Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

AVB Sacked

Read 7040 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: AVB Sacked
      Reply #46: Dec 17, 2013 02:59:05 am
      At the end of the day he is a young coach that supposedly did well at Porto left for bigger things.  Do I think it is harsh maybe, but can't say he doesn't deserve it.  He chose his own grave.  He wanted to manage a big team and he chose to work under Abramovic, FFS, he's an intelligent person, should have known the consequences.  He never got a fair crack but still left himself in a position that was going make him attractive to top jobs.

So what does he do he decides to work under Levy.  If he thought he was going to get plenty of time the guy shouldn't get another job in the business.  He knew what he walked into and it looks like he will have to take a sky dive now.  Does he deserve it he's a manager that makes decisions.  His career decisions have been appalling if that is anything to indicate the true decisions in his work place. 

I think that's harsh. He is still ridiculously young so you would expect his career decisions to be a bit off kilter. Most young managers make career choices that turn out to be wrong. Rodgers was perhaps naive to have left Watford and join Reading back in 2009 and was duly sacked after a tough run. Rafa was sacked not once but twice after his first two jobs managing Real Valladolid and Osasuna which, to say the least, were disastrous spells. But as I believe Rodgers to be showing now and Rafa has already shown us, a lot can be learnt in those first few primitive years as a football manager. AVB is quite a bit different though after having a stunning season at Porto so perhaps he believes in himself too much which is probably a reason why he appears to be quite stubborn tactically. He'll have to change that to develop further into the manager he can be because that was the only way Rafa became the manager he is today and indeed is the way in which Brendan is applying himself today.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #47: Dec 17, 2013 03:00:10 am
      How long has he been in the premiership? 3 years I think.  He has made in excess of £20m!  He chose to work for those people knowing the rewards and the risks!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #48: Dec 17, 2013 03:14:20 am
      How long has he been in the premiership? 3 years I think.  He has made in excess of £20m!  He chose to work for those people knowing the rewards and the risks!

Little over 2 seasons in fact. 7 months at Chelsea, 18 months at Spurs. He was still at Porto three years ago.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #49: Dec 17, 2013 03:22:03 am
      Wow that must be up there with one of the highest paid people in the business at least for a manager.  He chose his direction.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #50: Dec 17, 2013 08:53:33 am
      Heard Alan (i love the sound of my own voice) Sugar saying that he'd spent over 100 million, and seemed to be buying players for the sake of it!
      I'd have thought a manager that had lost his two best players (Bale and Modric) to Madrid, would be entitled to spend the money he got for them!
      It seems to me some of the signings were not his anyway, its likely that Lamalla was at least recommended by Baldini.
      You have to say though the season hasn't been going the way he would have hoped, and I suppose the owners thought It was better to act now before it gets,worse, and they lose too much ground, and with the January window coming up they clearly don't trust him to spend the money wisely, or turn results around.

If this sets Spurs back even more it'll be fantastic for us.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #51: Dec 17, 2013 09:02:15 am
      Heard Alan (i love the sound of my own voice) Sugar saying that he'd spent over 100 million, and seemed to be buying players for the sake of it!
      I'd have thought a manager that had lost his two best players (Bale and Modric) to Madrid, would be entitled to spend the money he got for them!
      It seems to me some of the signings were not his anyway, its likely that Lamalla was at least recommended by Baldini.

You're right in that he didn't sign the players and Baldini and Levy did.

AVB was only the head coach and as far as I know had no real clout when it comes to signing players.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #52: Dec 17, 2013 09:28:44 am
      It is reported, that Glen Hoddle is interested in the now vacant post, apparently on either a long or short term bases. I did not know that there where any long term posts for football managers these days.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #53: Dec 17, 2013 10:39:07 am
      Glenn Hoddle.

That's some forward thinking right there.
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      • Luis Suarez could nutmeg a mermaid
      Reply #54: Dec 17, 2013 12:25:50 pm
      AVB will be laughing straight to the bank haha Levy what a dickhead!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #55: Dec 17, 2013 01:56:33 pm
      Glenn Hoddle.

Please let this be true. Spurs would even miss out on the Europa then!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #56: Dec 17, 2013 02:41:01 pm
      I'm a fan of AVB and this sacking doesn't really change that, but I love to compare this situation to the one they experienced under Juande Ramos - in both of them, Tottenham Hotspur became 'the example to be followed by LFC'.

In Juande Ramos, they supposedly had the truly great manager from Spain, not just some fat waiter, who made some amazing signings. Look at their transfer dealings!, they said. Rafa only wastes money, they complained. Ramos did not last a full season and left the club near the relegation zone. Rafa did ridiculously better.

It wasn't too different this summer - look at Spurs, they're showing ambition, we should learn from them - and the result again almost the same, while we're here near the top of the table.

RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #57: Dec 17, 2013 07:09:07 pm
      Glenn Hoddle.

Seems to be one of those managers who's got better the longer he's spent out the game. Combine it with all the delusion and 'soul-searching' about how England needs to get more technical players, he's somehow managed to get caught up and make a reputation for himself.

Please be true!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #58: Dec 17, 2013 07:32:27 pm
      Right decision for me. The game on Sunday was embarrassing at times. High line and no pressure on the ball. They were lucky we weren't more clinical or they'd have been on the end of a league record defeat.

Too much talk about projects and objectives for me with AVB, and not enough of a natural eye for how a game can play out and being able to react to combat it.

