Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Pre-Match: Norwich v Liverpool (Easter Sunday 20th April 2014 12pm)

Read 24620 times
      yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 524 posts |
      Pre-Match: Norwich v Liverpool (Easter Sunday 20th April 2014 12pm)
      Apr 15, 2014 11:05:47 am
      Big game (They all are). Different from our recent games against Norwich in that they have been fairly solid at home. Not sure what impact the new manager will have. Hughton's defensive set ups could never cope with us. Snodgrass's left foot and Redmond, a very promising U21 player are key for them and were very good against Spurs when I watched them few weeks ago.

Can't seeus starting with anything other than Lucas and Allen for Hendo and Sturridge. This will mean a more patient approach. But we have enough to nick it. Will go with 1;2 to the reds. Hopefully Moses, Aspas and Alberto/Tex can do a job off the bench.

It's on. Let's do this
      « Last Edit: Apr 20, 2014 10:34:41 am by JD »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Re: Norwich Vs Liverpool 12noon Easter Sunday the 20th of April 2014
      Reply #1: Apr 15, 2014 12:43:40 pm
      If we play with the intensity we know we can then we should blow the canaries away in the first half.
      Can't see them containing Suarez, Raheem and Couts there again Suarez by himself should be too much for them.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #2: Apr 15, 2014 12:52:09 pm
      Captain's talk this:

Steven Gerrard: 'We must treat Norwich like best team in the world'
      • Liverpool captain warns one bad result and it's over
      • Gerrard: 'Every game is bigger than the last'

Steven Gerrard has told Liverpool to treat the visit to Norwich City like the 2005 Champions League final against Milan and warned a remarkable season will be forgotten should they fail to win the Premier League title.

Brendan Rodgers' team are four wins from claiming the club's 19th championship, and first of the Premier League era, following the enthralling 3-2 defeat of Manchester City at Anfield. The next step for Liverpool is Carrow Road on Sunday and Neil Adams' first home game as the Norwich manager since replacing the sacked Chris Hughton.

Norwich are fourth bottom following Saturday's defeat at Fulham and face a gruelling run-in to secure their top-flight status but with a first league title since 1990 in touching distance, Gerrard admits the game has assumed the importance of Istanbul for his club.

The Liverpool captain said: "Every game is getting bigger because we are getting closer to the last game of the season. Man City was always going to be huge because they are in the race with us but Norwich now become Man City. Norwich become Chelsea. Norwich become Manchester United. That's how big it is. We have got to treat Norwich like we treated AC Milan in 2005. That's just how football is. We can't think about what colour shirts Norwich are wearing and the personnel in them. We have got to treat them like the best team in the world." Coincidentally, Liverpool overcame Chelsea, their opponents in two weeks' time, in the semi-finals on their way to meeting Milan.

Liverpool head to East Anglia on a run of 10 successive league victories but without Jordan Henderson, who collected a three-match suspension for a straight red card against City. Daniel Sturridge is awaiting the results of a scan on a hamstring problem amid concerns he will miss the Norwich game.

"It is a remarkable run but you get nothing for it," Gerrard said. "You get a pat on the back. We've all had them but they come and go. What is key as a footballer is getting something to show for all the hard work. We have been on a magnificent run. We could win 13 on the spin but lose the last one and we will get nothing. Nobody will remember it. The only way people will remember it is if we go on and win it. We have got to forget where we are and forget what we have done. We have just got to focus and prepare for Norwich now. We have got to treat it like it is the last game of all our careers. That is the mentality."

Gerrard was almost in tears after the final whistle sounded against City, the biggest league win of a glittering career "by far", according to the 33-year-old. But the outpouring of emotion, he has admitted, was as a result of the 25th anniversary of Hillsborough, a day remembered with several tributes before the kick-off at Anfield and involving representatives of City and Celtic.

The midfielder, whose 10-year-old cousin Jon-Paul Gilhooley was among the 96 who died at Hillsborough, said: "The reason I was so emotional was because of when this game fell. It wasn't just because it was a big match in our season, it was because this week is always about more than football for everyone associated with Liverpool. It's emotional for so many people. I'm speaking on behalf of everyone when I say the win was dedicated to the victims and families of Hillsborough. All the squad will be present at the service [on Tuesday] to pay our respects, as we should." Gerrard insists that emotion will not distract him from the goal of completing his medal collection at Liverpool with a Premier League title. "Everyone knows how much I want it personally," he said. "I've just got to stay calm, relax and take it each game as it comes. I'm trying to do that but it's difficult to control my emotions.

"I'm just trying to do different things. In my spare time, I'm not sitting around thinking about it. I'm watching the TV, spending time with my kids and my friends to take my mind off it. I want the games to come every day, not every week, but that is unfortunately the way it goes. I'd love to play the remaining four games in the next four days but it is not possible. I have to manage the time well and make sure that I'm not getting anxious and wasting unnecessary energy."

