Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

May as well be first...I think we're going to seriously challenge for the title.

Read 108474 times
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Re: May as well be first...I think we're going to seriously challenge for the title.
      Reply #1196: Apr 20, 2014 03:34:32 pm
      Why do people refer to Maureen as a manager who was only successful with teams of unlimited finances ECCEPT at Porto ? FFS Porto and Benfica are like Rangers and Celtic of years gone by. If you can't win the Portugese league with either of those clubs, you'd be considered a muppet. Brendan had Swansea playing great football, with limited funds and players. Now with better players and better, but limited funds, he has us playing the best footy in the league.
      Could Maureen do it at Swansea, or Southampton, Everton, Newcastle or Sunderland maybe?
       no, not a F***ing chance. He's a motivator of players, but with out the top class players always at his disposal, he's a limited tactician.   Very often route 1. He has little respect for other teams, managers or officials. He has to be the most arrogant and dissrespectful man I have ever seen, and I wouldn't give the w**ker the time of day. In fact if I came face to face with him, I'm not sure I could stop myself chinning the c**t.
      Despise him with a vengeance.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Re: May as well be first...I think we're going to seriously challenge for the title.
      Reply #1197: Apr 20, 2014 03:45:13 pm
      League Table after the Chelsea game at Stamford Bridge...

1 - Arsenal 42 pts.
      2 - City 41 pts.
      3 - Chelsea 40 pts.
      4 - Everton 37 pts.
      5 - Liverpool 36 pts.

League Table before the Chelsea game at Anfield...

1 - Liverpool 80 pts.
      2 - Chelsea 75 pts.
      3 - City - 71 pts.
      4 - Arsenal 67 pts (looks certain to be 70)
      5 - Everton 66 pts

Talk about a turn around.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,348 posts | 1622 
      Reply #1198: Apr 20, 2014 03:51:11 pm
      Close. Bigmick is a c***. Never had a sheckle on us at all, not a bean.

I had 20 on us end of Sept couldn't remember what the odds were and been afraid to look as not to tempt fate just had a look and we were 8/1 in Ladbrooke which I think we're very poor odds

ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1029 
      Reply #1199: Apr 20, 2014 10:13:56 pm
      Just had a thought. I'm sure we would be happy whichever way we win the title, but personally it would be a little bit of a let down if we won it as a result of a contender dropping points.

For example, say the Baggies get a draw tomorrow against Citeh, that would leave them 8 points behind with a game in hand. Then we play Chelsea on Sunday before Citeh play Palace. If we get a win that rules Chelsea out of the title. If Citeh then drop points against Palace, that also rules them out and sees us as champions.

Now, I might be reading in to it a bit much and maybe it doesn't matter either way. In all honesty though, I would want us to win it while out boys are on the pitch. I'd want to see the reactions of the players and the fans, how much it means to them. Most of all I would want to see Stevie's face when/if (when) we are out of reach. You saw what it meant to him after the Citeh game, his reaction should we clinch it would far surpass that.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1200: Apr 20, 2014 10:17:00 pm
      I'm counting on City to win their next two games, which leaves them 3 behind with superior goal difference (today was a chance to go ahead of them on that score) With our next games at home to Chelsea and away at Palace, not to mention the nervy last game of the season at home to Newcastle, we are not there yet make no mistake.

What a huge game next week is, and I'm going to put it out there, without the engine of Hendo, I'm worried, and Palace are very much in form, too. 

In our favour for next week, is the fact that Chelsea go away to Atletico in midweek and hopefully get given the run around for 90 minutes.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #1201: Apr 20, 2014 10:22:38 pm
      I'm counting on City to win their next two games, which leaves them 3 behind with superior goal difference (today was a chance to go ahead of them on that score) With our next games at home to Chelsea and away at Palace, not to mention the nervy last game of the season at home to Newcastle, we are not there yet make no mistake.

What a huge game next week is, and I'm going to put it out there, without the engine of Hendo, I'm worried, and Palace are very much in form, too. 

