Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Our most important player on the run in?

Read 8674 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,112 posts | 2766 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Our most important player on the run in?
      Mar 31, 2014 05:37:16 pm
      6 games to go. Its in our hands. Touch wood we stay injury free. Id like to know who everybody thinks will be our most important player on the run in?

Obvious names will come up, Stevie, Luis, Sturridge . But for me I think it will be someone other then those 3 who will step up and drag us over the line. We seen evidence on Sunday that Sterling Flanno and Coutinho have the bottle for it.
      I think at some point in the 6 games Mignolet will be called on to pull of a save or 2 that will lead us to taking points.

I think we will rely on Johnno at times to open up defences and set up a goal or 2 and add 1 or 2 himself

But for me the man who wins Liverpool fc this league is Coutinho. Finally hit the back of  the net Sunday. That will be the key for me now. Hes been playing breath taking football. He is the key to unlocking defences when Suarez is tied up. I see Chelsea parking the bus and I see Cou unlocking it. But most importantly I now see him adding goals

Who in your opinions will be our most important player on the run in
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Re: Our most important player on the run in?
      Reply #1: Mar 31, 2014 05:59:03 pm
      Funny that Brian.

As I was half way through reading your post and you had mentioned about not the usual suspects I started thinking who ......

and it was Coutinho for me.

At times  sublime.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #2: Mar 31, 2014 06:09:32 pm
      Stevie without a question for me.

He'll be the key to holding these guys together when it gets hard going...and it will get hard going at some point. Not to mention will there be anyone on the pitch that will want this more than him? He above all others will understand what it will mean to the club, the city and the supporters and what it means to him. I think we're already seeing a man on a mission that won't allow his team to fail. Started at Man United and right through the Sunderland game....he'll keep us steady.

Good thread by the way!
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,164 posts | 829 
      Reply #3: Mar 31, 2014 06:10:52 pm
      Suarez.

If he stays on top of his game for the last 6 then the title is ours.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #4: Mar 31, 2014 06:14:59 pm
      I don't think there is one as I think they're all important.  I posted a few weeks ago that every single player we have can hurt the opposition in one way or another and I still believe that.

I like that the media and therefore other fans think that it's all about Luis and Danny and the goals they've scored but even if they can be kept quiet during a game others step up.  As you've both mentioned Coutinho and Sterling can cause problems on their own but so can Hendo, Stevie, Skrtel, Glen, Flanno.

They can't go 2 or 3 up on every player....... and where are my smilies!!!!!!!!!!!???????
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #5: Mar 31, 2014 06:17:59 pm
      Outside of the obvious ones it has to be a toss up between Sterling and Coutinho for me. I think against City and Chelsea that Sterling will be more of a factor than Coutinho. Chelsea will sit Matic on Coutinho and as much as I rate the young lad Matic is a handful for anyone and will not nullify Coutinho but will certainly hamper him a good bit. City will of course have Toure there so the key in both those games will be how much joy we can get around the outside of them.

Johnson and Raheem completely destroyed Spurs yesterday and I see no reason why they wouldn't do the same to City who play with an even more aggressive left back. Chelsea will be the tougher nut to crack down that side as they always have a hardworking winger and their left back is very much defensive > offensive.

So for me Raheem will be our most important player for the run in.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #6: Mar 31, 2014 06:23:37 pm
      In fairness the whole season was set up with a fantastic save from Simon Mignolet from the spot in the dying seconds of the first game. I've a hunch that he may have to perform similar heroics again, and/or we'll need a dying seconds sh!t or bust penalty of our own with Stevie taking it.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #7: Mar 31, 2014 06:28:51 pm
      In fairness the whole season was set up with a fantastic save from Simon Mignolet from the spot in the dying seconds of the first game. I've a hunch that he may have to perform similar heroics again, and/or we'll need a dying seconds sh!t or bust penalty of our own with Stevie taking it.

Please not! I don't want an Eidur Gudjohnsen part ii. I want to live to see the end but I guess I've got to accept that these things will happen.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #8: Mar 31, 2014 06:34:07 pm
      I'm torn between Suarez and Gerrard. Suarez obviously because of his all round ability and the fact he's the best player in the league, smashing in the goals and causing havoc and striking terror into the opposition.

