Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

May as well be first...I think we're going to seriously challenge for the title.

Read 107820 times
      Gongfarmer
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 173 posts | 19 
      Re: May as well be first...I think we're going to seriously challenge for the title.
      Reply #713: Feb 25, 2014 12:47:13 pm
      Before we get too carried away , have you seen the next 6 fixtures???

four away games and the two home games are Tottenham and Man C, not exactly a walk in the park. These games will define just how good we are, as like it or not we are now being talked up around the media.

I would have taken 4th at the start of the season and would take it now given the choice. Maybe I'm a half full kinda person but I have seen it before. Given the games involved I would take 11 points from the fixtures below and be happy..

Next six fixtures

BPL   1 Mar 2014   
      v Southampton (A)

BPL   16 Mar 2014   
      v Man Utd (A)

BPL   22 Mar 2014   
      v Cardiff (A)

BPL   30 Mar 2014   
      v Spurs (H)

BPL   5 Apr 2014   
      v West Ham (A)

BPL   12 Apr 2014   
      v Man City (H)

little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Re: May as well be first...I think we're going to seriously challenge for the title.
      Reply #714: Feb 25, 2014 01:08:23 pm
      This Southampton game is going to be the making of us this year. If we were to win here, which would be a big ask, I reckon will be beat United, mainly carried from confidence, belief & sheer determination. let alone ability!

It's a tough fixture in which we were hammered last year. Pochetinno has Rodgers' number so we really have to have our A game this weekend. First up is picking the right system & team sheet. We all know about their pressing, which is also probably our main weakness as it stops us playing. I reckon Allen should play to allow us neutralize their game & also deserves a start after his cameo the last day.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #715: Feb 25, 2014 01:24:38 pm
      Before we get too carried away , have you seen the next 6 fixtures???

four away games and the two home games are Tottenham and Man C, not exactly a walk in the park. These games will define just how good we are, as like it or not we are now being talked up around the media.

I would have taken 4th at the start of the season and would take it now given the choice. Maybe I'm a half full kinda person but I have seen it before. Given the games involved I would take 11 points from the fixtures below and be happy..

Next six fixtures

BPL   1 Mar 2014   
      v Southampton (A)

BPL   16 Mar 2014   
      v Man Utd (A)

BPL   22 Mar 2014   
      v Cardiff (A)

BPL   30 Mar 2014   
      v Spurs (H)

BPL   5 Apr 2014   
      v West Ham (A)

BPL   12 Apr 2014   
      v Man City (H)

I think we should break that up to the first 3 games....  Southampton, United, Cardiff.  If I put my tolerant/realistic hat on, we should be looking for AT LEAST 5 points+ from them.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #716: Feb 25, 2014 01:30:43 pm
      I don't think anything short of 33 points from 11 games will guarantee us Champion's League next year.

Er Id be fairly sure 33 points will crown us champions, never mind 4th!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #717: Feb 25, 2014 01:32:34 pm
      Er Id be fairly sure 33 points will crown us champions, never mind 4th!

Home and dry Brian.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #718: Feb 25, 2014 02:09:21 pm
      Call me a dreamer but I will dream on and honestly believe that we do stand a chance to push all those contenders to the wire. We just need to keep our consistency and not to loose to any of the top 4 contenders and do a proper job with the rest and hope that they slip-up a bit here and there for us to play catch up. Chelsea and Man City looks tired at the moment with late goals that saved them, they can only get more tired and perhaps picking up a few injuries here and there (not that I want any of our competitiors' players to be injured) with very tough CL games to come. Arsenal got dominated by us at the Emirates and how many teams can afford to do that at the Emirates, and they looks like on the way down, peaked too early while it looks like we're starting to peak with those goal feast.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #719: Feb 25, 2014 02:21:22 pm
      We've actually upped our performance levels this year, 2014, despite it not feeling like it with the games against Fulham and Swansea.  We've gone from 2ppg average to 2.5ppg and are currently unbeaten in 8 in the league, scoring 26 goals.

Keep that up over the remaining 11 games and that's an additional 27 points and 36 goals. 

Not bad for a team with a rookie manager, still in transition  ;D
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #720: Feb 25, 2014 02:23:56 pm
      Quote from manwithnoname
      I suppose when choosing a title winner, it always comes down to which club you hate the least.

Obviously nobody wants Chelsea to win, because they are cu*ts from top to bottom.

So that leaves Arsenal and City. Arsenal have the shttest fans in the Premiership and that myopic arl tw*t Wenger in charge. City have a fairly unassuming serial loser of a manager, but their success is nothing to do with him, and everything to do with their Arab oil money. Which is irritating.

It's almost impossible to choose between City and Arsenal as to which team I'd least hate to win.

If pushed....er........um.. ....oh, it's impossible. Anyone but Chelsea.

We've had to depend on all three to stop the mancs getting more titles in the past, and at times they've done it for us. So I've no particular hatred for any of them. City's fans are decent skins who were there for them when they were playing Chesterfield in league games, they share a mutual hatred of the mancs with us, and iirc, last year they had a laugh with Steve when he fell over at their end in our home league game. Fair enough they and Chelsea get to spend a few quid, but they need more than cash to compete, as shown by how far behind they finished last year.

