Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

AVB Sacked

Read 7076 times
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      AVB Sacked
      Dec 16, 2013 11:33:01 am
      Tottenham sack manager Andre Villas-Boas
      Tottenham have sacked manager Andre Villas-Boas in the wake of the club's 5-0 thrashing by Liverpool.

The defeat by the Reds on Sunday was the club's worst at White Hart Lane in 16 years and left Spurs seventh in the Premier League.
      Villas-Boas, 36, took over at Tottenham in July 2012.

"The club can announce that agreement has been reached with head coach Andre Villas-Boas for the termination of his services," said a Spurs statement.

"The decision was by mutual consent and in the interests of all parties."
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25397167

Not too sure this is the right decision TBH  :P

Looks like splashing the cash in the summer £100m on multiple players is not the way to go.

Oh well after they have poached multiple players that we were close to signing, all I can say is tough sh*t.

Tottenham in total disarray. Merry Christmas yer filthy animals.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: AVB Sacked
      Reply #1: Dec 16, 2013 11:39:37 am
      Who'd have thought that being only 2 points ahead of Man United would get you the sack. ;)
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #2: Dec 16, 2013 11:40:25 am
      Not too sure this is the right decision TBH  :P

Looks like splashing the cash in the summer £100m on multiple players is not the way to go.

Oh well after they have poached multiple players that we were close to signing, all I can say is tough sh*t.

Tottenham in total disarray. Merry Christmas yer filthy animals.
      Can't argue with that.  >:D

"Technical Director"/Director of football signs the players he fancies - too many to assimilate in a short time - they don't immediately 'gel' and it's the manager's fault. Brilliant.

I mentioned in another thread: with another shower of whores in disarray we have a great opportunity to drive home our advantage in the January window.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #3: Dec 16, 2013 11:41:26 am
      That 0-5 battering has neutered the fuckers, the supporters, the club and the players are left with no spirit, no manager and no balls.
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      • Luis Suarez could nutmeg a mermaid
      Reply #4: Dec 16, 2013 11:42:07 am
      AVB was very overrated, did sh*te at Chelsea and now Spurs he was just based off one good season at Porto.

I've heard Martin Jol and Steve Clarke are after a job haha  :lmao:
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #5: Dec 16, 2013 11:44:06 am
      Hardly a surprise after being given a footballing lesson yesterday  >:D

Selling your best players and buying a new team with the proceeds doesn't work  :lmao:
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #6: Dec 16, 2013 11:59:55 am
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #7: Dec 16, 2013 12:05:01 pm
      Who'd have thought that being only 2 points ahead of Man United would get you the sack.

Just about to post similar.

This time last season Spurs were on 26 points and 13 pts behind United at the top.

This season they are on 27 points, are closing in on a Wembley trip in the League Cup, won their group in the Europa League, are 2 points ahead of last years Champions and are what - a mere 4 points from the top four?

I can entirely understand when some managers get sacked - but there seems to be a major mental disconnect at Spurs.

Can they not remember that they sold a world class player and basically attempted to embed about 8 or 9 foreigners into their squad.  And to be fair - their form this season in all competitions has been relatively good considering this upheaval.

Major problem for Spurs it that their owners believe they are a Champions League club when they quite simply aren't. 

Harsh on AVB - but I think his abrasive attitude is probably as much to do with this as results.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #8: Dec 16, 2013 12:06:06 pm
      Knew he'd be getting sack when in his press confrence he started being criptic basically suggesting Baldini bought players he didn't want.
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      Reply #9: Dec 16, 2013 12:07:59 pm
      Not seen much of Lamela or Eriksen, are they injured or really just that sh*te?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #10: Dec 16, 2013 12:25:50 pm

This time last season Spurs were on 26 points and 13 pts behind United at the top.

This season they are on 27 points, are closing in on a Wembley trip in the League Cup, won their group in the Europa League, are 2 points ahead of last years Champions and are what - a mere 4 points from the top four?

I can entirely understand when some managers get sacked - but there seems to be a major mental disconnect at Spurs.

Can they not remember that they sold a world class player and basically attempted to embed about 8 or 9 foreigners into their squad.  And to be fair - their form this season in all competitions has been relatively good considering this upheaval.

Major problem for Spurs it that their owners believe they are a Champions League club when they quite simply aren't. 

Harsh on AVB - but I think his abrasive attitude is probably as much to do with this as results.

Lose the player that carried you the last two seasons.
      Have a mass influx of players.

It would be reasonable to give that team time to adjust.
      Premier League managers don't get that luxury.

I think the average managerial appointment is less than
      2 seasons.

F***ing madness.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #11: Dec 16, 2013 12:28:59 pm
      Stupid decision from Spurs. They had a couple of embarrassing results, fair enough. Overall though they're doing relatively well, they spent virtually nothing in the Summer and have progressed slightly on the year before, especially in the cups.

