Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Does Brendan Need A Trophy *This* Season?

Read 28701 times
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Re: Does Brendan Need A Trophy *This* Season?
      Reply #115: Mar 03, 2015 12:11:58 pm
      We'll I don't like it.

The club and modern fans are wrong in my opinion and if all I had to look forward to was finishing 3rd/4th every season and 'competing' in the CL then it depresses the hell out of me.

That's a short sighted view though mate. It's not that anyone values Champions league more than a trophy, it's that Champions League money means better players to help you win more trophies than you would with a team full of mediocrity. In the last fifteen years, (I think its) only four times has the FA Cup been won by a team that didn't finish in the top four. That's what a top four finish means. The fact is that if we want to be consistently successful, we can only do that by focusing on the top four in the short term and building a squad capable of dominating domestically and in Europe. Only once we have that can we compete for trophies on a regular basis.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #116: Mar 03, 2015 12:22:45 pm
      That's a short sighted view though mate.

I don't care if it is short sighted, quite frankly, and if I sit in ten years time and only have playing in the CL to look back on it is a depressing thought.

I don't see why one has to come without the other and it is the thinking that 'top four' in itself is an achievement that annoys me the most.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #117: Mar 03, 2015 12:29:44 pm
      Finishing outside the top 4 but winning both FA cup and League cup for 10 years in a row wouldn’t give us the funds or clout to attract the top players
      The obverse side to that, of course, is that; being able to attract top players [I'm not 100% sure you can't attract them without CL btw] and wanting to pay top players are two separate things but neither mean F**k all if all you aim for is a top four finish and the money it brings.

The truth is; way more often than not, 'top four' teams win both the League and F.A. Cups. Truth be told, there's no reason why you can't or shouldn't finish in a CL spot and win domestic cups. Want to be taken seriously as a top team? You win trophies.

Like it or not - Winning trophies is what, by definition, earned us the title 'England's most successful football club'... not our record in finishing in a position which only gives us entry to the wrongly named "Champions" League.  :D

"Does Brendan Need A Trophy *This* Season?" - not in my opinion but F**k it would be great; both a great feeling and a great marker of where our team is at.

That said: next season isn't stretching expectation too far. 

« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2015 12:45:14 pm by bad boy bubby »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #118: Mar 03, 2015 12:43:46 pm
      The title is a bit misleading does he "need" a trophy - no..... But would he like to win a trophy you bet your bottom dollar, he has said as much himself.

No reason to believe why a trophy a finishing top 4 should not be a minimum requirement each season.
      We have a big and good enough squad to achieve those sort of aims.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #119: Mar 03, 2015 01:10:05 pm
      To answer to the question "Does Brendan need a trophy this season?", I would have to say "for what?".

If the question is, does he need a trophy this season to keep his job? Then no, of course not, he's done a great job for two seasons in a row, and whilst it's early to say where we'll finish in the season, regardless of what happends, I want to see him in the job next season to see the end product of what he's been building, and probably the season after.

If the question is, does he need a trophy this season because we're LFC and we need trophies, then of course he does. Every top manager wants a trophy every season and BR said himself he wants to win trophies. I desparately want the FA cup AND finish top four because not only it's what this club should be aiming for minimum, it's what I think we deserve on what I have seen so far this season. Having only the league cup in almost 8 years is not befitting of this club.

We do have to be pragmatic and look at what we have gone through in the past 7 or 8 years. It took a long time to steady the ship after the cancerous pair left, and it took a long time to get the confidence back after owl face. Having the worst owners in the world, and going through 4 managers in 10 years is not a good way to bring success. He has almost rebuilt the squad from scratch and I wouldn't want to put him under unnecessary preassure, he prob does that himself already, but it's not harmful to want trophies every season.

I think there is a difference between being passionate fans and wanting trophies every season, and wanting trophies every season otherwise turning on the manager.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #120: Mar 03, 2015 02:10:54 pm
      The obverse side to that, of course, is that; being able to attract top players [I'm not 100% sure you can't attract them without CL btw] and wanting to pay top players are two separate things but neither mean f**k all if all you aim for is a top four finish and the money it brings.

The truth is; way more often than not, 'top four' teams win both the League and F.A. Cups. Truth be told, there's no reason why you can't or shouldn't finish in a CL spot and win domestic cups. Want to be taken seriously as a top team? You win trophies.