A bonus for Gerrard and for Liverpool from the City game was the absence of a yellow card for their inspirational captain. He would have received a two-match suspension had he collected a 10th booking of the season before Sunday's amnesty but came through four matches – Sunderland, Tottenham Hotspur, West Ham United and Manchester City – without triggering the punishment. He said: "It was tough in the four games. There were times when I wanted to fire in and steam in to a few tackles. I've had to bite my tongue at times as well. But I think I have played it very well and it hasn't affected my performances. I was a bit worried at the time when I got the last booking [at Cardiff City] that it would have an effect on me but it hasn't."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/14/steven-gerrard-norwich-best-liverpool

DeanoLFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 259 posts | 18 
      Reply #3: Apr 15, 2014 01:02:34 pm
      Andre Marriner to referee Norwich v Liverpool
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,225 posts | 2805 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #4: Apr 15, 2014 01:16:29 pm
      Can we leave the match talk for today as a mark of respect?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #5: Apr 15, 2014 06:21:58 pm

I don't know Brian I think Margret quite rightly mentioned the way this present side had brought a tremendous pride to the club.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #6: Apr 15, 2014 08:56:04 pm
       ;D
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #7: Apr 16, 2014 01:09:52 am
      I would like to see     

Mignolet

Johnson         Skertl              Agger            Flanagan

Gerrard

Lucas                   Allen

Coutinho

Suarez                        Sterling

If Sturridge is injured. I think we would get joy with this. I want to see Agger and Lucas against Chelsea, they play well against them. I know there is no one to bring on in this formation. However, we need goals to settle us.   
      TheShanklyGates
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #8: Apr 16, 2014 05:19:30 am
      I would like to see     

Mignolet

Johnson         Skertl              Agger            Flanagan

Gerrard

Lucas                   Allen

Coutinho

Suarez                        Sterling

If Sturridge is injured. I think we would get joy with this. I want to see Agger and Lucas against Chelsea, they play well against them. I know there is no one to bring on in this formation. However, we need goals to settle us.   

That's the line up I'd go with mate. Sakho has impressed in the last 2 games but if Agger is available then I'd definitely bring him back into the team. After his performance after coming off the bench on Sunday Allen has to start in place of hendo. Hoping Suarez finds his shooting boots again and scores a few against Norwich. I would love a big win to improve the goal difference but as with every game left this season I'd take a 1-0 win in the 4 remaining games as the win is all that matters.

Although we all know he's captain fantastic,a model professional and sets fantastic examples for everyone I have to say I've been really impressed with Gerrards professionalism to not get booked again which of course would have ruled him out of this and the Chelsea game. I honestly thought citeh would have done something like a late tackle,dive etc to get him booked or wind him up and get him booked that way but it goes to show the measure of the man to go that long with the risk of being suspended and end up completely avoiding it.

Anyway, I think we'll be too much for Norwich and get the win.

Lets do this. Come on you Redmen!!!!

YNWA
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #9: Apr 16, 2014 05:37:31 am
      Quote from Brian78

Fully agreed. In fact, no offence to the thread starter, but I would go further and close this thread, delete it, then open another one.

Not posting on April 15 here (or elsewhere) is a mark of respect I show to the 96 victims and 766 injured. Football is frankly not important here on the date, and I don't think not discussing it for 24 hours is a very difficult thing to do.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #10: Apr 16, 2014 06:11:39 am
      Fully agreed. In fact, no offence to the thread starter, but I would go further and close this thread, delete it, then open another one.

Not posting on April 15 here (or elsewhere) is a mark of respect I show to the 96 victims and 766 injured. Football is frankly not important here on the date, and I don't think not discussing it for 24 hours is a very difficult thing to do.

The club has done everything to show respect. And when the representivitives of the Hillsborough families mention football during the ceremony it shows that at the end of the day, we are a FOOTBALL family.

If people want to post, they can. You don't, that's fine.

I think we'll see the team that was on the pitch after Sturridge went off start against Norwich.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #11: Apr 16, 2014 09:19:35 am
      I cant see a diamond again, almost definitely we'll go with a 4-3-3

Migs
      Johnson-Skrtel-Sakho-Flanno
      Allen-Stevie-Lucas
      Sterling-Suarez-Coutinho

Subs: Jones, Aspas, Moses, Alberto, Toure, Agger, Tex
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #12: Apr 16, 2014 10:01:08 am
      That's the line up I'd go with mate. Sakho has impressed in the last 2 games but if Agger is available then I'd definitely bring him back into the team. After his performance after coming off the bench on Sunday Allen has to start in place of hendo. Hoping Suarez finds his shooting boots again and scores a few against Norwich. I would love a big win to improve the goal difference but as with every game left this season I'd take a 1-0 win in the 4 remaining games as the win is all that matters.

Although we all know he's captain fantastic,a model professional and sets fantastic examples for everyone I have to say I've been really impressed with Gerrards professionalism to not get booked again which of course would have ruled him out of this and the Chelsea game. I honestly thought citeh would have done something like a late tackle,dive etc to get him booked or wind him up and get him booked that way but it goes to show the measure of the man to go that long with the risk of being suspended and end up completely avoiding it.

Anyway, I think we'll be too much for Norwich and get the win.

Lets do this. Come on you Redmen!!!!