Selling £100 million and buying £100m does not improve a team unless you're lucky a point that is laboured time and again. You don't sell your best players if you want to win things, it's a simple rule.

As for hanging AVB out to dry, well it's probably got plenty to do with the likes of Lamela starting on the bench every game, but when he's been sh*te, what is he meant to do? I actually had some respect for him not playing him, these players need time to adjust and 'gel', judging him now and sacking him now is dumb. Well played Spurs, well played.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #12: Dec 16, 2013 12:30:32 pm

It's a huge knee jerk - I guess getting twatted 5-0 (and by 6 at mancs) in his own back yard scared Levy shitless.

In truth we were better than the sum of our parts and Spuds were far worse. We were a team who played together in a system they were confident in, Spuds were not. We also haven't tried to shoehorn 8 new players into our squad in one transfer window. Feel for AVB because he obviously didn't have any real say in who came in, and in truth he's not doing that badly in a very competitive league. As you say JD they're actually doing relatively well, if you put aside the 6-0, 0-3 and 0-5 defeats.

Spuds strike me as a team that need cohesion and organisation, and their lack of those qualities has been exposed a few times this season and they've been on the end of some heavy defeats. Still, I think Boas has been made a scapegoat.

Wonder who theyve got on their list of replacements??
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #13: Dec 16, 2013 12:32:29 pm
      I was massively backing AVB for the Liverpool job after Kenny's sacking with no idea or no real enthusiasm to see Brendan take the job. Since then there can be no doubts that we landed the perfect man but despite his disgraceful sacking I still believe him to be a worthy manager who could still make it at the top. When they brought in Baldini it instantly undermined AVB's work at the club and as JD and racer have pointed out there is no just reason to sack him. Yesterday must have been an appalling day for them yet it's as knee jerk a reaction as you can get.

With Redknapp going for similarly unjust reasons maybe the Tottenham fans could suggest that Daniel Levy sacks himself. The man is clearly a cretin of the highest order who has done more to hinder Tottenham's fortunes than help them.
      RedWilly

• 9,186 posts | 1636 
      Reply #14: Dec 16, 2013 12:33:37 pm
      Feel sorry for AVB, I think he seems like a good guy who is passionate about what he does.

Saying that, if this throws Spurs even further off course then all the better. As said, now we need to move a few gears ahead of them and rule out another competitor for us this season.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #15: Dec 16, 2013 12:37:16 pm

I agree with that.
      The main argument against him seems to be that they spent too much money - Lawrenson even went on to say on MOTD that they signed "too many players" - with little return. It's ridiculously early to judge all their signings though, even if I do have doubts about some of them, and it was always going to be a period of transition to them, from Bale-dependence to building a new side with the money of his sale. 

Also, apparently in a post match interview he hinted at the fact that not all the players were signed by him. There might be some discomfort between the parties involved in the football decisions there and the weak link paid the price. Two heavy defeats (I would be fuming if LFC ever lost by 6-0 and 5-0, mind you in the same season and one of them at home) certainly contributed to his demise as well.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #16: Dec 16, 2013 12:45:46 pm
      As for hanging AVB out to dry, well it's probably got plenty to do with the likes of Lamela starting on the bench every game, but when he's been sh*te, what is he meant to do? I actually had some respect for him not playing him, these players need time to adjust and 'gel', judging him now and sacking him now is dumb.
      Nail on the head there Luke. It seems to me that Levy has backed the wrong horse here. It was him who brought Baldini in and gave him free rein. Nine players, no matter how good, aren't all going to hit the ground running; they need time to assimilate; time to gel.

Having brought Baldini in and watched on as his players weren't getting picked Levy's hardly going to admit that he got it wrong. Much better to blame the manager. A manager who, by the way, had the most points per game of any Spurs manager in P.L. history. Joke of a club.

Their stupidity should be our gain where chaos reigns.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #17: Dec 16, 2013 01:00:29 pm
      Fickle fans, fickle club. Couldn't be more happier for them, reverting back to type. Jumped up Johnny come lately's.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #18: Dec 16, 2013 01:04:56 pm

Booing their team at half time was ridiculous. Spurs fans really are some of the worst in the league.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #19: Dec 16, 2013 01:06:00 pm
      Thankfully Rafa got the Napoli job.

Obviously a terrible decision but I don't rate him as much as others and it helps unsettle a club that we're in direct competition with.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #20: Dec 16, 2013 01:07:08 pm
      It's a huge knee jerk - I guess getting twatted 5-0 (and by 6 at mancs) in his own back yard scared Levy shitless.

Man City can do that to anybody.

And as for our result - red card, no subs left, playing in midweek - they did all affect yesterdays scoreline IMO.

Anyway, I'm sure Daniel Levy will sort it all out.

insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #21: Dec 16, 2013 01:07:27 pm
      I do like AVB but he basically looked like a dead man walking at the press conference.

