Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

UEFA Youth League

Read 23025 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: UEFA Youth League
      Reply #230: Nov 26, 2014 04:01:01 pm
      Pretty close this then, comes down to our last game against Basel, which should be tough. I imagine Real will win against Ludogorets, so we have to beat Basel.

Madrid game is a gimme.
      Liverpool need to beat Basel.
      Bier
      Reply #231: Nov 26, 2014 04:03:19 pm
      Been very impressed with this young Ajax side I just watched, ended up winning 3-6 away against PSG. They've basically won their group now, which included Barcelona too.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #232: Nov 26, 2014 04:07:23 pm
      Been very impressed with this young Ajax side I just watched, ended up winning 3-6 away against PSG. They've basically won their group now, which included Barcelona too.

How do they play in comparison to our youth team? what makes them so impressive and any stand out players?
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #233: Nov 26, 2014 04:10:37 pm
      Maybe we should stick the youth team out again tonight. It's not like they could be any worse than the senior side :roll:
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #234: Nov 26, 2014 04:44:35 pm

That's great.
      Bier
      Reply #235: Nov 26, 2014 05:43:52 pm
      How do they play in comparison to our youth team? what makes them so impressive and any stand out players?

I made a very elaborate post but lost it somehow when I clicked "post". But to summarise it. Ajax youth teams are always fairly impressive, and always play creative attacking football, alot of good combinations, technically very sound, every player very confident in possession. They tend to be very solid as a team tactically as many of their players are brought through their own youth ranks from a young age, they understand their philosphy. But this specific youth team is regarded as a golden generation by insiders, the first talents to have been developed in Cruijff's restructured academy. Alot of individual quality. El Azzouzi was their stand out player today with 4 goals and 1 assist. But I really like Nouri too, their most creative player. But they have a bunch more talent. Youth teams tend to be a bit more inconsistent and unpredictable, but ignoring that I'd say Ajax are among the favourites to win this.

Would be lovely to beat them though, we still have to pay them back for nextgen, we haven't played them since have we?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #236: Nov 26, 2014 05:51:26 pm
      I made a very elaborate post but lost it somehow when I clicked "post". But to summarise it. Ajax youth teams are always fairly impressive, and always play creative attacking football, alot of good combinations, technically very sound, every player very confident in possession. They tend to be very solid as a team tactically as many of their players are brought through their own youth ranks from a young age, they understand their philosphy. But this specific youth team is regarded as a golden generation by insiders, the first talents to have been developed in Cruijff's restructured academy. Alot of individual quality. El Azzouzi was their stand out player today with 4 goals and 1 assist. But I really like Nouri too, their most creative player. But they have a bunch more talent. Youth teams tend to be a bit more inconsistent and unpredictable, but ignoring that I'd say Ajax are among the favourites to win this.

Would be lovely to beat them though, we still have to pay them back for nextgen, we haven't played them since have we?

Speaking of which, what happened to Fischer?
      Bier
      Reply #237: Nov 26, 2014 06:11:45 pm
      Speaking of which, what happened to Fischer?

Long term injury, out for 9 months. Only recently back in training. But before that he was miserably out of form last season, after a great first season. He's actually going to have a very hard time getting back into their starting line up, as two 19 year old wingers have broken into their first team recently and are looking very promising. El Ghazi and Kishna.

On a sidenote, Kishna pulled this move past weekend, had the whole stadium go wild:
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,084 posts | 966 
      Reply #238: Nov 26, 2014 06:15:26 pm
      Maybe we should stick the youth team out again tonight. It's not like they could be any worse than the senior side :roll:

I'll second that, they'd probably do better even after playing this afternoon.
      Failing that, let's hope the 1st team are inspired by the youth team!

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #239: Dec 08, 2014 02:25:21 pm
      Big game for the youngsters tomorrow afternoon but they're more than capable of getting the required result.  I'm looking forward to watching them again as I've missed a few this season with work.

Liverpool's U19 youngsters face FC Basel on Tuesday afternoon in a crunch UEFA Youth League tie at St Helens Langtree Park, and you can watch the whole game live on LFCTV from 1.30pm GMT.

