Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Our most important player on the run in?

Read 8683 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,225 posts | 2805 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Our most important player on the run in?
      Mar 31, 2014 05:37:16 pm
      6 games to go. Its in our hands. Touch wood we stay injury free. Id like to know who everybody thinks will be our most important player on the run in?

Obvious names will come up, Stevie, Luis, Sturridge . But for me I think it will be someone other then those 3 who will step up and drag us over the line. We seen evidence on Sunday that Sterling Flanno and Coutinho have the bottle for it.
      I think at some point in the 6 games Mignolet will be called on to pull of a save or 2 that will lead us to taking points.

I think we will rely on Johnno at times to open up defences and set up a goal or 2 and add 1 or 2 himself

But for me the man who wins Liverpool fc this league is Coutinho. Finally hit the back of  the net Sunday. That will be the key for me now. Hes been playing breath taking football. He is the key to unlocking defences when Suarez is tied up. I see Chelsea parking the bus and I see Cou unlocking it. But most importantly I now see him adding goals

Who in your opinions will be our most important player on the run in
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Re: Our most important player on the run in?
      Reply #1: Mar 31, 2014 05:59:03 pm
      Funny that Brian.

As I was half way through reading your post and you had mentioned about not the usual suspects I started thinking who ......

and it was Coutinho for me.

At times  sublime.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #2: Mar 31, 2014 06:09:32 pm
      Stevie without a question for me.

He'll be the key to holding these guys together when it gets hard going...and it will get hard going at some point. Not to mention will there be anyone on the pitch that will want this more than him? He above all others will understand what it will mean to the club, the city and the supporters and what it means to him. I think we're already seeing a man on a mission that won't allow his team to fail. Started at Man United and right through the Sunderland game....he'll keep us steady.

Good thread by the way!
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,184 posts | 832 
      Reply #3: Mar 31, 2014 06:10:52 pm
      Suarez.

If he stays on top of his game for the last 6 then the title is ours.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #4: Mar 31, 2014 06:14:59 pm
      I don't think there is one as I think they're all important.  I posted a few weeks ago that every single player we have can hurt the opposition in one way or another and I still believe that.

I like that the media and therefore other fans think that it's all about Luis and Danny and the goals they've scored but even if they can be kept quiet during a game others step up.  As you've both mentioned Coutinho and Sterling can cause problems on their own but so can Hendo, Stevie, Skrtel, Glen, Flanno.

They can't go 2 or 3 up on every player....... and where are my smilies!!!!!!!!!!!???????
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #5: Mar 31, 2014 06:17:59 pm
      Outside of the obvious ones it has to be a toss up between Sterling and Coutinho for me. I think against City and Chelsea that Sterling will be more of a factor than Coutinho. Chelsea will sit Matic on Coutinho and as much as I rate the young lad Matic is a handful for anyone and will not nullify Coutinho but will certainly hamper him a good bit. City will of course have Toure there so the key in both those games will be how much joy we can get around the outside of them.

Johnson and Raheem completely destroyed Spurs yesterday and I see no reason why they wouldn't do the same to City who play with an even more aggressive left back. Chelsea will be the tougher nut to crack down that side as they always have a hardworking winger and their left back is very much defensive > offensive.

So for me Raheem will be our most important player for the run in.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #6: Mar 31, 2014 06:23:37 pm
      In fairness the whole season was set up with a fantastic save from Simon Mignolet from the spot in the dying seconds of the first game. I've a hunch that he may have to perform similar heroics again, and/or we'll need a dying seconds sh!t or bust penalty of our own with Stevie taking it.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #7: Mar 31, 2014 06:28:51 pm
      In fairness the whole season was set up with a fantastic save from Simon Mignolet from the spot in the dying seconds of the first game. I've a hunch that he may have to perform similar heroics again, and/or we'll need a dying seconds sh!t or bust penalty of our own with Stevie taking it.

Please not! I don't want an Eidur Gudjohnsen part ii. I want to live to see the end but I guess I've got to accept that these things will happen.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #8: Mar 31, 2014 06:34:07 pm
      I'm torn between Suarez and Gerrard. Suarez obviously because of his all round ability and the fact he's the best player in the league, smashing in the goals and causing havoc and striking terror into the opposition.

Gerrard because he's been there and done it when it matters, he knows what it takes to win trophies and the calm head that's needed in pressurized situations. In 08/09 it wasn't in our hands, we had to rely on the Mancs losing points where as this time it's in our hands and Gerrard is a leader both on and off the pitch and the team will be looking to him! It's the one domestic trophy he is missing so he is going to be more determined than anyone to get his hands on it so he will be inspiring the team all the way.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #9: Mar 31, 2014 06:35:05 pm
      Stevie.