It was an impossible job with so many players bought in (by Baldini) and a demanding Daniel Levy looking down at you from the stand.

I know this may surprise a few people, but I'd love us to make a cheeky bid for Gylfi Sigurdsson (I can see him being a good long-term replacement for Stevie Gerrard).
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      Reply #22: Dec 16, 2013 01:08:19 pm
      Booing their team at half time was ridiculous. Spurs fans really are some of the worst in the league.

They take after their North London neighbours.
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #23: Dec 16, 2013 01:08:44 pm

And the fact that the stands were emptying fast as soon as the 71st minute - shocking!!!
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      Reply #24: Dec 16, 2013 01:11:46 pm
      That is what you call putting the final nail in the coffin, made our victory that bit sweeter.  :D
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #25: Dec 16, 2013 01:16:08 pm
      That is what you call putting the final nail in the coffin, made our victory that bit sweeter.  :D

Don't think it's added or took anything away from our victory.  The only enjoyment from this is separate - watching another competitor give themselves a needless headache.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #26: Dec 16, 2013 01:23:53 pm
      I do like AVB but he basically looked like a dead man walking at the press conference.

It was an impossible job with so many players bought in (by Baldini) and a demanding Daniel Levy looking down at you from the stand.

I know this may surprise a few people, but I'd love us to make a cheeky bid for Gylfi Sigurdsson (I can see him being a good long-term replacement for Stevie Gerrard).

Nah. Sigurdsson had his chance to come here and shunned us for them (or more money to be more specific). Looking a right tit now.
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #27: Dec 16, 2013 01:32:03 pm
      Nah. Sigurdsson had his chance to come here and shunned us for them (or more money to be more specific). Looking a right tit now.

I agree and I had a laugh at his expense yesterday in terms of where we are compared to Spuds.

But I do think he could be a very good player for us. He scores goals, drives from midfield and gets stuck in. He and Kevin Strootman are perhaps the two players I can see who could take over the Gerrard mantle in a season or two.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #28: Dec 16, 2013 01:33:31 pm

Yup, had a fair few of them in my ears down the years and this is one thing that is a dead cert with them, they are fickle to the bone. Fair weather twunts.
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      Reply #29: Dec 16, 2013 02:04:41 pm
      I was massively backing AVB for the Liverpool job after Kenny's sacking with no idea or no real enthusiasm to see Brendan take the job. Since then there can be no doubts that we landed the perfect man but despite his disgraceful sacking I still believe him to be a worthy manager who could still make it at the top. When they brought in Baldini it instantly undermined AVB's work at the club and as JD and racer have pointed out there is no just reason to sack him. Yesterday must have been an appalling day for them yet it's as knee jerk a reaction as you can get.

With Redknapp going for similarly unjust reasons maybe the Tottenham fans could suggest that Daniel Levy sacks himself. The man is clearly a cretin of the highest order who has done more to hinder Tottenham's fortunes than help them.

Agree mate, I massively backed AVB for the Pool job aswell, desperately wanted him. Looks like we dodged a fiery bullet on that one.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,172 posts | 4908 
      Reply #30: Dec 16, 2013 02:27:44 pm
      Harsh decision that I feel.

But anything that disrupts those around us I'll take right now.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #31: Dec 16, 2013 02:35:00 pm
      Harsh decision that I feel.

But anything that disrupts those around us I'll take right now.

Is right mate, you wouldn't refuse an own goal would you?
      Bier
      Reply #32: Dec 16, 2013 03:01:30 pm
      Their problem wasn't so much their position or points this season I think, but they've been playing dreadful. I'd even say they've been getting worse as the season progresses. And they've been very lucky with penalties, and some undeserved wins and late goals.

Their main problem is Soldado I think. I like him but he's a sub top striker, a poacher who doesn't get involved in a play alot, and he's already 28. They could've done better for that money. And then Lamela ofcourse, who knows what's going on there, he was brilliant at Roma.

Still, very harsh. They should have given him untill the end of the season at least, as better option could be unattainable right now anyway.

Anyway, here's to us getting more managers fired!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #33: Dec 16, 2013 04:16:04 pm
      Their main problem is Soldado I think. I like him but he's a sub top striker, a poacher who doesn't get involved in a play alot, and he's already 28. They could've done better for that money.

100% agree, been saying that for a while. Soldado is better than he's been playing for Spurs lately, but still, he's never going to contribute a lot to their play, only finish them off - and at the moment, he's not even doing this. They paid a hell lot of money for him, especially if you consider his age. His backup is Defoe, whom I've never been a big fan of, and is past his best... so they clearly have a problem there.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #34: Dec 16, 2013 04:37:56 pm
      Obviously Daniel Levy doesn't think much of us by sacking AVB after our match. Why not last week after their Citeh trashing? If it was Chavs of Arsenal, you bet he would wait another week.

