Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Colin Pascoe and Mike Marsh - what is their worth to the team?

Read 8361 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Colin Pascoe and Mike Marsh - what is their worth to the team?
      Mar 13, 2014 04:59:32 pm
      Behind every good man is a good woman (supposedly) and behind every good football manager is a good coaching staff.

We had a long list of fantastic assistant managers and even further down the line than that. I think even the dimmest members of this forum, know the term "Liverpool Boot Room". That's really where it started. Bill Shankly, had a great coaching staff behind him. From Bob Paisley to Joe Fagan to Ronnie Moran to Roy Evans to the almost forgotten man Reuben Bennett. Four of those men went on to manage the club in some degree (Ronnie as caretaker) and all had some level of success because of those around them as much as those on the pitch. Bob had Joe beside him, Joe had Ronnie as did Roy. The succession of the "Boot Room" proved to be the greatest line of managers in footballing history. Even though not a graduate, as such, of the "Boot Room" Kenny Dalglish had help from there with Bob, Ronnie and Roy all lending a hand to the King.

Then moving on to Roy Evans, who still had Ronnie Moran beside him, added others like Doug Livermore and Sammy Lee to his backroom staff. And to some degree had a level of success. The day Roy Evans called time on his Liverpool career (a day I'll never forget by the way) opened the door for Gerard Houllier to bring Phil Thompson, while retaining Sammy Lee, to his coaching staff and once again success, to some degree, followed. Rafa Benitez had Pako there beside him for a few years and to this day some still say we lost our way once Pako left. Alex Miller and Pelligrino are hardly remembered for their stints on the Liverpool coaching staff. Sammy Lee did return at the end of the 2007/08 season and we went on to have our best season in the Premiership the following year.

A lot of people talk about Kenny's return in a bad light but one person who stands out is his assistant Steve Clarke. Somebody many have clamoured for us to bring back to the club.

Which brings us to the current pairing behind Brendan and their importance and/or worth to the team and even the club as a whole. While watching the matches, they don't seem to have too much input vocally or the passion of a Moran/Thompson/Lee but surely they are playing a role in our success aren't they?

In my opinion, the worth they bring is as follows - Pascoe, has worked with Brendan for a number of years so he knows the way Brendan will want his players to play. He'll know what Brendan expects from his players and how to get it out of them. Marshy, I think brings a supporter's love for the club to the coaching side. He may not be as visually passionate as those I mentioned earlier (or even Brendan) but he is a lifelong Liverpool fan - that always helps on the coaching staff. He also knows a lot of the youngsters who have broke through under Brendan because he coached them in the years before and I think that helps them when they first make the grade.

So while Brendan is taking the plaudits, I think we must remember that every good manager has a good coaching staff behind him.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Re: Colin Pascoe and Mike Marsh - what is their worth to the team?
      Reply #1: Mar 13, 2014 05:08:19 pm
      I suppose if I'm going to trust Brendan to manage the team, I'll also have to trust his judgment in who he brings with him to help him achieve his goals.
      If Brendan is going to take the plaudits, so to must his back room staff.
      I know nothing of Colin Pascoe's credentials, but since the team is doing so well, he must be doing his job well enough.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #2: Mar 13, 2014 05:14:02 pm
      nice thread DLS... i think both CP and MM are often overlooked.  With a club as massive as LFC, BR really cannot physically do everything.  CP and MM are there to hep ensure BR's vision / strategy / directions are accurately executed.

With the progress our team has made over the past 18months.. the development of young players... I believe they are doing their job well.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3: Mar 13, 2014 05:25:13 pm
      Brendan would be the first to acknowledge the contribution of these guys to our football this season as the players will I'm sure. Clearly a coaching setup based on ideas, flexibility and trust.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #4: Mar 13, 2014 05:26:10 pm
      BR is also out on the training ground every day.

I'm going to assume he meets with his coaches, and they plan the sessions depending on who the opposition is for the next game, then break down the sessions into the first team playing against the rest how BR and the coaches think the opposition will line up, then breaking it down further into individual sessions with each player regarding positional play, targeting defenders and so forth.

