Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D7 L8

Evidence of man utd favouritism ?

Read 2343 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,196 posts | 2794 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Evidence of man utd favouritism ?
      Mar 28, 2014 08:53:59 am
      From the BBC premier league cheif exec Scudamore says

Manchester United troubles 'affect Premier League brand'
      Manchester United's troubled defence of their Premier League title is harming the English top flight's worldwide brand, says the competition's chief executive Richard Scudamore.

Under new boss "The Chosen One", United are seventh in a disappointing campaign.

The 20-time champions are 18 points adrift of leaders Chelsea.

"It's a double-edged sword," said Scudamore. "When your most popular club isn't doing as well, that costs you interest and audience in some places."

Former Everton manager Moyes has watched the Red Devils suffer 10 defeats in 31 league matches since he replaced Sir Alex Ferguson, who retired last summer after almost 27 years in charge.

His team were knocked out of the FA Cup at the third-round stage before being eliminated from the League Cup in the semi-finals.

They have reached the Champions League quarter-finals, where they will face defending champions Bayern Munich next month.

"There are lots of fans around the world who wish Manchester United were winning it again," added Scudamore.

"But you have to balance that off against, generally, we're in the business of putting on a competition and competition means people can compete."

Overseas television deals will earn the Premier League more than £2bn between 2013 and 2016.

The Premier League sold its domestic broadcasting rights to Sky and BT in a record-breaking deal, worth around £3bn, last year.
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Evidence of man utd favouritism ?
      Reply #1: Mar 28, 2014 09:40:04 am
      He's talking out of his arse, truth be told the premier league has been more competitive this season than it has been for many years with as many as 4 teams battling it out closely for the title up until two weeks ago when Arsenal blinked first, that's a better advertisment for the premier league (sold as the most competitive league in the world) than a one horse race winning it at a canter.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,217 posts | 4917 
      Reply #2: Mar 28, 2014 10:20:28 am
      I'd guess the league will be as popular as ever after this season where we have seen  proper title race.
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #3: Mar 28, 2014 11:06:11 am
      I'm not sure that the legions of United fans from some of the further flung reaches of the globe give two fucks about a competitive Premiership title race, they just want United to win and allow them to bask in that far-away glory. Why do you think they support United in the first place and not Fulham?

The increased tension and fingernail-biting enjoyment of a close title race is probably not that important
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #4: Mar 28, 2014 11:16:15 am
      I'm not sure that the legions of United fans from some of the further flung reaches of the globe give two fucks about a competitive Premiership title race, they just want United to win and allow them to bask in that far-away glory. Why do you think they support United in the first place and not Fulham?

The increased tension and fingernail-biting enjoyment of a close title race is probably not that important
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #5: Mar 28, 2014 11:17:53 am
      From the BBC premier league cheif exec Scudamore says

Manchester United troubles 'affect Premier League brand'
      Manchester United's troubled defence of their Premier League title is harming the English top flight's worldwide brand, says the competition's chief executive Richard Scudamore.

Under new boss "The Chosen One", United are seventh in a disappointing campaign.

The 20-time champions are 18 points adrift of leaders Chelsea.

"It's a double-edged sword," said Scudamore. "When your most popular club isn't doing as well, that costs you interest and audience in some places."

Former Everton manager Moyes has watched the Red Devils suffer 10 defeats in 31 league matches since he replaced Sir Alex Ferguson, who retired last summer after almost 27 years in charge.

His team were knocked out of the FA Cup at the third-round stage before being eliminated from the League Cup in the semi-finals.

They have reached the Champions League quarter-finals, where they will face defending champions Bayern Munich next month.

"There are lots of fans around the world who wish Manchester United were winning it again," added Scudamore.

"But you have to balance that off against, generally, we're in the business of putting on a competition and competition means people can compete."

Overseas television deals will earn the Premier League more than £2bn between 2013 and 2016.

The Premier League sold its domestic broadcasting rights to Sky and BT in a record-breaking deal, worth around £3bn, last year.

Interesting article thanks for posting Brian
      As Daz comments the man is talking out of his ringpiece.
      The longer their skewed dominance of the Prem continued the more detrimental it would prove to the league's perceived credibility together with any overall quality of competition, last season is a prime example. They were league champions yet this season with the same squad their status has nosedived.
      No gradual erosion, no gentle slide in the ratings scale - the mancs have hit the failure button big time.
      By something of a coincidence the architect of their success retired immediately before the crash, the blatant badgering of officials was no more, the foolish mind games and bullying of other managers ceased, the influence within the FA committee was no more but probably the greatest factor is the resurgence of some very credible opposition, making the Premier League once more an interesting proposition.
       Yet the silly fuckers down the Lancs burden Moyes with all the blame for their monumental implosion - long may it continue.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #6: Mar 28, 2014 11:40:44 am

What further flung regions are these??
      What is laughingly called Greater Manchester is awash with fine weather supporters who know F**k all about football in general and are calling for the head of a manager who has had less than a season to groom a team of over-age Madonnas he has inherited from a pretender.
      There is some disquiet in Greater Manchester however as the fury is now being directed at the great pretender, who is in turn pretending he is deaf to avoid embarrassment. 

manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #7: Mar 28, 2014 12:16:40 pm
      What further flung regions are these??
      What is laughingly called Greater Manchester is awash with fine weather supporters who know f**k all about football in general and are calling for the head of a manager who has had less than a season to groom a team of over-age Madonnas he has inherited from a pretender.
      There is some disquiet in Greater Manchester however as the fury is now being directed at the great pretender, who is in turn pretending he is deaf to avoid embarrassment.

