Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

The 'War Chest'... who will leave?

Read 15582 times
      Wrexham red
      • On Trial
      • Started Topic

• 2 posts |
      The 'War Chest'... who will leave?
      Apr 23, 2014 06:07:34 pm
      With BR apparently being given a substantial War Chest for transfers. Who do people think may be leaving Anfield to make room/ boost funds.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: The 'War Chest'... who will leave?
      Reply #1: Apr 23, 2014 09:12:26 pm
      To be fair, We do not have a War Chest, but a "significant summer transfer kitty" as quoted by the BBC. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27122370

This may mean anything from £20m to £50m and beyond. As we know FSG are very frugal.

As to the question who will go? As we have a small squad it is not who is going but who will be coming, plus I feel it is unfair to speculate who will be sold when the season is still very alive, and possible being one of our greatest.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #2: Apr 23, 2014 10:37:34 pm
      Coates will go.

Aspas wont hang around.

Jose Enrique.

May ship Johnson to baptise a new back four.

Toure

Assaidi

Moses

Cissokho

Illori

Reina
      jtrollip
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 192 posts |
      Reply #3: Apr 24, 2014 01:21:51 am
      Coates will go.

Aspas wont hang around.

Jose Enrique.

May ship Johnson to baptise a new back four.

Toure

Assaidi

Moses

Cissokho

Illori

Reina

How do you think Illori will go. Think that's very far off the mark
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,002 posts | 3952 
      Reply #4: Apr 24, 2014 08:42:11 am
      To be fair, We do not have a War Chest, but a "significant summer transfer kitty" as quoted by the BBC. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27122370

This may mean anything from £20m to £50m and beyond. As we know FSG are very frugal.

As to the question who will go? As we have a small squad it is not who is going but who will be coming, plus I feel it is unfair to speculate who will be sold when the season is still very alive, and possible being one of our greatest.

Frugal or not mate 20 - 50m is stretching the 'war chest' definition to it's minimal content, to go into battle with such meagre resources at the supreme level the manager has achieved provokes a David and Goliath analogy.
      Lacking faith is a far better description of the owners attitude than the ambivalent 'frugal', the very real danger of the manager seeking out a backer who will reward his genius is a progressive concept - the more successful Brendan becomes the more the oligarch's attentions are aroused.

Unless BR is given unequivocal support financial and moral, square 1 does beckon.   
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #5: Apr 24, 2014 08:59:52 am
      £20-50m might not seem much but it should be looked at in a wider context. 1) if we assume it's a net figure then it becomes £40-80m after off loading players.
      2) of the list above only Glen Johnson has been holding down a regular first team place. So in theory you are spending £60m to improve the bench not the team. Even if you say spend some on a CH that still puts 2 of Skrtel Agger or Sakho on the bench. A new keeper put Mignolet on the bench. A new strikers puts, ok but it keeps them on their toes!!!!
      If we had finished say 5th this year and a whole lot closer to the CL places (like the BS) then yes we would need a lot of money because the team would need improvements. But we haven't and we don't.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #6: Apr 24, 2014 10:31:39 am
      I think we all accept that the "War Chest" is unlikely include any of FSG's own money but rather money generated by the Club. I don't know how much exactly that money will be but you would imagine it should include -

1: Our usual annual 'kitty' which, one assumes, already includes sponsorship, gate etc. [£25m/£30m]

2: Additional T.V. money. [£25m +]

3: Money guaranteed by Champions League football. [£30m +]

4: Money that had been used, in previous two years, to pay off "Stadium Debt" [£30m + in both years] and...

5: Any money raised from sale of players. [F**k knows]

A best guess (and nothing more) and even if the money which was used to pay "H & G Stadium Debt" isn't re-cycled we should be looking at a minimum £80m.

Enough to buy Brendan that quality additional forward (or two) he's been craving, a couple or three midfielders and maybe a 'keeper and full-back.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #7: Apr 24, 2014 11:07:13 am
      Will leave:

Reina £4m - Needs replacing
      Jones £0 - With Reina replaced wouldn't need replacing
      Agger £12m - Would need replacing
      Cissokho £0 - Would need replacing
      Toure £1m and Wisdom £4m are possibilities - Ilori back means no replacement necessary
      Moses £0 - With Suso back wouldn't need replacing
      Assaidi £4m - Needs replacing
      Aspas £4m - With Borini back wouldn't need replacing

£29m - To replace essentially 4 players

I would have had Johnson high on my list until Brendan suggested that getting him a new contract would be a top priority, guess we'll see about that one. Enrique could also move as I don't think Brendan rates him that highly.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #8: Apr 24, 2014 11:12:56 am
      Will leave:

Reina £4m - Needs replacing
      Jones £0 - With Reina replaced wouldn't need replacing
      Agger £12m - Would need replacing
      Cissokho £0 - Would need replacing
      Toure £1m and Wisdom £4m are possibilities - Ilori back means no replacement necessary
      Moses £0 - With Suso back wouldn't need replacing
      Assaidi £4m - Needs replacing
      Aspas £4m - With Borini back wouldn't need replacing

£29m - To replace essentially 4 players

I would have had Johnson high on my list until Brendan suggested that getting him a new contract would be a top priority, guess we'll see about that one. Enrique could also move as I don't think Brendan rates him that highly.

