Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

AVB Sacked

Read 7072 times
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      AVB Sacked
      Dec 16, 2013 11:33:01 am
      Tottenham sack manager Andre Villas-Boas
      Tottenham have sacked manager Andre Villas-Boas in the wake of the club's 5-0 thrashing by Liverpool.

The defeat by the Reds on Sunday was the club's worst at White Hart Lane in 16 years and left Spurs seventh in the Premier League.
      Villas-Boas, 36, took over at Tottenham in July 2012.

"The club can announce that agreement has been reached with head coach Andre Villas-Boas for the termination of his services," said a Spurs statement.

"The decision was by mutual consent and in the interests of all parties."
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25397167

Not too sure this is the right decision TBH  :P

Looks like splashing the cash in the summer £100m on multiple players is not the way to go.

Oh well after they have poached multiple players that we were close to signing, all I can say is tough sh*t.

Tottenham in total disarray. Merry Christmas yer filthy animals.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: AVB Sacked
      Reply #1: Dec 16, 2013 11:39:37 am
      Who'd have thought that being only 2 points ahead of Man United would get you the sack. ;)
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #2: Dec 16, 2013 11:40:25 am
      Not too sure this is the right decision TBH  :P

Looks like splashing the cash in the summer £100m on multiple players is not the way to go.

Oh well after they have poached multiple players that we were close to signing, all I can say is tough sh*t.

Tottenham in total disarray. Merry Christmas yer filthy animals.
      Can't argue with that.  >:D

"Technical Director"/Director of football signs the players he fancies - too many to assimilate in a short time - they don't immediately 'gel' and it's the manager's fault. Brilliant.

I mentioned in another thread: with another shower of whores in disarray we have a great opportunity to drive home our advantage in the January window.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3951 
      Reply #3: Dec 16, 2013 11:41:26 am
      That 0-5 battering has neutered the fuckers, the supporters, the club and the players are left with no spirit, no manager and no balls.
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      • Luis Suarez could nutmeg a mermaid
      Reply #4: Dec 16, 2013 11:42:07 am
      AVB was very overrated, did sh*te at Chelsea and now Spurs he was just based off one good season at Porto.

I've heard Martin Jol and Steve Clarke are after a job haha  :lmao:
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #5: Dec 16, 2013 11:44:06 am
      Hardly a surprise after being given a footballing lesson yesterday  >:D

Selling your best players and buying a new team with the proceeds doesn't work  :lmao:
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #6: Dec 16, 2013 11:59:55 am
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #7: Dec 16, 2013 12:05:01 pm
      Who'd have thought that being only 2 points ahead of Man United would get you the sack.

Just about to post similar.

This time last season Spurs were on 26 points and 13 pts behind United at the top.

This season they are on 27 points, are closing in on a Wembley trip in the League Cup, won their group in the Europa League, are 2 points ahead of last years Champions and are what - a mere 4 points from the top four?

I can entirely understand when some managers get sacked - but there seems to be a major mental disconnect at Spurs.

Can they not remember that they sold a world class player and basically attempted to embed about 8 or 9 foreigners into their squad.  And to be fair - their form this season in all competitions has been relatively good considering this upheaval.

Major problem for Spurs it that their owners believe they are a Champions League club when they quite simply aren't. 

Harsh on AVB - but I think his abrasive attitude is probably as much to do with this as results.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #8: Dec 16, 2013 12:06:06 pm
      Knew he'd be getting sack when in his press confrence he started being criptic basically suggesting Baldini bought players he didn't want.
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      Reply #9: Dec 16, 2013 12:07:59 pm
      Not seen much of Lamela or Eriksen, are they injured or really just that sh*te?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #10: Dec 16, 2013 12:25:50 pm

This time last season Spurs were on 26 points and 13 pts behind United at the top.

This season they are on 27 points, are closing in on a Wembley trip in the League Cup, won their group in the Europa League, are 2 points ahead of last years Champions and are what - a mere 4 points from the top four?

I can entirely understand when some managers get sacked - but there seems to be a major mental disconnect at Spurs.

Can they not remember that they sold a world class player and basically attempted to embed about 8 or 9 foreigners into their squad.  And to be fair - their form this season in all competitions has been relatively good considering this upheaval.

Major problem for Spurs it that their owners believe they are a Champions League club when they quite simply aren't. 

Harsh on AVB - but I think his abrasive attitude is probably as much to do with this as results.

Lose the player that carried you the last two seasons.
      Have a mass influx of players.

It would be reasonable to give that team time to adjust.
      Premier League managers don't get that luxury.

I think the average managerial appointment is less than
      2 seasons.

F***ing madness.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #11: Dec 16, 2013 12:28:59 pm
      Stupid decision from Spurs. They had a couple of embarrassing results, fair enough. Overall though they're doing relatively well, they spent virtually nothing in the Summer and have progressed slightly on the year before, especially in the cups.

Selling £100 million and buying £100m does not improve a team unless you're lucky a point that is laboured time and again. You don't sell your best players if you want to win things, it's a simple rule.

