Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Best vs Worst LFC Memory

Read 4091 times
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,633 posts | 128 
      Best vs Worst LFC Memory
      Apr 15, 2014 09:22:03 am
      Since you have been a Liverpool supporter, what was the worst memory and what was the best memory you have experienced ? :)

« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2014 09:47:34 am by Reslivo »
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: best vs worst LFC memory
      Reply #1: Apr 15, 2014 09:32:23 am
      Worse memory has to be getting relegated to the old 2nd division in 1954.To make matters worse Everton got promoted from the 2nd division that very same season.
                 The best memory has to be winning the F.A.Cup for the first time in 1965.There have been many more fantastic memorable occasions as no doubt fellow REDS will point out.

I hope I have not been disrespectful but having had second thought on the thread but Hillsborough has to rate as the worse memory.
      « Last Edit: Apr 15, 2014 10:03:14 am by Billy1 »
      Gabri
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 174 posts | 26 
      Reply #2: Apr 15, 2014 09:48:47 am
      Since I am a fan from 1990, the best memory is the CL final in Instabul and the worst is the FA Cup defeat in 1996
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #3: Apr 15, 2014 09:52:07 am
      Best has to be 89 Cup final. Probably one of only a handful of games I ever attended with my dad. I was just 17 then, and the going down on the train from Lime Street, red and blue mixed together,chants of "Attack, Attack ...." to rush, dalglish et al on a hot wembley afternoon.

I wont say "worst", but most poignant. 2001 UEFA cup win. First wife was dying of cancer at the time (died in the august), and watched most of the game downstairs, but came upstairs to our room to watch extra time. She was asleep for most of it, and in the midst of an amazing win, not being able to celebrate it with loved one was somewhat hollow.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #4: Apr 15, 2014 10:11:40 am
      I think on this particular day it's a bit crass asking what peoples worst memory is.

It should always be the Hillsborough disaster.  How can anything be worse than what happened that day.
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,633 posts | 128 
      Reply #5: Apr 15, 2014 10:21:07 am
      I think on this particular day it's a bit crass asking what peoples worst memory is.

It should always be the Hillsborough disaster.  How can anything be worse than what happened that day.

You are right, There a other days for threads like this.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,165 posts | 514 
      Reply #6: Apr 15, 2014 10:51:23 am
      I know that this thread was meant with the best intentions, but the timing of it stinks...............sor ry to be so harsh. RIP The 96.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #7: Apr 16, 2014 12:48:18 am
      Worse memory has to be getting relegated to the old 2nd division in 1954.To make matters worse Everton got promoted from the 2nd division that very same season.
                 The best memory has to be winning the F.A.Cup for the first time in 1965.There have been many more fantastic memorable occasions as no doubt fellow REDS will point out.

I hope I have not been disrespectful but having had second thought on the thread but Hillsborough has to rate as the worse memory.

Both the same Billy.

May 1st 1965 the best.

April 15th 1989 the worst.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #8: Apr 16, 2014 02:08:49 am
      For a footballing context, I'll give my views below, but obviously the injustice over Hillsborough marks the worst memories.

Being born in 1990, the best is - obviously - the Champions League final 2005.

The worst is probably Benitez's sacking - what with the turmoil off the pitch and a poor placed finish, I didn't know where Liverpool go from there. The man who produced the miracle of Istanbul was gone, and if he couldn't take Liverpool to the top of the league for the first time in my life, I honestly didn't know which man could. Obviously this got much much worse, with Roy Hodgson and his 'famous victories' at Bolton for getting out of the relegation zone.... that was f***in low. But he was so so bad, I was never so confident of a manager getting the sack and we all knew who was waiting in the wings anyway, so the Roy period I felt was never going to be a long tenure.

The last five years for Liverpool has never seemed so turbulent in my lifetime. The pain of the last five years on the pitch and the sheer anger over Hillsborough in 2009 doesn't test your will power, it strengthens it. When Hillsborough occurred, it also coincided with the decline of the football on the field. Matters on the field were painful but nothing compared to the injustice. With the families now on a road to justice, it would make a league title for 2013/14 ever more poignant for the club.

Such things may be trivial to the families, but it is by far the best tribute that the team and the fans could give to them. Forgetting just how unique and extraordinary a title would be for the club in a footballing context (how far we have been behind the last five years, how much smaller a team than the big clubs, etc.), marking it as a tribute towards the families in their road to justice at this moment would make it the best memory.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #9: Apr 16, 2014 05:25:50 am
      As stupid as it sounds, my best memory was the win on the weekend. I've never reacted as maniacally to a win ever and the atmosphere, the performance and drama. Could be short sighted but that was a special win at a special time.

