Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

AVB Sacked

Read 7071 times
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Re: AVB Sacked
      Reply #23: Dec 16, 2013 01:08:44 pm
      Booing their team at half time was ridiculous. Spurs fans really are some of the worst in the league.

And the fact that the stands were emptying fast as soon as the 71st minute - shocking!!!
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      • Luis Suarez could nutmeg a mermaid
      Reply #24: Dec 16, 2013 01:11:46 pm
      That is what you call putting the final nail in the coffin, made our victory that bit sweeter.  :D
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #25: Dec 16, 2013 01:16:08 pm
      That is what you call putting the final nail in the coffin, made our victory that bit sweeter.  :D

Don't think it's added or took anything away from our victory.  The only enjoyment from this is separate - watching another competitor give themselves a needless headache.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #26: Dec 16, 2013 01:23:53 pm
      I do like AVB but he basically looked like a dead man walking at the press conference.

It was an impossible job with so many players bought in (by Baldini) and a demanding Daniel Levy looking down at you from the stand.

I know this may surprise a few people, but I'd love us to make a cheeky bid for Gylfi Sigurdsson (I can see him being a good long-term replacement for Stevie Gerrard).

Nah. Sigurdsson had his chance to come here and shunned us for them (or more money to be more specific). Looking a right tit now.
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #27: Dec 16, 2013 01:32:03 pm
      Nah. Sigurdsson had his chance to come here and shunned us for them (or more money to be more specific). Looking a right tit now.

I agree and I had a laugh at his expense yesterday in terms of where we are compared to Spuds.

But I do think he could be a very good player for us. He scores goals, drives from midfield and gets stuck in. He and Kevin Strootman are perhaps the two players I can see who could take over the Gerrard mantle in a season or two.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #28: Dec 16, 2013 01:33:31 pm
      Booing their team at half time was ridiculous. Spurs fans really are some of the worst in the league.

Yup, had a fair few of them in my ears down the years and this is one thing that is a dead cert with them, they are fickle to the bone. Fair weather twunts.
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      • Luis Suarez could nutmeg a mermaid
      Reply #29: Dec 16, 2013 02:04:41 pm
      I was massively backing AVB for the Liverpool job after Kenny's sacking with no idea or no real enthusiasm to see Brendan take the job. Since then there can be no doubts that we landed the perfect man but despite his disgraceful sacking I still believe him to be a worthy manager who could still make it at the top. When they brought in Baldini it instantly undermined AVB's work at the club and as JD and racer have pointed out there is no just reason to sack him. Yesterday must have been an appalling day for them yet it's as knee jerk a reaction as you can get.

With Redknapp going for similarly unjust reasons maybe the Tottenham fans could suggest that Daniel Levy sacks himself. The man is clearly a cretin of the highest order who has done more to hinder Tottenham's fortunes than help them.

Agree mate, I massively backed AVB for the Pool job aswell, desperately wanted him. Looks like we dodged a fiery bullet on that one.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #30: Dec 16, 2013 02:27:44 pm
      Harsh decision that I feel.

But anything that disrupts those around us I'll take right now.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,000 posts | 3951 
      Reply #31: Dec 16, 2013 02:35:00 pm
      Harsh decision that I feel.

But anything that disrupts those around us I'll take right now.

Is right mate, you wouldn't refuse an own goal would you?
      Bier
      Reply #32: Dec 16, 2013 03:01:30 pm
      Their problem wasn't so much their position or points this season I think, but they've been playing dreadful. I'd even say they've been getting worse as the season progresses. And they've been very lucky with penalties, and some undeserved wins and late goals.

Their main problem is Soldado I think. I like him but he's a sub top striker, a poacher who doesn't get involved in a play alot, and he's already 28. They could've done better for that money. And then Lamela ofcourse, who knows what's going on there, he was brilliant at Roma.

Still, very harsh. They should have given him untill the end of the season at least, as better option could be unattainable right now anyway.

