Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Managing Games

Read 936 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Managing Games
      Mar 27, 2014 07:14:33 pm
      Over the last few moths I've noticed a phrase that is new to me: that of refs "managing games" when making their decisions.

The theory seems to be that refs have a duty not only to enforce the rules, but also protect the spectacle or the entertainment, and that to do this, they back away from certain decisions such as sending players off early on.

Now I think I can safely assume that refs haven't reached this decision by themselves, and that the FA or prem association have some major input into this, or perhaps even UEFA.

My own view is that this is a load of F***ing bollix.

We witnessed this in action last night against sunnerland, when that vagina fella (can't remember his name ;)  ) should have been sent off not once, but twice in the first half.
      We've seen it before as well this season on too many occasions when players should have been sent off early in the match.

We lost to chelsea when Eto'o should have been sent off in the first 5 minutes.
      Last night we could quite easily have dropped 2 points.

There's lots of other examples, but you get my point.

In my opinion, the ref is there to enforce the rules consistently, objectively and without bias.
      Giving only a yellow (or no booking at all) when the rules say straight red because they "don't want to spoil the game" is a huge F***ing cop out, and being honest, it's really pissing me off.

Forget about spoiling the match or managing games.
      Enforce the rules, do it consistently and to the best of ability without bias.

In other words, do the F***ing job they get paid to do, and forget about TV cameras, pundits, and viewing figures, because what really ruins a game is a ref making a decision that he knows full well is wrong.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Re: Managing Games
      Reply #1: Mar 27, 2014 07:16:55 pm
      My own view is that this is a load of F***ing bollix.

Agree 100% Swab.

The ref should be there to officiate the game and make the call no matter how it affects the 'spectacle'.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #2: Mar 27, 2014 07:20:39 pm
      Agree 100% Swab.

The ref should be there to officiate the game and make the call no matter how it affects the 'spectacle'.

Tell the truth, I was F***ing fuming last night.
      Me shouting and swearing at the TV when a match is on is nothing new, but it went to a different level last night.

When Suarez was fouled by the same fella at the side of the box, I'm sure I saw the ref pull his yellow out then put it away again when he saw who it was.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #3: Mar 27, 2014 07:22:16 pm
      It's the shitty comment you hear a lot of ex-pros come out with, 'the ref ruined the game by sending off the player so early'.  Bollocks did he, the one that ruined it was the player, giving the ref no option but to send them off.  I don't want games managed, I want them refereed and what's a red card or booking after 70 minutes is a red card or booking after 7 seconds.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #4: Mar 27, 2014 07:24:29 pm
      It's the shitty comment you hear a lot of ex-pros come out with, 'the ref ruined the game by sending off the player so early'.  Bollocks did he, the one that ruined it was the player, giving the ref no option but to send them off.  I don't want games managed, I want them refereed and what's a red card or booking after 70 minutes is a red card or booking after 7 seconds.

One of andy townsends favourite rent a quotes.

I think that says it all really.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #5: Mar 28, 2014 01:47:36 am
      Totally agree, Swab. In fairness, I'm sure I've witnessed this before now when our captain has gone through a player in the first couple of minutes to "let him know he's in the game". Had it been in the 75th minute, he might have walked.
      I'd have been shouting and swearing, of course but I'd much prefer refs to view each incident with no regard for the time on his watch.

Quick Reply