Gerrard because he's been there and done it when it matters, he knows what it takes to win trophies and the calm head that's needed in pressurized situations. In 08/09 it wasn't in our hands, we had to rely on the Mancs losing points where as this time it's in our hands and Gerrard is a leader both on and off the pitch and the team will be looking to him! It's the one domestic trophy he is missing so he is going to be more determined than anyone to get his hands on it so he will be inspiring the team all the way.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #9: Mar 31, 2014 06:35:05 pm
      Stevie.

I think his calm head and will to win will be vital I think.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #10: Mar 31, 2014 06:48:16 pm
      Joe Allen.

Might be a strange pick, but we haven't seen the last of Joe and there will be definitely be more opportunities for him out of tactical necessity. We won't play 4-3-3 every game for the rest of the season, so when he's in the side ahead of Sterling or Coutinho, we need him to put in massive performances. We know what to expect from Gerrard, Suarez, Sturridge, Mignolet, etc., but a lot of times the league is won by your squad players stepping up when it counts. That's where someone like Allen becomes a hugely important player.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #11: Mar 31, 2014 06:50:32 pm
      Gerrard 100%

He's the Talisman

He's the one they all look to in times of trouble..
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #12: Mar 31, 2014 07:00:04 pm
      The stage is set now for Steven Gerrard. He knows that we can take these 6 games, just one at a time, and there's nobody who will be cooler between now and the end of the season than him.

He's so good that it doesn't worry me about him getting a yellow in the next 2 games, because I know he won't. He can adapt his game to minimise that risk. No question he wouldn't do anything stupid to get himself banned from the City game especially. Of course it would be nice for us to have the West Ham game wrapped up in time to rest him.

It has to be Gerrard. The more I think about it, whichever team out of us, City and Chelsea that Gerrard was playing for over the next 6 games, would go on to win the league.

Suarez is the undoubted player of the season and so far the top candidate for the next Ballon d'or, but it will be the control of Stevie G over the next 6 that wins us the league.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,112 posts | 2766 
      Reply #13: Mar 31, 2014 07:48:36 pm

Not strange at all. Exactly the kind of player who might be vital on the run in. EG Stevie gets suspended Allen steps in and does the job
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #14: Mar 31, 2014 08:01:04 pm
      Suarez.

If he stays on top of his game for the last 6 then the title is ours.
      Fachtt!
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1648 
      • YNWA
      Reply #15: Mar 31, 2014 08:10:13 pm
      Agree that Coutinho has hit good form, as have several other players. Luis is vital.

But it's Stevie G for me. The Chelsea & City games are the biggies - and the team needs it's Captain for them. The other games too obviously, but critical for them. When Lucas came on yesterday, he looked rusty. SG has made that position his own. He can steady the ship from there, lead, encourage, berate. He has been immense. And nobody deserves to win the title more than him. I will be a soppy mess if Stevie G lifts the PL trophy, guaranteed. It would be a dream come true, a fairytale end to a brilliant career. BELIEVE.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #16: Mar 31, 2014 08:12:20 pm
      I think Coutinho will kick on now and participate in the goals. But the answer has to be Stevie. He wants this more than anyone.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #17: Mar 31, 2014 08:31:16 pm
      Our victory over the spuds showed everyone is up for it, it's good to see that there is no obvious weak link.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,112 posts | 2766 
      Reply #18: Mar 31, 2014 08:36:05 pm
      Our victory over the spuds showed everyone is up for it, it's good to see that there is no obvious weak link.

No not that we have weak links but that 1 player on the run in will step up and do something to win us the title. We know what Stevie and SAS will offer but when they are bottled up or have a quiet game who will give that spark mate to nick us a vital 1 nil for example
      boomsopolis
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 191 posts |
      Reply #19: Mar 31, 2014 08:42:03 pm
      I think Hendo will be a vital cog. His energy in midfield is amazing and he'll still be making lung-busting runs in the 94th minute of the last game but will he be the one to step up an make the difference? Probably not!

I think Raheem will be the one to make the most telling contribution. He was amazing against Spurs and although he won't start every game the ones he does will see displays like yesterday's.