I feel sorry for AVB that with his squad's quality, he can't make them play together.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #35: Dec 16, 2013 05:19:12 pm
      Failed at the Chavs and now the Spuds, sweet! Can't stand the arrogant pr**k, trying to be too much like Maureen
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 2811 
      Reply #36: Dec 16, 2013 05:20:06 pm
      Feeling sorry for him right now - that's two harsh sackings in two years. Hope he has some success in Europe, seems like a nice guy and there aren't many of them around in the Premier League right now.

Not that many choices for Levy to choose from, maybe Laudrup?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #37: Dec 16, 2013 05:25:00 pm
      Feeling sorry for him right now - that's two harsh sackings in two years. Hope he has some success in Europe, seems like a nice guy and there aren't many of them around in the Premier League right now.

Not that many choices for Levy to choose from, maybe Laudrup?

Would be an excellent choice for them.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #38: Dec 16, 2013 06:19:18 pm
      How about Harry and his dog.  I am sure he would want a lot of changes to the current squad.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,288 posts | 763 
      Reply #39: Dec 16, 2013 07:26:50 pm
      Harsh on AVB, considering Spurs are still in two cup competitions and still not that badly placed in the league, although no great achievement being a couple of points ahead of Utd, who have seemingly been turned into a mid table side by their new mid table manager.
      yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Reply #40: Dec 16, 2013 09:05:33 pm
      They should consider a 352 once they sort out their left back issue in january

Lloris
      Walker Kaboul Cheriches Vertonghen ??
      Paulinho Sandro, Erikssen
      Defoe Soldado

bench Friedel Rose dawson dembele Lamela Lennon Sigurdsson

To think their squad also contains Holtby Adebayor Capoue Townsend and Chadli is mental ..
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #41: Dec 16, 2013 10:58:43 pm
      AVB's biggest mistake this season was choosing Soldado over Defoe. Defoe is a natural goal scorer and has proven himself season after season, Soldado has 3 league goals is it? All from the spot.

I would say AVB failed with his signing but I think Baldini had a bigger say over the signings than him, especially Lamela. Record signing who can't get off the bench and when he does he only shows that he should still be sat on it.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #42: Dec 16, 2013 11:03:14 pm
      Hearing a few names touted to replace AVB with Glenn Hoddle the most touted so far. Glenn Hoddle? Really? By his account AVB must have been a right c**t in his previous life to deserve the sack.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #43: Dec 17, 2013 12:11:34 am
      Interesting Telegraph piece highlighting internal friction and frustration at the club.

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy and manager André Villas-Boas had become distant

Manager's summer plans had been rejected and it was a surprise he was not given more time at White Hart Lane

There was no common ground between André Villas-Boas and Daniel Levy as they met briefly after Tottenham Hotspur's 5-0 humiliation at home against Liverpool. And there had to be if they were to continue. Both men were hurt and as Levy sought answers, Villas-Boas bristled.

The conversation turned to whether Spurs could employ two strikers, for example, and Villas-Boas interpreted this as a suggestion that he should play Emmanuel Adebayor who he wanted out of the club, who had been a source of friction and who has been a crushing disappointment, despite being the highest earner. The conversation was not constructive.

Quickly the decision was taken to reconvene yesterday morning and, shortly after 10am, Villas-Boas and Levy decided that the time was right for the head coach to go. Technically he was not sacked and, in truth, the sense around Villas-Boas was that he wanted to go and was relieved it was over. He and Levy have never been, according to a source close to the Portuguese, a “dynamic duo”. By the end the relationship between the pair was ever more remote; it was not a meeting of minds.

That relationship had started awkwardly with the sale of Luka Modric in the summer of 2012 and the failure to sign Joao Moutinho at the 11th hour as his replacement – after apparently haggling over €500,000 on a €31 million (£26  million) bid – and it rarely improved after that.

Villas-Boas lost Modric one summer, Gareth Bale the next – even if £107  million was spent following the latter’s departure. He had called for evolution; he got revolution.

Villas-Boas was devastated not to acquire Moutinho and believed that he struggled to get any of the players he wanted signed by Spurs. It is a long and perhaps, at times, unrealistic list but included Oscar, Fernandinho, Willian, Leandro Damiao, Henrik Mkhitaryan, Fabio Coentrao, Hulk and David Villa. The latter was even taken on a tour of Spurs’ impressive new training ground but decided to join Atletico Madrid.

Levy did not interfere. Far from it. He does allow his staff to get on with their jobs but there is, on occasions, frustration that he appears to be a ‘numbers man’.

Not that Villas-Boas, a bright, likeable coach, was blameless. He is far warmer than his public image presents, with innovative ideas, but at times he is unrelenting, The 36-year-old had his fingers burnt at Chelsea and after an initial feeling that he would not return to English football he landed the Spurs job.

He had learnt important lessons. Villas-Boas needed to improve his man-management skills and become more flexible – and did so – and of all the criticism he has faced the claim that he had blamed the players or lost the dressing room is the one he refutes most vehemently.