Scudamore is quite clearly talking about foreign markets, foreign support and how much the Premiership TV rights are worth globally.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #8: Mar 28, 2014 12:44:39 pm
      Scudamore is quite clearly talking about foreign markets, foreign support and how much the Premiership TV rights are worth globally.
      a lot of people in foreign countries follow liverpool,  the most successful English club in Europe.  Strage how he's failed to mention Liverpool being successful has balanced that out. Some people in foreign countries support liverpool so are happy to see United out the top 4 and a more unpredictable exciting league.  From chelsea liverpool city or Arsenal, which one of these doesn't have global support now? Half the United fans will just support City, Liverpool or Chelsea instead. Or... maybe he's right and the PL is doomed, now everyone will stop watching PL football. ... I doubt that somehow.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,196 posts | 2794 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #9: Mar 28, 2014 12:51:52 pm
      I think hes left himself wide open there with those remarks. A poor utd effects the premier leagues money is basically what hes saying. The premier league wont want that. We have joked for years (well maybe not joked) about the favours they got over the years from refs and how there mamanger or players would get away with things that other clubs managers or players would get done for and then the chief exec comes out with this!

Maybe Im a conspiracy theorist but its a weird thing to say in my eyes.

And as pointed out above by Ribapuru our global pull is as big as utds so we balance that out so why the need to say this? 
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #10: Mar 28, 2014 12:56:34 pm
      I think hes left himself wide open there with those remarks. A poor utd effects the premier leagues money is basically what hes saying. The premier league wont want that. We have joked for years (well maybe not joked) about the favours they got over the years from refs and how there mamanger or players would get away with things that other clubs managers or players would get done for and then the chief exec comes out with this!

Maybe Im a conspiracy theorist but its a weird thing to say in my eyes.

And as pointed out above by Ribapuru our global pull is as big as utds so we balance that out so why the need to say this? 

Correct Brian.

He is also questionably linking the Prem attractiveness to the global following of the mancs and their fall from grace, implying that this might in some way be detrimental to the league's status.
      A highly debatable proposition.
      Where exactly am I faulted in that presumption?
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,428 posts | 4582 
      Reply #11: Mar 28, 2014 03:02:58 pm
      Fact Liverpool FC are challenging & are conducting themselves like the LFC of old on & off pitch makes some feel uncomfortable.

Any old excuse to prop up that shower of sh*te club, damaging the Premier League my arse.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #12: Mar 28, 2014 03:09:09 pm
      a lot of people in foreign countries follow liverpool,  the most successful English club in Europe.  Strage how he's failed to mention Liverpool being successful has balanced that out. Some people in foreign countries support liverpool so are happy to see United out the top 4 and a more unpredictable exciting league.  From chelsea liverpool city or Arsenal, which one of these doesn't have global support now? Half the United fans will just support City, Liverpool or Chelsea instead. Or... maybe he's right and the PL is doomed, now everyone will stop watching PL football. ... I doubt that somehow.

Who's the most supported club in your country?
      Just out of interest
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #13: Mar 28, 2014 03:15:56 pm
      Who's the most supported club in your country?
      Just out of interest
      I'm in and from England so that is hard to answer.   :-\
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #14: Mar 28, 2014 03:16:50 pm
      I'm in and from England so that is hard to answer.   :-\

Really?

Oh I just presumed your were a foreign fan lad
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #15: Mar 28, 2014 03:19:23 pm
      Really?

Oh I just presumed your were a foreign fan lad
      Nah, I'm not foreign but I have some foreign friends.  In the far east, Japan, Thailand and Malaysia I know a few Liverpool fans but no United fans.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #16: Mar 28, 2014 03:21:30 pm
      Nah, I'm not foreign but I have some foreign friends.  In the far east, Japan, Thailand and Malaysia I know a few Liverpool fans but no United fans.

Doesn't matter of you were, I like hearing views from around the world.

Just presumed you were with your posts
      TheRedPanda
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 362 posts | 82 
      Reply #17: Mar 29, 2014 05:51:54 am
      Doesn't matter of you were, I like hearing views from around the world.

Just presumed you were with your posts

I am from India and there are lot of LFC fans here. Needless to say, there are more Manure and Chelshit fans currently.

Yesterday I saw two guys in the office arguing about ManU and ManC and I thought - Wow, even there are Citeh fans in India wondering who did they support 2-3 years back. Another guy told that he is going to support citeh from now onwards instead of the Munts.  :lmao:

Another exiting thing is there is a lot of buzz about Liverpool FC now a days here. Almost everyone keeps on mentioning Suarez and that why it is of utmost importance that he stays with our club in years to come. The way we are playing it wont be long before mot of the glory hunters come to our club. Some will say that we don't need them but I think we need the glory hunters for commercial success if nothing else.

Quick Reply