Can I plump for BR?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #20: Mar 31, 2014 08:56:57 pm
      No not that we have weak links but that 1 player on the run in will step up and do something to win us the title. We know what Stevie and SAS will offer but when they are bottled up or have a quiet game who will give that spark mate to nick us a vital 1 nil for example

Fair play Brian but I honestly think any of them are capable of doing the orders on the day if called upon.
      Zebedee
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 93 posts |
      Reply #21: Mar 31, 2014 08:57:00 pm
      Stevie G definitely,his leadership is needed to push the rest of the squad and him having previous experience on this level knows what is stake.Capt fantastic all the way!
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #22: Mar 31, 2014 09:02:57 pm
      1. Jones
      2. Johnson
      3. Enrique
      4. Toure
      5. Agger
      6. Alberto
      7. Suarez
      8. Gerrard
      9. Aspas
      10. Coutinho
      12. Moses
      14. Henderson
      15. Sturridge
      17. Sakho
      20. Cissokho
      21. Lucas
      22. Mignolet
      24. Allen
      30. Suso
      31. Sterling
      34. Kelly
      37. Skrtel
      38. Flanagan

I might be boring but every player is vital
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #23: Mar 31, 2014 09:07:05 pm
      1. Jones
      2. Johnson
      3. Enrique
      4. Toure
      5. Agger
      6. Alberto
      7. Suarez
      8. Gerrard
      9. Aspas
      10. Coutinho
      12. Moses
      14. Henderson
      15. Sturridge
      17. Sakho
      20. Cissokho
      21. Lucas
      22. Mignolet
      24. Allen
      30. Suso
      31. Sterling
      34. Kelly
      37. Skrtel
      38. Flanagan

I might be boring but every player is vital

Suso isn't mate, not unless he has returned from his loan spell ;)
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,353 posts | 1024 
      Reply #24: Mar 31, 2014 09:16:26 pm
      I could write paragraph after paragraph trying to convince myself that it's this player or that player. This player is our leader...that player is tireless...this player is magical etc etc. In all honesty though there is one player that is at least one step ahead of everyone in this team and everyone in this league. You guessed it...

It's no coincidence that Suarez is not only the top scorer but also has more assists than anyone in the league. This man has been MOTM even when he hasn't been MOTM. Let's be honest, people just got bored of voting Suarez the best player on the field and game after game the expectations get higher and other players got a chance. He just does things no other player would consider.

It's very much a collective effort but if there is one player that will provide a moment of breathtaking inspiration or improvisation it's our number 7.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #25: Mar 31, 2014 09:17:04 pm
      From a leadership perspective, I expect Stevie and Skrtel to be a massive physical and emotional presence for us over the next 6 games.  From a quality perspective, I expect Coutinho & Sterling to carry on with their delightful run of form and help SAS score the goals we require to win the title :)
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 495 posts | 80 
      Reply #26: Mar 31, 2014 09:35:25 pm
      Stevie would chop his own penis off for the chance to lift the trophy, but for me the man that is going to grab every game by the scruff and carry us is going to undoubtedly be Suarez. He is so so so motivated to winning and not being second best that he will do every thing in his power to win.

Stevie deserves it the most but Luis will win us it!
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #27: Mar 31, 2014 09:42:28 pm
      Chelsea don't have the fire power to beat us. Citeh do. Marry that up with the notion that we can't expect to blow them away by 4 or 5 (dream yes expect no) then for me it's Skrtel marshalling the defence
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,913 posts | 4979 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #28: Mar 31, 2014 10:25:19 pm
      "There can only be one"

The G man, the man who has carried this club thru thick and thin, the man who pulled us thru in Istanbul,
      The man who got us thru Olympiakos , the man who got us thru West Ham, the man who has dragged his underachieving teammates past the winning line in countless times in the last 11 yrs and more ,

The man who has scored goals galore right the pivotal time when most needed,

The man who in the whole of the premier league history is most deserving of lifting it above his head, in fact, it would be a absolute tragedy if this man doesn't get that honour

I would not have anyone else in my side that will lead by example like the G man will,

Everyone to a man will of course give their all that I have no doubt but when it comes down to the real tough moments there is no one else I'd rather have than our very own G man .

YNWA
      luckofirish8
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 454 posts | 20 
      Reply #29: Mar 31, 2014 10:27:15 pm
      Any and everyone on the defensive side of the ball, but Sterling is a player that can cause teams fits down the stretch.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,581 posts | 3911 
      Reply #30: Mar 31, 2014 10:27:57 pm
      Simple one for me....

Steven Gerrard.

He looks so good right now, right up there with his 08/09 campaign. Sublime.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #31: Mar 31, 2014 10:56:40 pm
      For me, I honestly think Glen Johnson.