I'd imagine that BR takes a position of overview, then the coaches go more into detail with each of them having different areas to cover.

He seems to have instilled a culture of quiet confidence, and quite often during matches you can see them having a little chat, usually before making a sub or a positional change, but perhaps most importantly comparing notes and coming to a quick conclusion about what is needed.

I like the fact there's very little in the way of histrionics from our bench. Just a calm measured approach, with a discussion, a consensus and then a change when needed.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #5: Mar 13, 2014 05:41:19 pm
      Colin Pascoe's record in charge of Liverpool: 1-0-0 :scarf:

Seriously though, there's not really a way of knowing what each coach is doing unless it's been explicitly stated. Can't fault the job any of them are doing.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #6: Mar 13, 2014 05:58:30 pm
      The success of the coaching team had nothing to do with their association with Liverpool. bit their association with the manager of the time, i.e. they'd both known and worked together for a long time. It was the level of trust, being on the same page that made it work. Since Brendan's coaching staff have worked together for some time, there's that level of trust, of not needing to say certain things but intimately knowing how each other works and being able to put your trust in them. So in that regard, I'd say they bring a lot to the table.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #7: Mar 14, 2014 07:12:21 am
      Good question. In all honesty we don't really know their worth.

I have heard rumours, I think they came from this site - that Pascoe is in a relationship with someone in Rodgers's family  ??? (kin'el don't quote me on that, I'm rattling my brain to think about this one and it maybe off target somewhat)

I think it was on this site, that some people inferred that Pascoe and Marsh are 'yes men' that may not be willing to rock the boat, especially if one of them is tied to the Rodgers' family through marriage. Don't know how much truth is in it TBH.

I did read an opinion from a footballer (article that may have been from this site too)  ??? that he had worked with Pascoe and didn't think much of him. Whether this was a personal issue that marred the professional perspective, again I don't know.

But one thing I will say, neither seem to be, or look like defensive coaches. Unlike Steve Clarke, you could visibly see the defensive work he'd done on the training ground during games.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #8: Mar 14, 2014 08:39:04 am

I have heard rumours, I think they came from this site - that Pascoe is in a relationship with someone in Rodgers's family  ??? (kin'el don't quote me on that, I'm rattling my brain to think about this one and it maybe off target somewhat)

I think that was Brendan who said it on the this is Liverpool documentary at the beginning if last season.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #9: Mar 14, 2014 09:03:17 am

I think it was on this site, that some people inferred that Pascoe and Marsh are 'yes men' that may not be willing to rock the boat, especially if one of them is tied to the Rodgers' family through marriage. Don't know how much truth is in it TBH.

I did read an opinion from a footballer (article that may have been from this site too)  ??? that he had worked with Pascoe and didn't think much of him. Whether this was a personal issue that marred the professional perspective, again I don't know.

But one thing I will say, neither seem to be, or look like defensive coaches. Unlike Steve Clarke, you could visibly see the defensive work he'd done on the training ground during games.

I'd agree with most of this as it's difficult to tell how much they add to the club.

There has been a few times on here where they, Pascoe in particular, were called 'yes men' but then you have to ask if that's such a bad thing. Maybe it's good for Brendan to have guys around him who he trusts and makes him more comfortable to do his job.

At the end of the day though we are where we are with these men in place so maybe any perceived negatives are outweighed by their good points.
      « Last Edit: Mar 14, 2014 10:34:03 am by srslfc »
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #10: Mar 14, 2014 09:58:33 am

It's Pascoe's son with Rodgers' daughter.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #11: Mar 14, 2014 10:10:43 am

Poor kid will come out with massive white knashers and a pair of shorts and shin pads on
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #12: Mar 14, 2014 10:32:44 am
      There has been a few times on here where they, Pascoe in aprticular, were called 'yes men' but then you have to ask if that's such a bad thing. Maybe it's good for Brendan to have guys around him who he trusts and makes him more comfortable to do his job.

The problem with 'yes men' is they're only useful when things are going well and the person in charge is getting everything right. In that sense they still offer nothing but confirmation for the person in charge that their ideas are sound. I would never employ a yes man I would much prefer someone who could challenge me on something they felt strongly about and offer their own well balanced opinion when I ask for advice. If I can't take that advice onboard constructively then that's my problem.

