Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

May as well be first...I think we're going to seriously challenge for the title.

Read 108378 times
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Re: May as well be first...I think we're going to seriously challenge for the title.
      Reply #23: Nov 13, 2013 01:00:08 pm
      hmmm I thought that was the 07/08 season. I remember we missed out by 2 points in a season Manchester United got a joke of a decision against spurs.  Arsenal held us to a draw in a match we dominated and we drew home and away to Stoke. If my memory is right.

Think we were 4th that year.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Re: May as well be first...I think we're going to seriously challenge for the title.
      Reply #24: Nov 13, 2013 01:02:29 pm
      Yea you are right.  Also it seems we were 4 points from top in 2009 and not 2.
      « Last Edit: Nov 13, 2013 01:08:08 pm by Ribapuru »
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Re: May as well be first...I think we're going to seriously challenge for the ti
      Reply #25: Nov 13, 2013 01:03:01 pm
      Why I think we'll fall short this season is, City will eventually get their sh*t together, Chelsea are bound to buy a decent striker in January, and we probably won't get the players we need to get us over the line.
      But who knows? Stranger things have happened!
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Re: May as well be first...I think we're going to seriously challenge for the ti
      Reply #26: Nov 13, 2013 01:07:05 pm
      Why I think we'll fall short this season is, City will eventually get their sh*t together, Chelsea are bound to buy a decent striker in January, and we probably won't get the players we need to get us over the line.
      But who knows? Stranger things have happened!
      Liverpool being in a strong position can attract top players now.  Especially from clubs already kicked out champions league in January. Might be the right time for us to land the marquee signing we are waiting for.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #27: Nov 13, 2013 01:36:25 pm
      Before we played Arsenal I was starting to have similar wild hopes Mick, sadly the way we were brushed aside by Arsenal crushed my hopes and dreams mate. I don't believe we have the squad, team or manager YET to win the league.

Our squad is unbalanced and unless the injury is to a CB we will suffer. Our team is too reliant on our strikers to score the goals. Our manager is still learning, is too inexperienced and tactically naïve to set the team up against the bigger sides.

Having said all that if we beat Everton next week ..... it's on baby!!   
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,581 posts | 3911 
      Reply #28: Nov 13, 2013 01:42:44 pm
      Before we played Arsenal I was starting to have similar wild hopes Mick, sadly the way we were brushed aside by Arsenal crushed my hopes and dreams mate. I don't believe we have the squad, team or manager YET to win the league.

Our squad is unbalanced and unless the injury is to a CB we will suffer. Our team is too reliant on our strikers to score the goals. Our manager is still learning, is too inexperienced and tactically naïve to set the team up against the bigger sides.

Having said all that if we beat Everton next week ..... it's on baby!!

Yeah if we go to Everton and get a result then I'll start thinking we're serious.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #29: Nov 13, 2013 02:00:06 pm
      I do think the opportunity is there for a surprise winner this year, but I think it will be Arsenal.  This Arsenal team lack the quality of a great side, but they will beat a lot of the Premier League whipping boys very easily and also look more capable than us of competing in the big games. Man City look troubled under Pelligrini and Mourinho seems to be lacking a consistent goalscorer like Suarez to win the league.

Man Utd have had a poor start and we've had a good start yet they're only 3 points behind us. Tells us the difference in standards in recent decades between the two clubs. I don't think they'll win the league as Moyes will drop points in games Ferguson would win easily, but they'll be fighting hard with us for the top 4.

Of course if we signed a world class midfielder in January we might find the confidence to go for the title. But I just don't think there's any belief in the Liverpool camp that the title is realistic.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #30: Nov 13, 2013 02:03:00 pm
      Loving the optimism. I've said from start of season, that this will be the closest for a long time. I really do think the top 6 will be covered by 5 or 6 points come May

Right now, there is no stand out team in the league - and this weekend for the first time in a long time ALL the results went our way - us battering a team to nil, and 4 of our biggest rivals all losing

Suarez staying fit is important - but think of even greater importance is that we dont lose Sturridge AND Suarez at the same time, as we cant probably "just" about cope with one out, but not both
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #31: Nov 13, 2013 02:17:59 pm
      I do think the opportunity is there for a surprise winner this year, but I think it will be Arsenal.  This Arsenal team lack the quality of a great side, but they will beat a lot of the Premier League whipping boys very easily and also look more capable than us of competing in the big games. Man City look troubled under Pelligrini and Mourinho seems to be lacking a consistent goalscorer like Suarez to win the league.

Man Utd have had a poor start and we've had a good start yet they're only 3 points behind us. Tells us the difference in standards in recent decades between the two clubs. I don't think they'll win the league as Moyes will drop points in games Ferguson would win easily, but they'll be fighting hard with us for the top 4.

Of course if we signed a world class midfielder in January we might find the confidence to go for the title. But I just don't think there's any belief in the Liverpool camp that the title is realistic.
      more f**king arsenal win the league crap. Fed up of this from so called liverpool fans. We are two points behind them and will probably be top after we beat Everton.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #32: Nov 13, 2013 02:34:36 pm
      Win the league?

Not yet not for me, we lack depth to our sqaud which will tell over the course of the season.. I think we are probably 5 players away and that will bite us at some point through Janaury-April.

The first step is CL, the revenue and kudos it brings will only help us bring in the right players we need for depth and improvements on the first team. To think that we wont have any significant injuries or loss of form over 9 months with our still thin squad is beyond optimism for me, we will need a lot of luck with those areas to finish in the top 4 against the depth and quality the others have. Arsenal for example have been consistent in that top 4 while we have been having our issues as a club and they find it difficult to sustain a 9 month challenge, theeir depth is superior to ours and if they add 2 to their squad its adding to a greater pool than us adding 2.