When he performs at his best, it's usually because the team is flying. If he holds his own in defence and continues to provide an outlet with Raheem on the right then I think we'll win every game. Him at his best provides great balance for the team.

I don't have to say Gerrard or Suarez because I know they'll be up for it and perform regardless of our position on the ladder.
      Gabri
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 174 posts | 26 
      Reply #32: Apr 01, 2014 09:11:55 am
      we are not a team like Real or Barcelona, where Ronaldo and Messi are abosultely vital for their tactics or their confidence.
      We are a TEAM. So every player is important for me. Everyone has a special role.

However, I know one who is not important at all. Kolo Toure  :D :D :D :D
      I was very pleased to see him watching the game against the Spurs from the stands.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #33: Apr 01, 2014 09:18:55 am
      Not a player on the pitch - but involved in the club

Dr Steve Peters.  As long as he can keep the players minds focused and their "inner chimps" caged, we can do this.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #34: Apr 01, 2014 11:35:12 am
      Luis Suarez he can win this thing for us on his own. His determination is frightening.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #35: Apr 01, 2014 11:36:39 am

Dr Steve Peters.  As long as he can keep the players minds focused and their "inner chimps" caged, we can do this.

I have been aware of Dr Peters for sometime as I have been involved in cycling for many years. I was actually thinking today that I can imagine the Kop belting out "there's only one Steve Peters".
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #36: Apr 01, 2014 11:46:53 am
      I have been aware of Dr Peters for sometime as I have been involved in cycling for many years. I was actually thinking today that I can imagine the Kop belting out "there's only one Steve Peters".

As I have posted before - and if your involved in cycling will know - without doubt the best in his field in the world
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #37: Apr 01, 2014 12:41:59 pm
      If Flanagan keeps making those tackles it might take the wind out of a few opposing players.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,288 posts | 2806 
      Reply #38: Apr 01, 2014 12:46:37 pm
      Martin Skrtel.

I have full faith that our attackers will continue to deliver in the next 6 games but against City and Chelsea we might not be smashing in 4 or 5 so it's up Skrtel and the rest of them to give our strikers a platform to win it. We've got 3 tough away games where teams will come out and have a real go at us and we need to stay strong in those.

To be honest though, you could make a case for anyone really.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #39: Apr 01, 2014 12:55:27 pm
      The defence is the most important, especially against Chelsea and Citeh which are the key games, so I'd say Skrtel and Agger are key to us winning the league.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #40: Apr 01, 2014 03:08:01 pm
      As I have posted before - and if your involved in cycling will know - without doubt the best in his field in the world

he's a funny little bloke but he managed to sort out Victoria Pendleton's head which in itself is an incredible feat.He just talks common sense and allows people to sort out their own irrational and debilitating behaviour. Wonder if he has got a few weeks to spare for me.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #41: Apr 01, 2014 03:19:24 pm
      Srktel, Stevie, Suarez.

Not in order.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #42: Apr 01, 2014 04:01:09 pm
      Srktel, Stevie, Suarez.

Not in order.

Isn't a change to have more than just Stevie capable of changing a game now we have 5 or 6 players who can chip in with goals
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #43: Apr 01, 2014 04:19:04 pm
      Isn't a change to have more than just Stevie capable of changing a game now we have 5 or 6 players who can chip in with goals

It's great. I think in at least one of those - Suarez -we also have someone with a real hunger for success too. It's not that he is carrying us, but Suarez almost acts like he wants to drag us to the title. You can see how much he wants this with every passing game. His celebration on Sunday too. I can only recall him celebrating like that before - the Zenit game. You can really see he believes in this team.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #44: Apr 01, 2014 07:04:55 pm
      As others have stated, it's all about the squad and all are vitally important at this stage when you consider that most of our victories have been due to team rather than individual.
      But if I had to pick, I would go with Mignolet.
      Our attacking players always look likely and generally do score goals.
      The midfield are tireless and inventive.
      The defenders have constantly thrown themselves in the way of danger at dramatic moments and usually play solidly.
      Which brings us to our goal keeper.
      If all in front of him fail then it's imperative that he remains steady, confident and keeps us in the game.
      For me, if Mig performs then I think we have a bloody good chance and finally bringing the title back to Anfield.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,112 posts | 2766 
      Reply #45: Apr 01, 2014 09:19:00 pm
      As others have stated, it's all about the squad and all are vitally important at this stage when you consider that most of our victories have been due to team rather than individual.
      But if I had to pick, I would go with Mignolet.
      Our attacking players always look likely and generally do score goals.
      The midfield are tireless and inventive.
      The defenders have constantly thrown themselves in the way of danger at dramatic moments and usually play solidly.
      Which brings us to our goal keeper.
      If all in front of him fail then it's imperative that he remains steady, confident and keeps us in the game.
      For me, if Mig performs then I think we have a bloody good chance and finally bringing the title back to Anfield.