Agree mate, the media would have is believe it's all wrapped up. One defeat and it's City's to lose again because we won't beat their goal difference IMO. Keep focused. We go again.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #1202: Apr 21, 2014 12:40:14 pm
      Agree mate, the media would have is believe it's all wrapped up. One defeat and it's City's to lose again because we won't beat their goal difference IMO. Keep focused. We go again.
      Absolutely. I'm  now thinking it's our to lose. Dafter things have happened and it's far from over. We have a hard run of games ahead of us what ever the media says. Chelsea and city will be confident we will drop points, as much as we are about them dropping points.
      We have to WIN this, not expect to have it on a plate.
      Add to that, we haven't looked great in second half lately, and have held on a bit under pressure.
      Still a massive task for us, but also a massive opportunity. I'm worried shitless, as all the teams we have played, or are to play, bar Newcastle, seem to have hit a bit of form. We done well so far, just praying we can keep it going.
      harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #1203: Apr 21, 2014 01:57:58 pm

I won't be one bit surprised to see City drop points to WBA today.  Toure (their driving force in midfield) and Silva (their chief creator) will both be out with injury and Aguero still hasn't hit top form after recovering from injury.  That's 2 of their 3 best players out, and the other one off form so I won't be surprised if they struggle to assert themselves.  West Brom will gladly take a point from the game so the onus will be on City to really go for the win which may leave them exposed on the counter. 
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1204: Apr 21, 2014 02:04:54 pm
      League Table after the Chelsea game at Stamford Bridge...

1 - Arsenal 42 pts.
      2 - City 41 pts.
      3 - Chelsea 40 pts.
      4 - Everton 37 pts.
      5 - Liverpool 36 pts.

League Table before the Chelsea game at Anfield...

1 - Liverpool 80 pts.
      2 - Chelsea 75 pts.
      3 - City - 71 pts.
      4 - Arsenal 67 pts (looks certain to be 70)
      5 - Everton 66 pts

Talk about a turn around.
      if we didn't drop points to villa and Southampton we'd be crowned champions now.  Still think we'll do it with a game to spare.
      harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #1205: Apr 21, 2014 08:40:56 pm
      I won't be one bit surprised to see City drop points to WBA today.  Toure (their driving force in midfield) and Silva (their chief creator) will both be out with injury and Aguero still hasn't hit top form after recovering from injury.  That's 2 of their 3 best players out, and the other one off form so I won't be surprised if they struggle to assert themselves.  West Brom will gladly take a point from the game so the onus will be on City to really go for the win which may leave them exposed on the counter. 

Hmmmm..... maybe not my best prediction ever.... :(
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1206: Apr 21, 2014 09:40:25 pm
      7 points from 9. Thats a tall task. Stomach churning feeling about it.

Liverpool 80points;
      Chelsea & Newcastle at home, Palace away.  Chelsea, 8th on the inform list, (8 ) Palace 2nd (2) on the inform list and Newcastle (20) the worst team in the league, form wise.

Chelsea 75 points;
      Chelsea have the league leaders and the most inform team away (1), Norwich one of the worst form teams (19) at home and Cardiff away (16) who have been in pretty bad form also.

City 74 points +1 Game (assuming they win tonight 3-1 at time of writing);
      City have Palace (2) and Everton (3) away, Villa (18) and West ham (15) at home. Palace, the 2nd most in form team in England, wont be easy. A team that beat Chelsea. Everton, the 3rd most inform team in the league.

Based on the simplest measurement, City have the toughest run in (28.5 (adjusted to 3 games) then LFC (30) and then the plastics (36). The fact that city have 4 games and lack that 1 game points on the board also attributes to their worst run in.

LFC To win;
      Minimum 6/9points will see LFC finish above Chelsea.
      Minimum 7/9points will see LFC win the league.

Chelsea to win;
      They need to beat us, a draw and they need us to lose the remaining 2. For them to have a chance to win I recon they need a full 9/9 points and a miracle.

City to win;
      They need chelsea to draw or beat us. If we draw with chelsea, they need us to draw or lose 1 of the other 2. If we lose to chelsea then 12 points will see City win the league on GD. Everton and Palace away, tough games. They need 12/12 points and us to drop 3/9 points.

Its a shame that City play Palace after we play chelsea. Would much rather they played 1st. Doesnt make a difference mind.

7/9 is a tall task but so is 12/12 with City's run in.