Anyway, here's to us getting more managers fired!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #33: Dec 16, 2013 04:16:04 pm
      Their main problem is Soldado I think. I like him but he's a sub top striker, a poacher who doesn't get involved in a play alot, and he's already 28. They could've done better for that money.

100% agree, been saying that for a while. Soldado is better than he's been playing for Spurs lately, but still, he's never going to contribute a lot to their play, only finish them off - and at the moment, he's not even doing this. They paid a hell lot of money for him, especially if you consider his age. His backup is Defoe, whom I've never been a big fan of, and is past his best... so they clearly have a problem there.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,929 posts | 1477 
      Reply #34: Dec 16, 2013 04:37:56 pm
      Obviously Daniel Levy doesn't think much of us by sacking AVB after our match. Why not last week after their Citeh trashing? If it was Chavs of Arsenal, you bet he would wait another week.

I feel sorry for AVB that with his squad's quality, he can't make them play together.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #35: Dec 16, 2013 05:19:12 pm
      Failed at the Chavs and now the Spuds, sweet! Can't stand the arrogant pr**k, trying to be too much like Maureen
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,285 posts | 2805 
      Reply #36: Dec 16, 2013 05:20:06 pm
      Feeling sorry for him right now - that's two harsh sackings in two years. Hope he has some success in Europe, seems like a nice guy and there aren't many of them around in the Premier League right now.

Not that many choices for Levy to choose from, maybe Laudrup?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #37: Dec 16, 2013 05:25:00 pm
      Feeling sorry for him right now - that's two harsh sackings in two years. Hope he has some success in Europe, seems like a nice guy and there aren't many of them around in the Premier League right now.

Not that many choices for Levy to choose from, maybe Laudrup?

Would be an excellent choice for them.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #38: Dec 16, 2013 06:19:18 pm
      How about Harry and his dog.  I am sure he would want a lot of changes to the current squad.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,276 posts | 762 
      Reply #39: Dec 16, 2013 07:26:50 pm
      Harsh on AVB, considering Spurs are still in two cup competitions and still not that badly placed in the league, although no great achievement being a couple of points ahead of Utd, who have seemingly been turned into a mid table side by their new mid table manager.
      yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Reply #40: Dec 16, 2013 09:05:33 pm
      They should consider a 352 once they sort out their left back issue in january

Lloris
      Walker Kaboul Cheriches Vertonghen ??
      Paulinho Sandro, Erikssen
      Defoe Soldado

bench Friedel Rose dawson dembele Lamela Lennon Sigurdsson

To think their squad also contains Holtby Adebayor Capoue Townsend and Chadli is mental ..
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #41: Dec 16, 2013 10:58:43 pm
      AVB's biggest mistake this season was choosing Soldado over Defoe. Defoe is a natural goal scorer and has proven himself season after season, Soldado has 3 league goals is it? All from the spot.

I would say AVB failed with his signing but I think Baldini had a bigger say over the signings than him, especially Lamela. Record signing who can't get off the bench and when he does he only shows that he should still be sat on it.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #42: Dec 16, 2013 11:03:14 pm
      Hearing a few names touted to replace AVB with Glenn Hoddle the most touted so far. Glenn Hoddle? Really? By his account AVB must have been a right c**t in his previous life to deserve the sack.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #43: Dec 17, 2013 12:11:34 am
      Interesting Telegraph piece highlighting internal friction and frustration at the club.

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy and manager André Villas-Boas had become distant

Manager's summer plans had been rejected and it was a surprise he was not given more time at White Hart Lane

There was no common ground between André Villas-Boas and Daniel Levy as they met briefly after Tottenham Hotspur's 5-0 humiliation at home against Liverpool. And there had to be if they were to continue. Both men were hurt and as Levy sought answers, Villas-Boas bristled.

The conversation turned to whether Spurs could employ two strikers, for example, and Villas-Boas interpreted this as a suggestion that he should play Emmanuel Adebayor who he wanted out of the club, who had been a source of friction and who has been a crushing disappointment, despite being the highest earner. The conversation was not constructive.

