Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 17th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

The 'War Chest'... who will leave?

Read 15570 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: The 'War Chest'... who will leave?
      Reply #23: Apr 24, 2014 03:59:54 pm
      Probably worth adding to that

6.  Increased prize money from the Premier League (maybe 2 or 3 million - although no doubt bonuses will eat that up)

7. Trigger payments from Warrior/Standard Chartered for Champions League football/Performance.  Heard a £10M figure mentioned.

8.  Money not spent in January.

You could say it wouldn't stretch the levels of incredulity that we could see a £100M budget.  However, we know how they like to do these deals over the length of the contract.

Getting back in the CL is great but I don't think we can guarantee we will be in it for the next 5 seasons.

I expect to see the reds spend a net figure of around £50-£60M this summer.  Lot still depends on Luis Suarez' motivation post World Cup as to the types of personnel we bring in.

"IF" Suarez was to leave I'd probably prefer Liverpool to purchase go out and spend big on one player to replace him rather than to opt for the Spurs approach.

Anyway, getting back to the topic.

Reina
      Enrique
      Coates
      Johnson
      Kelly
      Lucas
      Aspas

will all leave I reckon.

I really hope we don't get rid of Agger.  It would be a season too soon for an experienced European defender.

I agree. A brilliant point from a brilliant blog post in the Luis Suarez thread discussing him and our club stated that our failure to compete adequately in the market was let down by the need to 'spread thinly on quantity rather than thickly on quality'. Man Utd's relative success in the transfer market under Ferguson was, I believe, down to their ability to bring in one or two top class players rather than 5 or 6 average ones. They never went through any major overhauls, only gradual additions here and there. This is what we need to do. I said it in the transfer thread but I would not like to see us overturn the squad to any great extent. That would require a lot of shape shifting and bond making once more within the squad. About two top class additions should suffice.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,575 posts | 6915 
      Reply #24: Apr 24, 2014 04:20:56 pm
      Man Utd's relative success in the transfer market under Ferguson was, I believe, down to their ability to bring in one or two top class players rather than 5 or 6 average ones. They never went through any major overhauls, only gradual additions here and there. This is what we need to do.

This all day long.

We are a good side now, a young side.  Sure our squad is thin but we have to be realistic and not expect a miracle in 4 competitions next year.

We need to build like a top European club would now.   Replace with better quality, not potential quality in a couple of years.

If Liverpool FC are currently debating bringing in 7 or 8 Alberto, Aspas, Ilori, Borini's at £8-£10M then they are working off the old blueprints.  Things have changed now.  I sincerely hope that the club do not rock the boat.

Let's enjoy Sterling, Flanagan, Henderson with another year under their belt.  Let's see whether Rossiter can follow Sterling's beacon.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #25: Apr 24, 2014 04:37:15 pm
      6.  Increased prize money from the Premier League (maybe 2 or 3 million - although no doubt bonuses will eat that up)

Heard that's ~£100m due to BT Sport.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,575 posts | 6915 
      Reply #26: Apr 24, 2014 05:05:54 pm
      Heard that's ~£100m due to BT Sport.

It's in another thread - I think overseas rights have also got a huge impact.

I meant the actual merit payment as bbb had already mentioned TV money in his list.  I think it's about £1M a place up the league - so if we win the league there's the extra £6M from 7th.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #27: Apr 24, 2014 05:27:12 pm
      I'd only like to see us bring in 2 or 3 top quality players.
      I know we have a war on all fronts next season,
      but we have a lot of young players due to come back from loan
      and a lot of squad players already.

If we spent our money on making sure we got our top targets,
      unlike this season where we missed out on Willian, Salah and Konoplyanka,
      then I wouldn't worry too much about the rest of the quad.

Before people think I've gone completely against my previous stance,
      where I said our squad is too small, I don't expect our squad to remain
      the same and fully expect some of the squad filler to be moved on.
      In that case of course we need to replace them, but I priority should
      be to get some quality into the team.