Mignolet is a very good call
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 495 posts | 80 
      Reply #46: Apr 01, 2014 10:47:27 pm
      Just found out the Dr. Steve Peters has been working with the squad for some time now! As I am a HUGE cyclist I am very very confident that our whole team will be focused! The man is a flippin genius!
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #47: Apr 02, 2014 11:25:30 am
      he's a funny little bloke but he managed to sort out Victoria Pendleton's head which in itself is an incredible feat.He just talks common sense and allows people to sort out their own irrational and debilitating behaviour. Wonder if he has got a few weeks to spare for me.

There's a queue mate ! My chimp has been bugging me for weeks now... I need to get a grip of him  ;D
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #48: Apr 02, 2014 11:26:25 am
      Just found out the Dr. Steve Peters has been working with the squad for some time now! As I am a HUGE cyclist I am very very confident that our whole team will be focused! The man is a flippin genius!

Since Nov 2012, one day a week ... and if you look at our form from say Dec 12 to now....
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,165 posts | 514 
      Reply #49: Apr 02, 2014 12:04:47 pm
      I think the twelfth man can play a big part as well.  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #50: Apr 02, 2014 12:22:54 pm
      Walks in thread, thinks about the question 'gives his head a wobble' realises the question is too tough to answer, walks back out.
      sonicgeeza
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 314 posts |
      • Our History Is Untouchable
      Reply #51: Apr 02, 2014 01:00:10 pm
      Agree with Lester, got a feeling Migs will have a major role to play, just as he did at the start of the season.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,004 posts | 3351 
      Reply #52: Apr 02, 2014 01:37:21 pm
      The ref.

One major F**k up in any game from the b***ard in black (or whatever dodgy colour they've chose for the day) could ruin our chances. We need the officials from here on in to referee the games without a blemish against their names. And it doesn't matter if we win or not in the end, refereeing decisions that are wrong should still be spoke about.

Clattenburg, while he gave us three penalties at Old Trafford, didn't have a great game. He failed to send Rafael off, he gave a penalty for a Sturridge dive, he sent Vidic off when he didn't touch Sturridge, he failed to give a penalty when Sturridge was actually caught. The Sunderland game, Kevin Friend failed to send Vergini off twice. Yes we picked up six points in those two games but the officials still had relatively poor games.

It's important that the officials are spot on during the remaining six games.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #53: Apr 02, 2014 02:32:00 pm
      Brendan Rodgers .
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #54: Apr 02, 2014 06:11:40 pm
      I think all the players , brendan and the fans
      1) deep down I would like it to be the partnership skrtel/Agger , to have a MASSIVE remaining 6 games and stop all opponents from scoring and keep 6 clean sheets,
      2)I am not that worried at the front  a goal or 2 will surely be scored in every game, 
      so when you add 1 and 2 the result is 6 wins (anyway they are)

YNWA
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #55: Apr 02, 2014 07:21:30 pm
      I can't give an answer. Boring but I can't. Everybody is vital but when I look and think what would happen if each player got injured its an injury to Jordan Henderson that I struggle to find the Plan B for, as mad as that may sound. His energy and pressing is vital to the way we play for me and I don't see any squad member that can offer what he can and a spell out for him would really worry me.

£17 mill? Bargain!
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,924 posts | 283 
      Reply #56: Apr 02, 2014 08:10:41 pm
      Coutinho.

He's not been world class this season, but is starting to come back into his stride in the last month. You might thing that's harsh, but this kid is immense and has the possibility of being one of the best "number 10's in the world if he reflects any of the form he had when he first came through the door in the second half of last season. If he can pick the passes in the next 6 games, we will score, no doubt about it.
      Park the bus, have x4 20 million defenders, have the best defensive record in the league, Suarez/Sturridge/Raheem won't give a damn and will bury those chances.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,004 posts | 3351 
      Reply #57: Apr 07, 2014 02:56:41 pm

Well the c**t almost cost us again yesterday.

