Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

May as well be first...I think we're going to seriously challenge for the title.

Read 108381 times
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,290 posts | 1514 
      Re: May as well be first...I think we're going to seriously challenge for the title.
      Reply #115: Nov 16, 2013 12:54:15 am
      If we don't beat any of the main rivals, and still make the top 4 with the squad we have, I don't see us getting past the group stages of the C.L. to be honest.
      Think to make an serious progress we need to buy well in Jan. Left back cover, quality attacking mid fielder and defensive mid field cover.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,278 posts | 763 
      Re: May as well be first...I think we're going to seriously challenge for the title.
      Reply #116: Nov 16, 2013 06:47:41 am
      I think our chances of doing well in the Premier League may be helped, by the fact that we are not playing on a Thursday, in the Europa League, which after all is only a secondary competition to the Champion's League. Also to bring in one or two players in January will strengthen the side even more. Quite rightly home form could prove a decisive factor in how far the team progress.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #117: Nov 16, 2013 08:13:53 am
      We lost to Arsenal who lost to ManUre who lost to us.

We can beat anyone in the league.

By that logic, so can Sunderland ;)
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,385 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #118: Nov 16, 2013 09:34:50 am
      If with a couple of games to go we're in the same position then I'd get excited, at the moment though the league is all over the place with not one outstanding team and a lot of it is a much of a muchness.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,913 posts | 4980 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #119: Nov 16, 2013 10:13:14 am
      Our next 6 matches....

Everton (a).  3 pts

Hull C.   (a).  3 pts

Norwich. (h). 3 pts

W Ham.  (h). 3pts

Spuds.   (a).  1pt

Cardiff C (h). 3pts

Can't see no reason we won't manage those results above, 16 pts giving us a total at Xmas of 39, after 17 played, I make that over two pts per match,

With home advantage V City, Chavs, Arse, and Spuds it's going to be very exciting second half of the campaign, we have to strengthen of course in the right areas and I would have thought BR has his targets sighted and is ready to bring them in,

I agree we are well capable of holding our own against anyone so long as the tactics are right on the day and it is thus which could make the difference in 3pts,1pt or none against the better equipped sides,
      I think Brendan has the know how to at least compete with those so called big boys , playing a 3 at the back only works in certain situations , it's hard to argue it hasn't worked for us this season, but we are better balanced having a back 4 especially with Glen & Jose going forward and Coutinho in the hole , that's all well and good but what if we are being put on the back foot, it's here that BR has to be ruthless and possibly sacrifice a striker for added protection in midfield,
      And it's here I believe we need to strengthen most ,

Hopefully FSG. Have been briefed by BR. And that they provide the proper funding required.

YNWA

Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #120: Nov 16, 2013 10:29:44 am
      Our next 6 matches....

Everton (a).  3 pts

Hull C.   (a).  3 pts

Norwich. (h). 3 pts

W Ham.  (h). 3pts

Spuds.   (a).  1pt

Cardiff C (h). 3pts

I agree with a lot of what you say - but that's a bit too optimistic even for me..! If we get 4 wins, 1 draw and a loss from that we have done very well - and will leave us in a great place.

It starts with Everton - a game I dont beleive you can put a clear winner on, especially away! But a win there and we are set uop for a great half of the season.

andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #121: Nov 16, 2013 11:23:01 am
      Bloody Hell 16 points out of the next available 18 would be great but i for one don't think
      it will happen.
      However i can't see anyone else in the league takin 16 from their next 18 either.
      Do i think we can win this season?
      No i don't frankly our squad just isn't strong enough 4th will do me fine this season.

Not being a pessimist just being realistic & honest
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,913 posts | 4980 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #122: Nov 16, 2013 11:23:51 am
      I agree with a lot of what you say - but that's a bit too optimistic even for me..! If we get 4 wins, 1 draw and a loss from that we have done very well - and will leave us in a great place.

It starts with Everton - a game I dont beleive you can put a clear winner on, especially away! But a win there and we are set uop for a great half of the season.

Fair comment mate regarding Blueshite but we do have a decent record there, having said that it's true anything can happen on derby days, I suppose I'm just confident of the 3 pts, and the other 13,  ;)
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #123: Nov 16, 2013 11:41:13 am
      However i can't see anyone else in the league takin 16 from their next 18 either.

I think that is probably the most profound sentence I've read with regards to where we'll finish this season.

So far *crosses fingers* this season, we've managed to take advantage of other results, something we haven't done in the past.  We've not just won games we should have but rivals have lost games they would normally win and that's helped us massively. 

Maybe our luck has changed for the better and it's coincided with a general improvement to our results  ;)
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #124: Nov 16, 2013 11:55:33 am
      Would love to see us getting all three points at Goodison Park. However, I think they'll be fired up and as usual, we'll drop points after the international break. I wouldn't settle for a draw myself, but think that's the most likely result.

There is no excuse when we play Hull away, Norwich and West Ham at home. Expect 9 easy points. We're clearly going to drop points in the bigger games out there, so these smaller games are 100% must win.

I don't want there to be any if's or but's come the end of the season. No missing out on 4th by 2 points please...
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #125: Nov 16, 2013 03:50:59 pm
      I think the game against Everton will be a good indicator of how our season will go. Win this and even some of the doubters (like me) will start to put our shoulders to Mick's bandwagon.

