Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Fabio Borini (Sunderland/QPR)

Read 73309 times
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: Fabio Borini (Sunderland)
      Reply #46: May 19, 2014 01:27:16 pm
      I like how Fabio's detractors want to compare him to the best striker in the game right now on form (Suarez) and slate him because his stats aren't as good.
      It is more than a bit ridiculous to be honest.  ;D
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #47: May 19, 2014 01:29:28 pm
      I like Borini, I always liked his movement and in game intelligence and he looks to have got a bit more confidence now. I think he will be a very valuable member of the squad next season.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #48: May 19, 2014 01:34:05 pm
      I like Fabio too... Always have

*Apart from when he brought his sister underware   :o
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #49: May 19, 2014 02:02:32 pm
      It makes perfect sense IF you have come to the conclusion that he wasn't worth the £12 million the club paid for him in the first place and someone else is willing to get somewhere ear that figure.

And as for a replacement. As I've said a couple of times earlier in the thread. We don't have to go out. And buy an out an out number 9. Why it buy someone who can challenge to start in wide areas who is also able to do a job in the 9 shirt. That makes. The most sense to me.

I guess it is all budget related. If there is a ton of money for Brendan to spend then great, keep players like Borini and give them another shot. If not, I'd test the market.

I just can't see why everyone is so I pressed by his spell at Sunderland which was decent but not much better than that in my Opinion.

If he hadn't, then yes but the point is he has proven to be worth a shot. You also fail to factor in the risks of failure to acclimatise to the Premiership and to England unless we go for one already playing here and I don't know any that are and available who are better than Borini.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,254 posts | 2800 
      Reply #50: May 19, 2014 02:08:51 pm
      Showed a lot of improvement in the last few months so I'd like to keep him. Agree with the people saying he doesn't have enough goals in him though, think we need to add another striker to the squad as well as keeping Fabio.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,353 posts | 1024 
      Reply #51: May 19, 2014 03:38:08 pm

If we, finally, land that quality wide attacker/striker Brendan has been seeking, the chances are he'll play in a mobile, interchangeable front three. Or, if you prefer, he too will be a "1st choice striker".

Exactly what I was thinking. I'm sure that's one of the reasons behind Rodgers looking for versatile players.

That's why I believe Alexis Sanchez (or someone like him) would be the ideal signing. It would mean we could still accommodate all our best forwards, meaning Suarez and Sturridge won't suffer.  Also, as you say, Rodgers has showed that he is capable of imposing different formations which would eliminate the problem of having to worry about an injury or 2.

P.S. Anyone that is worried about Suarez getting injured needs to get that checked out. No joke, you may have underlying problems, trust issues or maybe a serious medical condition.

ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,353 posts | 1024 
      Reply #52: May 19, 2014 03:41:06 pm
      Sorry for going off topic. I would add that I would like to see Borini remain here as our 4th choice striker (or 2nd if we use BBB's logic).
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #53: May 19, 2014 07:24:45 pm
      I would add that I would like to see Borini remain here as our 4th choice striker

And who would be the 3rd?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,072 posts | 2748 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #54: May 19, 2014 07:25:40 pm
      Id defo keep him and give him a chance
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,353 posts | 1024 
      Reply #55: May 19, 2014 08:06:59 pm
      Alexis Sanchez, as above.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #56: May 19, 2014 08:34:06 pm
      He does have excellent movement but in truth, when your playing a team that parks the bus having just movement isn't enough, in fact I'd argue a player like Borini is at his least effective against the bus parkers because he doesn't have much in his locker to beat a player in order to drag other defenders away from their position. Movement surely is more important (and effective) against teams that afford some space to move into?

No, because we have a high number of players who can carry the ball - Suarez, Sturridge, Sterling, Coutinho, Allen, Ibe, Texeira, Alberto (and supposedly Moses when he can be arsed) are all excellent at working in tight spaces and gettig past a man.

That's the problem that Arsenal have - they pass the ball too often and it is much easier to shut down their penetrative play by collapsing the spaces and passing lanes. They just end up with the lion's share of possession kicking from left to right and back again in front of the two banks of four. The more space there is the more you can get away with having poor movement because there is a higher margin for error.

When Borini moves the covering defender HAS to follow him until the next defender can leave his position and cover him - it's in those corridors of uncertainty where defenders are trying to decide whether to stick or twist that gaps get opened up and a team like ous can exploit them - as long as we don't lose our heads as we did against Chelsea.

