Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Headphones

Read 6747 times
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Headphones
      Jan 19, 2014 12:07:10 am
      Have been looking at headphones on amazon recently and saw a pair for only £15 which I thought was very reasonable. But what I want to ask is, what makes a particular pair of headphones worth £200 say? And would anyone in the right frame of mind squander that much on a pair of headphones. Completely understand for those who work/study in music, though
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Headphones
      Reply #1: Jan 19, 2014 01:16:55 am
      No.

20 quid Sennheisers are good enough.
      redmau5
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 393 posts |
      Reply #2: Jan 21, 2014 05:40:55 pm
      You can definitely tell the difference in sound difference.  But some of these high priced ones are just buying a brand name. 

Ive got a pair of shure se215 and klipsch s4 for work. 

Be sure to research them first though.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #3: Jan 21, 2014 06:35:51 pm
      Quality of components/materials, where they are made and the brand name all factor in to the cost. Some people can tell the difference, some people can't and some have enough disposable income that it doesn't matter to them either way.

I've had some fairly cheap ear buds that sounded just as good as much more expensive brands but they didn't last very long..so I got what I paid for in terms of quality. I have a pair of Klipsch S4 right now that sound great and so far they seem to be holding up very well...I also paid about $80 for them. I'm picky about the fit and those were one of the only pairs that fit my ears right and didn't fall out.

I assume you are referring to headphones like the "Beats" by Dre......I think those are mostly marketing although I haven't personally tried them myself. I have a pair of the $20 Sennheiser's that Racer mentioned (I assume the same ones) and they work just fine for listening to music or when I have them plugged in when I'm playing guitar.
      KobeWorst
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 458 posts | 12 
      Reply #4: Jan 21, 2014 06:54:45 pm
      I've got these http://www.whathifi.com/review/sennheiser-hd-202, which you can pick up for around the 20 quid mark, nice long lead too for using in various equipment at home.

The sound quality to price increase varies considerably and its definetly worth checking some reviews before spending anything over £50.

RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #5: Jan 22, 2014 12:03:57 pm
      I have a pair of Bose, and you can hear the difference.

There are expensive, but you can watch a full movie and your ears do not hurt as they can do with other "buds".

Bose ie2 in ear audio headphones for ipod & iphone. Around £80, but I got mine on ebay for £55.

I have loaned a full ear Bose, and again they are comfy, plus the sound quality is topnotch.

I feel there is no point in having a good mp3 player, and then sh*t earphones, you will not get the full acoustic range with cheap earphones.

If I were you, I'd take your player to Bose, and try the earphones they have on display, you will here the difference.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #6: Jan 22, 2014 12:23:25 pm
      I have these

Sennheiser CX 300-II

http://www.whathifi.com/review/sennheiser-cx-300-ii

Picked them up for about £40 and as much as I really wanted to pay as I'm not sure I could justify paying more just for earphones due to the limited amount of time I actually use them. So far they have been excellent and the sound quality is great and a massive leap from what I've been used to.

You see all these people with Beats by Dre and the like and I'm just not sure they are as good as the price tag suggests and I'm sure someone on here would know but they seem a bit more style over substance than anything.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #7: Jan 22, 2014 12:25:59 pm
      Depends on what you want them for.

I have headphones for running and headphones for chilling out at home.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #8: Jan 22, 2014 12:30:40 pm

There are expensive, but you can watch a full movie and your ears do not hurt as they can do with other "buds".

Bose ie2 in ear audio headphones for ipod & iphone. Around £80, but I got mine on ebay for £55.

I have loaned a full ear Bose, and again they are comfy, plus the sound quality is topnotch.

I feel there is no point in having a good mp3 player, and then sh*t earphones, you will not get the full acoustic range with cheap earphones.

If I were you, I'd take your player to Bose, and try the earphones they have on display, you will here the difference.

Asked for those for Christmas....Santa said no ;D

Maybe down the road. I like the Klipsch I have, but have heard nothing but good about those Bose.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      Reply #9: Jan 22, 2014 12:46:30 pm
      Asked for those for Christmas....Santa said no ;D

Maybe down the road. I like the Klipsch I have, but have heard nothing but good about those Bose.

They are great, they come with 3 sets of white silicon thingys to keep them in place, S,M & L, so they will fit your ear.
      KobeWorst
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 458 posts | 12 
      Reply #10: Jan 22, 2014 01:45:33 pm
      Depends on what you want them for.

I have headphones for running and headphones for chilling out at home.

Racer, what are the Sennheiser CX680's like for running, decent fit?

I'm currently looking to replace my PMX 80's which have a 'Neckband', which isn't too bad for cardio but pretty uncomfortable during any bench exercises as I tend to lay back on them and they jab in my ears like a mofo  :)

Anyway, thinking of switching to some 'in-ears' for exercising but as they probably won't last will keep it under £30
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #11: Jan 22, 2014 01:55:43 pm
      Racer, what are the Sennheiser CX680's like for running, decent fit?