I think his calm head and will to win will be vital I think.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #10: Mar 31, 2014 06:48:16 pm
      Joe Allen.

Might be a strange pick, but we haven't seen the last of Joe and there will be definitely be more opportunities for him out of tactical necessity. We won't play 4-3-3 every game for the rest of the season, so when he's in the side ahead of Sterling or Coutinho, we need him to put in massive performances. We know what to expect from Gerrard, Suarez, Sturridge, Mignolet, etc., but a lot of times the league is won by your squad players stepping up when it counts. That's where someone like Allen becomes a hugely important player.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #11: Mar 31, 2014 06:50:32 pm
      Gerrard 100%

He's the Talisman

He's the one they all look to in times of trouble..
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #12: Mar 31, 2014 07:00:04 pm
      The stage is set now for Steven Gerrard. He knows that we can take these 6 games, just one at a time, and there's nobody who will be cooler between now and the end of the season than him.

He's so good that it doesn't worry me about him getting a yellow in the next 2 games, because I know he won't. He can adapt his game to minimise that risk. No question he wouldn't do anything stupid to get himself banned from the City game especially. Of course it would be nice for us to have the West Ham game wrapped up in time to rest him.

It has to be Gerrard. The more I think about it, whichever team out of us, City and Chelsea that Gerrard was playing for over the next 6 games, would go on to win the league.

Suarez is the undoubted player of the season and so far the top candidate for the next Ballon d'or, but it will be the control of Stevie G over the next 6 that wins us the league.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,225 posts | 2805 
      Reply #13: Mar 31, 2014 07:48:36 pm

Not strange at all. Exactly the kind of player who might be vital on the run in. EG Stevie gets suspended Allen steps in and does the job
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #14: Mar 31, 2014 08:01:04 pm
      Suarez.

If he stays on top of his game for the last 6 then the title is ours.
      Fachtt!
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #15: Mar 31, 2014 08:10:13 pm
      Agree that Coutinho has hit good form, as have several other players. Luis is vital.

But it's Stevie G for me. The Chelsea & City games are the biggies - and the team needs it's Captain for them. The other games too obviously, but critical for them. When Lucas came on yesterday, he looked rusty. SG has made that position his own. He can steady the ship from there, lead, encourage, berate. He has been immense. And nobody deserves to win the title more than him. I will be a soppy mess if Stevie G lifts the PL trophy, guaranteed. It would be a dream come true, a fairytale end to a brilliant career. BELIEVE.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #16: Mar 31, 2014 08:12:20 pm
      I think Coutinho will kick on now and participate in the goals. But the answer has to be Stevie. He wants this more than anyone.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #17: Mar 31, 2014 08:31:16 pm
      Our victory over the spuds showed everyone is up for it, it's good to see that there is no obvious weak link.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,225 posts | 2805 
      Reply #18: Mar 31, 2014 08:36:05 pm
      Our victory over the spuds showed everyone is up for it, it's good to see that there is no obvious weak link.

No not that we have weak links but that 1 player on the run in will step up and do something to win us the title. We know what Stevie and SAS will offer but when they are bottled up or have a quiet game who will give that spark mate to nick us a vital 1 nil for example
      boomsopolis
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 191 posts |
      Reply #19: Mar 31, 2014 08:42:03 pm
      I think Hendo will be a vital cog. His energy in midfield is amazing and he'll still be making lung-busting runs in the 94th minute of the last game but will he be the one to step up an make the difference? Probably not!

I think Raheem will be the one to make the most telling contribution. He was amazing against Spurs and although he won't start every game the ones he does will see displays like yesterday's.

Can I plump for BR?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #20: Mar 31, 2014 08:56:57 pm
      No not that we have weak links but that 1 player on the run in will step up and do something to win us the title. We know what Stevie and SAS will offer but when they are bottled up or have a quiet game who will give that spark mate to nick us a vital 1 nil for example

Fair play Brian but I honestly think any of them are capable of doing the orders on the day if called upon.
      Zebedee
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 93 posts |
      Reply #21: Mar 31, 2014 08:57:00 pm
      Stevie G definitely,his leadership is needed to push the rest of the squad and him having previous experience on this level knows what is stake.Capt fantastic all the way!
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,688 posts | 3709 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #22: Mar 31, 2014 09:02:57 pm
      1. Jones
      2. Johnson
      3. Enrique
      4. Toure
      5. Agger
      6. Alberto
      7. Suarez
      8. Gerrard
      9. Aspas
      10. Coutinho
      12. Moses