However, the biggest irony is that here is a young coach who is firmly committed to attacking, exciting football – and wants to entertain – but was struggling to translate that on to the pitch. Again, though, it may well have just been a case of giving him time.

There was also a fractious relationship with Tim Sherwood, Spurs’ technical co-ordinator, and highly regarded by Levy, while it always remained unclear as to how effective an assistant manager Steffen Freund was, and who pushed for him to be hired.

The tension increased over the summer when Paris St-Germain asked for, and were granted, permission to speak to Villas-Boas to become their new head coach. Villas-Boas decided to stay but felt that Levy would have happily pocketed the £10 million it would have taken PSG to release him from his Spurs contract.

That contract, too, quickly became a bone of contention. Villas-Boas thought that Spurs might have improved his deal – which had one more year left to run after this season – after he showed loyalty and rejected PSG, but instead there was silence. He did not ask for a better deal but also, having lobbied for the appointment of director of football Franco Baldini, he thought, perhaps wrongly, perhaps naively, that it would be a sign that Spurs believed in him.

That is often the way with Villas-Boas. He rejects the comparisons with his former mentor Jose Mourinho but there are undoubted similarities. One of Mourinho’s mantras is that if everyone wears the same shirt then they should “show the same face” and all pull in the same direction. Villas-Boas believed that also. He also accepts that he is ‘Porto school’ – a product of the club he grew up supporting and went on to coach and may now return to as coach. At Porto there is a strong support system and a very clear way of operating. Villas-Boas did not believe he had that at Spurs.

A pinch point arrived last May on Spurs’ post-season tour to the Bahamas which was also used as an opportunity for Villas-Boas, Levy and the club’s owner Joe Lewis, who lives on the islands, to meet. Top of the agenda was Bale’s future, with Villas-Boas urging the club to keep him for one more year – and add Hulk and Villa to create a new forward line. Villas-Boas wanted that evolution – not a revolution – at Spurs in the playing staff but was also pushing for off-the-pitch changes, including the hiring of Baldini and the overhaul of the medical department. The signings were rejected and, of course, Bale was sold to Real Madrid for £85 million but only, in fairness, after he had pushed for the move. Spurs held talks with Manchester United, who were willing to pay £100 million and might also have taken Adebayor, but Bale was adamant that he only wanted to go to Madrid.

Baldini got to work in the transfer market with Villas-Boas happy with the pursuit of Paulinho, Roberto Soldado and Etienne Capoue but unsure that he wanted a radical overhaul. But Spurs reasoned they could act quickly and decisively to reinvest the Bale money and use the opportunity to create a new squad.

It was a gamble. And it also needed the pieces to fall together but, more importantly, a collective belief that this was not only the right thing to do but that Villas-Boas would be given the time to make it work – and he was the right man to make it work.

By now his relationship with Adebayor had deteriorated to such an extent that the striker was not to train with the first-team squad. Benoît Assou-Ekotto also had to be moved on and went to Queens Park Rangers on loan after a deal to sell him to Fenerbahce collapsed, to Villas-Boas’s frustration. Within minutes of the 5-0 defeat to Liverpool, Assou-Ekotto posted a picture on a social-network site of him and Adebayor holding up five fingers.

Rightly or wrongly, Villas-Boas felt the club had not backed him on Adebayor while Baldini continued to negotiate with Real president Fiorentino Pérez.

A deal was in place and Spurs decided to spend rather than bank the Bale cash – and with their seven signings, plus other departures, they ended the transfer window approximately £10 million up when fees and savings on wages were taken into account.

There was clear method in this – with the exception of Soldado, who is 28, and Paulinho, who has just turned 25, all the signings are young and should retain a resale value. The exception might be Erik Lamela who, although 21, cost around £30 million and was wanted by both Baldini and Villas-Boas. Baldini, having worked with the Argentinian at Roma, has faith that he will come good.

Spurs’ results at the start of the season were better than expected even if some performances were patchy. Their defensive solidity, racking up clean sheets, was unexpected given the number of changes and there was a growing sense of excitement at the club that they might be title contenders.

Not that Villas-Boas, or Baldini, thought that. They still reasoned that this was a season of transition and a top-four finish was the goal. However, there was a growing, disappointing gap developing between the pair, which was all the more unfortunate given Villas-Boas had previously urged Chelsea to hire Baldini; the Italian had wanted to take the coach to Roma, and then wanted to work with him at Spurs.

But matters were becoming increasingly strained and there were disagreements over the handling of Hugo Lloris’s head injury, with Villas-Boas determined that the goalkeeper was fit to play.

The 6-0 defeat by Manchester City began to expose the tension further, with Villas-Boas believing that if he had then lost to Manchester United, Levy might want to pull the trigger.

By now, he wanted to go. Villas-Boas did not appear a happy figure on the touchline and his goal celebrations did not possess the usual exuberance.

