Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Corners!!!

Read 12594 times
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Corners!!!
      Sep 26, 2013 03:48:54 am
      WHY ARE WE SO sh*t AT DEFENDING THEM???

I watched the game in a pub with one of my United mates and I predicted correctly before the game that if we were to concede a goal in the game it would be from a corner because for as long as I remember, we have looked atrociously bad at defending them.

That was a game there for us to win. United had lost 4-1 to City and we could have put them in further sh*t but for the second game in a row we have conceded a stupid corner and failed to score ourselves.  :f_steam: :f_steam: :f_steam: :f_steam: :mad: :mad: :mad:
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Re: Corners!!!
      Reply #1: Sep 26, 2013 04:41:17 am
      Don't forget being shocking at scoring from them!
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #2: Sep 26, 2013 04:48:57 am
      Agree with fletch_rox.
      We never seem to do anything useful from corners. It's almost always easily cleared by the other teams. Bugging. :/
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #3: Sep 26, 2013 05:38:53 am
      I genuinely don't think we practice attacking or defending from them, we've been notoriously poor for years at corners
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,490 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #4: Sep 26, 2013 06:12:21 am
      Agger lost his man against Soton, Enrique lost his man against moyes utd.

You can practice corners all you like, but when seasoned players play like Sunday league players (apologise to Sunday league players) then there's not much you can do about that, apart from sell them and buy new players

Agger has been dodgy for about 3 seasons now, and I've come to the conclusion that he simply isn't as good as I though he was.

As for being poor at taking them, it's a combination of either a poorly taken corner, or not enough belief that you are going to get on the end of them. Other than that, I have no idea why we are so inept and have been so inept for years but it seriously needs to be sorted out
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Reply #5: Sep 26, 2013 10:03:04 am
      Zonal Marking likes this  :gt-happyup:
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,396 posts | 3399 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #6: Sep 26, 2013 10:03:57 am
      I reckon corners should be banned...
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,170 posts | 4904 
      Reply #7: Sep 26, 2013 11:06:23 am
      We can't attack them or defend them.

Our set pieces in general are an embarrassment.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #8: Sep 26, 2013 11:34:07 am

Set pieces in general are a big weakness for us, even with Skrtel and Toure in the team we look poor. 
      Not really sure what the answer is short of putting all 11 players in either box :f_doh:
      Decent man marking would probably be the best place to start, for example making sure the other teams strikers are covered, unlike last nights bollox!
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #9: Sep 26, 2013 12:10:50 pm
      Hard to disagree with the OP. It's not just corners either, I've been moaning for quite some time that we look vulnerable every time a ball is delivered into the box in the air. I was hoping that with Toure and Sakho on the pitch we'd be stronger in that department but I suppose they can't do it all themselves.
      Paul_LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 256 posts | 10 
      Reply #10: Sep 26, 2013 12:25:50 pm
      I genuinely think we're the worst set piece team in the Premier League, we're dreadful at attacking and defending corners and free kicks. We've been sh*t at set pieces for years. Only recently has Suarez filled me with a bit of hope when he's taking a direct free kick to score, I think he's one of the best free kick takers around. Other than that we're F***ing terrible.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #11: Sep 26, 2013 12:26:48 pm
      This is a massive problem we have...

Last night we had 10 Corners to Attack, from that I cannot remeber a goal scoring opportunity from one. You have to ask what is an expected ratio of goals from corners and from looking on a few sites it would appear the chance of scoring from a corner is about 4% (article from Bitter & Blue). So one goal from 20 corners should be expected, yet this is for me a minumum. I would hope that if we have 10 corners a game we should score 1... This is what I would ask from my players...

So why do we conceed so many and score so few..?

Conceeding I beleive to be because we have too many defenders who cant deal with them, Agger and Enrique are very culpable here. We just look worried every time there is a corner, and this will result in us shipping goals. Teams will now target this area and play more balls into the box as they know it is a problem area. We need to be aware of this and turn it into a strength.