Bit of a charlatan IMO.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #59: Dec 17, 2013 08:23:17 pm
      Levy's an arse that's for sure. The knee has definitely been jerked and there's not really any viable alternative I don't think. I detest the club and their ethics. I was just reading that Levy and co attempted to create coporate espionage in a bid to stop West Ham getting the Olympic stadium, by obtaining senior executives phone numbers and email addresses etc from the Hammers. Some folk are going on trial for it, but how on earth did Levy not know?

Please god, I don't want a talented young manager like De Boer taking the reigns - let's hope that Dennis Bergkamp can persuade him to stay away from them because it's a shithole. They are a pain in the arse Spurs - sick of hearing them constantly stating how they are a big club. In defence of Everton for once, I saw some comments on The Guardian stating they were a bigger club than Everton - for all I hate Everton, they are a much bigger club simply due to their history.

Apparently, for them, Capello, one of Europe's most successful coaches ever, is a massive no go area for a club which has won f**k all. How on earth did they think they've joined Europe's elite? Add to the fact they do actually have sh*t fans who make Old Trafford look like a Saturday night rave in comparison, and you've got one hell of a pain in the arse.

I for one hope Hoddle gets the job, because I don't believe he is up to it one bit. He's failed at every club he's been at hasn't he?
      « Last Edit: Dec 17, 2013 08:57:57 pm by Son Of A Gun »
      Brilliant Babbel
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 510 posts | 10 
      Reply #60: Dec 17, 2013 10:16:00 pm
      It was always going to end in tears, when you sell your best player and sign dross. In part, that's why I support FSG's prudent approach to transfers, because the Spuds approach was us a few years back. Spending huge sums on average Joes.

Bier
      Reply #61: Dec 19, 2013 08:47:31 pm
      Their main target seems to be Frank de Boer, but thankfully he isn't interested.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #62: Dec 20, 2013 01:58:22 am
      Whoever they get better not give him a medical before signing him!
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #63: Dec 20, 2013 10:32:17 am
      It was always going to end in tears, when you sell your best player and sign dross. In part, that's why I support FSG's prudent approach to transfers, because the Spuds approach was us a few years back. Spending huge sums on average Joes.
      Interesting take on things there Babbel but you could totally accurate with the parallels between us.

The whispers coming out of White Hart Lane are that; Baldini [Technical Director/DoF], employed by the owners, bought a number of players who weren't wanted by the manager; spending big money as he did so with little or no net spend. Sounds familiar alright.  :nod:

That said and to be fair: I wouldn't be too sure that the players they signed could be described as either "dross" or "average Joes". In fact I'm sure most every one of them was talked about (on here), at different times, as being quality.

What do we know; eh?  :D
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #64: Dec 20, 2013 10:59:05 am
      Interesting take on things there Babbel but you could totally accurate with the parallels between us.

The whispers coming out of White Hart Lane are that; Baldini [Technical Director/DoF], employed by the owners, bought a number of players who weren't wanted by the manager; spending big money as he did so with little or no net spend. Sounds familiar alright.  :nod:

That said and to be fair: I wouldn't be too sure that the players they signed could be described as either "dross" or "average Joes". In fact I'm sure most every one of them was talked about (on here), at different times, as being quality.

Think you are spot on there.

I am sure we were interested in nearly all, or in awe of the players were buying.

Although I am delighted Spurs have gone, what seems to be tits up, if they had kept AVB I am sure they would have been a very good team NEXT season. But as is the way these days, you need to win everything NOW.

We should remember that just that little be of stability we have enjoyed is now showing in our improved performances. If Suraez had gone, and we'd got someone new, that stability would have been broken, and we may not be pushing for 1st.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #65: Dec 20, 2013 11:18:28 am
      Although I am delighted Spurs have gone, what seems to be tits up, if they had kept AVB I am sure they would have been a very good team NEXT season. But as is the way these days, you need to win everything NOW.

We should remember that just that little be of stability we have enjoyed is now showing in our improved performances.
      Without a doubt Pups. In fact I'm glad they were too F***ing daft to give the man a chance to rectify any mistakes. Hopefully it will have knocked them back another season.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #66: Dec 20, 2013 03:46:46 pm

Indeed mate, a great many did catch the attention of our scouting personnel who had been fitted with tracking devices apparently by the spuds - 'cos they knew more about our targets than we did. 
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #67: Dec 20, 2013 04:12:38 pm
      Indeed mate, a great many did catch the attention of our scouting personnel who had been fitted with tracking devices apparently by the spuds - 'cos they knew more about our targets than we did. 

Excuses my daftness, but I suspect you're just being sarcastic, if not please spill some beans. :confused-smiley-013:
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #68: Dec 20, 2013 04:26:10 pm
      Bizarre decision especially that they are on a good European run & most recently cup run.

When a club go on a silly spending spree and the manager is then expected to field all the new players to justify the spend its going to be a bumpy road.

Kenny suffered the same but the King won a Trophy with 2 other visits to Wembley,Mark Hughes at QPR paid the price too with a complete new squad expected to challenge the already established order, not going to happen in 1 season.

Twice the lad has been made a scapegoat & I'm of the opinion that Daniel Levy and the decision makers could well likely have cost Spurs a Trophy this season.

Knee jerk.

I hope he bounces back in the PL with a club not too ambitious where he can actually build something,still has plenty to offer.

Quick Reply