Hopefully though,  it'll all be irrelevant on May 11 and it will be Steve with the title in his hands instead.
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #721: Feb 25, 2014 02:29:13 pm
      We've had to depend on Chelsea to stop the mancs getting another title in the past. As we've had to depend on Arsenal and City too, and at times they've done it for us. So I've no particular hatred for any of them. City's fans are decent skins who were there for them when they were playing Chesterfield in league games, they share a mutual hatred of the mancs with us, and iirc, last year they had a laugh with Steve when he fell over at their end in our home league game. Fair enough they and Chelsea get to spend a few quid, but they need more than cash to compete, as shown by how far behind they finished last year.

Hopefully though,  it'll all be irrelevant on May 11 and it will be Steve with the title in his hands instead.

Yes, but United aren't a feature, so that point is irrelevant. If the Mancs were in the mix it would be a fair shout. They aren't, and Chelsea are a repulsive club with hideous players, a grinning village idiot for an owner, cu*ts for fans, and players like John F***ing Terry, who is probably the most repugnant footballer in the country.

No Liverpool fan would want them to win the title if there are less horrific options still in the mix.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #722: Feb 25, 2014 02:44:13 pm
      No Liverpool fan would want them to win the title if there are less horrific options still in the mix.

No Liverpool fan should want any other team to win the League.

Why the F**k we're even discussing who we want to win League is beyond me. Can't we just be F***ing positive for once on this forum and actually believe in ourselves before we start considering other cu*ts for what is rightfully ours.

Who do I want to win the League? Liverpool Football Club. If we don't win the League who do I want to win it? I couldn't give a flying F**k.
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #723: Feb 25, 2014 02:48:36 pm

Why the f**k we're even discussing who we want to win League is beyond me. Can't we just be f**king positive for once on this forum and actually believe in ourselves before we start considering other cu*ts for what is rightfully ours.

Who do I want to win the League? Liverpool Football Club. If we don't win the League who do I want to win it? I couldn't give a flying f**k.

If we don't win the league I have a very clear list of teams who I would prefer not to:

United
      Everton
      Chelsea

Anything else is more complex shades of hate.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #724: Feb 25, 2014 09:06:09 pm

Why the f**k we're even discussing who we want to win League is beyond me. Can't we just be f**king positive for once on this forum and actually believe in ourselves before we start considering other cu*ts for what is rightfully ours.

Who do I want to win the League? Liverpool Football Club. If we don't win the League who do I want to win it? I couldn't give a flying f**k.

Totally agree mate. We are going to win The League. Everyone else can F**k off.
      TheShanklyGates
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #725: Feb 26, 2014 07:20:39 am
      We are more than capable of surprising everyone and winning the league. I say surprise everyone because the vast majority of media seem to think we'll be finishing 4th at most with Spurs our closest competition on that front but just like Chelsea,City and Arsenal they also have European football and that factor could play a HUGE part in where we see the title end up come May. The media are desperate for the mancs to get back in it but they're dead.

Arsenal,like someone said have peaked too early,their last few performances have shown they rely on Giroud far too much and when he doesn't score they really struggle. Many cynical non Liverpool fans may well say we rely on Suarez but we know that's sh*te. We've got goals lately from all over the team.

City are in the same mold as Arsenal,take Aguero out the team and they struggle big time. Last weekend Stoke should have beat them. God knows how they didn't. You can see tiredness creeping in on them just like with Arsenal and Chelsea and we have to use that to our advantage.

Chelsea if it can't be the mancs it's the medias wet dream to have the so called 'special one' crowned champion. They've got by without a good striker for too long and their luck is running out.

I really fail to see the fuss about either of the 3 teams. For all that's said about city's scoring power we're the leagues highest scorers and its something like 8 out of the last 10 winners its the highest scorers who have won the league.

I fully believe in this teams ability to go into this final run of games and beat absolutely anyone on our day and come out the other side with Stevie G holding the premiership trophy aloft. We can do this. We are Liverpool FC and when silverware is in sight when have we ever backed down from a fight?! We can do this! COME ON LIVERPOOL!!!!
      yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Reply #726: Feb 26, 2014 01:59:57 pm
      can't see us winning, and would take 4th today (not worried about man u winning the champions league or qualifiers). The fact we're so close in late February/early March speaks volumes about Rodgers, given where we have been since 2010. I think that with some astute purchases next year we will get there, and regular champions league appearances would be great. I think the oil clubs will have too much, because ultimately their plan B never involves the Cissokhos and Moseses.
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #727: Feb 26, 2014 02:23:52 pm
      Is it just me or does anybody have a horrible feeling our chance's could hinge on the result against the SCUM.Beat them can see us going all the way,lose it could hit us hard. Sunday game's on SlySport's don't go with us at the minute so not feeling too good about this,but it's St Patrick's weekend so  a good rub of the green may help us and i'm 40 on 11th of May so clutching at every lucky straw i can get. Do i think we can''YES''.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #728: Feb 26, 2014 03:07:22 pm
      Is it just me or does anybody have a horrible feeling our chance's could hinge on the result against the SCUM.Beat them can see us going all the way,lose it could hit us hard. Sunday game's on SlySport's don't go with us at the minute so not feeling too good about this,but it's St Patrick's weekend so  a good rub of the green may help us and i'm 40 on 11th of May so clutching at every lucky straw i can get. Do i think we can''YES''.