I'd be looking full backs and wide attacking options before we do anything else.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,272 posts | 761 
      Reply #28: Apr 24, 2014 06:51:36 pm
      One or two quality players is what we should aim for, rather than a few mediocre players. That is if we are to learn from the past should be the object of the "War chest"
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,921 posts | 283 
      Reply #29: Apr 25, 2014 02:46:46 am
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #30: Apr 25, 2014 03:30:20 am
      Imagine we bring in Rakitic and Moreno for around 40 mil, far less than the 55mil the scums are supposedly ready to spend on Shaw & Lallana, it would be a fantastic battle right from the transfer window
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #31: Apr 25, 2014 09:14:14 am
      Man Utd's relative success in the transfer market under Ferguson was, I believe, down to their ability to bring in one or two top class players rather than 5 or 6 average ones.
      Can't argue with that logic mate - it's a point which has been made a number of times in recent years... quality over quantity. I firmly believe that's how a strong squad should be built - you buy quality and move, if needs be, your erstwhile first team starters to 'the bench'/squad.

The buy one, sell one [one in, one out] 'policy', which we appeared to be following for a while, needs to change now we're back in the Champions League and I think it will. I said earlier that, if we continue with the "make room" 'philosophy', which sees higher earners moved on to "make room" [wages], then we might see the back of some or all of Lucas, Agger and Johnson. To me that would weaken the squad unless we are buying two (of equal or better quality/experience) to replace each of them.

By default therefore (and again, I've said this before); we should not be looking to shift players who have had an impact in the first team... only those who haven't.

NZRed
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #32: Apr 25, 2014 08:36:29 pm

By default therefore (and again, I've said this before); we should not be looking to shift players who have had an impact in the first team... only those who haven't.

It's been a mystery to me why Kelly hasn't had more of a crack this year post injuries...it wasn't that long ago that he was the next big thing. He'll probably be out the door, although I'd personally like to see him be given a run in preseason before a decision is made. Agger looks likely to go too, but surely if we are going to compete on all fronts he should be kept? None of him, skrtel, sakho or illori will play every game. Rotation would be a good policy in Central defence rather than any one player getting pushed out through lack of opportunity.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #33: Apr 25, 2014 09:11:11 pm
      It's been a mystery to me why Kelly hasn't had more of a crack this year post injuries...it wasn't that long ago that he was the next big thing. He'll probably be out the door, although I'd personally like to see him be given a run in preseason before a decision is made. Agger looks likely to go too, but surely if we are going to compete on all fronts he should be kept? None of him, skrtel, sakho or illori will play every game. Rotation would be a good policy in Central defence rather than any one player getting pushed out through lack of opportunity.

I agree with you, but I don't understand why so many people think Agger will be sold.  He is our vice captain, has played more games than Sakho, has YNWA tattoed on his knuckles, and he has said that he doesn't want to leave as long as he is in the managers plans.  I have to think that BR sees all 3 of Agger, Sakho, and Skrtel as being firmly in his plans for next season, so I can't see him leaving.  This would leave Ilori and Wisdom (assuming Toure is sold) as youthful backup options to provide depth across the back four.  I'd be happy with that core of CB's. 
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #34: Apr 25, 2014 09:18:26 pm
      I agree with you, but I don't understand why so many people think Agger will be sold.  He is our vice captain, has played more games than Sakho, has YNWA tattoed on his knuckles, and he has said that he doesn't want to leave as long as he is in the managers plans.  I have to think that BR sees all 3 of Agger, Sakho, and Skrtel as being firmly in his plans for next season, so I can't see him leaving.  This would leave Ilori and Wisdom (assuming Toure is sold) as youthful backup options to provide depth across the back four.  I'd be happy with that core of CB's. 

I get exactly what your saying here. Just one thing to add though, you say about playing more games than Sakho but that's not due to playing better than Sakho, and I'm not in anyway having a dig at Agger or his performances or anything, just that he has probably played a bit more than he may have done because Sakho was out for quite a while with his injury.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,140 posts | 4894 
      Reply #35: Apr 25, 2014 10:50:24 pm

I've said it and still feel it's a very real possibility.

If Brendan needs to add to his budget Agger is a player I feel he may well see thatwill give him a decent transfer fee and an area we have good cover in.

More likely though I think Agger may see his chances of playing next season getting smaller and look for one last move for regular football.

I'll just put it on record again though that I wouldn't sell him and feel we need to keep the likes of Danny and build the squad further to really strengthen.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #36: Apr 25, 2014 11:07:16 pm
      It's in another thread - I think overseas rights have also got a huge impact.