We need to expand the squad IMO.

If we get rid of a lot of players, then we will need to buy arguably twice the amount of players. This won't be cheap as we are in the CL plus maybe EPL Champs.

If there is a clear out, then it may be in 12 months time.

Pepe is gone for sure.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #9: Apr 24, 2014 11:15:27 am
      We need to expand the squad IMO.

If we get rid of a lot of players, then we will need to buy arguably twice the amount of players. This won't be cheap as we are in the CL plus maybe EPL Champs.

If there is a clear out, then it may be in 12 months time.

Pepe is gone for sure.

I agree squad numbers have to swell and that's what I expect to be done with the actual budget. I do believe though that some of our returning loan players will actually improve our options on some of the players that haven't or wont feature in the future.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #10: Apr 24, 2014 11:48:45 am
      Enrique could also move as I don't think Brendan rates him that highly.
      I'm not so sure about that Luke. Enrique featured a lot last season [like a few others] after an initial period where he/they looked out of favour. His goal and assist return was relatively high then and he had two assists this season in only six games this season.

He's the sort of player who is, even if we do sign another left-back, a quality addition to the squad/bench if that makes any sense but that said; as a 'high earner' he might be moved on to "make room". On that theme the Club might also look to shed a couple of the higher earners - Johnson, Agger and/or Lucas maybe?

Apart from the loanees [Cissokho & Moses] I think we will also see the back of Jones, Toure, Kelly, Coates, Aspas & Assaidi and maybe even Alberto.

I reckon we will keep Borini, Ilori, Suso, Coady and Wisdom but might loan Coady, Ilori, and Wisdom out again (depending on how the right-back/centre-half positions pan out).

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #11: Apr 24, 2014 12:00:26 pm
      I'm not so sure about that Luke. Enrique featured a lot last season [like a few others] after an initial period where he/they looked out of favour. His goal and assist return was relatively high then and he had two assists this season in only six games this season.

He's the sort of player who is, even if we do sign another left-back, a quality addition to the squad/bench if that makes any sense but that said; as a 'high earner' he might be moved on to "make room". On that theme the Club might also look to shed a couple of the higher earners - Johnson, Agger and/or Lucas maybe?

Apart from the loanees [Cissokho & Moses] I think we will also see the back of Jones, Toure, Kelly, Coates, Aspas & Assaidi and maybe even Alberto.

I reckon we will keep Borini, Ilori, Suso, Coady and Wisdom but might loan Coady, Ilori, and Wisdom out again (depending on how the right-back/centre-half positions pan out).

You could well be right mate I've just always thought that Enrique hasn't been part of Brendan's long term plans. As a squad option I would definitely keep him but with Flanno/Johnson/Robinson able to provide cover I'm not sure we'll be able to make that decision because of that old dog finances.

I honestly believe we'll see a total change in the wing-back / full-back area next year. I think they're key components in what Brendan wants to do here and he hasn't got enough from the lads at his disposal to make him happy to persist with them. Flanno is very young and could keep on improving and I really hope he does but heading into the CL I think Brendan will opt for a safer option for now. Hopefully he does do a Carra though and, like him, the standing joke will be that every window someone comes in to replace him and every time he forces his way into the side.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #12: Apr 24, 2014 01:39:41 pm
      My shock inclusion for who I think will be shown the door this summer is Lucas, possibly Agger too.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #13: Apr 24, 2014 01:54:41 pm
      1: Our usual annual 'kitty' which, one assumes, already includes sponsorship, gate etc. [£25m/£30m]

2: Additional T.V. money. [£25m +]

3: Money guaranteed by Champions League football. [£30m +]

4: Money that had been used, in previous two years, to pay off "Stadium Debt" [£30m + in both years] and...

5: Any money raised from sale of players. [f**k knows]

Probably worth adding to that

6.  Increased prize money from the Premier League (maybe 2 or 3 million - although no doubt bonuses will eat that up)

7. Trigger payments from Warrior/Standard Chartered for Champions League football/Performance.  Heard a £10M figure mentioned.

8.  Money not spent in January.

You could say it wouldn't stretch the levels of incredulity that we could see a £100M budget.  However, we know how they like to do these deals over the length of the contract.

Getting back in the CL is great but I don't think we can guarantee we will be in it for the next 5 seasons.

I expect to see the reds spend a net figure of around £50-£60M this summer.  Lot still depends on Luis Suarez' motivation post World Cup as to the types of personnel we bring in.

"IF" Suarez was to leave I'd probably prefer Liverpool to purchase go out and spend big on one player to replace him rather than to opt for the Spurs approach.

Anyway, getting back to the topic.

Reina
      Enrique
      Coates
      Johnson
      Kelly
      Lucas
      Aspas

will all leave I reckon.

