Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Fabio Borini (Sunderland/QPR)

Read 73375 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Fabio Borini (Sunderland/QPR)
      May 16, 2014 02:04:00 pm
      Fabio Borini the pick of the bunch, according to Sunderland coach Charlie Oatway
      Vito Mannone may have been the fans’ choice for player of the year, but Sunderland coach Charlie Oatway insists Fabio Borini was his pick of the bunch.

On-loan Liverpool man Borini was a huge hit in his season on Wearside, scoring 10 goals in all competitions - including strikes home and away against rivals Newcastle in the league, and one at Wembley in the League Cup final - and becoming a terrace favourite.

Mannone just edged out his fellow-Italian in the voting for the Sunderland Supporters’ Association Player of the Year award, although Borini did pick up the Young Player of the Year accolade instead.

But first team coach Oatway singled out the 23-year-old not only for his contribution on the pitch, but also for his attitude off the pitch.

Asked to pick his own personal player of the year, Oatway said: “For me, Borini.

“I love the kid. He’s a pleasure to work with.

“He’s such a humble guy. For instance, he was driving home after the West Brom game and he saw three Italians who he’d met earlier because they wanted his autograph.

“He saw they were walking to Newcastle, so he picked them up and drove them there.

“That’s the type of guy he is.

“If he doesn’t stay with us, I hope he really succeeds in his career because he deserves it.

“He’s very professional on a daily basis.

“He goes out on the training field at virtually the same time as the coaching staff, about 15 minutes before the rest of them.

“He’s out there starting to stretch and preparing for what’s coming.

“If you’re a kid, he’s one to watch.”

Borini’s loan spell ran out at the end of the season and he has now returned to Anfield.

But Sunderland would love to sign him over the summer - either on a permanent basis, or for another season on loan.

However the ball is firmly in Liverpool’s court.

Oatway admitted: “It’s one of the easier ones for us in some ways because it’s not in our hands.

“It’s totally in Liverpool’s hands.

“We’ll just have to wait and monitor that one.

“But I’m sure if he is available, he’d like to come back and play with us.”

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fabio-borini-pick-bunch-according-7116831

Very much depends on who we get this summer on whether Borini is allowed to leave, but you would suggest that with the £65M or so Sunderland got from the media, and with the praise he is getting from their coach, that there is a strong possibility they may elect to bid for him.
      « Last Edit: Sep 01, 2014 06:30:41 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Re: Fabio Borini (Sunderland)
      Reply #1: May 16, 2014 02:41:45 pm
      He's one to keep for me.

Unless we are going to buy a couple more strikers which I don't see happening.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #2: May 16, 2014 02:44:13 pm
      Keep him.

Good player, works hard, good movement and is hungry to succeed with us.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #3: May 16, 2014 02:44:42 pm
      Listening to Brendan after the Shamrock game you would think he has a future

Talked about how he knows him better than anyone, that the year on loan was vital for his development, that he knew with the amount of games last season and having the other two he would need that development but next season we have more games

Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #4: May 16, 2014 03:04:59 pm
      Keep the lad and give him a season - especially with CL and the Cups we are in, he will get time. Also, with the obligatory subbing of Sturridge at 70+ Mins he will finish most games for us!
      chap
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 672 posts | 35 
      Reply #5: May 16, 2014 05:27:38 pm
      He was one of the better players in Dublin on wednesday works his socks off id keep him unless there is a much better player on the way in
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #6: May 16, 2014 06:02:38 pm
      Also, with the obligatory subbing of Sturridge at 70+ Mins he will finish most games for us!

A fair point that, and you could also add coutinho to the list of players who struggle over a full 90 minutes.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #7: May 16, 2014 06:41:22 pm
      We have Sturridge and Suarez
      No true back up for those 2
       he's better than Iago , hardworking player,so we should keep him with all the games coming in all competitions, with the U21 striker Dunn, a real prospect
       so we have enough there I think
       concentrate on the defence strenghtening

YNWA
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #8: May 16, 2014 07:41:17 pm
      Not going to lie.  The Sunderland interest pleases me.
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #9: May 16, 2014 07:45:18 pm
      I am a bit stuck with this one. I would like to see him come back and get game time because I think is he is a good player and has potential.
      But on the other hand, I enjoyed watching him play for Sunderland, he was their best player (IMO), he was a regular starter and I would allow him to leave if he wanted to go to Sunderland, and hope he went onto great things.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #10: May 16, 2014 07:46:14 pm
      Not going to lie.  The Sunderland interest pleases me.

Not going to lie, I doubt any one really cares.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #11: May 16, 2014 07:53:27 pm
      Haha.

His ethos was the reason why Brendan bought him in, in the first place. He's not going anywhere. He's an intelligent footballer with a hardworking attitude. Ok he's not that pacey but he has been pretty clinical towards the end of the season and definitely has an eye for goal.

We will bring in another CF/RWF, get rid of Aspas and get Borini back this summer.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #12: May 16, 2014 09:24:18 pm
      What if Sunderland were to offer something in the region of £10-12M for him - would you take it or how about doing a straight swap with Swansea for Bony? Someone who we apparently could have picked up in 2007 when he came here for trials.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #13: May 16, 2014 10:31:09 pm
      What if Sunderland were to offer something in the region of £10-12M for him - would you take it or how about doing a straight swap with Swansea for Bony? Someone who we apparently could have picked up in 2007 when he came here for trials.