It's them lot who should be worried mate.

0-2 gives them a glimmer of hope.

But according to the media, they can still catch us.

What's more important in the short term for them?  A CL run or trying to claw back 11 points.  I would go for the former.

They could rest players for the return leg on the Wednesday.

I have to be honest here, the way they play, the way we are capable of playing.  I'd be truly pissed off if we didn't beat them by a +3 margin.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #729: Feb 26, 2014 04:15:12 pm

It's just you mate, them Scummykunts will be brickin it when they face us, I can see us totally overwhelming them at the toilet,
      We are capable of handing out a Spurs like demolition and I think we will,

Their season depends now on the return leg against the Greeks, but they face us 4 days prior,

When we destroy them their confidence will be f***in shattered, the Greeks will stick 9 behind the ball and hopefully score the killer goal on the counter,

They are in a word fu**ed, and it will give me great pleasure in hammering home that final nail when we batter them ,
      Can't wait to see that bacon faced arl tw*t squirm in his seat, 1-5 mighty reds.

YNWA
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #730: Feb 26, 2014 09:29:40 pm
      Ive looked at it a few times now with different scenarios and I kept coming up with 1 common factor...82 points needed to win the league

So for us that's 26 points from 33 needed. Huge ask. 8 wins 2 draws 1 loss. 9 wins 2 losses . Tough going

Of course it could all go tits up for all 4 teams involved and points get dropped all over the place
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #731: Feb 26, 2014 09:35:37 pm
      Just win the rest and it doesn't matter.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #732: Feb 26, 2014 11:01:51 pm
      I know the old adage is "the next game is the most important" but this time it is, without doubt.

Brendan hasn't beat Pocchetino, we've got an abysmal record at St Mary's - losing four of our five visits there and only scoring twice in that time. We'll also know if we can close the gap on those above us due to playing after them which increases the pressure as does City not playing because we know we can leap above them.

So it's a game that if we win, we'll really put our stamp on a League challenge.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #733: Feb 26, 2014 11:09:13 pm
      Quote from billythered
      It's just you mate, them Scummykunts will be brickin it when they face us, I can see us totally overwhelming them at the toilet,
      We are capable of handing out a Spurs like demolition and I think we will,

Their season depends now on the return leg against the Greeks, but they face us 4 days prior,

When we destroy them their confidence will be f***in shattered, the Greeks will stick 9 behind the ball and hopefully score the killer goal on the counter,

They are in a word fu**ed, and it will give me great pleasure in hammering home that final nail when we batter them ,
      Can't wait to see that bacon faced arl tw*t squirm in his seat, 1-5 mighty reds.

YNWA

Can't see it tbh. We couldn't beat them in the League Cup, even though we battered them for 90 minutes.

It's their cup final and it'll be the usual struggle. I'd take any result out of there, even a draw if necessary.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #734: Feb 26, 2014 11:38:24 pm
      Can't see it tbh. We couldn't beat them in the League Cup, even though we battered them for 90 minutes.

It's their cup final and it'll be the usual struggle. I'd take any result out of there, even a draw if necessary.

Why the hell are you referring back to the League Cup game?! One it was bloody ages ago and we have since gotten better, they have since gotten worse and we also were denied by the woodwork in that game.

You say yourself that we battered them for 90minutes then why would you expect any less than a win this time around when we are now smashing in goals for fun where as back then we were scraping wins by the skin of our teeth.

We couldn't beat West Brom in the league last season but we beat them in the cup, something that shouldn't happen by your logic. Every game is different and to write our chances of a win off based on a 1-0 victory they scraped against us when we battered them is pathetic.

We battered them in every aspect last time and failed to score any of our 17 odd shots, are you seriously going to write us of scoring at least a couple if we have that many shots again given the form that Suarez, Sturridge, Sterling and Coutinho are in?!

Madness. Not like it's a massive game where we are all fired up for a win or anything, then there's you sat in the corner quietly praying for a draw if possible.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #735: Feb 27, 2014 12:04:16 am
      I don't think anything short of 33 points from 11 games will guarantee us Champion's League next year. We may have six points between us and Spurs but it wouldn't take much for us to find ourselves suddenly outside the top four, especially with our dodgy defence.

Doesn't make sense at all. Dodgy defence or not, we are still 6 points ahead of 5th so short of 33 points can still guarantee us Champions League. We can afford a slip up, not much of one but it's not the end of the world as far as 4th place is concerned. However, let's go for the kill and make sure we have no slip ups and get 33 points from them 11 games.

Quick Reply