Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Mystified - Alberto, Aspas, Ilori and the £22M

Read 7732 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: Mystified
      Reply #23: May 09, 2014 03:07:38 pm
      Mate, Ilori is out on loan, doing very well, and is widely regarded as one of the best defensive prospects at the club, plus he's a couple of years younger than Coates.

Ilori is regarded as one of the best defensive prospects in the world mate, never mind the Club  :nod:
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #24: May 09, 2014 03:41:28 pm
      Ilori is regarded as one of the best defensive prospects in the world mate, never mind the Club  :nod:

I thought so, but couldn't be arsed checking, so I dialled it down a notch ;)
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #25: May 09, 2014 03:51:01 pm
      I thought so, but couldn't be arsed checking, so I dialled it down a notch ;)

Although I quoted your post mate, my comment was aimed more at those who keep questioning his ability or why we bought him :gt-happyup:
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #26: May 12, 2014 09:26:04 am
      As for Aspas, I don't think he's had sufficient minutes to be able to pass reasonable judgement on. But toward the end of the season,even though he gave his all, Luis looked tired.  Maybe Aspas could have gained more minutes here.

As for the real agenda here regarding transfers, the truth is we honestly don't know the stance of the owners. For example, we were after Salah. That was no secret. It wasn't a vast sum of money being asked for him considering the potential there. But we flapped about and made a pigs ear of it and ultimately lost out. Now the general concensus is Ayre fu**ed around quibbling about a million or so and cost us the deal. But what's to say FSG or even Brendan simply didn't rate him as highly as Basel were asking? After all, BR has brought through Raheem who is arguably better than Salah, and at a fraction cost wise. Why pay more for someone who can do the same job,  albeit not quite as well?

The process involved in getting players is not transparent to us fans,  so we can only post comments of our distaste or disappointment,  or joy, without ever fully understanding of who is responsible and why.
      NZRed
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #27: May 12, 2014 09:42:40 am

After all, BR has brought through Raheem who is arguably better than Salah, and at a fraction cost wise.

Good point. You could make similar statements regarding development of Henderson, Flanagan, etc. this season

Next season - bringing on an Illori, Teixera, Suso, Wisdom, Coady or McLaughlin might prove a better investment than splurging millions on an Aspas or Alberto, or loaning in the likes of Moses or Cissoko.

I'm really excited to see what BR can do with our youngsters next year, developing talent seems a real strength of his and hopefully that will continue in the future.

MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #28: May 12, 2014 11:18:25 am
      Good point. You could make similar statements regarding development of Henderson, Flanagan, etc. this season

Next season - bringing on an Illori, Teixera, Suso, Wisdom, Coady or McLaughlin might prove a better investment than splurging millions on an Aspas or Alberto, or loaning in the likes of Moses or Cissoko.

I'm really excited to see what BR can do with our youngsters next year, developing talent seems a real strength of his and hopefully that will continue in the future.

Those that are willing to work under Brendans guidance, ie pull their finger and work hard alà Henderson,  will flourish.  Those who aren't willing,  will be gone. Here's hoping they recognise the opportunity and grasp it with both hands.

cezar_sl
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 612 posts |
      Re: Mystified - Alberto, Aspas, Ilori and the £22M
      Reply #29: May 17, 2014 01:28:16 pm
      Illori is good, but you can't experiment with centrebacks. You can't sub him in at 70 minutes because you destabilize the defensive unit. That's why he went on loan.

Aspas was supposed to be a mini Suarez. But with us not going that far in cups, and with Suarez being made of steel and playing every game, there was no room for him. Still, every time Moses came on instead of him ...

Alberto is also good, and has proven that on the pitch. But, remember his recent incident with the law. That might be indicative of some attitude problems. I don't think BR will reward him with starts if that doesn't change.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #30: May 17, 2014 01:30:23 pm
      Yeah Swab, but if you don't like Chicken and you're told to order from Nandos you can't be blamed for leaving your meal either.

You crack me up Luke  :lmao:
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #31: May 17, 2014 01:36:50 pm
      I think Alberto might be good, Aspas and Ilori have to go IMO, give Coates a go.

What in the name of sweet F**k?

:mad:
      NZRed
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #32: May 17, 2014 08:38:43 pm

Yep. Would like to see Illori actually pull the shirt on before making any judgement!
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #33: May 17, 2014 08:41:29 pm
      I'll tell you what's F***ing mystifying, is people wanting Ilori out of the club when he's been on loan (and doing very, very well) and hasn't played for us yet.

It's beyond ridiculous.
      In fact, it's F***ing embarrassing.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #34: May 17, 2014 08:45:37 pm
      I'll tell you what's f**king mystifying, is people wanting Ilori out of the club when he's been on loan (and doing very, very well) and hasn't played for us yet.

It's beyond ridiculous.
      In fact, it's f**king embarrassing.

Can only put it down to people not following his progress.

While I haven't watched much of him playing I've tried to keep up with reports and by all accounts he's been excellent. He's perfect for how I believe Brendan wants to play and I would not be surprised if he is close to pushing his way into the first team by the end of next season, perhaps even earlier.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #35: May 17, 2014 09:15:53 pm
      Can only put it down to people not following his progress.

While I haven't watched much of him playing I've tried to keep up with reports and by all accounts he's been excellent. He's perfect for how I believe Brendan wants to play and I would not be surprised if he is close to pushing his way into the first team by the end of next season, perhaps even earlier.

I think history doesn't really give us much confidence when it comes to loans though mate. When was the last time we loaned someone out and they came back to make a career here? Usually a loan is the precursor to the player being sold.

