Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Mystified - Alberto, Aspas, Ilori and the £22M

Read 7733 times
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,952 posts | 217 
      Re: Mystified - Alberto, Aspas, Ilori and the £22M
      Reply #46: May 18, 2014 11:00:29 pm
       Ilori with another clean sheet and 90 mins under his belt tonight.
      BR has to bring him back and play him in the cups even  in the PL against one of the lesser teams
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #47: May 19, 2014 05:37:48 am
      I just hope we don't bring in any loan players this window.

I truly think we should be playing our own players every minute of every match.  especially in tournies like CL.  this experience directly benefits the player and why keep pumping out someone else's asset?

the whole moses / aspas thing gets brought up once in a while.   yes they are two very diff players but everytime we bring out a loaned player... there is possibly another LFC player that could've been selected sitting on the bench.   look how game time has improved Flanagan, hendo, allen, sterling especially ....  lets give our own LFC lads the precious game minutes.  you can train all you want... doesn't hold a candel to a real game situation
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #48: May 19, 2014 06:24:43 am
      Shocking to think that last summer when Suarez was itching for a move away, Aspas had to come out and clarify that he would not be Suarez's replacement:

http://www.espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1476713/iago-aspas-not-replacing-luis-suarez-liverpool?cc=5901

just think about that for a second.

Some people actually thought Aspas would have been the replacement for Suarez.

just.... try to wrap your mind around that.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #49: May 19, 2014 10:41:59 am
      Shocking to think that last summer when Suarez was itching for a move away, Aspas had to come out and clarify that he would not be Suarez's replacement:

http://www.espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1476713/iago-aspas-not-replacing-luis-suarez-liverpool?cc=5901

Why bother when we've had an amazing season and we've got next season to look forward to  :mad:
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #50: May 20, 2014 12:49:28 pm
      For my part, my inclusion of Ilori wasn't so much to ask why buy him if you're not going to play him, it just didn't dawn on me that some youth are for the future and are loaned out - that's a legitimate reason for not having him here.

As for Aspas and Alberto, my question was more a case of 'what did anyone ever see in them'.

A perfectly fair question was what you asked mate, and indicated you knew Ilori was playing abroad.
      What I mean by a "fair question" is that you asked why pay that money and not play him. The obvious answer being that we paid for potential and got in before other big clubs came sniffing round. It happens all the time with all the major clubs, and some work out while others don't, as I'm sure you know.

No, what I'm referring to is people saying things like "he's done nothing", apparently not even realising he's out on loan, and "get rid now" when he could quite easily become one of the best in Europe, and therefore the world ;)
      It's F***ing mind boggling to me that someone can profess to be a fan, but not know a thing about one of our most exciting young players.
      I know not everyone follows every aspect of the club, but ffs, this is basic stuff.   :mad:
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #51: May 20, 2014 03:43:32 pm
      No, what I'm referring to is people saying things like "he's done nothing", apparently not even realising he's out on loan, and "get rid now" when he could quite easily become one of the best in Europe, and therefore the world ;)
      It's F***ing mind boggling to me that someone can profess to be a fan, but not know a thing about one of our most exciting young players.

Some people just see football as the 1st team only mate, not everyone has the time nor the inclination to look beyond that.  In the good old days players arrived then disappeared into the reserves for a season or two, sometimes we'd even forgotten we had them till they appeared on the team sheet.

Nowadays it's totally different, we can follow their progress through the official site, facebook, youtube, twitter, forums and also lfc.tv.  There really is no excuse for people to not know how our young lads/new signings are doing but as I said not everybody is interested.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #52: May 20, 2014 05:32:23 pm
      Some  just see football as the 1st team only mate, not everyone has the time nor the inclination to look beyond that.  In the good old days players arrived then disappeared into the reserves for a season or two, sometimes we'd even forgotten we had them till they appeared on the team sheet.