Could he turn things around and see through December? The games were coming thick and fast and that helped, but there was an increasing sense from those close to Villas-Boas that, come what may, this would be his last season at Spurs. In the end he did not make it to the midway point of the campaign.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/10521678/Tottenham-chairman-Daniel-Levy-and-manager-Andre-Villas-Boas-had-become-distant.html
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #44: Dec 17, 2013 02:04:06 am
      At the end of the day he is a young coach that supposedly did well at Porto left for bigger things.  Do I think it is harsh maybe, but can't say he doesn't deserve it.  He chose his own grave.  He wanted to manage a big team and he chose to work under Abramovic, FFS, he's an intelligent person, should have known the consequences.  He never got a fair crack but still left himself in a position that was going make him attractive to top jobs.

So what does he do he decides to work under Levy.  If he thought he was going to get plenty of time the guy shouldn't get another job in the business.  He knew what he walked into and it looks like he will have to take a sky dive now.  Does he deserve it he's a manager that makes decisions.  His career decisions have been appalling if that is anything to indicate the true decisions in his work place. 
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #45: Dec 17, 2013 02:52:03 am
      one cannot succeed when one is working for Dr. Evil.

in both his stints at chelsea and tottenham.. i feel he never really had the full support from the back office.  tough to succeed
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #46: Dec 17, 2013 02:59:05 am
      At the end of the day he is a young coach that supposedly did well at Porto left for bigger things.  Do I think it is harsh maybe, but can't say he doesn't deserve it.  He chose his own grave.  He wanted to manage a big team and he chose to work under Abramovic, FFS, he's an intelligent person, should have known the consequences.  He never got a fair crack but still left himself in a position that was going make him attractive to top jobs.

So what does he do he decides to work under Levy.  If he thought he was going to get plenty of time the guy shouldn't get another job in the business.  He knew what he walked into and it looks like he will have to take a sky dive now.  Does he deserve it he's a manager that makes decisions.  His career decisions have been appalling if that is anything to indicate the true decisions in his work place. 

I think that's harsh. He is still ridiculously young so you would expect his career decisions to be a bit off kilter. Most young managers make career choices that turn out to be wrong. Rodgers was perhaps naive to have left Watford and join Reading back in 2009 and was duly sacked after a tough run. Rafa was sacked not once but twice after his first two jobs managing Real Valladolid and Osasuna which, to say the least, were disastrous spells. But as I believe Rodgers to be showing now and Rafa has already shown us, a lot can be learnt in those first few primitive years as a football manager. AVB is quite a bit different though after having a stunning season at Porto so perhaps he believes in himself too much which is probably a reason why he appears to be quite stubborn tactically. He'll have to change that to develop further into the manager he can be because that was the only way Rafa became the manager he is today and indeed is the way in which Brendan is applying himself today.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #47: Dec 17, 2013 03:00:10 am
      How long has he been in the premiership? 3 years I think.  He has made in excess of £20m!  He chose to work for those people knowing the rewards and the risks!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #48: Dec 17, 2013 03:14:20 am
      How long has he been in the premiership? 3 years I think.  He has made in excess of £20m!  He chose to work for those people knowing the rewards and the risks!

Little over 2 seasons in fact. 7 months at Chelsea, 18 months at Spurs. He was still at Porto three years ago.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #49: Dec 17, 2013 03:22:03 am
      Wow that must be up there with one of the highest paid people in the business at least for a manager.  He chose his direction.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #50: Dec 17, 2013 08:53:33 am
      Heard Alan (i love the sound of my own voice) Sugar saying that he'd spent over 100 million, and seemed to be buying players for the sake of it!
      I'd have thought a manager that had lost his two best players (Bale and Modric) to Madrid, would be entitled to spend the money he got for them!
      It seems to me some of the signings were not his anyway, its likely that Lamalla was at least recommended by Baldini.
      You have to say though the season hasn't been going the way he would have hoped, and I suppose the owners thought It was better to act now before it gets,worse, and they lose too much ground, and with the January window coming up they clearly don't trust him to spend the money wisely, or turn results around.

If this sets Spurs back even more it'll be fantastic for us.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,172 posts | 4908 
      Reply #51: Dec 17, 2013 09:02:15 am
      Heard Alan (i love the sound of my own voice) Sugar saying that he'd spent over 100 million, and seemed to be buying players for the sake of it!
      I'd have thought a manager that had lost his two best players (Bale and Modric) to Madrid, would be entitled to spend the money he got for them!
      It seems to me some of the signings were not his anyway, its likely that Lamalla was at least recommended by Baldini.

You're right in that he didn't sign the players and Baldini and Levy did.

AVB was only the head coach and as far as I know had no real clout when it comes to signing players.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,288 posts | 763 
      Reply #52: Dec 17, 2013 09:28:44 am
      It is reported, that Glen Hoddle is interested in the now vacant post, apparently on either a long or short term bases. I did not know that there where any long term posts for football managers these days.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,172 posts | 4908 
      Reply #53: Dec 17, 2013 10:39:07 am
      Glenn Hoddle.