I'm currently looking to replace my PMX 80's which have a 'Neckband', which isn't too bad for cardio but pretty uncomfortable during any bench exercises as I tend to lay back on them and they jab in my ears like a mofo  :)

Anyway, thinking of switching to some 'in-ears' for exercising but as they probably won't last will keep it under £30

They're the best headphones I've had for training.
      Once you go through the selection of sizes they provide you with, and find the best fit,
      you can just pop them in and forget about them.

I had the over ear holders before and found they lost shape very quickly, becoming useless.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      Reply #12: Jan 22, 2014 09:09:12 pm
      They're the best headphones I've had for training.
      Once you go through the selection of sizes they provide you with, and find the best fit,
      you can just pop them in and forget about them.

I had the over ear holders before and found they lost shape very quickly, becoming useless.

This every day of the week, same as my Bose, this little, but so obvious change has made such a huge difference.

I bet Apple will add feature soon and claim they are the innovators of this development.

Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #13: Jan 23, 2014 03:38:50 am

I've got almost the same ones, in green:
      http://m.bose.co.uk/GB/en/home-and-personal-audio/headphones-and-headsets/sport-headphones/bose-sie2i-sport-headphones/

Very light and comfortable with fantastic sound, great for running.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #14: Jan 23, 2014 09:52:14 pm
      I bought some cheap sony headphones in the end. They do the job but of course, I've had earphones that are of a much higher quality. I suppose to source also has to be of a high quality.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #15: Jan 23, 2014 10:40:46 pm
      I bought some cheap sony headphones in the end. They do the job but of course, I've had earphones that are of a much higher quality. I suppose to source also has to be of a high quality.

It's a tricky one to be honest, mate. People can be very snobby about audio quality and insist in the highest rates possible but the difference to most human ears can be negligible once you get above a certain level. An iPod filled with music ripped from CDs and encoded at anything above 192 should be good enough and 320 will be about as perfect as you'll get.
      So as you say, the source is important but perhaps more important is the headphone quality. I paid a lot for those BOSE but I trusted them to provide good quality sound. Then it was a case of finding ones that were also comfortable and wouldn't fall out when running it cycling (unsupported buds tend to). I've no doubt that I could have bought cheaper ones that would do a similar job but they are so light and comfortable that if I wasn't playing music through them, I'd forget I had them on. Also, they provide rich, deep sound without completely blocking out external sounds, important when exercising outdoors.
      If those Sony ones are comfortable and sound good, don't let anybody tell you that you should have bought expensive ones because the difference might not be all that noticeable to you personally.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #16: Jan 24, 2014 04:26:37 am
      My sister has a pair of Sennheiser's and they're great. Can't remember the model or price but seems they're all good to purchase.

I myself have a pair of Beats by Dre and they're pretty good. Better value elsewhere though. Can't run in them because they tend to fall out but the sound quality is good, they're durable and they look good.
      Bl00D
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 750 posts |
      Reply #17: Jan 24, 2014 12:23:07 pm
      Got a nice pair of skullcandy uprocks for xmas (£25 ish), sound really good, only problem I have with them is they dont have there own volume control, but still quite cheap and good value. and the skull looks nice too ;D :)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #18: Jan 24, 2014 03:38:51 pm
      My skullcandy pair broke in two months. I had three pairs of them and all the same. Ended up getting a refund.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #19: Jan 24, 2014 06:00:29 pm
      I have a pair of House of Marley headphones with the integrated mic and volume controls for use with my iPhone. They are pretty good. Questioning the durability but the sound is good and the price wasn't too bad...around 40 USD. I don't know how much that is in silver. ;D
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #20: Feb 08, 2014 12:47:07 am
      Bought myself some Audio Technica ATH-M50

As you can see, they are incredibly chunky as they are designed toward studio use. They are slightly on the expensive side, but best bang for buck without a doubt. Did good research on them, and they are much favoured over most of the beats range and also cheaper than the entire beats range. The clarity is amazing, and let's you appreciate the more subtle sounds which tend not to be audible with cheaper headphones. The balance is perfect - they are not heavy on bass like the beats. 10/10

I've also tried out the beats Solo which are £169. Not just are these M50's £70 cheaper, but the sound quality is also far superior!
      Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 760 posts | 38 
      Reply #21: Feb 11, 2014 11:24:01 am
      Depends what you want them for, if it's just for going down the pub or an hours walk Sennheisers are perfect for between £20-25. Anything more serious look a little higher!.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #22: Feb 11, 2014 11:40:39 am
      Only use mine, for the large part, to listen to podcasts, so quality really doesn't matter hugely, as the content is more the quality of what's being said, barring Barry Glendenning, not how you hear it.  What does matter is, that no matter what I spend, and I have in the range of £10-£40, no pair has lasted more than 2-3 months.  Usually I lose the left hand bud first, or at the very least the sound becomes I started buying some cheap £3-£5 ones from Asda, they usually last about the same, but are far less annoying, cost wise, to replace and they, so far have lasted in the same time frame, last pair hit the 3 months mark, the set before nearly 4 months, making up for the 8 week pair before that.

Quick Reply