Lose it and it will look more and more likely that we will again struggle to beat the better sides this season. Unfortunately I think this game is more  one for Kenny's up and at 'em style than Brendan's. 
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,004 posts | 3351 
      Reply #126: Nov 16, 2013 04:30:18 pm
      I wouldn't say you were the first Mick but well done for coming to round the way I've been thinking ever since last season finished ;)
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #127: Nov 16, 2013 08:17:11 pm
      I wouldn't say you were the first Mick but well done for coming to round the way I've been thinking ever since last season finished ;)

In the darkest hours youve always raised the flag of positivity comrade DLS.
      Its seen us through.

Can't help us keeping our expectations in check though Mick.
      Blind faith or reality has been what we have levelled out at.
      Sometimes no bad thing for the sanity.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #128: Nov 16, 2013 09:01:53 pm
      As a pessimist, I'll wait 'til May.

And hopefully I will be partying like a crazy.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #129: Nov 16, 2013 10:47:16 pm
      Being realistic, I don't think we'll challenge for the title. I've had it in my head that the longer we're up there, the less we'll fall when we inevitably hit our blip in form - hopefully the squad aren't thinking like that.

Our run between now and Christmas will tell us a lot. If we're still within five points then maybe - but top four should be our absolute minimum requirement should that be the case.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #130: Nov 17, 2013 03:14:06 am
      Exvellent opening post Bigmick.
      I admire your optimism.
      At the start of the season I expected a top 5 finish and I still remain in the same mindset
      Regardless, the results and performances so far this season see me thinking a more brightfull future is ahead of us. More so in many a year.
      I see this season as another prosperous step in rebuilding our foundation.
      Top 5 and still within 10 points of the top I and will be happy.
      siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 811 posts | 113 
      Reply #131: Nov 17, 2013 03:52:21 am
      WTH is "top 5"? Never heard of that before.
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #132: Nov 17, 2013 05:02:00 am
      WTH is "top 5"? Never heard of that before.

It's similar to top 10, but only half.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #133: Nov 25, 2013 05:24:40 pm
      I get the impression after the weekends results that I'm still on my own on this particular bandwagon, but that's OK. Man City and Chelsea both were impressive, Arsenal got a good result but we got the better of the exchanges between ourselves, Man Utd and Spurs. Indeed Spurs are looking like they cannot win it or even challenge, while the Mancs are starting to need snookers.

We've got some winnable games coming up. Indeed the nest two matches if we can win them ought to see the potential winners of the title reduced to a maximum of five, even potentially as few as four. We have Hull Away and Norwich at home, and if we win both we will be in a strong position and my guess is I'll have company on this wagon. Here's everyones next TWO games:

Liverpool : Hull (A), Nor (H).

Man Utd : Tott (A), Ev (H)

Man City : Swan (H), WBA (A)

Chel : South (H), Sun (A)

Ars : Card (A), Hull (H).

Now I expect Man City, Arsenal and Chelsea to win both. If they do, then one or the other of the Mancs or Spurs will be as good as out of it after their game. The Mancs then have Everton which won't be easy, and if we win our two my guess is the league will be as good as down top a four horse race between Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea and us.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #134: Nov 25, 2013 06:36:54 pm
      I expect we'll finish in the top 20. :D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,146 posts | 4897 
      Reply #135: Nov 25, 2013 09:26:14 pm
      I get the impression after the weekends results that I'm still on my own on this particular bandwagon, but that's OK.

I'm still with you Mick.

Three winnable games coming up before we play Spurs away and I think we'll still be second by then.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #136: Nov 25, 2013 09:31:26 pm
      I'm still with you Mick.

Three winnable games coming up before we play Spurs away and I think we'll still be second by then.

Agree...if not first even.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1648 
      • YNWA
      Reply #137: Nov 25, 2013 09:38:50 pm
      I get the impression after the weekends results that I'm still on my own on this particular bandwagon, but that's OK. Man City and Chelsea both were impressive, Arsenal got a good result but we got the better of the exchanges between ourselves, Man Utd and Spurs. Indeed Spurs are looking like they cannot win it or even challenge, while the Mancs are starting to need snookers.

We've got some winnable games coming up. Indeed the nest two matches if we can win them ought to see the potential winners of the title reduced to a maximum of five, even potentially as few as four. We have Hull Away and Norwich at home, and if we win both we will be in a strong position and my guess is I'll have company on this wagon. Here's everyones next TWO games:

Liverpool : Hull (A), Nor (H).

Man Utd : Tott (A), Ev (H)

Man City : Swan (H), WBA (A)

Chel : South (H), Sun (A)

Ars : Card (A), Hull (H).

Now I expect Man City, Arsenal and Chelsea to win both. If they do, then one or the other of the Mancs or Spurs will be as good as out of it after their game. The Mancs then have Everton which won't be easy, and if we win our two my guess is the league will be as good as down top a four horse race between Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea and us.

Ourselves, Arse and Shitty have decent chance of getting 6 points.
      Chelsea will do well to win both. Southampton will be looking to bounce back, their keeper fecked up their day at the Arse. And Sunderland are starting to show some spirit, ridiculous sending off of Brown at the weekend.
      Utd have a couple of tough matches alright. Spuds will hurting after their thrashing.

Quick Reply