Worst is the 09/10 season. That was torture.
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #10: Apr 16, 2014 08:56:29 am
      It's hard to pick out a best but I guess I'd go with the 2005 semi. The atmosphere that night was something else. From a footballing point of view the worst would be either the 77 fa cup final that denied Sir Bob a glorious treble or the press interview Woy gave in December 2010 after we had been beaten at home by Wolves claiming it was diswespectful to expect to beat other teams in the league and that he hadn't received the support of the Anfield faithful. The realisation of just how far we had sunk really set in after that.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,104 posts | 2762 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Best vs Worst LFC Memory
      Reply #11: Apr 16, 2014 02:52:43 pm
      April 15th 1989

Best memory is getting my yellow crown paints jersey for my birthday back in the day  ;D On he pitch Id have to say being in the main stand on the day God retuned v Birmingham that was unreal, fooking scored an all only to have it disallowed
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,003 posts | 3351 
      Reply #12: Apr 16, 2014 03:17:07 pm
      Best, 26th May 2005.

For me the homecoming overshadowed the actual night of winning our 5th European Cup because I could actually enjoy every single second of it. The final, I don't know how much I did enjoy. Getting it back to three all, the thought of losing it after that graft was too much for me to enjoy the game. Extra time and penalties are never enjoyable experiences. It's the aftermath that's enjoyable, when you know what's happened. Rewatching that famous night in Istanbul, yeah it's enjoyable now. At the time it was F***ing gut wrenching and me nerves was shot to pieces. The homecoming itself though was a F***ing boss night.

Anybody who was there, knows just how good it was. Just like I had on the Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday before, I'd bunked off school on me dad's approval (did the Friday as well). We went down to St George's Hall around 5ish. Me, me arl fella, sister, uncle and three cousins. By the time the bus arrived, it was just me and me dad. I didn't know at the time where the rest of the family had ended up but we'd been separated and truth be told, that was fine by me because the rest of the family don't love this club the way me and me dad do. Ended up outside the Empire before getting moved on by some c**t of a staff member in there for sitting outside the doors. Walked over to the waterfall outside the museum, arguing with each other of whether or not to go home. We'd just heard over the tannoy that the bus wouldn't be arriving for another 2 hours. This is around 8 o'clock at this time.

Now I didn't have a coat with me and even late-May in Liverpool is kinda chilly. Me dad hadn't had his tea before we left so he was getting hungry. He was going "if you're cold, we'll go home" and my reply was "I'm alright but if you're hungry we'll go" and he was like "no I can cope, I'm just thinking of you getting cold" and on it went. Neither of us wanted to go home and neither of us would of gone home so we stayed. Me dad's leg had just started playing up around that time as well, still struggles with it now. So he was in pain as well as hungry.

But then, we saw the bus and every f**ker came running to see it. Only to find out it was the press bus :laugh:. Then the proper bus turned up, we walked down a bit to stand at the steps of St George's and through a couple of the trees there, we got a F***ing boss view of it. Glinting in the night sky was old big ears. Djibril and Djimi dancing away at the back, Carra holding it high. You'll Never Walk Alone belting out, tears in our eyes, hugging and dancing with complete strangers.

F**k la, night like that don't leave you.

Worst memory from a footballing perspective, was probably Jamie Carragher's debut for the club. Nothing against Carra of course but it was the first ever game I cried over. It was a week or so before me sixth birthday and we were playing a League Cup tie against Middlesbrough up at the Riverside. And we lost 2-1. We were listening to the game on the radio, me, me dad, our Mick and our Ste. And the defeat just crucified me. I was inconsolable for the rest of the night.

It became a good memory because when I asked me dad the following day why I cried like that he said it's because Liverpool means so much to me. But it's probably me worst memory as well because I remember how hurt I was. Roy Evans' leaving press conference was another heartbreaking moment for me.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #13: Apr 16, 2014 06:16:29 pm
      Best is without doubt Istanbul!

The worst that I can think of, based on a match, right now would probably getting smashed for 4 by the Mancs back in 2003 I think it was and Diego Forlan grabbed a couple in that game. The last couple of league campaigns have been hell to watch though.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #14: Apr 16, 2014 08:24:54 pm
      I'm not going to be too critical of the thread starter, I'm sure he meant in a footballing sense otherwise the worst memory would be the same for any of us old enough to remember. So...

