Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

If we only bought one player in Jan, who would you REPLACE in the team?

Read 21830 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      If we only bought one player in Jan, who would you REPLACE in the team?
      Dec 08, 2013 12:42:53 pm
       Simple question, say we've got 20 million quid to go out and buy a top player who is going to walk into our team. Who would you replace, or which position would you buy a player in that you think would give us the maximum bang for our buck and would instantly improve our team, making us more likely to challenge for the title. You can say exactly who you would buy if you want, but this is more about the position on the pitch that we would see the most improvement in. Please don't say "well I'd spend 5 mill on this, 6 mill on that" etc because that's not the point, the point is if we MADE ONE, BIG, QUALITY SIGNING.

My answer is I would replace Jordan Henderson with a real top class attacking midfielder. One that can and does go box to box but who also has real quality, scores and makes goals etc. I can't think of any of the top of my head, but I guess it's the kind of player the boss hoped that Mikiwhatsisface who went to Dortmund was going to be. We need other players too, but this one would instantly make us a different team IMHO. 
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Re: If we only bought one player in Jan, who would you REPLACE in the team?
      Reply #1: Dec 08, 2013 12:47:45 pm
      I'd replace Lucas for a real beast of defensive midfielder would some new Mascherano be available (now I don't see one likely to join us in january).
      Don't make me say what I didn't : Lucas is a good player I'd happily keep in the squad, but he's no longer one I'd start every game.

About Hendo, he's young, will only improve, and if he don't there's Allen to replace him (and Alberto to try too).
      The problem with Hendo (and Allen as well) is where they should play (as cm not am or lone dm imo).
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #2: Dec 08, 2013 12:50:02 pm
      I'd replace Lucas for a real beast of defensive midfielder would some new Mascherano be available (now I don't see one likely to join us in january).
      Don't make me say what I didn't : Lucas is a good player I'd happily keep in the squad, but he's no longer one I'd start every game.

About Hendo, he's young, will only improve, and if he don't there's Allen to replace him (and Alberto to try to). The problem with Hendo is where he should play (as a cm and not an am imo).

Good point. I initially thought Henderson but after reading your post I think yours is sensible to.

Make it easy, we need two. One for Lucas's position and one for Henderson's.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #3: Dec 08, 2013 12:51:16 pm
      Very simple for me, Jordan Henderson.

Someone who can contribute at both ends of the field, a rare player to find indeed and I'm not going to throw any names into the hat as the ones I'd mention are probably out of our reach.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #4: Dec 08, 2013 12:55:05 pm
      A good full back who can play either side is the most needed player. Flanagan could have been sent off 3 minutes into the game yesterday. He wasn't even watching his challenge. Johnson doesn't always perform well.  Many people don't think Cissokho will be liverpool quality. 
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #5: Dec 08, 2013 12:57:18 pm
      Very simple for me, Jordan Henderson.

Someone who can contribute at both ends of the field, a rare player to find indeed and I'm not going to throw any names into the hat as the ones I'd mention are probably out of our reach.

To me that's the one which we'd get immediate impact from mate. I think there is debate to be had whether or not we even need an out and out Lucas type player in lots of games, even then if push came to shove there are others in the squad who could possibly do it if we didn't fancy the Brazilian. Obviously we need a left back, but now Kelly's back I think we'll survive with Glen switching over.

No, for me if we had say Aaron Ramsey playing instead of Henderson (and I know he's not for sale and there are others probably better), we'd be some team then.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #6: Dec 08, 2013 01:00:26 pm
      I'd try and steal Ross Barkley from Everton, honestly think he's going to be the next big thing in England, reminds me so much of a young Steven Gerrard and that says a lot about his talent, he's a bit of a rough but diamond, but he's getting better with every game, he has the energy to get up and down the field and his passing is not too shabby either, Everton are prone to selling their prized assets for big money.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #7: Dec 08, 2013 01:08:02 pm
      I think we need more goals from midfield, so I would replace Henderson, but I think Henderson is a good squad player who would still be handy to have on the bench for his versatility and energy, just not a regular starter. I believe we could replace Henderson and Lucas for better quite easily, the problem is going to be trying to find someone to replace Gerrard when the time comes.   
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1029 
      Reply #8: Dec 08, 2013 01:08:36 pm
      I'd try and steal Ross Barkley from Everton, honestly think he's going to be the next big thing in England, reminds me so much of a young Steven Gerrard and that says a lot about his talent, he's a bit of a rough but diamond, but he's getting better with every game, he has the energy to get up and down the field and his passing is not too shabby either, Everton are prone to selling their prized assets for big money.
      Exactly how I would describe him,  a young Steven Gerrard. Much as I don't like to admit it, he is a quality player, retains the ball very well, sometimes impossible to get the ball off him, similar to Dembele, who also would be a great signing.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #9: Dec 08, 2013 01:17:13 pm
      I think we need more goals from midfield, so I would replace Henderson, but I think Henderson is a good squad player who would still be handy to have on the bench for his versatility and energy, just not a regular starter. I believe we could replace Henderson and Lucas for better quite easily, the problem is going to be trying to find someone to replace Gerrard when the time comes.