I have said for a long time that I would love to see a coach come in with a defensive mindset to counter balance Rodgers incredible attacking style, but even more than that to bring a defensive organisation that we clearly lack. Set-pieces are more about organisation than they are about personnel for me, when you look at the talent pool Pulis works with and then you watch how they handle set-pieces it is the one part of his coaching he gets near enough spot on and as horrible as it is to give the man credit it's why he does manage to make teams avoid the drop with poor players. That, for me, is what quality coaching is about, it's getting more out of a group than their collective individual talents should reap and Brendan has that in spades in the attacking sense but I still feel he needs that word in his ear defensively and neither Pascoe nor Marsh seem to be the answer.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #13: Mar 14, 2014 01:22:57 pm
      No man runs a team on his own. Our season is as much down to there role as Brendans or any player in my book
      HKIred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 751 posts | 34 
      Reply #14: Mar 14, 2014 02:12:17 pm
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #15: Mar 15, 2014 03:26:21 am

Correct, though they broke up over a year ago now.

For supporters, it's difficult to tell what sort of job the backroom staff are doing. We can guess, sometimes perhaps make educated guesses but in all honesty, we simply don't know. All we do know is that the results on the pitch have been nothing short of superb and this surely means that the backroom staff are doing their respective jobs as well as Brendan is doing his.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #16: Oct 29, 2014 04:49:34 pm
      As regards Pascoe, has the club been monitoring this site? I haven't heard a peep out of him since he came here and now he's come in for criticism (esp' on here) he's been on the radio non-stop for the last three days.

You watching us LFC?

:tv_horror:
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #17: Oct 29, 2014 04:58:06 pm
      As regards Pascoe, has the club been monitoring this site? I haven't heard a peep out of him since he came here and now he's come in for criticism (esp' on here) he's been on the radio non-stop for the last three days.

You watching us LFC?

:tv_horror:

I'd be very surprised if the club weren't keeping an eye on the various LFC forums.
      At least the more frequented ones anyway.
      The best focus groups are the ones which don't know they are focus groups, plus it can be done for sod all money, so for me it's a no brainer to monitor forums.
      I daresay they have someone who joins as well.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #18: Oct 29, 2014 05:34:53 pm
      I'd be very surprised if the club weren't keeping an eye on the various LFC forums.
      The best focus groups are the ones which don't know they are focus groups, plus it can be done for sod all money, so for me it's a no brainer to monitor forums.

We had someone a few years ago on here who 'claimed' to have been hired by Hicks and Gillette.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #19: Oct 29, 2014 06:48:11 pm
      We had someone a few years ago on here who 'claimed' to have been hired by Hicks and Gillette.

That wouldn't surprise me either, although it would be a bit F***ing daft to give the game away, assuming he/she was telling the truth.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #20: Oct 29, 2014 07:02:43 pm
      I'm sure players that are mentioned here are picked by the press and published as some sort of fact that we are about to sign said player.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #21: Oct 29, 2014 07:10:37 pm

Given some of the absolute bollocks I read in here sometimes from 'fans' I'd say that this particular focus group has the focus of a group of 4 year olds full of pink lemonade.

If you're correct mate (I am inclined to agree with you) then who monitors it and whoever that may be must have told BR that Pascoes getting battered (see: image conflicted) and to send him out on a charm offensive, IMHO he was about as charming as Mr Punch.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #22: Oct 29, 2014 07:21:33 pm
      Given some of the absolute bollocks I read in here sometimes from 'fans' I'd say that this particular focus group has the focus of a group of 4 year olds full of pink lemonade.

If you're correct mate (I am inclined to agree with you) then who monitors it and whoever that may be must have told BR that Pascoes getting battered (see: image conflicted) and to send him out on a charm offensive, IMHO he was about as charming as Mr Punch.

Wait. Do people not like Colin Pascoe? I thought the song the Kop sang about his shorts was an affectionate tune.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #23: Oct 29, 2014 08:00:54 pm

I haven't seen or heard any of his interviews yet, including post match, so I can't really comment.
      I do find it surprising that he has suddenly been thrust into the spotlight.