Firstly, how was Tomkins not sent off? Surely that hand ball was stopping a clear goalscoring opportunity. If Suarez goes past him, he scores. The complete F**k up of their equaliser doesn't need revisiting. That was simply blatant cheating.

Be interesting to see if the b***ard in black can actually have a decent game when we play City or if once again they'll try to F**k us over.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #58: Apr 07, 2014 03:10:46 pm
      I just can't see how it's not Stevie. End of story for me. Out title hopes rise and fall with him.
      EBLFC
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts |
      Reply #59: Apr 07, 2014 03:49:40 pm

Not sure if it's been mentioned elsewhere but did I see Dr Peters on the bench yesterday?? Not seen him there before but maybe he has been and I've just never noticed.
      ruthcity

• 6,929 posts | 1477 
      Reply #60: Apr 08, 2014 11:08:14 am
      It will be us fans for this weekend's match with Citeh, and our other home game with the Chavs. Both are very important matches. Believe the noise will cause some nerves leading to unforced errors.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #61: Apr 08, 2014 01:40:43 pm
      The collective, but Rodgers holds the keys.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #62: Apr 08, 2014 01:44:34 pm
      Nerves? :D

Control them and we're good to go.

On a serious note, whole of defense. As long as the defense keeps it tight, we can rely on our attack to come good.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #63: Apr 08, 2014 11:08:31 pm
      It's clearly Steven Gerrard for me, now.

Immense.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,121 posts | 126 
      Reply #64: Apr 08, 2014 11:14:47 pm
      Sorry to be ignorant, but is Stevie safe now from his ban, or during this game?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #65: Apr 08, 2014 11:15:55 pm
      Think it could change on a match by match basis. A case could be made that it was Lucas versus West Ham.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #66: Apr 08, 2014 11:17:44 pm
      Sorry to be ignorant, but is Stevie safe now from his ban, or during this game?

Think he has to stay clean in the City game, then he's good to go.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,121 posts | 126 
      Reply #67: Apr 08, 2014 11:19:10 pm
      Cheers for that FL xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #68: Apr 08, 2014 11:21:37 pm
      Edging for Mignolet.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,112 posts | 2766 
      Reply #69: Apr 13, 2014 10:29:04 pm
      6 games to go. Its in our hands. Touch wood we stay injury free. Id like to know who everybody thinks will be our most important player on the run in?

Obvious names will come up, Stevie, Luis, Sturridge . But for me I think it will be someone other then those 3 who will step up and drag us over the line. We seen evidence on Sunday that Sterling Flanno and Coutinho have the bottle for it.
      I think at some point in the 6 games Mignolet will be called on to pull of a save or 2 that will lead us to taking points.

I think we will rely on Johnno at times to open up defences and set up a goal or 2 and add 1 or 2 himself

But for me the man who wins Liverpool fc this league is Coutinho.

Not bad me  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      CharlesD
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 742 posts | 68 
      Reply #70: Apr 13, 2014 10:34:22 pm
      Lucas might have a big role to play with Hendo out. 
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #71: Apr 13, 2014 10:38:37 pm
      Coutinho and Sterling have stepped up fine style.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #72: Apr 13, 2014 11:04:05 pm
      Still Gerrard for me.

Many players will play their part but if we do win it Stevie will be the man to push us over the line.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #73: Apr 13, 2014 11:10:27 pm
      Every player including the subs will be important on the run in, as well as we need players to put the ball in the opposition net we need players to keep the ball out of our net. It is just a pity Henderson will not be available for all matches after the excellent season he has had.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #74: Apr 14, 2014 12:05:58 am

He hasn't won us the league yet.
      CharlesD
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 742 posts | 68 
      Reply #75: Apr 14, 2014 01:45:12 am
      Still Gerrard for me.

Many players will play their part but if we do win it Stevie will be the man to push us over the line.

He is the glue for this team no doubt.  Seeing his reaction after the final whistle brought tears to my eyes as well.  I want this title this year for no other reason than he deserves it so much.  As a fan, I can be around for other title runs, of which I hope there will be many, but Gerrard will only be around so much longer.  His window to win a title isn't that big.  I think he has what it takes to take this team on his back and carry them to the promised land.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #76: Apr 14, 2014 01:56:17 am
      Our most IMPORTANT player seems to change on a match by match basis it seems - that's a good thing though.