I would bite Sunderland's hand off if they offered to pay that sort of money. He has had a decent season at Sunderland but is anyone truly happy with the idea of Borini stepping in for an injured Suarez, Sturrudge or Sterling? He represents a big drop off from any of those players. I know I would be disappointed to see him in our starting line up for a big game.
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,332 posts | 183 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #14: May 17, 2014 03:10:47 am
      I would bite Sunderland's hand off if they offered to pay that sort of money. He has had a decent season at Sunderland but is anyone truly happy with the idea of Borini stepping in for an injured Suarez, Sturrudge or Sterling? He represents a big drop off from any of those players. I know I would be disappointed to see him in our starting line up for a big game.

So you want a player of Suarez-esque quality on the bench? Not gonna happen.

For all the talk about BR, people is quite frequently not coherent at all. If BR wants him in the team, I'm all for it. That's all the debate I have about the subject. None.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #15: May 17, 2014 10:03:26 am

For all the talk about BR, people is quite frequently not coherent at all. If BR wants him in the team, I'm all for it. That's all the debate I have about the subject. None.
      I don't think he said about another Suarez on the bench,  he just said we need better than Borini on the bench. I agree. We qualified for champions league so we need to rotate players anyway. If we have to pay 25m for Lallana and get 10m for Borini it's a smaller dent in our transfer kitty too.
      Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #16: May 17, 2014 10:21:05 am

I just want a player of better quality on the bench. Borini didn't look the part in his first season with us (albeit an injury hit season) and if I'm honest he hasn't really impressed me that much at Sunderland. He has done quite well, but well enough to suggest he can come in and match the exploits of our lads this past season? Not for me. He is getting lots of support because we like to support our players, and that's great, i'm all for it BUT I don't think he is good enough for where we are heading.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #17: May 17, 2014 10:54:59 am
      He has had a decent season at Sunderland but is anyone truly happy with the idea of Borini stepping in for an injured Suarez, Sturrudge or Sterling? He represents a big drop off from any of those players. I know I would be disappointed to see him in our starting line up for a big game.
      I fully understand where you are coming from Scott but a couple of things... 1: Brendan obviously rates the lad; to the extent that he was his first signing and he heralded him as 'exciting' (if I remember right) and 2: If Fabio comes back he'll be more of a 'second' choice replacement/fourth striker (as I see us, finally, landing the quality, additional out and out, attacker he's been craving) coming off the bench as an impact sub.

To that extent he has definitely more appeal than Iago and/or maybe more appeal than taking a transfer punt on another 'fourth' choice' striker. It could be that the season out is just what the lad needed and he'll return hungrier and willing.

Either way - we will need an other quality striker anyhow. I'd be happy to wait-see on that front before deciding.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #18: May 17, 2014 11:55:51 am
      We may have to make do with Borini as our 3rd choice striker. We are not manchester City whereby we can afford to spend 20 million plus on a bench warmer. We have to be productive with our money. With the strikers we have currently got, there is no point in investing in any others when there are serious areas on the pitch that need attention (I.e defence)
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #19: May 17, 2014 12:14:50 pm
      We may have to make do with Borini as our 3rd choice striker. We are not manchester City whereby we can afford to spend 20 million plus on a bench warmer.
      "Not Man City"; hmm.

What if (and I'm only throwing this out there)... what if, Brendan wants to sign that quality striker, the one he's been asking, for as a starter? Man City or not I think we will be able to afford him. What do you reckon?

With the strikers we have currently got, there is no point in investing in any others when there are serious areas on the pitch that need attention (I.e defence)
      Nope... you've lost me mate. "the strikers we currently have": that would be Suarez; Sturridge, Aspas and Borini then? What you're suggesting (with two injuries/suspensions) leaves us with Aspas and Borini as starters.

Personally, I'd argue that there's very little, quality cover there and (like Brendan) I reckon it needs addressing first. One quality signing (* insert name here) to play in a front three; Aspas moved on with Borini, Sterling and Coutinho used as cover [all three having played in a front three often] should the need arise.

It's all about opinions C_R but in my opinion that's a lot stronger than what you're suggesting. 

redraider
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts | 20 
      Reply #20: May 17, 2014 01:23:12 pm
      I think Brendan sees a future for Borini with us.  I'd be surprised if he goes.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #21: May 17, 2014 02:08:42 pm
      I like fabio. He's a grafter and he has skills.

He WILL become a top player at club and national levels. Good competition for Sturridge IMO. Still young enough to adapt if need be, and we need decent squad players for cup games etc...
      Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #22: May 17, 2014 02:30:56 pm
      I'd like to hear what people think he brings to the table?

For myself, I don't think he is quick enough to truly frighten defenders, I don't think he has the tricks or skills to go at players one on one and beat them and he doesn't have the strengths to be an ox up front who can play with his back to goal and bring others into play and neither have I seen anything spectacular in terms of his passing range.

What I see is a hard working player with a good engine and a good attitude who makes some intelligent runs (both for himself and others) and also a lad who has some good instincts when he is in the box.

At least that is my assessment. The question is, is that enough? I don't think it is.

On the other hand he could be next year's Jordan Henderson but I suspect not.

Quick Reply