And he still reminds me of Lurch.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #24: Oct 29, 2014 08:13:29 pm
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #25: Oct 29, 2014 08:24:03 pm
      Thanks Saint.

Fairly standard stuff really.
      Talks a lot but doesn't say much.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #26: Oct 29, 2014 08:25:39 pm
      I measure them up against Sammy Lee and Thommo .

(Cant comment more.)

On the second vid Mike Marsh looks like Max Headroom.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #27: Oct 29, 2014 08:32:59 pm

A modern Director Of Comms is gong to have all that monitored.

Just hope there is no piss take with a Plant from America  or a Son Of A  bi*ch

Know what I mean like ...................... ?    ;D

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #28: Oct 29, 2014 11:05:30 pm

Can't say that did anything to change my opinion of the fella.

Imagine the different answers and knowledge you'd have had from Carra for example.

We're not in the game to be nice and look after our friends, we're in it to win and I feel Assistant Manager is certainly a position we could improve massively upon.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #29: Oct 29, 2014 11:44:04 pm
      Thanks Saint.

Fairly standard stuff really.
      Talks a lot but doesn't say much.

Yep, standard alright.

'What do you do as a coach to help Balotelli?' (or something along those lines)

'he stays behind and does shooting practice and practices his passing'

If that had been anymore technical, I would have had to have grabbed Arrigo Saachi's footballing thesaurus for Dummies to translate that.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,868 posts | 1465 
      Reply #30: Oct 29, 2014 11:47:08 pm

Oh yea, I have been sent to monitor you guys. And I have defended my colleagues through good and bad. :lmao:
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #31: Oct 30, 2014 06:33:50 am
      I don't think we know enough about what they do to be making judgements on them or if they are good enough. All we can really do is judge whether the team has done well enough at the end of the season and judge them on that.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #32: Oct 30, 2014 08:13:23 am
      I don't think we know enough about what they do to be making judgements on them or if they are good enough. All we can really do is judge whether the team has done well enough at the end of the season and judge them on that.

Agree.

Also with Brendan being such a hands on manager in regards to coaching it could be argued any coach we possibly bring in to replace them would have minimal impact.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #33: Oct 30, 2014 09:03:07 am
      Re Fenway surveillance unit...haha

Its almost funny really. The buggers never watch a match. Yet they pay some turkeys to pretend to be Reds fans and blert on about "a wonderful, fiscally prudent Summer draft window - lets bring it on!", and other such sh*te.

I know this lot have spent a huge amt of time on sickly pr campaigns. The boutique finance house advising them, Inner Circle Sports, actually advised the previous 2 buggers. Pr companies (not the prime one, the ancillary net marketing consultants) would have took over work just like cleaners and accountants would.

Even user names on forums would be taken over when the club was sold. Because ultimately if someone can make a few quid/dollars, then pretty much anything will be done. Internet forums currently tend to be the newer fans OR fans who have a fairly high tolerance of pisstaking by owners. I know lots of fans, who avoid forums due to their view of the current owners.

Probably the current epitomy of "Plant Central" would have to be that Rawk place. It  seemed to go really pro Fenway extremist after Henry met some of em, and got progressively worse and worse. I know people who worked as plants on music and film forums. Their bosses even told them to use their personal Facebook ids to add credibility. Even unpaid interns are used, so you can get a hell of a lot of garbage posted for very little money. Imagine how many posts one intern or Fillipinos you could get for a few dollars!

One of the supermarkets tried this trick with a planning application. Fortunately they were eventually rumbled and given a big fine. The sad part is that while football online pr work is on the margins of the law, I don't think anyone has actually been charged with anything yet.

Anyway "in Fenway we trust"... (and other canned pr phrases).
       :roll: NOT
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #34: Oct 30, 2014 09:15:11 am
      Their worth?  Judging by what some posters have written, they're right up there with the tea lady. ;)
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,965 posts | 3944 
      Reply #35: Oct 30, 2014 09:26:29 am
      Re Fenway surveillance unit...haha

Its almost funny really. The buggers never watch a match. Yet they pay some turkeys to pretend to be Reds fans and blert on about "a wonderful, fiscally prudent Summer draft window - lets bring it on!", and other such sh*te.