Like it or not - Winning trophies is what, by definition, earned us the title 'England's most successful football club'... not our record in finishing in a position which only gives us entry to the wrongly named "Champions" League.  :D

"Does Brendan Need A Trophy *This* Season?" - not in my opinion but f**k it would be great; both a great feeling and a great marker of where our team is at.

That said: next season isn't stretching expectation too far.

You are right about recent clubs in winning the LC in particular, Chelsea and city won it in the last 2 years, but until its we are regulars in CL there like Chelsea and others, finishing in the top 4 has to be the priority, over Cup runs… that’s all my point is.

Im not saying im not bothered, or I don’t want any cup success, because I do. Winning is what it’s all about BUT… there needs to be a plan for us to challenge for League titles long term. And that is the only trophy I want... The Premier League title! IMO winninng domestic cups doesnt bring us closer to that... finishing in the top 4 does
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #121: Mar 03, 2015 02:21:49 pm
      finishing in the top 4 has to be the priority, over Cup runs… that’s all my point is.
      I get your point JM and fully understand where it's coming from.  :nod:

The thing is; after three seasons and £200m+ spent; top four is [should be] a given. There is no reason (in all honesty) why we can't and shouldn't expect a trophy to go with it. I just don't see why, at this point in our "growth", we need to prioritise.

Then again; maybe it's just my expectations are higher than some other people's.  :-\
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #122: Mar 03, 2015 02:30:30 pm

The thing is; after three seasons and £200m+ spent; top four is [should be] a given. There is no reason (in all honesty) why we can't and shouldn't expect a trophy to go with it. I just don't see why, at this point in our "growth", we need to prioritise.

Then again; maybe it's just my expectations are higher than some other people's.  :-\

No need for a compromise this season.

FA Cup and 2nd in the league.
      No pressure, Brendan.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #123: Mar 03, 2015 02:44:59 pm

I agree we should always go for the pots... its what LFC is all about.

But football in 2015 is'nt just about trophies ....

i want to get where its a given we qualify for CL every seaosn and cup finals become regular too

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #124: Mar 03, 2015 02:52:57 pm
      But football in 2015 is'nt just about trophies ....
      It is... That said; I get fully understand what you're trying to say.   :gt-happyup:
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #125: Mar 03, 2015 03:15:07 pm
      It is... That said; I get fully understand what you're trying to say.   :gt-happyup:

back at ya  :scarf:
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #126: Mar 03, 2015 03:17:55 pm

So now you think a trophy is needed? ;)
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #127: Mar 03, 2015 03:23:21 pm
      So now you think a trophy is needed? ;)

na, not really... an agree to disagree moment I thought!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #128: Mar 03, 2015 03:57:59 pm
      I'm not so sure we should be demanding a trophy this season irrespective of the monies Brendan has spent thus far, if you compare the amount of money the likes of Arse, Spuds, Scum, and the Zillionaires of Chavs & Shitty have used to buy titles or compete in cups then I think Brendan should be afforded one more free season,

When you factor in selling your best players and having to bed in new ones and then find a system to suit those new players I believe we have to give Brendan the benefit of doubt and not pressurise too much,

Patience is what is required both from we fans and of course the cheque signers, is it fair to say tho that the patience is starting to wear thin ?

Well, IMO not really, I think most of us will agree that BR is the right man and that he will deliver those regular CL spots and title challenges, something of course we all crave, if given enough time,

Is it fair then that if we don't lift silverware this season or fail to reach CL that Brendan is invited to Boston and relieved of his services ?

Definitely not in my eyes, I look at how we were August to November then look at where we could be if weren't for our sh*t start,
      The football we're playing now and the confidence the players have, and how Brendan has used players in different positions to fit his system, the balance, the rhythm, it's a no brainer !

I think he will bring silverware, I also think he will deliver no 19 and of course regular CL qualification, might not be this season but as sure as there is sh*t from a shitting dog, it will happen, be a little more patient, and BELIEVE !!

IBWT

YNWA
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,191 posts | 1274 
      Reply #129: Mar 03, 2015 04:37:51 pm
      Getting competitive against the best teams in the world is the priority, not trophies.

I'd rather we were competing well with the likes of Madrid, Barca, Munich, Chelsea and City in the league for example to start off with.

Of course, this means getting in the Champions League and performing much better than the shambles we were earlier this season. So Brendan should be achieving this first of all - same goes for the league, though - as last week showed - we are more competent at the big English sides than the big Euro sides.