We have a great opportunity for me with the turn round and turmoil in the other main challengers to grab a top4 slot and if we do that and invest right we will finally be back where we belong, i firmly think we can do that, but its such a long season against 5 other sides with greater playing resourses than ours we are going to have to be very good to acheive that. The fact that the others are losing games this year is a help, id love us to win the league i just dont think we are there as yet.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #33: Nov 13, 2013 02:38:52 pm
      3 words.  January transfer window.

I have plenty of 3 words for you lad..

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #34: Nov 13, 2013 02:39:33 pm
      I firmly believe we will be in the hunt come January.
      The biggest doubt I have is that we will need another
      inspired January transfer window to sustain our momentum.

For that reason I'll just stay on the fence for the moment.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #35: Nov 13, 2013 02:40:38 pm
      I think given our start to the season winning the title it is a realistic ambition to have and one I'd like to think has been at least thought of by Brendan.

We may well end up a bit short but at this point there is no reason why we can't win the league.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #36: Nov 13, 2013 02:41:46 pm
      I have plenty of 3 words for you lad..
      oh goody. Maybe you can get a tshirt or a keyring or something.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #37: Nov 13, 2013 02:42:05 pm
      I firmly believe we will be in the hunt come January.
      The biggest doubt I have is that we will need another
      inspired January transfer window to sustain our momentum.

For that reason I'll just stay on the fence for the moment.

I think we will Race but I think it will boost our top4 chances rather than title chances.

I'd love to be wrong like, just think that top4 is a more realistic ambition
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #38: Nov 13, 2013 02:43:10 pm
      I think given our start to the season winning the title it is a realistic ambition to have and one I'd like to think has been at least thought of by Brendan.

We may well end up a bit short but at this point there is no reason why we can't win the league.

No reason we can't, I just don't think we will.

Baby steps
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,581 posts | 3911 
      Reply #39: Nov 13, 2013 02:45:03 pm
      more f**king arsenal win the league crap. Fed up of this from so called liverpool fans. We are two points behind them and will probably be top after we beat Everton.

Mate you are on another planet!!

Can't you see that arsenal have a better squad?! I don't get it.

They're playing really well with key players still to come back!!!

Walcott, chamberlaine and Podolski to name a few. That's depth to me.

They were so much better than us at the emirates.

They lost to United but they dominated them at old Trafford albeit creating clear opportunities.

Your posts annoy me everytime. I could never ever have a conversation with you down the pub.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #40: Nov 13, 2013 02:45:26 pm
      I think we will Race but I think it will boost our top4 chances rather than title chances.

I'd love to be wrong like, just think that top4 is a more realistic ambition
      The point is,  nobody in this league is running away with it. There is no dominant team,  yet yet some fans think we stand no chance while sitting pretty in second... and I am meant to be the pessimistic one?
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #41: Nov 13, 2013 02:47:44 pm
      The point is,  nobody in this league is running away with it. There is no dominant team,  yet yet some fans think we stand no chance while sitting pretty in second... and I am meant to be the pessimistic one?

Look

I can't be bothered to get in it with you lad.

You're welcome to your view, whatever it is, good luck with that
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #42: Nov 13, 2013 02:49:35 pm
      Mate you are on another planet!!

Can't you see that arsenal have a better squad?! I don't get it.

They're playing really well with key players still to come back!!!

Walcott, chamberlaine and Podolski to name a few. That's depth to me.

They were so much better than us at the emirates.

They lost to United but they dominated them at old Trafford albeit creating clear opportunities.

Your posts annoy me everytime. I could never ever have a conversation with you down the pub.
      Walcott isn't that great,  Sturridge and Suarez are miles ahead of podolski and geroud. Gerrard and Coutinho over any of Arsenal's midfield. Ozil hasn't done an awful lot to justify 40m. Arsenal's defence and keeper is nothing special. I don't see any superior arsenal. They were better at the Emirates because we set our team out with 3 at the back. At Anfield with our current formation I don't see the same happening.
      « Last Edit: Nov 13, 2013 02:55:51 pm by Ribapuru »
      Paul_LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 256 posts | 10 
      Reply #43: Nov 13, 2013 02:58:30 pm
      I'm a big believer in setting your sights high so F**k it, why not? As long as we keep our players fit and continue winning matches where we should be winning them, then I don't see why not. In 08/09 we fu**ed up too many home games as good as we were that season and it cost us. Take maximum points from all our home games should be the target. Then pick up points where we can away from home.

We've also got the best strike force in the league that can pull us past the finish line in them shitty gritty games. I would say we lack depth in midfield though which all of us are aware of but an addition or two in January can solve that. We've done well so far so I don't see why we can't still be in the hunt come January and then get the required additions in to make it a sustainable challenge.

At least if we aim high, worst case scenario we'll get 2nd best which will be Champions League football which would still be a step in the right direction and a huge stepping stone for next season, as long as our summer recruitment is efficient. And play Coutinho in the F***ing hole, he'll pick us up another 10 points alone in that position!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #44: Nov 13, 2013 03:01:24 pm
      its as good an opportunity as we have had for a longtime.Anfield could be what makes or breaks us because winning our homes games alone would give us over 60 points and there are a further 40 or so away points so at this point definitely in with a chance as much as anyone else is.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #45: Nov 13, 2013 03:07:15 pm
      Great to see the optimism, and great to see that other results are going our way as well.

A lot depends on not only who we can bring in during the next window, but also if we can avoid our usual bad month.

Top four and in with a shout with half a dozen games to go will do me.

Quick Reply