Another obvious answer but at 35 years of age, my best memory has to be Istanbul. Not just because we won but because at half time, I genuinely believed we could do it. I had texts and calls coming in from friends and colleagues who were either laughing at us or, in the case of those who were Liverpool fans, moaning about the performance and saying it was going to be an embarrassing scoreline. They ridiculed me for saying that Rafa would take the shackles off now, send them out with nothing to lose and rattle Milan.

As for worst memory, I'm tempted to say 1989, last game of the season v Arsenal, the title decider. I was about 10 at the time and remember sitting on the settee, crying as the final whistle blew and we'd lost 2-0.

In truth though, that's not the worst because at that time I believed we would bounce back and win the league again the following season and many more times after that. Little did I know.

My absolute worst footballing memories are those games where we've gone through the motions with no belief or passion. Those games where I've screamed at players to make a run or get stuck in. It's those games that can make me question my love for the club. I've witnessed it under Souness and later under Hodgson.
      If we win nothing this season I'll be gutted, as usual but I'll be delighted about the passion and effort from the players and I'll believe we can push again next time around and that's all I ask for.
      finchie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,576 posts | 154 
      Reply #15: Apr 16, 2014 09:04:11 pm
      There's been some awful periods eg Souness era, Hicks and Gillett but for sheer intense moment Arsenal '89 was devastating. To put it into context, after Hillsborough, the team seemed on a mission to win everything. I felt this was for the fans and as our tired and mentally exhausted team won match after match it felt like our destiny. Win after win propelled them towards the FA Cup and needing to avoid a 2 clear goal defeat at home to Arsenal to win the double. The form they were in made such an outcome unthinkable; the team surely had this one final push in them.

http://www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/Games/30

When Michael Thomas scored with the last kick, I was utterly devastated. It felt so wrong. I know many other supporters just felt proud at the team's efforts and felt results had proven to be insignificant that season. I felt the results were even more significant after everything. If results had fizzled out then I would have understood after all the team had been through but this was supposed to be a triumph for the club in the face of adversity.

The best!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,907 posts | 4972 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #16: Apr 16, 2014 09:40:48 pm
      Goes without saying what the worst is,
      I'm sure there was no malice intended but ff's fella what was you thinking about to start such a thread,

Other worst memories for me are;
      The passing of Shanks and subsequently Sir Bob, and uncle Joe, Crazy horse , Gary Ablett,

Kenny retiring , same with Rushy, God, Carra,

Kenny retiring as manager, & getting bagged by FSG,

The H&G period,

Best are;

'77', '78','81', '84', & '05' in particular simply because it's probably the best CL final ever

All 18 league titles but I've only been a Red since  '76' so can't comment prior to then

Every cup win, every goal scored, so so many it would be unfair to name some without doing justice to others,

So I'm going to leave it there, I'm positive there will be many many more to come that May or may not supersede existing ones ,

YNWA

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #17: Apr 16, 2014 10:13:08 pm
      For a more personal one, 11th Dec 1993 kind of covers the good and bad. The first time I stood on the Kop but an awful 2-2 draw with Swindon Town ruined the day. 
      Milestone
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts |
      • Liverpool FC - The only club to watch in England
      Reply #18: Apr 17, 2014 09:10:27 am
      The Best - Beating Man United 4 - 1 at OT

The Worst - Being Knocked out of Top four since when???
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #19: Apr 17, 2014 12:02:50 pm
      Charlie f***in George.1971 cup final
      Best without a doubt Istanbul .It still feels fresh in the memory.Now that could change in a months time.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,000 posts | 3951 
      Reply #20: Apr 17, 2014 12:21:27 pm
      Since you have been a Liverpool supporter, what was the worst memory and what was the best memory you have experienced ? :)

With hindsight surely waiting a week or so would have been more respectful if not diplomatic before starting this thread, only just
      noticed it was up.

harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #21: Apr 17, 2014 05:17:40 pm
      Best:  Watching the CL final in Istanbul.  I had just finished my freshman year of college and I had gotten a summer job building platform tennis courts on the east coast.  It was my day off, and I got a good buzz on while I watched the game on the telly.  What a comeback!!  Best game and memory of LFC.... so far anyways :)

Worst:  I'd say it's a tie between getting beaten in the 07 CL final and losing the 2012 FA Cup final to the Chavs.  Both of those hurt bad :(

Quick Reply