Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Corners!!!

Read 12595 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Corners!!!
      Reply #46: Sep 28, 2013 10:30:09 am

Also, don't forget we're also a bit sh*t at taking them.

Corner practice this week then eh Brendan?

No point, apparently its FSG's fault that we are sh*t at taking and defending corners, nothing at all to do with the coaches or manager!!!
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #47: Sep 28, 2013 10:40:56 am
      No point, apparently its FSG's fault that we are sh*t at taking and defending corners, nothing at all to do with the coaches, players or manager!!!

Fixed
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #48: Sep 28, 2013 11:55:10 am

So in conclusion

We have sh*t owners, sh*t players and a sh*t manager

BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #49: Sep 28, 2013 03:26:22 pm
      Heard Carra on Sky the other week saying he stopped trying to advise/shout at/order around Enrique on the pitch as he just doesn't listen to anybody and does everything his own way

Bad trait.

Could it be a language barrier?
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #50: Sep 29, 2013 10:58:32 am

Also, don't forget we're also a bit sh*t at taking them.

Corner practice this week then eh Brendan?

I made the point last season that it was good to see Coutinho taking corners so Gerrard can lurk on the edge of the area where he's dangerous. Even before Coutinho's injury, that went out of the window. Whether that's Brendan's choice or Stevie pulling rank, I don't know but I think they should look at it.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #51: Sep 29, 2013 11:54:40 am

Enrique has been in England for years.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #52: Sep 29, 2013 12:13:57 pm
      I made the point last season that it was good to see Coutinho taking corners so Gerrard can lurk on the edge of the area where he's dangerous. Even before Coutinho's injury, that went out of the window. Whether that's Brendan's choice or Stevie pulling rank, I don't know but I think they should look at it.

Agree whole-heartedly. Think Gerrard is quite poor at corner, if I am honest, so great to see others taking them. With Coutinho not fit, it will probably be Gerrard taking them again. Think it would be better to have him in the middle it even on the edge of the box waiting for the ball.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #53: Sep 29, 2013 04:30:04 pm
      We were bound to score from a corner today  :laugh:
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #54: Sep 29, 2013 04:32:43 pm
      We were bound to score from a corner today  :laugh:

Sweepstake for the next one?  I'll have the third week of April please. ;)
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #55: Sep 29, 2013 07:50:37 pm
      Just as I said Gerrard was sh*te at corners of late , up he pops and delivers the goods . Ah well I love eating my words .
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #56: Sep 29, 2013 10:10:58 pm
      Just as I said Gerrard was sh*te at corners of late , up he pops and delivers the goods . Ah well I love eating my words .
      In fairness his corner after the goal went sailing miles over everybody's heads so lets not get to excited, he's still bloody awful at taking corners, btw I think we finally found a team even worse than us at defending them :-)
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #57: Oct 01, 2013 04:58:28 pm
      Interesting topic. I saw on TV (earlier this season) that corners "weren't all that" in football as a whole.

So how sh*t are we at defending corners? Well, last season, our often maligned back four (and keeper) conceded 164 (Premier League) corners - the second fewest in the league. From those we conceded 6 goals = 3.65%.

Offensively our often praised attack won 285 corners - the highest in the league. From those we scored 6 goals = 2.10%

So although it might appear that we are sh*t at defending them (last season anyhow): we are more sh*t at converting them.

tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,209 posts | 914 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #58: Oct 01, 2013 08:31:27 pm
      Undoubtably one of the most frustrating aspects of our game, the amount of corners we get to what we cash in on is staggering, a part of our game that needs changing. Gerrard takes to many, it should vary more, when Gerrard takes a corner he lofts the ball far to high giving defenders plenty of time to clear the ball. Come on Brendan wake up
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #59: Oct 01, 2013 08:44:58 pm
      whether its zonal defending or even zonal attacking(if there is such a thing) from corners loadsa teams in the BPL spend more time pulling and tugging the man they're marking as the ball comes in..
      Corners are a crap shoot in Football these days...you can dink it near post, blast it to the far post but if you don't attack the ball its lost..
      The amount of times we win corners through pressure pressure pressure and just deliver a sh*t ball in knee high or straight to the keeper winds me up no end !!
      On the odd occasion we've played it short and cut it back to the corner of the box for a more dangerous delivery it's looked better as it fragments the 14 or so players crowded around the edge of the 6 yd box..and/or with Suarez as an option to take it on, with his nutmegs or whip it in...even square it across the D for Gerrard to smack it...
      The earlier poster who mentioned the Barcelona way is absolutely right..
      The days of the Terry mac , Stevie Highway delivery have long gone...we must be more creative...we've got the players !!
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #60: Oct 01, 2013 08:48:56 pm
      Suarez for me has to be our set piece taker from now on. I feel attacking corners shouldn't be practiced in training. With someone like Suarez taking them let him come up with something in the moment. The only thing I'd have set in stone is for Sakho and Toure to make a nuisance of themselves.
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #61: Oct 01, 2013 08:51:20 pm
      Small players should take corners it ain't rocket science ;D
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,932 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #62: Oct 01, 2013 09:01:49 pm
      We do need to improve on corners both offensive & defensive, but I'm more concerned about how we F**k about at the back trying get the ball forward , it f***in annoys me how sometimes we lose possession in front and around the 18y box,
      I get so angry when we do it it proper pisses me off, lmao.

YNWA
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #63: Oct 01, 2013 09:07:10 pm
      Small players should take corners it ain't rocket science ;D
      Ha...Correct !... hence the Barcelona way mentioned earlier..
      If we are gonna ping it into the box then Coutinho's the right size eh..
      Like i said there's no reason why Coutinho & Suarez together can't work it short and move the ball in to the danger area..
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #64: Oct 01, 2013 09:07:18 pm
      Gotta agree with you there mate it does my head right in
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #65: Oct 01, 2013 09:09:26 pm
      Was agreeing with billy but agree with 6 stringer also
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #66: Oct 01, 2013 09:25:55 pm
      Plus the fact , when Suarez is in the box jostling for position before the corners taken he's more likely to lose his rag(maybe?) and allow his marker to wind him up...Evra comes to mind... so he's better off with the ball at his feet moving towards goal..

Scottbot

• 9,606 posts | 2158 
      Reply #67: Oct 01, 2013 11:10:55 pm
      There is an assumption among many fans that it is down to coaching or a lack of coaching but for me it's about the players. Some players attack the ball, have a good leap, are physical and are dominant in the air. Some are not. For a number of years now we haven't had enough of the former. I'd like to think that with Kolo and Sakho in the side we are now better placed to defend them but time will tell.

As for attacking corners, i must admit the Barcelon shout isn't a bad one, play them short and try and the ball to Luis in and around the edge of the box seems like a decent plan to me.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #68: Oct 09, 2013 01:10:37 pm
      There is an assumption among many fans that it is down to coaching or a lack of coaching but for me it's about the players. Some players attack the ball, have a good leap, are physical and are dominant in the air. Some are not. For a number of years now we haven't had enough of the former. I'd like to think that with Kolo and Sakho in the side we are now better placed to defend them but time will tell.

As for attacking corners, i must admit the Barcelon shout isn't a bad one, play them short and try and the ball to Luis in and around the edge of the box seems like a decent plan to me.
      or take Gerrard off them and put him on the edge and get a wingback like johnson to lay it off to him to strike, that way we atleast have more of a goal threat. its not a hard job to whip a ball into the box from a corner. johnson, henderson, coutinho, lucas even enrique at a push should be able to manage that.

Quick Reply