Again Ross Barkley, he can be the fulcrum of a midfield for the next 10/12 years.

Under previous managers we've been shy of getting proper English talent,as an example Houllier had the chance of Lampard before he signed for signed for Chelsea.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #10: Dec 08, 2013 01:27:44 pm
      Again Ross Barkley, he can be the fulcrum of a midfield for the next 10/12 years.

Under previous managers we've been shy of getting proper English talent,as an example Houllier had the chance of Lampard before he signed for signed for Chelsea.

Yeah I've been very impressed with what I've seen of Barkley. Do you really think we could steal him off the bitters though?
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #11: Dec 08, 2013 01:34:50 pm
      I'd go for a midfielder, but for me it is not about replacing 1 player. More so we can rotate Lucas, Allen,Henderson and Gerrard for the remaining two places. Just depends on the opponent and which player is on top of his game at the time.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #12: Dec 08, 2013 01:41:06 pm

Careful, you can't go saying good things about an Everton player on here!

I agree though, he was a level above most other players at youth level and I think he'll get there in the full team before long.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #13: Dec 08, 2013 01:48:52 pm

I just don't see Everton selling him to us mate.... not for anywhere near what his value is anyway.

I think we might have a decent chance of signing Fabregas, who would be my pick.
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #14: Dec 08, 2013 01:51:55 pm
      Yerp Id agree with Henderson, dont get me wrong hes got stamina an work rate as good as anyone, but against the big teams you can tell he just lacks that bit of quality, need another great creative player like Coutinho, but one who can also get back an do abit of the dirty work.

Think Mata would be ideal on the creative side of things, but questions are about his defensive duties and more importantly would he even come here.

Heard tonnes of rumours already about who Rodgers is looking after, heard a left-back, centre-midfielder, attacking-midfielder, winger and a striker, I guess only time will tell, as long as the results keep tickling over an were still in and around the top you could argue we can carry on with the team we have, but I wouldnt rely on that with the injuries weve had soo far this season.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #15: Dec 08, 2013 01:56:05 pm
      Be a left back for me as it's our weakest position presently, even with Enrique fit. 
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #16: Dec 08, 2013 02:29:16 pm
      Hernanes in for Henderson. He'll be free at seasons end if he doesn't sign a new contract. Could swoop in for a small fee in January.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #17: Dec 08, 2013 02:30:32 pm
      for me, it has to be a midfield that we are buying.  even with our LB issues, our midfield situation is more dire.   BRs playstyle is to have a fluid midfield that can support defense and then move the ball upfield to support the forward. I have said it before elsewhere but if you look at the midfields of the top 6 teams, ours would arguably be the weakest in terms of supporting goals during open play (so dont count set pieces or pks).  the teams that have done really well against us have typically  played a certain way.  big powerful striker to harass our defense and play man to man to nullify suarez and sturridge... we dont have too much firepower after that.

i would replace hendo (and i am a huge fan of his). 
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #18: Dec 08, 2013 02:36:30 pm
      Henderson because we need attacking threat from midfield and outside of set pieces we simply don't have that and over rely on our strikers. 
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,487 posts | 231 
      Reply #19: Dec 08, 2013 02:44:00 pm
      Yerp Id agree with Henderson, dont get me wrong hes got stamina an work rate as good as anyone, but against the big teams you can tell he just lacks that bit of quality, need another great creative player like Coutinho, but one who can also get back an do abit of the dirty work.

Think Mata would be ideal on the creative side of things, but questions are about his defensive duties and more importantly would he even come here.

Heard tonnes of rumours already about who Rodgers is looking after, heard a left-back, centre-midfielder, attacking-midfielder, winger and a striker, I guess only time will tell, as long as the results keep tickling over an were still in and around the top you could argue we can carry on with the team we have, but I wouldnt rely on that with the injuries weve had soo far this season.

Mata is an attacking midfielder, he doesn't need to be thinking of defensive duties. And hes not exactly the laziest midfielder in the league. Still don't understand what Mourinho has against him. But I think its a Mourinho trait - creates enemies for no good reason. He did the same with Casillias
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #20: Dec 08, 2013 02:48:41 pm
      For me ONE BIG SIGNING, and the fee of £20M, and the month of JANUARY, just don't add up.

Who would come to a team not in a European competition in January?

Why do we have to replace? Can we not just expand and complement what we have.

Personally the area that needs strengthening at the present moment is defence.
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,768 posts | 570 
      Reply #21: Dec 08, 2013 02:55:18 pm
      Clearly with Luis\Coutinio and Danny we have enough firepower, its the other end that worries me. So yes a defensive midfielder would be ideal, but someone like Masch isn't going to be available. I did like the big guy at West Ham - Diame or Demble from Spurs...not world class but an improvement on what we have.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #22: Dec 08, 2013 03:03:46 pm
      Personally the area that needs strengthening at the present moment is defence.

I think that is more a tactical problem rather than the players, although if we have any money left after buying Fabregas, a defensive midfielder and a left back would be nice.

Quick Reply