Then once we have banked the money, have a good solid and sustainable foundation and competing with the best then THAT is the time for expectations.

This is coming from the basis of all the trauma experienced the last 6 years. We cannot underestimate the volatility of the club in recent years so it's crucial for the future and prospects of this club to be competitive at the highest level and get us in a secure position financially and on the pitch - that is the first stage we need to achieve. We aren't quite there yet but the manager is going the right way of things. A domestic cup would be lovely, but for now - just now - it's a bonus until we get the ship fully afloat.

Once the ship is in full sail, then that is the time for expectations, no excuses.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #130: Mar 03, 2015 04:39:13 pm
      I don't care if it is short sighted, quite frankly, and if I sit in ten years time and only have playing in the CL to look back on it is a depressing thought.

I don't see why one has to come without the other and it is the thinking that 'top four' in itself is an achievement that annoys me the most.

It's an achievement in and of itself only if it leads to success. Arsenal have lost sight of what the Champions league should be about. Under Wenger, it's taken on a life of its own, much to the disappointment of most Gunner's fans and I wouldn't be terribly impressed if we went down the same route. The Top four must be with a view to long term sustainable success otherwise it's pointless.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #131: Mar 03, 2015 04:41:41 pm
      we need to either win something or get to finals to be considered a powerhouse again. yes we have the fan base that's a given but if we are all really honest we are not classed as a powerhouse across Europe and teams dont fear us like they used to. Its taking longer than we all thought but BR is the man that's taking us in the right direction we just need to stick with him. if we can get the FA cup and a top 4 finish this summer will be very interesting now that we are in profit we will have more money to spend in the summer.
      i want us to be similar to Arsenal financial wise but actually winning trophies and getting far in Europe. so to answer the post yes he needs a trophy for his own gain and for the respect of other managers.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #132: Mar 03, 2015 04:52:25 pm
      The counter point... If a trophy isn't a must this season and champions league qualification is the priority...

Will you, those who have prioritised, (and put up such great arguments as to why CL qualification is the primary objective), deem Brendan a failure should we finish outside the top four but with the FA Cup?   ;)  >:D
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #133: Mar 03, 2015 05:22:21 pm
      It's possible that we neither win a cup or finish in 4th or better.

Still would not want another manager.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #134: Mar 03, 2015 05:24:54 pm
      The counter point... If a trophy isn't a must this season and champions league qualification is the priority...

Will you, those who have prioritised, (and put up such great arguments as to why CL qualification is the primary objective), deem Brendan a failure should we finish outside the top four but with the FA Cup?   ;)  >:D

Achievement levels seem to be immaterial mate with those that are judge and jury - our owners.
      The supporters aspirations are in effect immaterial in the real world.

Winning merely an FA cup is not apparently enough to stave off the bullet if experience is anything to go by; nevertheless we must not forget who appointed our manager and the ramifications of that staved off bullet striking JWH in the foot.
      JEvans
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #135: Mar 03, 2015 06:05:23 pm
      FA Cup would be lovely but look at Arsenal, in the long run it means very little. Top 4 is priority for me although I couldn't bare losing to the mancs in the final.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,191 posts | 1274 
      Reply #136: Mar 03, 2015 06:20:08 pm

It won't be considered the progress I want - of course it's a great achievement but in today's football it doesn't get us anywhere near the level of a superclub. Rodgers wouldn't be a failure in my eyes - managers should only be considered a failure when there is proof that the man can progress the club. There's much evidence that he has all the ability to build us up as a force again. Concerns about the first half of the season are legitimate, but I think that was a major juggling act where he had to contend with the best player leaving, the second best getting injured, while bedding in players in a system that takes time for players to adapt.

I'll take the cup of course and would be delighted but consistently getting Champions League football can build us up and up and up as a club where we can dominate like the old days. Then we can realistically expect to challenge for any trophy.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #137: Mar 03, 2015 08:38:53 pm

I wouldn't deem the gaffer a failure but I would the season, yes. To go from runners up by two points to finishing fifth (or lower) could not be deemed a successful season just because we'd won a trophy and any cup won would be paper over the cracks. All the while the financial gap between ourselves and the rich clubs and is getting ever wider. We're not an Arsenal or United that can afford a season or two outside of the Champions league, we're playing continual catch up because of years of mismanagement at the top of the club. Finishing outside of the top four, even with a trophy, would be disastrous for our long term success.

Quick Reply