As for hanging AVB out to dry, well it's probably got plenty to do with the likes of Lamela starting on the bench every game, but when he's been sh*te, what is he meant to do? I actually had some respect for him not playing him, these players need time to adjust and 'gel', judging him now and sacking him now is dumb. Well played Spurs, well played.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #12: Dec 16, 2013 12:30:32 pm

It's a huge knee jerk - I guess getting twatted 5-0 (and by 6 at mancs) in his own back yard scared Levy shitless.

In truth we were better than the sum of our parts and Spuds were far worse. We were a team who played together in a system they were confident in, Spuds were not. We also haven't tried to shoehorn 8 new players into our squad in one transfer window. Feel for AVB because he obviously didn't have any real say in who came in, and in truth he's not doing that badly in a very competitive league. As you say JD they're actually doing relatively well, if you put aside the 6-0, 0-3 and 0-5 defeats.

Spuds strike me as a team that need cohesion and organisation, and their lack of those qualities has been exposed a few times this season and they've been on the end of some heavy defeats. Still, I think Boas has been made a scapegoat.

Wonder who theyve got on their list of replacements??
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #13: Dec 16, 2013 12:32:29 pm
      I was massively backing AVB for the Liverpool job after Kenny's sacking with no idea or no real enthusiasm to see Brendan take the job. Since then there can be no doubts that we landed the perfect man but despite his disgraceful sacking I still believe him to be a worthy manager who could still make it at the top. When they brought in Baldini it instantly undermined AVB's work at the club and as JD and racer have pointed out there is no just reason to sack him. Yesterday must have been an appalling day for them yet it's as knee jerk a reaction as you can get.

With Redknapp going for similarly unjust reasons maybe the Tottenham fans could suggest that Daniel Levy sacks himself. The man is clearly a cretin of the highest order who has done more to hinder Tottenham's fortunes than help them.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,178 posts | 1630 
      Reply #14: Dec 16, 2013 12:33:37 pm
      Feel sorry for AVB, I think he seems like a good guy who is passionate about what he does.

Saying that, if this throws Spurs even further off course then all the better. As said, now we need to move a few gears ahead of them and rule out another competitor for us this season.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #15: Dec 16, 2013 12:37:16 pm

I agree with that.
      The main argument against him seems to be that they spent too much money - Lawrenson even went on to say on MOTD that they signed "too many players" - with little return. It's ridiculously early to judge all their signings though, even if I do have doubts about some of them, and it was always going to be a period of transition to them, from Bale-dependence to building a new side with the money of his sale. 

Also, apparently in a post match interview he hinted at the fact that not all the players were signed by him. There might be some discomfort between the parties involved in the football decisions there and the weak link paid the price. Two heavy defeats (I would be fuming if LFC ever lost by 6-0 and 5-0, mind you in the same season and one of them at home) certainly contributed to his demise as well.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #16: Dec 16, 2013 12:45:46 pm
      As for hanging AVB out to dry, well it's probably got plenty to do with the likes of Lamela starting on the bench every game, but when he's been sh*te, what is he meant to do? I actually had some respect for him not playing him, these players need time to adjust and 'gel', judging him now and sacking him now is dumb.
      Nail on the head there Luke. It seems to me that Levy has backed the wrong horse here. It was him who brought Baldini in and gave him free rein. Nine players, no matter how good, aren't all going to hit the ground running; they need time to assimilate; time to gel.

Having brought Baldini in and watched on as his players weren't getting picked Levy's hardly going to admit that he got it wrong. Much better to blame the manager. A manager who, by the way, had the most points per game of any Spurs manager in P.L. history. Joke of a club.

Their stupidity should be our gain where chaos reigns.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #17: Dec 16, 2013 01:00:29 pm
      Fickle fans, fickle club. Couldn't be more happier for them, reverting back to type. Jumped up Johnny come lately's.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #18: Dec 16, 2013 01:04:56 pm

Booing their team at half time was ridiculous. Spurs fans really are some of the worst in the league.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #19: Dec 16, 2013 01:06:00 pm
      Thankfully Rafa got the Napoli job.

Obviously a terrible decision but I don't rate him as much as others and it helps unsettle a club that we're in direct competition with.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #20: Dec 16, 2013 01:07:08 pm
      It's a huge knee jerk - I guess getting twatted 5-0 (and by 6 at mancs) in his own back yard scared Levy shitless.

Man City can do that to anybody.

And as for our result - red card, no subs left, playing in midweek - they did all affect yesterdays scoreline IMO.

Anyway, I'm sure Daniel Levy will sort it all out.

insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #21: Dec 16, 2013 01:07:27 pm
      I do like AVB but he basically looked like a dead man walking at the press conference.

It was an impossible job with so many players bought in (by Baldini) and a demanding Daniel Levy looking down at you from the stand.

I know this may surprise a few people, but I'd love us to make a cheeky bid for Gylfi Sigurdsson (I can see him being a good long-term replacement for Stevie Gerrard).
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      Reply #22: Dec 16, 2013 01:08:19 pm
      Booing their team at half time was ridiculous. Spurs fans really are some of the worst in the league.

They take after their North London neighbours.

Quick Reply