Quickly the decision was taken to reconvene yesterday morning and, shortly after 10am, Villas-Boas and Levy decided that the time was right for the head coach to go. Technically he was not sacked and, in truth, the sense around Villas-Boas was that he wanted to go and was relieved it was over. He and Levy have never been, according to a source close to the Portuguese, a “dynamic duo”. By the end the relationship between the pair was ever more remote; it was not a meeting of minds.

That relationship had started awkwardly with the sale of Luka Modric in the summer of 2012 and the failure to sign Joao Moutinho at the 11th hour as his replacement – after apparently haggling over €500,000 on a €31 million (£26  million) bid – and it rarely improved after that.

Villas-Boas lost Modric one summer, Gareth Bale the next – even if £107  million was spent following the latter’s departure. He had called for evolution; he got revolution.

Villas-Boas was devastated not to acquire Moutinho and believed that he struggled to get any of the players he wanted signed by Spurs. It is a long and perhaps, at times, unrealistic list but included Oscar, Fernandinho, Willian, Leandro Damiao, Henrik Mkhitaryan, Fabio Coentrao, Hulk and David Villa. The latter was even taken on a tour of Spurs’ impressive new training ground but decided to join Atletico Madrid.

Levy did not interfere. Far from it. He does allow his staff to get on with their jobs but there is, on occasions, frustration that he appears to be a ‘numbers man’.

Not that Villas-Boas, a bright, likeable coach, was blameless. He is far warmer than his public image presents, with innovative ideas, but at times he is unrelenting, The 36-year-old had his fingers burnt at Chelsea and after an initial feeling that he would not return to English football he landed the Spurs job.

He had learnt important lessons. Villas-Boas needed to improve his man-management skills and become more flexible – and did so – and of all the criticism he has faced the claim that he had blamed the players or lost the dressing room is the one he refutes most vehemently.

However, the biggest irony is that here is a young coach who is firmly committed to attacking, exciting football – and wants to entertain – but was struggling to translate that on to the pitch. Again, though, it may well have just been a case of giving him time.

There was also a fractious relationship with Tim Sherwood, Spurs’ technical co-ordinator, and highly regarded by Levy, while it always remained unclear as to how effective an assistant manager Steffen Freund was, and who pushed for him to be hired.

The tension increased over the summer when Paris St-Germain asked for, and were granted, permission to speak to Villas-Boas to become their new head coach. Villas-Boas decided to stay but felt that Levy would have happily pocketed the £10 million it would have taken PSG to release him from his Spurs contract.

That contract, too, quickly became a bone of contention. Villas-Boas thought that Spurs might have improved his deal – which had one more year left to run after this season – after he showed loyalty and rejected PSG, but instead there was silence. He did not ask for a better deal but also, having lobbied for the appointment of director of football Franco Baldini, he thought, perhaps wrongly, perhaps naively, that it would be a sign that Spurs believed in him.

That is often the way with Villas-Boas. He rejects the comparisons with his former mentor Jose Mourinho but there are undoubted similarities. One of Mourinho’s mantras is that if everyone wears the same shirt then they should “show the same face” and all pull in the same direction. Villas-Boas believed that also. He also accepts that he is ‘Porto school’ – a product of the club he grew up supporting and went on to coach and may now return to as coach. At Porto there is a strong support system and a very clear way of operating. Villas-Boas did not believe he had that at Spurs.

A pinch point arrived last May on Spurs’ post-season tour to the Bahamas which was also used as an opportunity for Villas-Boas, Levy and the club’s owner Joe Lewis, who lives on the islands, to meet. Top of the agenda was Bale’s future, with Villas-Boas urging the club to keep him for one more year – and add Hulk and Villa to create a new forward line. Villas-Boas wanted that evolution – not a revolution – at Spurs in the playing staff but was also pushing for off-the-pitch changes, including the hiring of Baldini and the overhaul of the medical department. The signings were rejected and, of course, Bale was sold to Real Madrid for £85 million but only, in fairness, after he had pushed for the move. Spurs held talks with Manchester United, who were willing to pay £100 million and might also have taken Adebayor, but Bale was adamant that he only wanted to go to Madrid.

