball how he really wants to.
      I feel for him, because I suspect he sees exactly how he wants to hit it, but holds back.

Yeah, at times his shots weren't what id expected them to be once he'd hit them nor what he'd of expected either.

I reckon he will get one or two though.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #863: Aug 08, 2014 12:46:53 pm
      Yeah, at times his shots weren't what id expected them to be once he'd hit them nor what he'd of expected either.

I reckon he will get one or two though.

I think precision rather than power these days.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #864: Aug 15, 2014 05:59:43 pm
      I was just watching the slip from Gerrard against Chelsea and oh dear! it was worse than I thought and I don't know if other people picked up on it. I wondered why Johnson passed it to him with a player making a run forward. If you look at the exact time Johnson passes it there is a pass to Coutinho available that would have cut out 3 players immediatly. I can only think Johnson didn't see it or Gerrard asked for it... I am thinking Gerrard asked for it since he looked like he was moving close to Johnson. Gerrard should have caught the ball with his right foot but he actually moves his foot to do some kind of turn on the ball and gets no control on it whatsoever. All he had to do was not move his foot... once he realizes his error he quickly tries to sprit for the ball and falls over. At the end of the day it was messing about with the ball at the back whilst they was a great oppurtunity for Johnson to pick out a key pass that could have led to a goal at the other end.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #865: Aug 15, 2014 06:05:43 pm
      I was just watching the slip from Gerrard against Chelsea and oh dear! it was worse than I thought and I don't know if other people picked up on it. I wondered why Johnson passed it to him with a player making a run forward. If you look at the exact time Johnson passes it there is a pass to Coutinho available that would have cut out 3 players immediatly. I can only think Johnson didn't see it or Gerrard asked for it... I am thinking Gerrard asked for it since he looked like he was moving close to Johnson. Gerrard should have caught the ball with his right foot but he actually moves his foot to do some kind of turn on the ball and gets no control on it whatsoever. All he had to do was not move his foot... once he realizes his error he quickly tries to sprit for the ball and falls over. At the end of the day it was messing about with the ball at the back whilst they was a great oppurtunity for Johnson to pick out a key pass that could have led to a goal at the other end.

What exactly is your point?
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #866: Aug 15, 2014 06:07:39 pm
      I only noticed the slip before, I didn't see that Gerrard failed to collect a pass then fell over whilst trying to correct his first mistake.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #867: Aug 15, 2014 06:09:08 pm
      I only noticed the slip before, I didn't see that Gerrard failed to collect a pass then fell over whilst trying to correct his first mistake.

that is so last season
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #868: Aug 15, 2014 06:23:11 pm
      It was Sakho who passed it to him, not Glen...
      Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #869: Aug 15, 2014 07:12:01 pm

Yep, lets not only relive it but relive it incorrectly!

Roll on to tomorrow and hopefully another season of this thread being full of people making comments Only to look really stooopid a week or two later!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #870: Aug 15, 2014 07:16:44 pm
      Yep, lets not only relive it but relive it incorrectly!

Roll on to tomorrow and hopefully another season of this thread being full of people making comments Only to look really stooopid a week or two later!

Cheers Scott. ;D
      harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #871: Aug 15, 2014 08:00:07 pm

Thank you.... 

for reminding me why I have you on ignore :)
      Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #872: Aug 15, 2014 08:24:19 pm

Sorry Si, not aimed at you specifically but if da shoe fits............ :P  ;D
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #873: Aug 15, 2014 08:34:15 pm
      Thank you.... 

for reminding me why I have you on ignore :)

He is a tool but it doesn't seem worth the F***ing about putting him on blank.
      You would need reminding.

Quick Reply