Scoring, simple answer here. No one at the club has been able to deliver a ball in a dangerous position concistantly for us in a bloody long time. Our corners always look naff - either first man clears or its to the back of the box / played short to become a normal attack. This was shown yesterday when Sterling took the corner - he looked back at the box as if to ask 'really, me - but I cant take corners' jogged over and played it short. This lack of confidence again breeds poor returns for us. The only player since Hyppia who looks like he can actually attack the ball is Toure, this is also something we need to sort out.

In short, we are just poor all round - we have no confidence for attacking them or defending. This will become a bigger problem as the season goes on unless we can turn this into a strength...
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,146 posts | 2777 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #12: Sep 26, 2013 01:04:32 pm
      Ah when I saw the title I thought it was about being poo at scoring from or even looking like scoring from corners.

Must be some craic in training games. The defenders probably think here class at defending corners because our corner takers are so s*it at delivering them
      DanMann

• 5,725 posts | 880 
      Reply #13: Sep 26, 2013 01:16:20 pm
      Ah when I saw the title I thought it was about being poo at scoring from or even looking like scoring from corners.

Me too. Every time we had a corner last night I said "no chance". Why we even bother taking a corner?

The anomaly there is that we scored from a corner against Utd - although that took two headers (Sturridge to redirect Agger's). 
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #14: Sep 26, 2013 01:23:54 pm

Must be some craic in training games. The defenders probably think here class at defending corners because our corner takers are so s*it at delivering them

Bloody hell you might be onto something there :-)
      Seriously though this is what managers and coaches are paid to fix, they are surely supposed to improve a team in the areas which need improving, otherwise what is the f'ing point of them?
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #15: Sep 26, 2013 05:14:04 pm
      The defenders probably think here class at defending corners...

Hate it when players start to think that they are world class. They stop working hard in training and take their starting places for granted. Like a certain Fernando huh?
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #16: Sep 26, 2013 05:18:16 pm
      Hard to disagree with the OP. It's not just corners either, I've been moaning for quite some time that we look vulnerable every time a ball is delivered into the box in the air. I was hoping that with Toure and Sakho on the pitch we'd be stronger in that department but I suppose they can't do it all themselves.

Similar thoughts to myself, I'm now hoping that as an understanding between them develops we'll improve defending aerially.

It's not just defending the bloody things though, we don't ever seem to threaten from them either!

Weird that, considering Gerrard delivers an excellent ball most of the time from free kicks near hte edge of the box and further back. Perhaps because he can swing it in behind the defensive line and have them running back to get a head on it, whereas from a corner the defence is set and can come to attack the ball.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,146 posts | 2777 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #17: Sep 26, 2013 05:22:49 pm
      Apart from the odd few we play short we play the same corner all the time no imagination  at all to them
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #18: Sep 26, 2013 05:38:17 pm
      Don't forget being shocking at scoring from them!

This
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #19: Sep 26, 2013 05:41:30 pm
      We're sh*te at scoring from them as well.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #20: Sep 26, 2013 05:47:21 pm

Not unreasonable to suppose that one or two opposing managers have picked up on this particular Achilles Heel and take advantage with the dead ball situations.
      The mancs were sh*te but profited from this weakness as have others.
      I wonder why the manager is not allowed to address the shortcoming the squad seem to have in this department?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #21: Sep 26, 2013 05:56:41 pm
      Not unreasonable to suppose that one or two opposing managers have picked up on this particular Achilles Heel and take advantage with the dead ball situations.
      The mancs were sh*te but profited from this weakness as have others.
      I wonder why the manager is not allowed to address the shortcoming the squad seem to have in this department?

Why do you think the manager is not allowed to address this problem, who's nto allowing him? No it's nmore the fact he probably doesn't realise it's a problem and does nothing to address it.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #22: Sep 26, 2013 06:38:13 pm
      Why do you think the manager is not allowed to address this problem, who's nto allowing him? No it's nmore the fact he probably doesn't realise it's a problem and does nothing to address it.

Are you having a laugh??
      Do you think it's Brendan's choice we have a threadbare squad?
      Do you think it's his choice we sell/loan higher earners?
      Do you think he likes being consistently outbid for targets he has designated?

You are having a F***ing laugh illustrated by your doubting the manager of LFC does not realise there is a tactical shortcoming that the world and his wife can see.

Quick Reply