I really hope we don't get rid of Agger.  It would be a season too soon for an experienced European defender.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #14: Apr 24, 2014 01:59:22 pm
      I really hope we don't get rid of Agger.  It would be a season too soon for an experienced European defender.
      I have to agree mate - I am biased tho'... setting aside his ability I love the man's passion and loyalty.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,146 posts | 4897 
      Reply #15: Apr 24, 2014 02:08:08 pm
      My shock inclusion for who I think will be shown the door this summer is Lucas, possibly Agger too.

I think Agger might want to leave and agree that maybe Lucas will be moved on.

Personally I'd like to see us hold on to both.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #16: Apr 24, 2014 02:49:51 pm
      We need depth, not unloading a ton of players. A lot of you are listing people we need to hang on to.

Reina- obviously
      Coates- not been given a chance + Ilori is still here
      Aspas- can't handle English game
      Moses- thinks he is hot sh*t but did not do much
      Cissokho- love the guy but he just is not good enough
      Assaidi- most likely
      maybe Borini???

Reina, Coates and Assaidi and Borini were not even part of our team this season so you can't count those as losses? Aspas and Moses shouldnt be kept permanently and Aspas will move on. That is three first team players. I would say we need.

You could say we need a backup GK for competition, Jones is not too good. I like our CB groupings with Skrtel, Sakho, Agger and Toure all vying for spots plus Ilori. That gives us depth and competition for all of our games next season. I love Enrique and his strength and speed will come in handy. Johnson has been performing better and I still rate him. Flanno is moving his way up, I think we just need one more outside back for cover/comp. I think a box to box CM would help, Henderson can't play all of them plus a world class player in this position would make us that much better. I would say a LW as well and definitely another striker as a quality backup because sturridge and suarez cant play them all. An AM maybe, defensive mid maybe?

I think increasing quality depth is important. We need impact subs as well as more quality players to challenge in all competitions.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,005 posts | 3352 
      Reply #17: Apr 24, 2014 03:04:21 pm
      In all honesty, I'd be surprised if any major names left us this summer with the exception of Reina who is all but certain to go.

Arguments could be made for the majority of the squad as to why they'll leave but I really can't see it. Arguments could easily be made as to why they'll stay and the biggest stumbling block is usually the price tag. When Agger was linked with City last summer, we were holding out for somewhere around 20-25 mill - after this season, nobody is gonna pay that much for our Dane. Nobody has ever shown any real interest in Lucas, also I think Rodgers would want to hold on to him. We'd want a significant amount for Johnson, I doubt anyone would pay over 10 mill for him right now.

So in my eyes, it's more likely Reina, our loan signings not joining us permanently or the ones who are already out on loan leaving for good as well as another batch of youngsters who aren't gonna make it being told to find a new club.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #18: Apr 24, 2014 03:04:38 pm
      I think Agger might want to leave and agree that maybe Lucas will be moved on.

Personally I'd like to see us hold on to both.

Rumour has it Rafa will be in for Agger and can see Lucas being sacrificed for a midfielder in the mould of Henderson, good engine etc.

That's no slight on Lucas, I just think he will be the odd one out and Suso will probably groomed to take over Gerrard's role in the future.

Saying that I could be 100 miles away.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #19: Apr 24, 2014 03:26:19 pm
      Return:  Suso, Borini, Robinson, Coady, Wisdom & Ilori
      Send Back:  Cissokho & Moses
      Loan Out:  Teixeira, Alberto, Yesil, Ibe
      Sell:  Kelly, Jones, Toure, Aspas, Reina, Assaidi, Coates

That is 8 players who have featured this season (even if only minimally) out the door, and 6 players returning from loan to have a crack at breaking into the full squad.  Supplement this with better options in the following areas and we look much better for next season:

- Better backup GK
      - Versatile fullback who can play on either side
      - Top drawer CM with an engine on him, bite to his tackles, and powerful runs going forward
      - Versatile and tricky attacker who can play as a CAM, or fill a wide berth in a fluid front 3
      - Pacey and direct attacker who functions primarily as a ST/CF
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #20: Apr 24, 2014 03:40:04 pm

I have always wondered whether that was just another name for the out of court settlement that finally got Hicks and Gillett to walk away completely.

I am hoping our "war chest will be about £70million + sales

I think Moses, Cissokho, Aspas, Assaidi, Coates, Reina and possibly Kelly and even Agger might go. Obviously we are not going to recoup a vast sum from those... maybe around the "£25/30 million mark?

Anyway you look at it we need a substantial number of incoming players even with the return of our players from loan. 

David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,281 posts | 763 
      Reply #21: Apr 24, 2014 03:46:52 pm
      Obviously need a back up keeper and to strengthen defence, I think would be the main priority. It should be easier to sign better players providing the owners are prepared to stump up the cash.
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #22: Apr 24, 2014 03:48:55 pm
      A few journo's in the loop seem to be suggesting £60 + sales which wouldn't be too shabby.

Quick Reply