That's some forward thinking right there.
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      Reply #54: Dec 17, 2013 12:25:50 pm
      AVB will be laughing straight to the bank haha Levy what a dickhead!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #55: Dec 17, 2013 01:56:33 pm
      Glenn Hoddle.

Please let this be true. Spurs would even miss out on the Europa then!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #56: Dec 17, 2013 02:41:01 pm
      I'm a fan of AVB and this sacking doesn't really change that, but I love to compare this situation to the one they experienced under Juande Ramos - in both of them, Tottenham Hotspur became 'the example to be followed by LFC'.

In Juande Ramos, they supposedly had the truly great manager from Spain, not just some fat waiter, who made some amazing signings. Look at their transfer dealings!, they said. Rafa only wastes money, they complained. Ramos did not last a full season and left the club near the relegation zone. Rafa did ridiculously better.

It wasn't too different this summer - look at Spurs, they're showing ambition, we should learn from them - and the result again almost the same, while we're here near the top of the table.

RedWilly

• 9,186 posts | 1636 
      Reply #57: Dec 17, 2013 07:09:07 pm
      Glenn Hoddle.

Seems to be one of those managers who's got better the longer he's spent out the game. Combine it with all the delusion and 'soul-searching' about how England needs to get more technical players, he's somehow managed to get caught up and make a reputation for himself.

Please be true!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #58: Dec 17, 2013 07:32:27 pm
      Right decision for me. The game on Sunday was embarrassing at times. High line and no pressure on the ball. They were lucky we weren't more clinical or they'd have been on the end of a league record defeat.

Too much talk about projects and objectives for me with AVB, and not enough of a natural eye for how a game can play out and being able to react to combat it.

Bit of a charlatan IMO.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #59: Dec 17, 2013 08:23:17 pm
      Levy's an arse that's for sure. The knee has definitely been jerked and there's not really any viable alternative I don't think. I detest the club and their ethics. I was just reading that Levy and co attempted to create coporate espionage in a bid to stop West Ham getting the Olympic stadium, by obtaining senior executives phone numbers and email addresses etc from the Hammers. Some folk are going on trial for it, but how on earth did Levy not know?

Please god, I don't want a talented young manager like De Boer taking the reigns - let's hope that Dennis Bergkamp can persuade him to stay away from them because it's a shithole. They are a pain in the arse Spurs - sick of hearing them constantly stating how they are a big club. In defence of Everton for once, I saw some comments on The Guardian stating they were a bigger club than Everton - for all I hate Everton, they are a much bigger club simply due to their history.

Apparently, for them, Capello, one of Europe's most successful coaches ever, is a massive no go area for a club which has won f**k all. How on earth did they think they've joined Europe's elite? Add to the fact they do actually have sh*t fans who make Old Trafford look like a Saturday night rave in comparison, and you've got one hell of a pain in the arse.

I for one hope Hoddle gets the job, because I don't believe he is up to it one bit. He's failed at every club he's been at hasn't he?
      « Last Edit: Dec 17, 2013 08:57:57 pm by Son Of A Gun »
      Brilliant Babbel
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 510 posts | 10 
      Reply #60: Dec 17, 2013 10:16:00 pm
      It was always going to end in tears, when you sell your best player and sign dross. In part, that's why I support FSG's prudent approach to transfers, because the Spuds approach was us a few years back. Spending huge sums on average Joes.

Bier
      Reply #61: Dec 19, 2013 08:47:31 pm
      Their main target seems to be Frank de Boer, but thankfully he isn't interested.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #62: Dec 20, 2013 01:58:22 am
      Whoever they get better not give him a medical before signing him!
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #63: Dec 20, 2013 10:32:17 am
      It was always going to end in tears, when you sell your best player and sign dross. In part, that's why I support FSG's prudent approach to transfers, because the Spuds approach was us a few years back. Spending huge sums on average Joes.
      Interesting take on things there Babbel but you could totally accurate with the parallels between us.

The whispers coming out of White Hart Lane are that; Baldini [Technical Director/DoF], employed by the owners, bought a number of players who weren't wanted by the manager; spending big money as he did so with little or no net spend. Sounds familiar alright.  :nod:

That said and to be fair: I wouldn't be too sure that the players they signed could be described as either "dross" or "average Joes". In fact I'm sure most every one of them was talked about (on here), at different times, as being quality.

What do we know; eh?  :D
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #64: Dec 20, 2013 10:59:05 am
      Interesting take on things there Babbel but you could totally accurate with the parallels between us.