Neil Critchley's side must win by two clear goals to qualify for the last 16 of the competition so it's all set to be a fascinating encounter.

Kick-off is at 2pm but for the best build-up to the game, join Steve Hothersall live at Langtree Park at 1.30pm alongside former Reds David Fairclough and Mark Wright.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #240: Dec 08, 2014 09:38:20 pm
      Big game for the youngsters tomorrow afternoon but they're more than capable of getting the required result.  I'm looking forward to watching them again as I've missed a few this season with work.

Liverpool's U19 youngsters face FC Basel on Tuesday afternoon in a crunch UEFA Youth League tie at St Helens Langtree Park, and you can watch the whole game live on LFCTV from 1.30pm GMT.

Neil Critchley's side must win by two clear goals to qualify for the last 16 of the competition so it's all set to be a fascinating encounter.

Kick-off is at 2pm but for the best build-up to the game, join Steve Hothersall live at Langtree Park at 1.30pm alongside former Reds David Fairclough and Mark Wright.

Good luck lads .
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #241: Dec 09, 2014 01:01:32 pm
      Confirmed #LFC U19s team to face FC Basel:
      Fulton, Whelan, Hart, Cleary, Maguire, Rossiter, Canos, Chirivella, Sinclair, Kent, Ojo.

#LFCU19s substitutes: Phillips, Firth, O’Hanlon, Ejaria, Brewitt, Marsh, Alexander.
      Watch the game live on @LFCTV HD from 1.30pm GMT.

So much for the Ojo rumours.

Looking forward to this.
      Chirivella especially.

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #242: Dec 09, 2014 01:44:26 pm
      Harry Wilson injured? :(
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #243: Dec 09, 2014 01:49:02 pm
      F***ing visitors!!  Nearly forgot about this but they've gone now so can concentrate on the match.

Looking forward to this more than tonights game tbh, not a great thing to say but it sums up our senior season perfectly.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #244: Dec 09, 2014 01:50:59 pm
      Confirmed #LFC U19s team to face FC Basel:
      Fulton, Whelan, Hart, Cleary, Maguire, Rossiter, Canos, Chirivella, Sinclair, Kent, Ojo.

#LFCU19s substitutes: Phillips, Firth, O’Hanlon, Ejaria, Brewitt, Marsh, Alexander.
      Watch the game live on @LFCTV HD from 1.30pm GMT.

So much for the Ojo rumours.

Looking forward to this.
      Chirivella especially.

I've not seen much of Chirivella play so really looking forward to that aspect of the game too mate.  He's been playing very well recently too, from what i've heard.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #245: Dec 09, 2014 01:58:43 pm
      I've not seen much of Chirivella play so really looking forward to that aspect of the game too mate.  He's been playing very well recently too, from what i've heard.

yeah, I too haven't seen much of him, so would be interested to see if the hype surrounding him is true :D

For those who do not have LFCTV, here is a link to watch the game:

http://www.soccer2all.net/index.php?channel=3
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #246: Dec 09, 2014 02:04:14 pm
      Ryan Kent started well again, he loves his tricks  :D
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #247: Dec 09, 2014 02:12:22 pm
      Need to win by 2 goals to progress.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #248: Dec 09, 2014 02:13:16 pm
      Great chance.

Rossiter hits Kent though. :(

Edit: With the ball.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #249: Dec 09, 2014 02:15:03 pm
      Need to win by 2 goals to progress.

We do but they're defending well so far.  Need to be patient and take our chances when they arrive mate.  Got to stop falling over in the box though, this ref isn't giving us anything so far.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #250: Dec 09, 2014 02:24:53 pm
      This ref needs to loosen up.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #251: Dec 09, 2014 02:26:24 pm
      Cleary is all over the place. He needs to calm down and get the basics right.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #252: Dec 09, 2014 02:27:51 pm
      Cleary is all over the place. He needs to calm down and get the basics right.

Basel quick to press when Liverpool have the ball.
      Some of the passes a bit rushed/sloppy as a result.
      You'd think that would be something they work on in training.

Quick Reply