A lot of talk about Lucas, but I think Allen will play a big part.

He's due a big role, and I sense his time has come. He has been crucial to Liverpool when he has been brought on and calmed us all down when brought on against City and sured up the game when he was brought on against West Ham.

He's relatively fresh considering he hasn't played too many games and his pace and pressing at players might take its toll on the opposition this far into the season.

There were moments against City when he harried and pressed them and buzzed about the players like a wasp that they lost composure. He did it in City's box too, almost snatching the ball off them and almost at times providing the final ball for a goal.

I'd probably start him against Norwich for sure.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #77: Apr 14, 2014 02:01:21 am
      I predict Lucas will play an important role coming into the last 4 matches. I predict Stevie will most likely score an unbelievable 'pile driver' that will pull us out of the flames. I'm very rarely wrong!!!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #78: Apr 14, 2014 05:10:55 pm
      I can't give an answer.
      Boring but I can't.
      Everybody is vital but when I look and think what would happen if each player got injured its an injury to Jordan Henderson that I struggle to find the Plan B for, as mad as that may sound.
      His energy and pressing is vital to the way we play for me and I don't see any squad member that can offer what he can and a spell out for him would really worry me.

£17 mill? Bargain!

Not an injury but same gist.

Plan B : Lucas.

He'll do it.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #79: Apr 14, 2014 05:53:42 pm
      Now I haven't been Joe's biggest fan but I have been very impressed by him over his last 6 performances. Now with Jordan out he can really make a name for himself at Liverpool by playing out of his skin for the last 4 games.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #80: Apr 14, 2014 06:24:06 pm
      I'm not sure how we define "most imp player". Obviously Gerrard is looking refreshed and adjusted to his new role. And he certainly holds it together in some ways.

Suarez is our most important player, but is maybe not as fresh as he's been.

I was gonna post before the Man C game that Raheem is the player who can become our most important one. By this I mean that we KNOW Luis and Stevie will be putting in terrific performances. Raheem is ofcourse still learning things - indeed just as Luis was just two years ago.

When Sterling has a v good game, generally Liverpool will. A team might shut out Luis for 90mins. But its even harder to shut out Luis AND the Sturridge threat. However, its pretty impossible to shut out those two AND Sterling.

So if Sterling has a "very good game" vs Chelsea...
      ANYWAY, Norwich next :-/
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #81: Apr 14, 2014 06:28:54 pm
      After yesterday, I will re-iterate my previous post - Dr Steve Peters

Suarez was very, very close to being sent off yesterday. Henderson was, and Skrtel should have conceded a penalty with that punch

Need to keep the collective minds calm and focused in the last four games - which Gerrard was leading the charge on with the huddle post match, and interviews - but we have to keep the mental side together
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #82: Apr 14, 2014 06:44:27 pm
      Mindset is very important. We can cut any team to shreds with pace and skill.
      But a bit of slowing the game down, letting the ball do the work for a few mins won't do any harm either.

There's a time for heroic battling. And a time to just sap the intensity out of the battle.
      Ironically the tika taka approach does sap the opposition, and is a good way of "defending with the ball" eg to run the clock down.

I actually hate tika taka as a philosophy. And was glad to see it binned for the cut and thrust we see today.
      But we can't necessarily bomb forward for 90 minutes of every game.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,913 posts | 4979 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #83: Apr 14, 2014 07:48:17 pm
      It's the G man for me, he is our leader, he won't stand for any idleness, he will carry us to the premiership title, there isn't a player in the whole of English football who doesn't respect him, and there is no player Europe wide who deserves it more then Stevie G,

We all seen what it means to him yesterday so if there is any justice in this world 99.9% should go to the families of the  96,  0.1% should ensure our Stevie gets a league winners medal.

YNWA     JFT96
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #84: Apr 14, 2014 10:05:06 pm
      Gerrard. Been immense for months and is showing the calm and focus we need.

Suarez needs to control his emotions against Chelsea a lot better than he did yesterday. He is no good to us getting sent off.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #85: Apr 14, 2014 11:09:03 pm
      Still not changed my mind, it'll be a different player or players every game and considering we are displaying such a great team ethos and work ethic, that can only be a good thing. 

Vs West Ham, for me, it was Lucas.
      Vs Man City, for me, it was Coutinho.

Against both, it was a great team effort and I wouldn't be surprised if someone else stood up in the next game.

Quick Reply