The whispers coming out of White Hart Lane are that; Baldini [Technical Director/DoF], employed by the owners, bought a number of players who weren't wanted by the manager; spending big money as he did so with little or no net spend. Sounds familiar alright.  :nod:

That said and to be fair: I wouldn't be too sure that the players they signed could be described as either "dross" or "average Joes". In fact I'm sure most every one of them was talked about (on here), at different times, as being quality.

Think you are spot on there.

I am sure we were interested in nearly all, or in awe of the players were buying.

Although I am delighted Spurs have gone, what seems to be tits up, if they had kept AVB I am sure they would have been a very good team NEXT season. But as is the way these days, you need to win everything NOW.

We should remember that just that little be of stability we have enjoyed is now showing in our improved performances. If Suraez had gone, and we'd got someone new, that stability would have been broken, and we may not be pushing for 1st.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #65: Dec 20, 2013 11:18:28 am
      Although I am delighted Spurs have gone, what seems to be tits up, if they had kept AVB I am sure they would have been a very good team NEXT season. But as is the way these days, you need to win everything NOW.

We should remember that just that little be of stability we have enjoyed is now showing in our improved performances.
      Without a doubt Pups. In fact I'm glad they were too F***ing daft to give the man a chance to rectify any mistakes. Hopefully it will have knocked them back another season.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #66: Dec 20, 2013 03:46:46 pm

Indeed mate, a great many did catch the attention of our scouting personnel who had been fitted with tracking devices apparently by the spuds - 'cos they knew more about our targets than we did. 
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #67: Dec 20, 2013 04:12:38 pm
      Indeed mate, a great many did catch the attention of our scouting personnel who had been fitted with tracking devices apparently by the spuds - 'cos they knew more about our targets than we did. 

Excuses my daftness, but I suspect you're just being sarcastic, if not please spill some beans. :confused-smiley-013:
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Reply #68: Dec 20, 2013 04:26:10 pm
      Bizarre decision especially that they are on a good European run & most recently cup run.

When a club go on a silly spending spree and the manager is then expected to field all the new players to justify the spend its going to be a bumpy road.

Kenny suffered the same but the King won a Trophy with 2 other visits to Wembley,Mark Hughes at QPR paid the price too with a complete new squad expected to challenge the already established order, not going to happen in 1 season.

Twice the lad has been made a scapegoat & I'm of the opinion that Daniel Levy and the decision makers could well likely have cost Spurs a Trophy this season.

Knee jerk.

I hope he bounces back in the PL with a club not too ambitious where he can actually build something,still has plenty to offer.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #69: Dec 20, 2013 04:36:09 pm
      Excuses my daftness, but I suspect you're just being sarcastic, if not please spill some beans. :confused-smiley-013:

'Twas indeed sarcasm mate, the way they were ''poaching'' our targets last season verged on taking the piss.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #70: Dec 20, 2013 04:39:48 pm
      'Twas indeed sarcasm mate, the way they were ''poaching'' our targets last season verged on taking the piss.

Damn, I was hoping for some crazy conspiratory thingy. Cloak and daggers and the like.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #71: Dec 20, 2013 04:53:25 pm
      Damn, I was hoping for some crazy conspiratory thingy. Cloak and daggers and the like.

Haha if bacon face or the FA had been involved it would have been cloak and dagger conspiracy thingies from a/hole to breakfast time, as it was it was just a badly thought out scheme for overnight success (optimistically).
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #72: Dec 23, 2013 11:11:55 pm
      Sherwood appointed for 18 months.

There they go as a threat. Great news for us and 4 or 5 other clubs.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,172 posts | 4908 
      Reply #73: Dec 23, 2013 11:20:40 pm

Weird decision.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #74: Dec 23, 2013 11:23:12 pm
      A very strange decision , money must be running out for Levy.
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #75: Mar 21, 2014 09:37:18 pm

I'm not sure if I think Sherwood is hilarious, or F***ing annoying. But there's no away he's going to be manager next season.

He's a total F***ing clown, tactically clueless and his combustible antics are pure cringe.

He loves all that old-fashioned old school management bollocks and so do his media mates: 'he's no laptop manager' says Jamie Redknapp. And his F***ing body warmer and tracky bottoms. Look at me! I'm a footballing manager! Old school! No pretensions!

F**k off Sherwood. You're a joke lad. I'm slightly depressed that Kenny has been allegedly giving him advice. Not very good advice
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,174 posts | 4402 
      Reply #76: Mar 21, 2014 10:33:48 pm
      Appointed manager of Zenit, not sure how he does it but I must have a word with who ever writes his CV.
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #77: Mar 21, 2014 10:40:20 pm
      Appointed manager of Zenit, not sure how he does it but I must have a word with who ever writes his CV.

Hmm. I still think he did a pretty decent job at Spurs really. Although he does seem to have man management issues
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #78: Mar 22, 2014 02:27:22 pm
      He had his eggs in a basket called Gareth.

He had one style, no adaptability and a F***ing annoying haircut. This is probably the biggest job he'll have for the rest of his career.

Quick Reply