Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Sturridge and "binge-scoring"

Read 1359 times
      Guruji
      • Forum Dean Saunders
      • Started Topic

• 63 posts | 55 
      Sturridge and "binge-scoring"
      May 27, 2014 11:08:49 pm
      Sturridge has had a fantastic start to his Liverpool career and finished off a fruitful campaign with 21 PL goals. However, I recently saw a statistic comparing him with Suarez which I thought was very interesting:

- In his 29 PL appearances this season, Sturridge scored in 19 different games. 17 of these games he scored 1 goal, with the two other matches yielding a brace (against Everton and Swansea).
      - Meanwhile in 33 PL appearances for Suarez, the Uruguayan scored in 18 different games. In 9 of these games he scored atleast 2 goals or better.

These stats show that technically Sturridge was actually more 'prolific' than Suarez this season, in the sense that he scored in more games with less appearances. However, Suarez trumped Daniel's overall outlay by 10 goals simply because 50% of the games in which he scored he would go on to get a brace, a hat-trick or even more.

In the modern age a great goal-to-game ratio isn't 1:2 but now closer to 1:1 as achieved by the likes of Messi, Ronaldo and Suarez. To join that illustrious company Studge has to (IMO) start "binge-scoring" i.e. scoring heavily in individual games.

We saw at the start of the season when Suarez was out that we won our first three games 1-0, with Sturridge the match-winner in each game. However with our defence being so inconsistent, if we were to rely solely on Sturridge again we might not be as successful the next time round.

Overall this is not a criticism of Sturridge, just an idea of how he can get even better. It's easier said than done though; I remember the game against Everton at Anfield when he scored twice and then became very selfish in trying to get his hat-trick that he eventually got hauled off after 80 minutes. But the good news is he is only 24, has yet to reach his peak and I believe can reach the highest level under our Boss.

PS. Mods feel free to move this to Player thread if you feel it's more suitable
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Re: Sturridge and "binge-scoring"
      Reply #1: May 28, 2014 03:06:52 am
      Can't wait to see a second season of them together... we are lucky fans!

I feel when Studge is on he's on, and when he's off he's off.... he isn't like Suarez who works his ass off and wants that goal so damn bad, he would KILL for that goal.. Studge probably isn't a killer yet, let's hope he becomes one.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #2: May 28, 2014 09:54:12 am
      He just needs to do what he does best: 1. run, 2. control the ball and 3. score.
      He has pace and incredible technique, he just needs better to find his position in the team and Coutinho, Gerrard and Hendo will give him the passes he needs to score.

I think he would have scored more if he had a no. 10 playing just for him like Torres had with Gerrard. Sturridge is a real goal scorer with all required qualities but he is not a creator like Suarez. But 21 goals and being the second best striker of the EPL is enough for me :scarf: ... even though I'm sure he can score more.
      He had a better season than Rooney, Van Persie, Aguero, Dzeko, Negredo, Soldado, Demba Ba and Eto'o!

I think the real issue of the team is the midfield which is not good enough. Hendo had been great but he needs to create more occasions and improve his scoring abilities. Coutinho needs to keep it simple and he will eventually score. Gerrard needs to improve his positioning as a DM, he has a lot to learn from Lucas here.
      If the midfield improves, our attack and defense will improve.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #3: May 28, 2014 12:56:25 pm
      Interesting stats on the spread of games. I've always felt that Sturridge was a consistent scorer and that is so valuable in the modern game. I'd be interested to see how many of his goals were assisted by suarez though.

If you think his consistency was impressive, how about his minute-to-goal ratio? He has scored a goal in every 83 minutes. That's higher than Ronaldo, Messi, Suarez and Ibrahimovic (only Aguero has a better record).

The kid is class and I feel he will only get better. I don't think he needs to binge score, I think there are other areas of his game he can improve on. All great strikers need to be greedy, but occasionally, I feel his decision making lets him down and he could find a much easier pass then go for goal. Also, his work rate isn't as high as Suarez (but who's work rate is tbh). In any case, he doesn't hunt the ball down as much as Suarez does.

Minor criticisms though. I'm looking forward to next season. Second season usually reveals a lot about whether a player is class or just having a good run. Though, there are many indications that Sturridge will be class again. We're blessed to have him by Suarez's side.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #4: May 28, 2014 12:59:58 pm
      Interesting OP.

I think the results may have been skewed by the early season form, when with just one main striker we were playing different football to what we played towards the end of the season.

He is by no means the finished article and he has plenty to improve upon in his game, but I'd happily take a goal a game from any forward.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #5: Sep 05, 2014 08:05:02 pm
      May not be scoring for a while. The England International Curse strikes again. 'Sturridge off for a scan to see how bad the injury is, he picked up in training today' ....
      Heard it on Radio 1 news earlier. Anyone have any idea how bad it is, or even what it is ?
      Hope it's only minor. Be good if he can be rested against the Swiss as a precaution, and get him fit for Villa.

Quick Reply