I know this lot have spent a huge amt of time on sickly pr campaigns. The boutique finance house advising them, Inner Circle Sports, actually advised the previous 2 buggers. Pr companies (not the prime one, the ancillary net marketing consultants) would have took over work just like cleaners and accountants would.

Even user names on forums would be taken over when the club was sold. Because ultimately if someone can make a few quid/dollars, then pretty much anything will be done. Internet forums currently tend to be the newer fans OR fans who have a fairly high tolerance of pisstaking by owners. I know lots of fans, who avoid forums due to their view of the current owners.

Probably the current epitomy of "Plant Central" would have to be that Rawk place. It  seemed to go really pro Fenway extremist after Henry met some of em, and got progressively worse and worse. I know people who worked as plants on music and film forums. Their bosses even told them to use their personal Facebook ids to add credibility. Even unpaid interns are used, so you can get a hell of a lot of garbage posted for very little money. Imagine how many posts one intern or Fillipinos you could get for a few dollars!

One of the supermarkets tried this trick with a planning application. Fortunately they were eventually rumbled and given a big fine. The sad part is that while football online pr work is on the margins of the law, I don't think anyone has actually been charged with anything yet.

Anyway "in Fenway we trust"... (and other canned pr phrases).
       :roll: NOT

Undoubtedly the popular communication mediums including Facebook, forums, twatter etc are awash with wind ups and plants of one kind or another, there were instances of the previous cunty owners using agents on this very forum more than once.
      Fortunately the moles were quickly identified and unceremoniously fu**ed off.
      Just as surely FSG will use the same tactics and while there tenure has us bobbing along in a relatively successful/acceptable manner any possible plants will receive a modicum of tolerance.
      Rest assured however if it does go tits up and having experience upturned tits previously, supporters of LFC will go into the 'protect the club' mode as with the previous cunty owners and there will be no room for bullshitters.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #36: Oct 31, 2014 06:04:16 pm
      Well whoever doing the coaching, they have sipped up by playing one up front, when we clearly offer a greater threat with two. And the defending has been woeful, so they need a shake up f they are responsible for that. The middle of the park, just seems to plod on whoever is in there, it just depends on whats in front of them, as to weather the service is decent or not.
      In a nutshell, coaching has been pretty poor, if the performances are a direct result of it. How long does that go on before changes are made. Not interested in who's been a loyal servant or anything, Just a matter of who's the better coach, getting the best from the players !
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #37: Oct 31, 2014 11:58:29 pm
      Can't say that did anything to change my opinion of the fella.

Imagine the different answers and knowledge you'd have had from Carra for example.

We're not in the game to be nice and look after our friends, we're in it to win and I feel Assistant Manager is certainly a position we could improve massively upon.

Why, what do you want out of him? I have no opinion on these guys either way, but I'm interested to what it is you feel they should be doing and why you feel they should be doing it?
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #38: Nov 01, 2014 03:34:08 am
      A good question by the OP and TBH - I  dunno.

Marshy has got the clearest function and definition - First Team Coach, pretty much self explanatory.

As for Pascoe and the term Assistant Manager...I haven't got a clue. Surely his appointment can't be purely down to nepotism...can it?

With the exception of LFC and the legacy of the Boot Room I can't really think of any Assistant Managers at big clubs or any clubs for that matter going solo and being successful in their own right.

The thing with Rodgers is that he's so young I think he's insecure enough to think that bringing somebody else in now with 'experience' would undermine him. And that I'm afraid to say really is to his detriment. He really has been naive in cup runs and in Europe too.

Paisleydalglish
      Reply #39: Nov 01, 2014 07:57:21 am
      You write some good posts in your time Scally but I'm afraid this isn't one of your best

As for Pascoe and the term Assistant Manager...I haven't got a clue. Surely his appointment can't be purely down to nepotism...can it?

Nepotism? He isn't related to him or are you attempting to suggest that because his son and Pascoe's daughter went out for a short period [after they had been working together already] that he pre-empted that relationship by hiring her dad and now simply out of an awkward situation he simply can't let him go?