The table as I see it ending;
      Liverpool 5/9 85 points - draws against Chelsea and Palace and 3 against Newcastle.
      City 9/12 83 points - Everton to beat them and 3wins.
      Chelsea 7/9 82 points - We draw with them + 2wins.

« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2014 09:53:21 pm by Pagekarl »
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #1207: Apr 21, 2014 09:59:49 pm
      I think we have a good shot for the title now. Chelsea is basically 2 games behind us with 3 games to play. City basically must win out. We need to stay focused, it's not a "cruise to the end"-situation, but it's a comfortable one. I'm especially thankful that a guy like Gerrard - maybe, hopefully - will win his first national title, and a little bit sad that a guy like Carragher won't, but that's life.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,225 posts | 2805 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1208: Apr 23, 2014 01:43:42 pm
      Ifs, ands, buts and maybes...but

if we win Sunday and city draw with Palace the table would look like this

Reds 83
      city 75
      chelsea 75

meaning city would have to win at goodison or we'd be champions even if we lost at palace
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #1209: Apr 23, 2014 01:49:18 pm
      Don't know if anyone's seen this, but this website is based on hundreds of millions of results, probabilities, outcomes and permutations. It's simply amazing.

It says that even if we end up on 85-86 pts, we still have over an 80% chance of winning the title. Amazing stuff.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/England/Liverpool.html
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #1210: Apr 23, 2014 05:32:17 pm
      Ifs, ands, buts and maybes...but

if we win Sunday and city draw with Palace the table would look like this

Reds 83
      city 75
      chelsea 75

meaning city would have to win at goodison or we'd be champions even if we lost at palace

If I were a betting man, I'd put money on City dropping points to either Palace or Everton (and maybe both).

If we can manage two more wins, that should be more than enough to seal this up. That being said, I still want us to win all three and win it on 14 in a row. :D
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #1211: Apr 24, 2014 03:03:01 pm
      If I were a betting man, I'd put money on City dropping points to either Palace or Everton (and maybe both).

Think it's vital for Everton to get something from the Southampton game.  If that goes tits up then they could be 4 points behind Arsenal and can see them throwing in the towel.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #1212: Apr 24, 2014 03:40:35 pm
      Think it's vital for Everton to get something from the Southampton game.  If that goes tits up then they could be 4 points behind Arsenal and can see them throwing in the towel.
      Mersey pride. I'll be happy for my mates as long as we are above them.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Reply #1213: Apr 27, 2014 01:04:18 am

A self inflicted tits up performance.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,348 posts | 1622 
      Reply #1214: Apr 27, 2014 10:53:04 am
      If MIck never starts another thread this one by far his most inspired we have a new visionary amongst us arise sir MICK. Well done MIck so many equations in here you coud add it to the syllabus.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1215: Apr 27, 2014 11:11:57 am
      Just this season alone, he had to go to City and get a result. he did. He had to go to Arsenal and get a result, he did. He had to get a certain result against PSG, he got it. So he knows how to get them.

Pellegrini had an oil sheikh to fund him this season. He's taken just 7 points from his rivals in the title race, and there's the difference between them.

That's a fair point re Maureen being able to get the results needed, although not pretty to watch he'll set his teams up to stifle in bigger matches. Like Rafa he is a pragmatist where football is concerned.

That said I'm pretty confident we'll give his tactics and team a serious examination today. We owe these.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #1216: Apr 27, 2014 11:35:09 am
      Why do pundits keep saying city have 2 games in hand on us?  They've been at it all morning thick fu**ing tw**s  :mad:
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,225 posts | 2805 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1217: May 11, 2014 09:07:27 am
      Well here we are last day of the season and its still on, yes its a slim chance but its a chance. I just have a strange feeking in my gut and its not last nights curry

Either way im going to revel in it today. Enjoy every minute of it and when its all over what will be will be and well have had a n excellent season

Finally can anyone upload these 2 songs please, very apt....Journey "Don't stop believing" and The Beatles " Ive got a feeling"
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #1218: May 11, 2014 09:31:46 am
      Who  tought  we will be in this position ,back in september  , the last game of 38 and still fighting for a title with a very small chance to pinch it
      2 weeks ago it was shitty who had that small chance with LFC the bigger one, now things are the opposite, ,It can still go the other way in 90 last minutes
       Its very difficult, but its there and it can happen
       YNWA

Quick Reply