It was so frustrating to see us playing stupid crosses and hopeful long shots in that game instead of patiently trying to pull defenders one way and another and sliding Suarez in. Right now there is no=one better in world football in those conditions. Of course, playing against park-the-bus teams (as many will be next season) means that you don't need lots of power and pace or strength and heading ability (since crosses aren't much good). You need a striker who thinks and moves fast, has good acceleration and works hard for the team to open spaces.

That's Borini to a tee and its why he will be here next season. If, after that, he doesn't take his chances we will get another player like him.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #57: May 19, 2014 08:45:54 pm

We have to sign him first, there will be quite a bit of competition for him too.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #58: May 19, 2014 09:02:33 pm
      When Borini moves the covering defender HAS to follow him until the next defender can leave his position and cover him

right, the only problem with that is that Borini has a poor touch and missed sitters like it was going out of style when he was with us.  Remember that empty netter against Oldham.... oh dear.  Or that tap-in against Udinese.  ffs. 

Point being: the defenders stop tracking the forward who makes a run once they know that even if he does get the ball, he's unlikely to do anything with it.  If Sturridge is running at the defense and Suarez pulls off, they'll stick to him like glue because if Suarez gets it, it's in the back of the net.  And vice-a-versa.  If Sterling makes an overlapping run then they cover him because he can put it in the back of the net with ease.

If Borini makes a run then the defenders know he'll either kick it out with his first touch or will most likely put it over the bar.  Much easier to just double up on Suarez then stick someone onto Borini.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #59: May 19, 2014 09:23:57 pm
      Sure - that's a dangerous tactic though when Suarez provides such a high number of assists.

Like I said - if Borini doesn't prove upto the job we still need another player like him - time will tell. Given that he's already here though it would make sense to see if we can use him rather than spend money in the market when we have other priorities.

He is still years off his peak and, if our team can read his runs, there is a possibility he might just click.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,353 posts | 1024 
      Reply #60: May 19, 2014 09:35:50 pm
      We have to sign him first, there will be quite a bit of competition for him too.
      Nobody seems to be reading what I'm saying today.

I was asked who my 3rd choice striker would be and I said Sanchez, I know it's not confirmed or anything, that would just be my preference.

Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #61: May 31, 2014 06:52:58 am
      @JackSear
      Barrett says Borini is NOT surplus to requirements but that Sunderland are likely to test our resolve with a bid of around £12m

Jeez, where is the delay? I would gladly take that amount and put it back for Pedro
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,675 posts | 3696 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #62: May 31, 2014 07:04:40 am
      If we buy Lambert, an offer of 12M+ I would accept it but not for less. He is very decent but has to improve a lot. Much better option then Aspas.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #63: May 31, 2014 07:22:11 am
      I'd take 12m for him, especially if we are bringing in other options. Otherwise he stays and works hard for a place or goes out on loan again.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #64: May 31, 2014 07:29:07 am
      Different player now likes a start every week,hungry wanting to prove a point,hes got CL football next season if he gets it right he just needs to grab Brendan's attention.
      I think the lad will be a huge asset for us no matter who comes in but its Brendan's call, I would at least like to see him given the chance to shine, then again hard cash for the bigger picture say £12-£14 million could sway the argument if a more prolific player is on the gaffers radar .     
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #65: May 31, 2014 07:57:03 am
      Think £12m is more than a fair price for Borini.

Being left with 3 strikers though would people think that's enough? Personally feel we'd need one more who could fill in at a push, perhaps use the money on a wide attacker who can also operate as a striker at a pinch.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #66: May 31, 2014 08:35:12 am
      no one will be stupid enough to give us £12m for Borini. 
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #67: May 31, 2014 09:28:34 am
      Borini should only be sold if we are going to buy someone to replace him.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,898 posts | 4968 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #68: May 31, 2014 10:20:26 am
      Sell Fabio,  £12-£14m, use it to go get either Bony or Lukaku ?

Suarez, Sturridge, Lambert,Bony/Lukaku not to shabby a front 4, add, Sterling, Coutinho, Lallana as creators/attackers, backed up with Hendo, Martinez, Gerrard and a back 4 of Flanno, Skrtel, Lovren, Moreno.......getting carried away here....but getting very excited also !

YNWA

Quick Reply