With the exception of LFC and the legacy of the Boot Room I can't really think of any Assistant Managers at big clubs or any clubs for that matter going solo and being successful in their own right.

No you're right, we are special, always have been always will be.

But other big clubs don't have big named assistants either, normally someone the manager trusts to work within his structure or an ex player of that side.. You telling me Peter Taylor was a renowned manager in his own right prior to working with Clough? Or that Brian Kidd had done amazing things on his own before being Fergies two? Or Mulenstein/Phelan or whoever? Steve Clarke under Mourinho the first time round?

I'm sure beyond our walls not many had heard of the likes of Bob or Joe or Roy Evans beyond being coaches and assosiated with the club prior to taking the job themselves.

The thing with Rodgers is that he's so young I think he's insecure enough to think that bringing somebody else in now with 'experience' would undermine him.

Young? He is nearly 40, now that may be 'young' I guess in coaching terms but not in life, he isn't a meek 12 year old changing schools, he knows what he is doing and has a clear idea..
      Would having Trapitoni as his assistant really achieve anything?

We really don't know what goes on in training but for me a manager lives and dies by all decisions he makes, he shouldn't be forcedto bring in a coach who he doesn't want to work with because we don't know what happens at Melwood.

If he fails they will all be gone

He hasn't yet, let the man get on with his work people

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #40: Nov 01, 2014 08:18:01 am
      Brendan Rodgers: Liverpool boss criticised by Rene Meulensteen
      Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers is paying the price for not strengthening his backroom staff, according to former Fulham boss Rene Meulensteen.

Liverpool are nine points off league leaders Chelsea and have lost their last two Champions League group games.

Meulensteen, first-team coach at Manchester United for five years, says Rodgers has made mistakes.

"Brendan Rodgers's biggest failure is that he's not invested in his staff," Meulensteen told BBC Radio 5 live.

Meulensteen, 50, was a key member of Sir Alex Ferguson's backroom team at Old Trafford.

He helped United win three Premier League titles, one Champions League, two League Cups and one Club World Cup while first-team coach between 2008-13.

The Dutchman, who was in charge of Fulham for just two months before he was replaced in February, believes Rodgers should have strengthened his backroom team after the Reds secured a Champions League return after finishing second in the Premier League last season.

Colin Pascoe is Rodgers's assistant while Mike Marsh is first-team coach.

Meulensteen said Rodgers should have appointed someone with Champions League experience before the start of the season.

"He has got there because of his philosophy and I rate him for that," he added.

Play mediaJump media playerMedia player helpOut of media player. Press enter to return or tab to continue.
      Rodgers bemoans 'sloppy' Liverpool

"He has obviously got people around him who he obviously thinks are the right ones.

"But I think he could have done with someone who has been there, seen it and done it.

"Playing in the Premier League and the Champions League, it's a different rhythm that requires a different style of training and a different management strategy through the week. You need to know these things."

Former striker Robbie Fowler, who scored 171 goals in 330 games for Liverpool, told BBC Radio 5 live: "In Brendan's eyes he has the right people at the club.

"Brendan is comfortable with his staff. He has Mike Marsh, who was brought up at Liverpool and knows everything about the club.

"And he has Colin Pascoe, who he has worked with for years. He's comfortable with them."

Meanwhile, Fowler wants midfielder Steven Gerrard to see out his playing career at Anfield.

Skipper Gerrard, 34, said he could join another club next summer if Liverpool do not offer him a new contract.

"Speaking from a selfish point of view, I love Steven Gerrard and I'd love him to stay at Liverpool," said Fowler.

"It's like Ryan Giggs at Manchester United - players come into the club and are instantly lifted by seeing Gerrard.

"He might not be as good as he used to be but he's still a class act.

"The common consensus is that he will go abroad if he did leave Anfield, but if he did become available I think clubs in the Premier League would want him. He's still that good a player."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29859691

Gizza job! I can do that!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #41: Nov 01, 2014 09:33:43 am
      Same article posted in BR thread

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29859691

Quick Reply