Baldini got to work in the transfer market with Villas-Boas happy with the pursuit of Paulinho, Roberto Soldado and Etienne Capoue but unsure that he wanted a radical overhaul. But Spurs reasoned they could act quickly and decisively to reinvest the Bale money and use the opportunity to create a new squad.

It was a gamble. And it also needed the pieces to fall together but, more importantly, a collective belief that this was not only the right thing to do but that Villas-Boas would be given the time to make it work – and he was the right man to make it work.

By now his relationship with Adebayor had deteriorated to such an extent that the striker was not to train with the first-team squad. Benoît Assou-Ekotto also had to be moved on and went to Queens Park Rangers on loan after a deal to sell him to Fenerbahce collapsed, to Villas-Boas’s frustration. Within minutes of the 5-0 defeat to Liverpool, Assou-Ekotto posted a picture on a social-network site of him and Adebayor holding up five fingers.

Rightly or wrongly, Villas-Boas felt the club had not backed him on Adebayor while Baldini continued to negotiate with Real president Fiorentino Pérez.

A deal was in place and Spurs decided to spend rather than bank the Bale cash – and with their seven signings, plus other departures, they ended the transfer window approximately £10 million up when fees and savings on wages were taken into account.

There was clear method in this – with the exception of Soldado, who is 28, and Paulinho, who has just turned 25, all the signings are young and should retain a resale value. The exception might be Erik Lamela who, although 21, cost around £30 million and was wanted by both Baldini and Villas-Boas. Baldini, having worked with the Argentinian at Roma, has faith that he will come good.

Spurs’ results at the start of the season were better than expected even if some performances were patchy. Their defensive solidity, racking up clean sheets, was unexpected given the number of changes and there was a growing sense of excitement at the club that they might be title contenders.

Not that Villas-Boas, or Baldini, thought that. They still reasoned that this was a season of transition and a top-four finish was the goal. However, there was a growing, disappointing gap developing between the pair, which was all the more unfortunate given Villas-Boas had previously urged Chelsea to hire Baldini; the Italian had wanted to take the coach to Roma, and then wanted to work with him at Spurs.

But matters were becoming increasingly strained and there were disagreements over the handling of Hugo Lloris’s head injury, with Villas-Boas determined that the goalkeeper was fit to play.

The 6-0 defeat by Manchester City began to expose the tension further, with Villas-Boas believing that if he had then lost to Manchester United, Levy might want to pull the trigger.

By now, he wanted to go. Villas-Boas did not appear a happy figure on the touchline and his goal celebrations did not possess the usual exuberance.

Could he turn things around and see through December? The games were coming thick and fast and that helped, but there was an increasing sense from those close to Villas-Boas that, come what may, this would be his last season at Spurs. In the end he did not make it to the midway point of the campaign.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/10521678/Tottenham-chairman-Daniel-Levy-and-manager-Andre-Villas-Boas-had-become-distant.html
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #44: Dec 17, 2013 02:04:06 am
      At the end of the day he is a young coach that supposedly did well at Porto left for bigger things.  Do I think it is harsh maybe, but can't say he doesn't deserve it.  He chose his own grave.  He wanted to manage a big team and he chose to work under Abramovic, FFS, he's an intelligent person, should have known the consequences.  He never got a fair crack but still left himself in a position that was going make him attractive to top jobs.

So what does he do he decides to work under Levy.  If he thought he was going to get plenty of time the guy shouldn't get another job in the business.  He knew what he walked into and it looks like he will have to take a sky dive now.  Does he deserve it he's a manager that makes decisions.  His career decisions have been appalling if that is anything to indicate the true decisions in his work place. 
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #45: Dec 17, 2013 02:52:03 am
      one cannot succeed when one is working for Dr. Evil.

in both his stints at chelsea and tottenham.. i feel he never really had the full support from the back office.  tough to succeed

Quick Reply