Nowadays it's totally different, we can follow their progress through the official site, facebook, youtube, twitter, forums and also lfc.tv.  There really is no excuse for people to not know how our young lads/new signings are doing but as I said not everybody is interested.

Yeah, I know mate, but if people don't know who a player is, or how good he is, should they really be commenting on whether or not we should keep him?

I'm not going to be a snob about the level of knowledge of the team and ressies people have, but it seems daft to make a very negative comment if someone doesn't know a thing about the player apart from not seeing his name on the team sheet.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #53: May 20, 2014 06:12:33 pm
      Yeah, I know mate, but if people don't know who a player is, or how good he is, should they really be commenting on whether or not we should keep him?

I'm not going to be a snob about the level of knowledge of the team and ressies people have, but it seems daft to make a very negative comment if someone doesn't know a thing about the player apart from not seeing his name on the team sheet.

Probably not mate but it isn't going to stop them  ;D
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #54: Nov 15, 2014 10:28:06 am
      How are these chaps of ours doing this season then?

Heck, if Aspas were still here, he'd be our no.1 striker.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #55: Nov 15, 2014 12:52:28 pm
      How are these chaps of ours doing this season then?

Heck, if Aspas were still here, he'd be our no.1 striker.

He would, wouldn't he? rofl

http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,46939.0.html
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #56: Nov 15, 2014 04:18:46 pm
      These three players.... what a terrible waste of money.

I was sure Illori would make it, but he's struggling at Bordeaux and looks increasingly unlikely to ever play a game for Liverpool.

What a sorry state of affairs.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #57: Nov 15, 2014 04:46:32 pm
      Brendan Rodgers is part of the committee and has the last word on who is brought in.

He's stated this more than once.

Why is this so hard to understand?

The only reason I can think of is people wanting to create an "out" for the manager when a signing he makes isn't up to the job.

Alberto and Ilori were both bought as development players.

Aspas I think (just my opinion here) was bought as a squad option, not to play every match.
      He looked pretty good in pre-season matches, but has really struggled with the pace of the league.

It needs repeating SWAB  especially for Brendan who has now been making sound bites about others influence.
      He took the job on total control or nothing .
      He got it.

He took the plaudits on 2nd place however it was achieved.
      He takes the sh*te now.
      He accepts his win percentage.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #58: Nov 15, 2014 04:51:25 pm

Yes Fed.... and he was given  the No. 9 shirt previously worn by legends of this club !
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #59: Nov 16, 2014 01:21:41 pm
      Yes Fed.... and he was given  the No. 9 shirt previously worn by legends of this club !

If he were at the club now, ... I'D START HIM!!

could anyone state he is worse than the 3 fit strikers currently at the club ?
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #60: Nov 16, 2014 02:18:00 pm

Legends like El-Hadji Diouf, Djibril Cisse and Andy Carroll!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #61: Nov 16, 2014 02:29:19 pm

He said Legends not Leg ends :D
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #62: Nov 16, 2014 03:05:03 pm

All of whom were a country mile better than Aspas.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #63: Nov 16, 2014 08:12:04 pm
      Unfortunately, the actual number of a shirt doesn't mean half as much as it used to

23 not withstanding of course
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #64: Nov 17, 2014 12:22:17 am
      Unfortunately, the actual number of a shirt doesn't mean half as much as it used to

23 not withstanding of course

The shirt is worth what it's always been worth - the calibre of the player wearing it. Sadly that calibre has dropped in recent years.
      handbrake2
      • Forum Youth Player

• 10 posts |
      Reply #65: Nov 17, 2014 02:41:39 am
      I see everyone saying that Ilori is one "for the future". We have serious CB issues now so why not use him? He is the same age as Varane and if there was any rumour that we were buying him there would be a (happy) riot. The difference between the 2 is that Varane was given the chance in the first team by a manager who understands how to coach defence. If we are not careful Ilori will go from on loan to sold to Spanish team X and we will be left wishing we could only find a decent CB somewhere.

Quick Reply