Hopefully under Brendan things may change, but usually the players that we loan come back to find that they are still not considered good enough for the first team and that someone has stepped up and taken their place in the reserves. Leaving them with no other real option than to either go out on loan again or find a new club.

We have a few out on loan at the moment that could change that imo :- Suso, Wisdom and Ilori fingers crossed they do.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #36: May 17, 2014 10:09:21 pm
      I agree with swab, I've been hearing very good things about Illori, with big clubs already after him. He could turn out to be great, with his pace and passing. Then Big teams like may want him (maybe?) and not only would we miss him being in our team but his value would increase drastically.
      Not all players are already known quantities, there will be new faces and names in development now obviously.
      I know we could of used that money for a instant starter, I guess sometimes you just have to get players like that when they're available. Too good of a bargain.
      Haven't seen enough of Alberto yet. isn't it a good thing to have players we don't quite realise the quality of? Than have no future at the club with no players ready to burst onto the scene.
      Aspas may have become our saviour if Suarez or Sturridge got injured or banned. I understand why we got him but it hasn't really panned out.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #37: May 17, 2014 10:49:53 pm
      I'm not that mystified.

Aspas, whenever I've seen him play (friendlies mostly) actually looks like a decent player. Lets not hold that one corner at chelsea against him. He looks solid. Nowt spectacular though, so he couldn't dislodge the two best strikers in the league. Thats not really a crime.

Illori looks like better business every time I've seen him play. I don't think my view on him having great potential is too controversial.

Alberto - I cannae say how good this signing was because we haven't seen him play really. All I can say is that not every cheap young player becomes Coutinho and breaks into the first team immediately. That doesn't mean they never will, and that it is bad business. Furthermore, not every purchase is going to be a hit. That's life Jim and doesn't necessary mean due diligence was done before the purchase.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #38: May 17, 2014 11:23:42 pm
      Haven't seen Ilori kick a ball yet so I can't make any judgment. Good to hear the positive reports about his tine in Spain though, sound promising.

I don't actually believe Alberto was bought for the future, I'd say Brendan was hoping to use him a little more this season, but couldn't make room for him with every result being so crucial. I don't think Brendan would have sold Shelvey unless he thought Alberto could do a job for us.

I feel sorry for Aspas, his pre season was full of promise, but when it came to the Premier league, it was like a case of " welcome to the big-time "! Maybe when your playing in a team with S&S it's hard to make yourself look good enough.
      NZRed
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #39: May 18, 2014 01:21:47 am
      I don't actually believe Alberto was bought for the future, I'd say Brendan was hoping to use him a little more this season, but couldn't make room for him with every result being so crucial. I don't think Brendan would have sold Shelvey unless he thought Alberto could do a job for us

Agreed, also he wasn't perhaps needed as much as anticipated because we had a pretty fortunate run this season without major injuries to key players, meaning there wasn't a great need to call on back up options (except at left-back). With extra games next season he can expect a better run in the team (unless other players are bought in ahead of him).
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #40: May 18, 2014 06:52:03 am
      For my part, my inclusion of Ilori wasn't so much to ask why buy him if you're not going to play him, it just didn't dawn on me that some youth are for the future and are loaned out - that's a legitimate reason for not having him here.

As for Aspas and Alberto, my question was more a case of 'what did anyone ever see in them'.
      yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Reply #41: May 18, 2014 01:18:14 pm
      I was critical of ilori's signing but he is going to prove an excellent signing. He kept messi and co out recently and I think he ll be in the mix next season.

Aspas is limited. Whether he ll be happy to be 4th choice next season I am not sure. If we sell him we won't lose too much.

Alberto is interesting. His recent drink driving incident may complicate things in terms of Rodgers' trust. But a good loan and he may come good.

We will lose a lot less on those even if none of them make it than we did on downing. Don't even start me on Carroll
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #42: May 18, 2014 08:45:49 pm
      It's like when you was a kid and wanted your first pair of Addidas "Kick" trainers, and your Mum and Dad bought you a pair from Woollies and your Dad told you "these are probably made in the same factory, just as good!".

He was wrong, they weren't and they aren't.

Christ Mick, you must have been in a worst state than me then. I was always gutted to be given Gola. I was dead made up with me Hi-Tech Silver Shadows though ;D

Brendan has always been full of contradictions on the matter. Seem to recall that the 'committee' was always one of his ideas so as to abate any financial duress on FSG. Wasn't he who said an FSG member would be part of said committee? Maybe his own rationale of his plan to them might not have worked out in the favour or advantage that Brendan might have hoped for.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #43: May 18, 2014 10:16:30 pm
      Ilori will come good for the future.

Alberto is lacking pace but there is evidence of a cracking player there. His passing range is excellent and, very attacking for a continental player. He has good game intelligence and could be a success if he is given a protracted run.

Aspas has shown some good flashes in his play technically but I have to admit I have been puzzled by his mentality. From early reports I thought he would be like a mixture of Costa and Suarez but I haven't see much evidence of that. Hopefully he will fare better in the second season.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #44: May 18, 2014 10:30:00 pm
      I'll tell you what's F***ing mystifying, is people wanting Ilori out of the club when he's been on loan (and doing very, very well) and hasn't played for us yet.

It's beyond ridiculous.
      In fact, it's F***ing embarrassing.

Indeed.

Some bizarre chat on here recently.

Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #45: May 18, 2014 10:51:33 pm
      Alberto could be anything, Illori could be anything. Back them in people, this is real life, this is our football club, these are real human beings, kids in fact, that want to make it at Liverpool FC. This is not FIFA 14. Give them your faith and you will be rewarded.

Quick Reply