YNWA

I hope we are too much for them. I have this feeling the Chelski match is going to be the one. I know we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves but I feel it will be the decider. I hope they are knackered from the CL and we get Sturridge back. Unfortunately ex players don't usually do well against their old sides. I really think we need Lucas in, his hardwork and attitude will be rewarded.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #13: Apr 16, 2014 10:08:03 am
      I cant see a diamond again, almost definitely we'll go with a 4-3-3

Migs
      Johnson-Skrtel-Sakho-Flanno
      Allen-Stevie-Lucas
      Sterling-Suarez-Coutinho

Subs: Jones, Aspas, Moses, Alberto, Toure, Agger, Tex

That would be the exact team I think we will play. No need to bring Sakho out he's played well the last few games. The only time he's not looked comfortable is when it went to 2-1 and 2-2 but the whole defence and midfield were the exact same so can't put that down to one individual. Once we got back into a winning position he tuned into beast mode again.

Looking forward to the possibility of Lucas playing further up too. I know he used to play in a more advanced role at Gremio but that was a while ago, bet he'll love it.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #14: Apr 16, 2014 10:21:24 am
      I agree with Stevie Gerrard, treat Norwich as the best team in the world, then  go and thrash them with another Luis Suarez hat-trick. :kop5cf8koxp6:
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #15: Apr 16, 2014 10:29:07 am
      I agree with Stevie Gerrard, treat Norwich as the best team in the world, then  go and thrash them with another Luis Suarez hat-trick. :kop5cf8koxp6:

This.

We cannot afford to be complacent. Will be a tough game, and if it takes a one-nil'er of skrtel's left nut with a minute to go, so be it, as long as we get 3 pts
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,291 posts | 763 
      Reply #16: Apr 16, 2014 10:47:03 am
      3 points a must the way things are going, do not want to throw away points, with Citeh  and Chelsea so close.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #17: Apr 16, 2014 10:50:16 am
      This.

We cannot afford to be complacent. Will be a tough game, and if it takes a one-nil'er of skrtel's left nut with a minute to go, so be it, as long as we get 3 pts

1=0  would do me as well  and if we win our last 4 matches 1-0 I will be a happy  lad. Don't know how that would affect the old heart and the blood pressure.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,348 posts | 2818 
      Reply #18: Apr 16, 2014 10:55:05 am
      Allen and Lucas ahead of Gerrard doesn't really excite me but then neither does Moses being part of a front three - going to be interesting to see what Brendan goes for.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #19: Apr 16, 2014 11:04:37 am
      This is gonna be tougher than we think. They played ok last weekend, albeit against Fulham. They know they have to get a win from somewhere, especially with Fulham & Cardiff getting wins, & their home games are key in that.

Obviously Henderson & Sturridge are going to be massive losses, for different reasons. Luckily we still have Gerrard & Suarez in these positions tho. So much pressure on this game. If we get to HT at 0-0, it could be even tougher. Mental strength is key here & for that reason I would not start Moses. Harsh possibly, but his commitment would have to be questioned to whether he can start.

---------------Mignolet--------------
      Johnson----Srktel--Sahko----Flanagan
      ---------------Gerrard---------------
      ------------Allen---Lucas------------
      Sterling--------Suarez-------Coutinho

Has to be this team really? Unless one of Moses/Aspas come in for Lucas. 

--------------Sterling----------------
      ------Suarez-----------Aspas--------
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #20: Apr 16, 2014 11:24:58 am
      This is gonna be tougher than we think. They played ok last weekend, albeit against Fulham. They know they have to get a win from somewhere, especially with Fulham & Cardiff getting wins, & their home games are key in that.

Obviously Henderson & Sturridge are going to be massive losses, for different reasons. Luckily we still have Gerrard & Suarez in these positions tho. So much pressure on this game. If we get to HT at 0-0, it could be even tougher. Mental strength is key here & for that reason I would not start Moses. Harsh possibly, but his commitment would have to be questioned to whether he can start.

Sterling--------Suarez-------Coutinho

Has to be this team really? Unless one of Moses/Aspas come in for Lucas. 

--------------Sterling----------------
      ------Suarez-----------Aspas--------

I'll take option number 1 please.
      Sturridge and Henderson are big blows,
      but we've said that before during the
      season only for the team to rumble on.

Hopefully Lucas and Allen grab the opportunity
      to play to the end of the season.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,169 posts | 520 
      Reply #21: Apr 16, 2014 12:30:26 pm
      Can not see anything but 3 points here. If we play like we did in the first half against Citeh, the budgies will need there trill at half time.

Drive past there training ground nearly every day, tempted to leave one of my Liverpool scarves on the gates  ;D.

Lucky enough to get tickets, so will be there cheering the Redmen on.
      I'm going for 3-1 and Luis to get 2 of them.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #22: Apr 16, 2014 12:41:24 pm
      I really hope we are relentless for the entire 90 mins, we still are 4 behind City in GD which could go up to 6 or 7 when City host Sunderland tonight. We HAVE to close down that gap as well, just in case..

Quick Reply