I meant the actual merit payment as bbb had already mentioned TV money in his list.  I think it's about £1M a place up the league - so if we win the league there's the extra £6M from 7th.

It was indeed JD. For those who missed it.....

vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #37: Apr 25, 2014 11:22:09 pm
      Man utd success in transfers under ferguson? I thought they bought superstars a fair few of whom did not do well and were shipped out. I think they used the Real Madrid policy. I think ferguson having an eye for a player is hilarious given that we all had the same eye. He didn't know why veron wasn't good and van nistelroy was he just grabbed them because they were the best at what they did.  He can't tweak a system to fix it he just shifts them on.

Back to us. 'War Chest' ? When madrid, Munich, Barcelona, citeh, psg, Monaco and chelski in the market we don't have a war chest we have enough to buy a couple squad players and one or two very good defensive players. Which is what we need.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,575 posts | 6915 
      Reply #38: Apr 25, 2014 11:41:01 pm

Where are the live tv figures from. Ultimately that depends on who finishes where and how many times they've been on.

Who's been televised most this season?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,140 posts | 4894 
      Reply #39: Apr 25, 2014 11:42:45 pm
      Who's been televised most this season?

I'm sure we are up there, if not top, of that list.
      nohockeynoproblem
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 54 posts |
      Reply #40: Apr 26, 2014 01:36:35 am
      I've said it and still feel it's a very real possibility.

If Brendan needs to add to his budget Agger is a player I feel he may well see thatwill give him a decent transfer fee and an area we have good cover in.

More likely though I think Agger may see his chances of playing next season getting smaller and look for one last move for regular football.

I'll just put it on record again though that I wouldn't sell him and feel we need to keep the likes of Danny and build the squad further to really strengthen.

I highly doubt this. With Agger gone we have just Sakho and Skertl ready to play EPL and CL level games meaning we would need two new CB's anyways, so why not just sign one and keep Agger?

I doubt that anyone outside of Aspas and the loanees leave, there would be too many holes to fill. The odds of us selling one player and getting back two better players based on that "extra" money are very, very slight.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #41: Apr 26, 2014 01:52:22 am
      I'm sure we are up there, if not top, of that list.

IF Sky buy the rights to show the Newcastle match then we would have been on SS for 21 league matches and on BT Sport for 7 league matches. Something tells me that you're right, we should be top of the list.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #42: Apr 26, 2014 10:25:30 pm
      Coates will go.

Aspas wont hang around.

Jose Enrique.

May ship Johnson to baptise a new back four.

Toure

Assaidi

Moses

Cissokho

Illori

Reina
      Can see Ilori staying and Borini going. Alberto has a question mark over him. Armin Hodzic on loan to FK Zeljeznicar Sarajevo and he is their top scorer and they're 3rd in the Bosnian league. He has 10 goals in 22 games. I'd be tempted to give him a run in the Carling cup to see if he's anywhere near ready for the EPL. As for Krisztián Adorján, He's not hitting the net enough for me, he has 3 goals from 20 in the Dutch league, so I think I'd reloan him out to see if he can have a better season somewhere else.
      « Last Edit: Apr 26, 2014 10:37:14 pm by Ribapuru »
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #43: Apr 26, 2014 10:43:14 pm

I think if Agger goes it will be because he is so injury prone rather than anything else. A lot will depend imo on how Ilori has developed and whether we can bring in someone with the quality we require at a price we can afford to pay, but ultimately it will be fitness that decides Agger's fate.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #44: Apr 26, 2014 11:51:15 pm
      Personally I think the most important thing is that the boss and the current squad have raised the bar on what is expected week in, week out
      The foundation has been laid so any player that have been out on loan this season know now that they have to comeback completely committed and are lucky to be on the club at this amazing time.
      I would want though the players on loan at the club to leave as they really haven't delivered at all.
      As for those contracted players currently at the club, I don't want any of them to leave.
      I want to add to to the squad with the returning loan players and about 5 new hardworking and focused players who are here for the privilege and not the CL money that we will now have.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #45: Apr 27, 2014 08:26:04 am

Also, some of the totals don't add up correctly.

1st was correct, but 2nd should have been £97,187,791, I think. Not saying the figures are way off, but it does cast a bit of doubt on them.

Quick Reply